The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 23 July 2019, 02:33 AM   #61
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I bury them all in holes around the backyard
.. Bodies or watches?
Aquaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:21 AM   #62
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
.. Bodies or watches?

https://imgur.com/c7NJRa2.gif
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 03:22 AM   #63
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
Your a sick man bringing fat Ninja child into this
Old 23 July 2019, 03:41 AM   #64
slashd0t
"TRF" Member

Watch: This & That
Nothing is perfect.. Safe deposit boxes reduce risk.. Insurance reduces risk.. All these things are designed to lessen the risk.

I'd argue a watch is much safer in a safe deposit bank vs a house. If you could calculate how many safe deposit boxes are lost/broken into per day vs houses broken into across the US on a daily basis, it would be MUCH safer to put your watch in a safe deposit box.

Just because there is an isolated incident - doesn't mean it isn't safe. If we used this logic, flying wouldn't be safe. In fact, either is walking, swimming, eating, showering, exercise or any other host of actives because people have been hurt doing literally everything on this planet.

Hell, people die in their sleep - so sleeping isn't safe! The headline is sensationalized - nothing is perfect - ever.
Old 23 July 2019, 03:53 AM   #65
psv
"TRF" Member

Darn.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 04:02 AM   #66
John S
"TRF" Member

My friend do it like this:

He bought a few smaller safes, put them in different locations at home (i.e. master bedroom, family room, den, etc.) For most of the safes, he put some stones inside, with a "good luck" note. Set the alarm. Whenever there's a break in, the alarm go off. The thieves will usually stay no more than 5 min. When they found the safes in master bedroom, family room, etc., they are more than happy to pick it up and run. Doesn't want to stay long, and take the risk of being caught.

It lower the chance of losing your valuable items.
Old 23 July 2019, 04:57 AM   #67
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
For all those that think safety deposit boxes are the way to go...

I'd much rather have my watches in a safe at my house. At the very least, I have them with me and can pick out what to wear without having to visit a bank...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/19/b...box-theft.html
Old 23 July 2019, 06:25 AM   #68
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S View Post
My friend do it like this:

He bought a few smaller safes, put them in different locations at home (i.e. master bedroom, family room, den, etc.) For most of the safes, he put some stones inside, with a "good luck" note. Set the alarm. Whenever there's a break in, the alarm go off. The thieves will usually stay no more than 5 min. When they found the safes in master bedroom, family room, etc., they are more than happy to pick it up and run. Doesn't want to stay long, and take the risk of being caught.

It lower the chance of losing your valuable items.
You should tell your friend there is no point having a safe in the house that thieves can simply pick up and run out of the house with lol. Sounds like hotel safes that are pretty much useless.

I have a safe at home. The thing weighs over 3000lbs and is also bolted from the inside through to the concrete floor. No one is going to pick it up. You will need a couple of Mike Tysons plus a crane to yank that thing out.

However I still never keep more than two of my expensive watches at home at any point in time. That is a golden rule I try to stick to. The rest are locked up in safety deposit boxes. I drive there, rotate the watches and drive back. Takes me 30 mins total round trip to one box and 40 mins to the other. I can live with that. My wife does the same with her jewellery.

What scares me isn't what will happen when me and my family are not in the house. Let the burglars try as much as they like to break into the safe etc. What scares me is when someone breaks in when YOU ARE IN THE HOUSE. The quality of your safe rapidly becomes irrelevant when they have a gun/knife pointed at your kids head and ask you to open it. My neighbourhood is considered very safe but this exact thing happened to an acquaintance of mine. He got out of his car in his own driveway and four guys came out of nowhere and forced him to let them into the house. They threatened his family until he gave them all the valuables in the house.

So no I will never keep most of my valuables at home. But I will always have some items in the safe etc to give them if indeed such an unfortunate thing did ever happen. The last thing you want is to have nothing at home and they don't believe you...........
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:29 AM   #69
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
You should tell your friend there is no point having a safe in the house that thieves can simply pick up and run out of the house with lol. Sounds like hotel safes that are pretty much useless

I have a safe at home. The thing weighs over 3000lbs and is also bolted from the inside through to the concrete floor. No one is going to pick it up lol. You will need a couple of Mike Tysons plus a crane to yank that thing out.

