The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 16 November 2018, 01:48 PM   #1
shahuk
"TRF" Member

IWC AR coating - is it very delicate?

Hi All -

I looked at a pre-owned IWC Top Gun chronograph today when I went to pick up another watch. I loved it, it was in great shape, only a year old and still under IWC warranty (originally purchased from AD). Only thing was the AR coating on the crystal had multiple (10-15+) long fine lines. Granted they could only be seen if looked at closely under the light, but they were there and would not wipe off with a microfiber.

Am wondering if anyone knows if this is normal with IWC watches? If so, I might go back and pick it up! But, if it’s not normal and sign the watch has been treated roughly, it’s a pass..

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!
shahuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2018, 07:46 PM   #2
asiparks
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Detectives
AR on the outside of the sapphire is susceptible to getting scratched- do a search on here and you will find many people complaining about scratches, chips or delamination in the coating.
That said, see my post #6 in the thread below. I've had no issues.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=567190

Scratches in the AR don't signal abuse, might well have been a one time, accidental graze against something. If you really like the watch, shop around, there might be other examples in better condition or at a better price...
Old 17 November 2018, 03:13 AM   #3
flilow06
"TRF" Member

I used to own an older pilot and I remember it was pretty common for people to intentionally remove the outer AR coating. Not only does it scratch easily, but it imparts a rather strong blue hue which IMO is distracting and washes out the dial. I'd agree with the previous poster, not a good indicator of wear. If you did purchase it, a cape cod cloth and 10-15 minutes of your time would probably remove the coating and its marks.. and you still have an inner AR coating.
flilow06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2018, 03:11 PM   #4
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

I think outer AR coating can scratch like that on any brand, it’s not specific to IWC. Like flilow06 suggested, you can remove it if you wish.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote