The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 27 December 2009, 12:17 PM   #1
Lol-x
Facilitator

OFFICIAL: 2010 Pledge Members: Custom Nakaya Fountain Pen Giveaway

Nakaya is one of the foremost quality HANDMADE fountain pens in the world.

Pen1.jpg

Each pen is individually hand crafted by artisans who have devoted years of their lives to the perfection of these writing instruments for your writing pleasure.

Pen2.jpg

Moreover, John Mottishaw of www.nibs.com is the U.S. agent for Nakaya. John himself is recognized in educated pen circles as 'Mr. Nibs' a master craftsman of pen customisation who is unsurpassed for his skill and ability to make a quality pen transcend the perfunctory 'nice pen' to perfect it into a very individually personalized writing instrument for it's user. Again a totally hands on process with skill and loving care.

John-at-work.jpg

This is a once only opportunity courtesy of Nakaya and John Mottishaw to select and own your very own personalized Nakaya Fountain Pen from the standard Nakaya range (limited editions not included). The value including personalisations (which are quite possibly priceless) is up to or well over $500 in value.

Nakaya-Nibs.jpg

Each Nakaya fountain pen comes in a beautiful Japanese cloth bag, and is placed in a box made of paulownia.

The winner will be drawn from a random drawing. He/she will be entitled to nominate and choose his/her very own Nakaya fountain pen from the standard range also selecting the nib size and style of his/her choice AND also have it customised by John Mottishaw to his/her personal preferences. Totalling the possible combinations of the pen/nib/customisations, there are literally dozens of combinations and permutations possible (maybe someone can work out exactly how many ).

To enter the giveaway you must satisfy the following conditions.

1. You must be a 2010 Pledge Member or a moderator. It is open to all such qualified members worldwide and all moderators (but not me)!;

2. You must go to www.nibs.com and identify:
(a) a precise model Nakaya Pen;
(b) a nib size/style; and
(c) the personal customisation/s-
that you would wish nibs.com (John Mottishaw) to make to your own Nakaya;
(d) why you prefer your selections in (a)-(c) above.

3. Make a post in this thread with your details as stated in paragraph 2(a)-(d) above.

4. That's it too easy

5. Your stated preferences will not be binding if you win.

The draw of the winner will take place on or as soon as possible after 20 January 2010 at a GTG. The winner will be notified thereafter.

Pen3.jpg

NOTE: Due to the fact that these Nakaya Pens are handmade. There are at least 150 steps in the creation process of a handmade fountain pen. The Urushi tradition is historic and profound in Japan, where Urishi lacquer ware has adorned utilitarian objects for centuries. This technique, though painstaking, gives this fountain pens their deep lustrous sheen and subtle color shift.
Many Nakaya fountain pens are made of Urushi, a material made from the sap of a Japanese lacquer tree. The process of collecting the Urushi (sap) and applying many layers of lacquer to construct the barrel/caps of Nakaya fountains pens takes THREE MONTHS to complete. So the winner must please be patient - if the model they select is not currently in stock.

Good luck to all, and may this be the first of many giveaways in 2010

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim

Last edited by Lol-x; 19 January 2010 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: Open to all 2010 Pledge Members and moderators.
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 12:23 PM   #2
Safetrends
Banned

Watch: my hand. :)
WOW that is a really nice exquisite pen. It is a work of art! Who ever wins this is real lucky!
Safetrends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2009, 12:32 PM   #3
JohnEaton
"TRF" Member

Watch: Red1680 metres 1st
WOW Stevo WAAAYYYYY COOL

I'll have to think about this a bit before I answer your questions in paragraph 2(a)-(d)

Fantastic...

Best

John Bob
Old 27 December 2009, 12:45 PM   #4
Lol-x
Facilitator

Just to clarify the standard range is not one pen, but many many pens including these styles being all the styles on this page (and links therefrom) except the 'special order' options.
http://www.nibs.com/NakayaMainPage.html
So we are talking about you being able to select, and possibly win a pen that probably has more varieties than the whole range of model options when you go to buy a Rolex watch

For example here might be my entry if I was allowed to enter:
(a) Nakaya Long Writer (With Clip) fountain pen in Kuro-tamenuri (Black-Red).
(b) Extra Broad
(c) Rhodium clip and Rhodium nib, Nib mods: oblique tip, increase flexibility, maximise smoothness and improve ink flow.
(d) I love the way the red-black changes colour with aging. The long writer is the largest pen I can get and the extra broad as I'm used to large pens now and the rhodium accents I prefer to yellow gold. The extra broad nib makes a bold statement and the modifications will yield maximum style in line variation and writing comfort.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 27 December 2009, 04:50 PM   #5
Skullring
"TRF" Member

Watch: Triple 6 SD
Steve please place my name in the drawing and thank you for such a generous givaway.