However I still never keep more than two of my expensive watches at home at any point in time. That is a golden rule I try to stick to. The rest are locked up in safety deposit boxes. I drive there, rotate the watches and drive back. Takes me 30 mins total round trip to one box and 40 mins to the other. I can live with that. My wife does the same with her jewellery.

What scares me isn't what will happen when me and my family are not in the house. Let the burglars try as much as they like to break into the safe etc. What scares me is when they someone breaks in when YOU ARE IN THE HOUSE. The safe very rapidly becomes irrelevant when they have a gun/knife pointed at your kids head and ask you to open it etc. My neighbourhood is considered very safe but this exact thing happened to an acquaintance of mine. He got out of his car in his own driveway and four guys came out of nowhere and forced him to let them into the house. They threatened his family until he gave them all the valuables in the house.

So no I will never keep most of my valuables at home. But I will always have some items in the safe etc to give them if indeed such an unfortunate thing did ever happen. The last thing you want is to have nothing at home and they dont believe you.......

from the moment i saw u i was scared , now u have scared me more
Old 23 July 2019, 06:33 AM   #70
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Can we merge all these threads at least.

2 million home burglaries a year vs 44 Safe Deposit burglaries over the last 5 years tells me which is safer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:34 AM   #71
tng11
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You should tell your friend there is no point having a safe in the house that thieves can simply pick up and run out of the house with lol. Sounds like hotel safes that are pretty much useless.

I have a safe at home. The thing weighs over 3000lbs and is also bolted from the inside through to the concrete floor. No one is going to pick it up. You will need a couple of Mike Tysons plus a crane to yank that thing out.

What scares me isn't what will happen when me and my family are not in the house. Let the burglars try as much as they like to break into the safe etc. What scares me is when someone breaks in when YOU ARE IN THE HOUSE. The quality of your safe rapidly becomes irrelevant when they have a gun/knife pointed at your kids head and ask you to open it. My neighbourhood is considered very safe but this exact thing happened to an acquaintance of mine. He got out of his car in his own driveway and four guys came out of nowhere and forced him to let them into the house. They threatened his family until he gave them all the valuables in the house.

So no I will never keep most of my valuables at home. But I will always have some items in the safe etc to give them if indeed such an unfortunate thing did ever happen. The last thing you want is to have nothing at home and they don't believe you...........
Unfortunate as it is, I follow this line of thinking. I have a few pieces at home that are under my insurance policy's blanket limit, the rest all sit in my safe deposit box which is a 10 minute walk from home or the office. I'll take my chances with a safe deposit box despite this article.

I do have a decoy safe at home, filled with not so valuable things. Anyone trying to cart that out will break their back for little reward. Actual valuables are locked up in the bank or hidden in obscure locations.
tng11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 06:39 AM   #72
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
from the moment i saw u i was scared , now u have scared me more

I am quite a nice chap when you get to know me. Golf and wine are my only vices
Old 23 July 2019, 07:00 AM   #73
Aquaman
Banned

Quote:

I am quite a nice chap when you get to know me. Golf and wine are my only vices
e

u look scary in real life
Old 23 July 2019, 07:09 AM   #74
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
e

u look scary in real life
Really? Might keep the burglars away
Old 23 July 2019, 07:17 AM   #75
ts3
"TRF" Member

ragsk's post makes a lot of sense to me.

The girl's parents live by similar rules on a remote farm and there have been burglaries over the years, including one when they were home...

Based on where I live I am not too concerned. Since the 1950s there has just been a single attempt to unlawfully enter an apartment in my building and that has been unsuccessful. Prob more likely the cleaning lady cleans the pl of my watches... But then again she's been with us w/o incident for 15 years...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 07:59 AM   #76
jcoltrane
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Most higher-end safes have a silent alarm for that scenario. Punch in a different code or use a different fingerprint and the bad guys won't get very far with your stuff.
jcoltrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:06 AM   #77
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I understand the appeal of a massive safe anchored to concrete but I would never entertain that option due to the rare instance the burglars want to stick around and make you or worse your family open it. Just not worth it.

Decoy safe and probably 10-15k in random valuables already hanging around the house should burglars gain entry. If I am home god help them they are going to be staring down the wrong side of a 45.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:14 AM   #78
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Man, some of you seem pretty afraid of the world around you. That’s gotta suck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 23 July 2019, 08:23 AM   #79
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.m.b. View Post

Not me. I’m a ninja
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:23 AM   #80
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
I understand the appeal of a massive safe anchored to concrete but I would never entertain that option due to the rare instance the burglars want to stick around and make you or worse your family open it. Just not worth it.

