The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 12 November 2018, 06:35 AM   #1
Roger Lococco
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126719BLRO Pepsi
Any GO Panolunar owners here?

I've had my eye on this watch for years, but not pulled the trigger. Primarily, the white face on steel bracelet.

Would love to hear any candid thoughts from owners or others who have considered this reference. My only nit with it when I saw it in person was the way the big date looked - i.e. discs were visibly offset and the white was different from the dial color.
Roger Lococco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 06:58 AM   #2
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

I don't own one, but it's on my "list" and I've visited it at the boutique several times. The bracelet is fine but not amazing, and in my opinion makes the white-dial version look a bit boring. I haven't seen the blue dial on a bracelet, but I suspect I'd like that more. The white-dial big date looks fine to me in person, but, yeah, the disks are definitely visible. I suspect the colour does match reasonably well, but it's inset far enough that it tends to be in shadow and look darker. On the blue version, I'd swear from some angles it's actually a black datewheel, but in direct light it's clearly blue. On the blue version the discs blend better, and on a black dial they almost completely disappear (which looks great).

But that's just my own opinions on your concerns. Frankly, I think all versions of the watch look great. I'd probably already own it if the rose gold and black version weren't so stunning but at twice the price, which makes me hold off on the steel one.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 07:09 AM   #3
Jocke
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A dozen of Rolex's
I have one of each and I totally love them, maybe the current model a little more. I have no problem to read the date.

What is best a custom Rolex or a Rolex that is stuck in custom?

Buy a professional camera and you´re a professional
photographer, buy a flute and you own a flute.
Jocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 09:26 AM   #4
jonski
"TRF" Member

Watch: Urwerk103
Incredible bang for buck
Old 12 November 2018, 09:35 AM   #5
xspect
"TRF" Member

The thickness it what holds me back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 11:38 AM   #6
GSDLover
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5205r-010
I bought the panomaticlunar after seeing Jocke's photographs. You should check them out.
I think the dial, actually the whole watch is gorgeous.
It's a light, balanced, easy to read interesting watch.
GSDLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 01:24 PM   #7
themast
"TRF" Member

I also own one in part because of Jocke’s photographs.

The date wheel has never bothered me in terms of colour. In terms of its position, in certain regards the location of the date wheel makes it more balanced on the older reference but it depends on how you look at it. If you focus on Jocke’s photo above you see what I mean. On the older reference the date wheel filled the space between the time dial and the bezel better in my opinion but the moonphase indication was less harmonized with the rest of the dial.

The watch is a bit thick but I like it that way, it gives it a nice presence and it is well proportioned.

I made a thread discussing my decision against the JLC MUT. Let me know if you can’t find it, you will find some more food for thoughts in that thread.719BEB4F-FDB8-4398-B3D1-DCA3CA992405.jpeg
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 November 2018, 01:57 PM   #8
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I like the first generation best and have considered getting one for a long time but it never materialized. GO makes excellent watches for the money.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2018, 09:46 AM   #9
Jace
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platinum DD 40
I owned one for several years. It is an absolutely amazing watch for the money. It is beautiful. The semi circular date and different color is an aesthetic choice. Lange has the same issue they just put a bar between the dates.

The reason that I got rid of it was because it was a alligator strap watch. I made a decision a few years ago to only wear a bracelet watches. I live in South Florida and I got tired of spending $500 every few months to replace straps. I purchased the bracelet for this watch but to be honest with you it just didn’t look right. It’s a dress watch and really doesn’t belong on a bracelet even though they make one.

I think it represents one of the true highlights in watch value. You will not regret buying this watch.

Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2018, 01:51 PM   #10
nicky77
"TRF" Member

Jocke
Thank you for posting that picture I have wondered how the original version and the current version look side by side.
I prefer the original version myself, although the newer dial is cleaner I find the original one more interesting.
nicky77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 08:23 AM   #11
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
The steel with white (ish) dial is very very nice. I wasn't put off by the colouring of the big date - the date looks good (I much prefer it to getting the same size of date via a Cyclops) and I am happy with both discs being on the same level - a plus point against Lange 1, but I am not really comparing it against Lange as I am looking at the steel model and the price point is well off.

Although it is not a symmetrical dial I think they use the space well (despite online reviews referring to surplus text, my overall impression is that the space is filled nicely with no awkward blank spaces). The strap is a nice thick piece of leather and the clasp seems sturdy. I have only been looking it on leather strap rather than steel bracelet as for me it will be my best dress watch and I already have sporty watches on bracelets.

It has been on my wish-list for a while - I am finally decided I'll be buying one within the next month. I'm just wondering what a fair price from an AD should be.

Here in the UK the RRP (same from two main dealers) for the leather strap with clasp is GBP7600, including VAT, which represents a good rate compared to the Euro list price of EUR9700. It's like they haven't adjusted for exchange rate movements in the last year and a half, which is nice for us in the UK as we lost our Pounds' purchasing power somewhat and some other brands have recalibrated a little or a lot (most recently, Rolex last month).