(a) Nakaya Portable Kuro- Tamenuri Writer With yellow gold clip in Black - Red.
(b) Broad two tone nib
(c) Nib mods: Polish and smooth for left handed use.
(d) I love the shape of the portable and at 6 inches it is longer than any of my other pens. I like the classic look of black and yellow gold but I also like how you can see hints of the underlying red around the edges. Since Nakaya nibs run finer than other nibs I would go with a broad nib. I prefer the look of a two tone nib I think it is a nice detail. Since I am a left handed underwriter I keep the paper at about a 20 degree downward angle I have mostly adapted to fountain pens but they sometimes do skip or scratch. There is a nice section on nibs.com that discusses left handed writers I am sure a nib tuned and polished by Mr. Mottishaw would be a joy to write with.
Old 27 December 2009, 05:17 PM   #6
TattooedGQ
"TRF" Member

Watch: yo self!
a)Nakaya Neo Standard Kuro-tamenuri (Black-Red) with clip
b)Broad nib
c) Pink gold plated
d) I dig the overall shape of the pen, the black-red which supposedly ages well is one of my favorite color choices. Stealthy bit of color. I would have went with a medium nib, but since they say that the Broad Nakaya is like everyone else's fine I went that route, and I like rose gold, so why not have the nib colored that way.
Breitling: And some of these.
TattooedGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 12:45 AM   #7
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
(a) Matte Briarwood Light (because BARK is beautiful!!!) with clip
(b) Super Extra Fine
(c) Pink Gold all the way, Nib mods: stub, if possible.
(d) Since I do not yet have a fountain pen, the above would be a memorable combination that I'd actually carry in my pocket due to my taste for wood and gold.
Old 28 December 2009, 12:46 AM   #8
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

Dear Steve, I became a Pledge Member this morning. Am I permitted to be in the drawing for the pen???
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 12:56 AM   #9
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Steve, thanks again for the great opportunity.

A) Portble Fountain Pen Shobu (Purple) with clip

B) Medium

C) Rhodium clip, Rhodium nib, Zogan diamond shape insert in silver, Nakaya Goldfish Converter.

D) I’ve chosen this style for its simplicity.
The design of Nakaya Portable is very simple yet has an elegance as in philosophy of “Wabi-Sabi”.
The color purple was chosen since the purple is a unique color in which can be
subtle or flashy depending on the atmosphere and it will enhance the “Wabi-Sabi”.
I’ve opted for Zogan insert and goldfish converter for purely a reason of little bit of “IKI” when
cap is removed and or ink is ready to be filled. 
Finally M nib was chosen since Nakaya nib will write much finer than American/European nib
and I’ll be doing lot of Kanji writing which Nakaya's M nib will be very suitable for.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 01:32 AM   #10
kyle L
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer I
(a) Gloss Briarwood Deep
(b) Medium
(c) Pink Gold for everything!
(d) Now I have never written with a fountain pen, but I actually own one that was given to my by my grandfather. As I see it, they are kind of like watches, a mix between engineering and art. I chose the Gloss Briarwood Deep, because I love the pattern on the wood, and each piece of wood would have it's own unique pattern. I picked a Medium nib because I would use the pen for most things, like journal homework entries, writing out letters, etc... I think Pink gold would compliment the deep brown color of the wood very nicely.
kyle L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 01:59 AM   #11
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
(a) Nakaya Briarwood Deep Color
(b) Fine
(c) 14k, Nib mods: oblique tip
(d) The handmade Nakaya Briarwood Deep would look and function just great in any setting. Nothing oozes class like deep wood finish and yellow gold. It would look great alongside my moleskin journal
Old 28 December 2009, 02:31 AM   #12
Taffi Abernathy
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ, SS DJ
So many lovely models made it difficult to decide, but ultimately here are my choices . . .