Decoy safe and probably 10-15k in random valuables already hanging around the house should burglars gain entry. If I am home god help them they are going to be staring down the wrong side of a 45.
Whatever safe it is, I just use it to store a few things. Most of my valuables are in bank vaults.

And when I am not at home I want that safe to be very theft resistant. Coz even if I just have a basic 5711 and Rolex plus some jewellery and a few bits in there its adds up to a chunk of money. So dropping £5000+ on a safe thats up to the job to me makes sense.

And if you are in the house and the burglars make you open it then whether its a decoy or anchored proper high value rated safe is irrelevant. You are still going to open it (your 45 aside lol).

So I would rather have a proper safe to protect whatever valuables I have in the house when I am not at home. Decoy safes are of little value - easy to get into or walk away with when you are not at home, the same threat when you are at home.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:24 AM   #81
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
Not me. I’m a ninja
Oh, I know you fear nothing!
Old 23 July 2019, 08:25 AM   #82
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Not even remotely. I live in an area that was voted the safest city in america a few times. I just prefer to be pragmatic and logical about how to handle unwanted circumstances.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:25 AM   #83
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Not at all! I said the risk of a home invasion remains the same regardless of whether the watches are at the bank or at his home. His home will look the same for any potential burglar... You disagree? Just the potential loss in watches will be different, not the risk to the family...
The risk comes to the family if there’s a 2000 lb safe in the house and thugs break in when I’m not home. God forbid, one of the kids is asked to open it, and maybe can’t ....

Granted a break in is traumatic either way, I just think having a safe might have the potential to elevate the robbery to the next level.

Maybe I’m right maybe I’m wrong, but I’ll keep using the bank to store my valuables and assume that risk vs. the other. Gotta sleep at night so whatever works for you

I’d rather keep valuables off site and let them steal the TVs and whatever cash and jewelry we have on hand. Again just my way of thinking and I realize I may be in the minority.

I agree with you, the house looks the same either way to burglars until they see the safe.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 July 2019, 08:27 AM   #84
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Whatever safe it is, I just use it to store a few things. Most of my valuables are in bank vaults.

And when I am not at home I want that safe to be very theft resistant. Coz even if I just have a basic 5711 and Rolex plus some jewellery and a few bits in there its adds up to a chunk of money. So dropping £5000+ on a safe thats up to the job to me makes sense.

And if you are in the house and the burglars make you open it then whether its a decoy or anchored proper high value rated safe is irrelevant. You are still going to open it (your 45 aside lol).

So I would rather have a proper safe to protect whatever valuables I have in the house when I am not at home. Decoy safes are of little value - easy to get into or walk away with when you are not at home, the same threat when you are at home.
That is the whole point. They leave with the decoy thinking they have something. If they see a $5,000 safe in your basement they might consider taking the risk of sticking around for you to return.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:27 AM   #85
ragsk
Banned

Quote:

Who said I was afraid? Getting a safe doesn't make you afraid. Nor does keeping your eggs in different baskets. It just makes you less stupid.

I would rather keep most of my valuables in bank vaults and not at home.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:29 AM   #86
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
That is the whole point. They leave with the decoy thinking they have something. If they see a $5,000 safe in your basement they might consider taking the risk of sticking around for you to return.
I understand your point buy my alarm and every freaking camera around the house would tell me they are in there.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:30 AM   #87
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not even remotely. I live in an area that was voted the safest city in america a few times. I just prefer to be pragmatic and logical about how to handle unwanted circumstances.
Perhaps a bit more theoretical than pragmatic and/or logical. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:31 AM   #88
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Who said I was afraid? Getting a safe doesn't make you afraid. Nor does keeping your eggs in different baskets. It just makes you less stupid.

I would rather keep most of my valuables in bank vaults and not at home.
Yeah...
Old 23 July 2019, 08:32 AM   #89
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Mate my alarm and every freaking camera around the house would tell me they are in there.
Valid point.

Quote:
Perhaps a bit more theoretical than pragmatic and/or logical.
Old 23 July 2019, 08:34 AM   #90
s.m.b.
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Valid point.