Both ADs I saw were willing to offer only a nominal discount to £7300 (~4%). But this is a watch that's easily available with all ADs and will not hold its value like some brands (eg. my steel Rolex or Tudor) and I assume no serious collector would be looking to pay >95% of list for a mainstream GO piece. Am I a complete chump if I pay that 96% of UK retail price to buy in person from an authorised dealer, when grey dealers on Chrono24 in UK/Europe offer it in the £6500-7000 range? I do see some value in a face to face experience and a reliable group to work with if a warranty claim is needed, and I recognise dealer networks with prime London locations will be more expensive than some internet warehouse - just not sure how much I should value it.

I don't have history with either dealer, which are both well-known Central London companies near where I live/work, but would hope they would be able to move a bit lower if I tell each that the other has offered to discount.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am not expecting to sell it on anytime in the foreseeable future - it will likely be my best 'dress watch' for a number of years to come. So the fact it will instantly lose value when I get it home is not an issue in itself. I just don't want to be one of those fools that pays whatever the dealer asks to get a nice piece without thinking through the whole value proposition.

Apologies for hijacking the thread - OP, I'm all in favour of you buying one! From trying it on at dealers, it is a little thick compared to other moonphase dress watches, but that's OK with me as I often wear a seadweller and I like the idea of it being a 'clock for the wrist' with a unique and attractive inhouse movement driving it, rather than some super thin generic clone.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk (and edited on the proper website when I got home!)
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 02:46 PM   #12
themast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accountank2000 View Post
The steel with white (ish) dial is very very nice. I wasn't put off by the colouring of the big date - the date looks good (I much prefer it to getting the same size of date via a Cyclops) and I am happy with both discs being on the same level - a plus point against Lange 1, but I am not really comparing it against Lange as I am looking at the steel model and the price point is well off.

Although it is not a symmetrical dial I think they use the space well (despite online reviews referring to surplus text, my overall impression is that the space is filled nicely with no awkward blank spaces). The strap is a nice thick piece of leather and the clasp seems sturdy. I have only been looking it on leather strap rather than steel bracelet as for me it will be my best dress watch and I already have sporty watches on bracelets.

It has been on my wish-list for a while - I am finally decided I'll be buying one within the next month. I'm just wondering what a fair price from an AD should be.

Here in the UK the RRP (same from two main dealers) for the leather strap with clasp is GBP7600, including VAT, which represents a good rate compared to the Euro list price of EUR9700. It's like they haven't adjusted for exchange rate movements in the last year and a half, which is nice for us in the UK as we lost our Pounds' purchasing power somewhat and some other brands have recalibrated a little or a lot (most recently, Rolex last month).

Both ADs I saw were willing to offer only a nominal discount to £7300 (~4%). But this is a watch that's easily available with all ADs and will not hold its value like some brands (eg. my steel Rolex or Tudor) and I assume no serious collector would be looking to pay >95% of list for a mainstream GO piece. Am I a complete chump if I pay that 96% of UK retail price to buy in person from an authorised dealer, when grey dealers on Chrono24 in UK/Europe offer it in the £6500-7000 range? I do see some value in a face to face experience and a reliable group to work with if a warranty claim is needed, and I recognise dealer networks with prime London locations will be more expensive than some internet warehouse - just not sure how much I should value it.

I don't have history with either dealer, which are both well-known Central London companies near where I live/work, but would hope they would be able to move a bit lower if I tell each that the other has offered to discount.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am not expecting to sell it on anytime in the foreseeable future - it will likely be my best 'dress watch' for a number of years to come. So the fact it will instantly lose value when I get it home is not an issue in itself. I just don't want to be one of those fools that pays whatever the dealer asks to get a nice piece without thinking through the whole value proposition.

Apologies for hijacking the thread - OP, I'm all in favour of you buying one! From trying it on at dealers, it is a little thick compared to other moonphase dress watches, but that's OK with me as I often wear a seadweller and I like the idea of it being a 'clock for the wrist' with a unique and attractive inhouse movement driving it, rather than some super thin generic clone.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk (and edited on the proper website when I got home!)
I was somewhat in a similar position (the PML is for now and the foreseeable future the best piece I own) and I decided to buy online from a reputable dealer based in Italy. Regarding value retention, I think the PML is actually pretty decent. I never tried to sell mine but I think I would be able to get at least 75% of what I paid for which is quite respectable.
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2018, 01:50 AM   #13
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I'm a big Teutonic fan, but liked the Langes on me better than the GOs.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 December 2018, 05:26 AM   #14
accountank2000
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN, 79220R
Following up

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
I was somewhat in a similar position (the PML is for now and the foreseeable future the best piece I own) and I decided to buy online from a reputable dealer based in Italy. Regarding value retention, I think the PML is actually pretty decent. I never tried to sell mine but I think I would be able to get at least 75% of what I paid for which is quite respectable.
I ended up getting a huge favour from a close friend who was able to use some employee discount to help me out, allowing me to pay much less than I could have expected my local ADs to match. No risk of me flipping it on for a profit though - it's a keeper. Merry Christmas all!

and of course the back:
accountank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 09:25 AM   #15
soho
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Varies
Congrats on a beautiful piece.

soho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2018, 11:44 AM   #16
vman
"TRF" Member

Watch: less TV
Congrats on a beautiful timepiece. GO is a great brand if you're not into flipping.