1) MatteS Briarwood Light Color

2) Extra Fine Nib

3) Pink Gold

This configuration possesses the elegance that is reminiscent of earlier times. The gradations in the wood add an extra dimension, perhaps enabling the writer to feel as if one is coveting a little piece of nature between his or her fingertips. For me, the decision to partner the pink gold with wood seemed like the only choice since both materials were used more frequently in the 1940s, times associated with old-world glamour. I complete a considerable amount of documentation during my work day, and the ability to use this writing instrument would elevate note-taking from the mundane to the spectacular. I would treasure this pen.
Old 28 December 2009, 02:43 AM   #13
Safetrends
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle L View Post
(a) Gloss Briarwood Deep
(b) Medium
(c) Pink Gold for everything!
(d) Now I have never written with a fountain pen, but I actually own one that was given to my by my grandfather. As I see it, they are kind of like watches, a mix between engineering and art. I chose the Gloss Briarwood Deep, because I love the pattern on the wood, and each piece of wood would have it's own unique pattern. I picked a Medium nib because I would use the pen for most things, like journal homework entries, writing out letters, etc... I think Pink gold would compliment the deep brown color of the wood very nicely.
Kyle it is nice to know you have taste at such a young age. I am impressed. I have several fountain pens from the 1900's to the 1940's all in excellent health for pens that were used daily.
Remeber your grandfathers fountain pen has history behind it like so many fountain pens writing letters signing documents etc.
Old 28 December 2009, 03:39 AM   #14
B Square
"TRF" Member

a Neo Standard (with clip) AKA-Tamenuri (reddish-red)

b Extra broad nib

c Pink gold nib and clip with Zo-Gan inlay

d I think this is a beautiful combination of colors and the extra broad nib will compliment my bold penmanship. For one who does not own a quality pen this will be a great start to a new collection
Boyd
B Square is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 03:44 AM   #15
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
That's a fantastic offer, Steve, but I'm not really into pens, so please DON'T put me into the draw. That way, in all fairness, someone else will stand a better chance.

Thanks anyway, generous gesture on your part.

JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 03:56 AM   #16
sunburst
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
That's a fantastic offer, Steve, but I'm not really into pens, so please DON'T put me into the draw. That way, in all fairness, someone else will stand a better chance.

Thanks anyway, generous gesture on your part.

JJ
JJ, that's a nice gesture on your part as well.
Sinn 356 Flieger II, Sinn 556, Sinn ST-140
Marathon SAR, Marathon GSAR
sunburst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 04:40 AM   #17
shandy
Banned

Thank you so much Steve for this. As most know I own one of these pens modified by John, the pen is simply the finest writing experience out there.There really is something special in having a nib tuned to your exact specifications by a true artisan.
Nakaya pens are truly organic in feel, you feel the builders, you feel the natural rubber and the natural tree sap urushi lacquer. I know this is a bit zen but it really is true, you become one with the pen!

I would love to enter and my choice would be, A. the Decapod In Heki- Tamenuri finish with, B. double broad nib.
http://www.nibs.com/NakayaDecapodHekiTamenuri.html

C.Johns customization would be stub with flex, exactly like the one John made for me with my portable writer!

D.The reason for my choices above are these. The decapod really shows the exquisit craftsmanship of the people who make this pen, everything is hand made so to line up the sides of the decapod with the cap is quite a work of art and skill.
It also shows in great detail the artisan that is the Urushi artist who then applies the lacquer. It really shows the layers to the greatest advantage I think. Also the shape is extraordinary, it reminds me of ancient Japanese architecture.

I was really torn between this colour and the one I ended up with so to have both would be incredible I think. The nib choice? Well, quite frankly I found the absolute best nib combination out there with the one I have in my Portable writer so it makes absolute sense to have the exact same nib in the decapod! Here is an example of handwriting to show that even my scrawl can be transformed by Johns artistry!

To all those who enter I wish you the best of luck. This truly is just about the finest writing experience out there in the pen world in my humble opinion!
You will be getting something rare in this day and age, a completely bespoke, artisan crafted piece of wonderment made with care, love and passion, it will transform your handwriting and make the art of handwriting a sheer joy, you will I promise, look for reasons to pick up the pen and write!

Thank you once again Steve and John for this opportunity
shandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 05:02 AM   #18
Safetrends
Banned

www.nibs.com

Excellent web site with new and used pens. WOW
Old 28 December 2009, 05:27 AM   #19
Numismatist
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600
My entry:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6124.jpg (149.8 KB, 728 views)
Montblanc Meisterstück Diamond Mozart BP
Montblanc Meisterstück Mozart BP
Numismatist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 05:32 AM   #20
Safetrends
Banned

All I have is 11 really old fountian pens that were my grandfathers and he died in 1975, the pens were a lifelong collection of his, since back then they only had fountain pens they kept them. I did a search on them the most is 200.00 the least is 25.00 approx. I still love those pens.
Old 28 December 2009, 05:53 AM   #21
Naples09
"TRF" Member

A) Decapod Fountain Pen Black/Dark Red with clip
B. Medium Nib
C. Two tone Nib
D. Love the look of the pen and the Black/Dark Red color. And I do not own a fountain pen....

Thanks!
Naples09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 07:15 AM   #22
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

a) Piccolo Housoge Cigar (No Clip) Black
b) Medium nib
c) Pink gold
d) I love intricate instruments and the pen instantly reminds me of a table at my parents' home. Since I'm constantly jotting down notes on the go, I prefer the shorter pens like this one.
Old 28 December 2009, 11:33 AM   #23
ParkinNJ
"TRF" Member

(a) Portable Fountain Pen Kuro-tamenuri (Black-Red)
(b) Fine
(c) Rhodium clip and nib. Nib mod – maximize smoothness
(d) Enjoyment of owning and writing with a truly customized fountain pen and experiencing the natural color transition of the urushi application.

Thanks for this great opportunity Steve!
ParkinNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 12:29 PM   #24
mfer
"TRF" Member

First off, thanks for the contest. I've never looked at pens before today and now, I'm considering getting one anyway. These look like loads of fun!

(a) Nakaya Neo Standard Aka-tamenuri (Reddish-Red)
(b) extra fine Nakaya
(c) extra flexible, 14k
(d) This pen screams me. I love red and fine (thin) writing. I do tend to press harder on certain letters, words and this flexible nib could give some character to my hand writing. Also, this pen looks very adept for Canji when sometimes fine delicate symbols are needed and thick dark lines.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 12:55 PM   #25
johnnybazookajoe
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
Very excited.
A - Matte Briarwood Deep
B - Double Broad
C - two-tone nib

D - Why these choices? I love the double broad example shown by Shandy, and the Matte Briarwood Deep looks like a couple of hand made leather bags I bought in New York a while ago that are aging great. TRF is the best.
Old 28 December 2009, 02:03 PM   #26
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Steve,

This is a great idea. Thank you for the opportunity to own a Nakaya.

Long Fountain Pen Aka-tamenuri (Dark Reddish-Red) with clip.

Broad. 0.44 to 0.54mm.

Pink Gold nib.

The change in the colours as the pen ages is one excellent characteristic of this model. The pink gold nib will complement the colours of this pen and the broad nib will highlight the colour of the various inks I intend to use.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 04:25 PM   #27
abigsecret
"TRF" Member

Watch: your back!
a) Sailor Sapporo in purple
b) Fine italic
c) Rhodium trim and nib
d) I have always loved writing with a fountain pen. In high school that was all I used, even for my math calculations! I haven’t written one since then, and I didn’t realize how much I miss it until I started reading this part of the forum! I would love to get the opportunity to write with such an exquisite instrument that I can call my own! Oh, and purple is my absolute favorite color!!

Thanks for this contest Steve!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SapporoColorsCapped.jpg (31.6 KB, 213 views)

He who knows no foreign language does not know his own.-Goethe
abigsecret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2009, 08:42 PM   #28
Lol-x
Facilitator

Mireyna, Sailor is actually a totally different pen company than Nakaya.
However Nakaya do make a number of excellent purple pens.
The colour is called "Shobu" after a flower by the same name.

The colour of the purple pen is quite dark but after 3 months it starts to get much lighter in purple.

Quote: "Shobu" is a familiar flower among Japanese people. Traditionally, people have trusted the petal of "shobu" to avoid evil things, so on May 5th (Japanese children's holiday), the Japanese put these petals into the bathtub.

Please have a look at the Nakaya purple pens and re-consider

IMHO you cannot go past the beautiful purple colour of Nakaya Shobu and the pleasure is hightened by the change in colour over time.

Old 28 December 2009, 10:51 PM   #29
A1000
"TRF" Member

(a) a precise model Nakaya Pen;
(b) a nib size/style; and
(c) the personal customisation/s-
that you would wish nibs.com (John Mottishaw) to make to your own Nakaya;
(d) why you prefer your selections in (a)-(c) above.

a) a precise model Nakaya Pen; - Portable Fountain Pen Ishime Kanshitsu (Stone Finish) No clip
(b) a nib size/style; - Two tone Medium
(c) the personal customisation/s - None - perfect as above!
(d) why you prefer your selections in (a)-(c) above - In a word "simplicity" a style that is propably synonimous with a fine Japanese crafted object. As above when you put it on the table it will have an air of mystique surrounding it until you remove the lid to reveal the nib inside.

A1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2009, 12:46 AM   #30
hflee55
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching You!!
Please add my entry.

a. Nakaya Long Cigar Writer (With Clip) in Kuro-tamenuri (Black-Red)

b. Broad Nib

c. Rhodium clip, Rhodium nib.

d. I chose this combo because of the presence in commands in the most understated way. It's unassuming and yet a work of art.

Cheers!
hflee55 is offline   Reply With Quote