The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2020, 02:57 AM   #1
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
Rubber/leather band for OP 36mm?

Hi,

This is my first post here--I don't believe I'm violating any forum rules, but please let me know if I've done anything amiss.

I'm new to Rolex---recently picked up a 36mm Oyster Perpetual 116000, which uses the Oyster Bracelet featuring the 70200 number on the endlnks.

I'm not a bracelet guy, so I've transferred the watch to a beautiful Veblenist leather strap, but I'm finding the strap rubs against the case: the tolerances are just a little too tight. The brand new strap already has some rub-wear now.

I'm wondering if I can find a rubber or leather curved-end strap that will fit this watch properly. The folks at Everest replied to my query simply by stating that they do not (yet) make a strap fitted to the 116000. I accept that, of course, but I'm wondering if folks here know whether one of their other 20mm straps would fit? Or of any other recommended brands/models for this?

I love the Veblenist--it looks fantastic--but I can already tell the rub-marks are going to bother me in the long run. (They're not super visible in the pic, but they are there!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0891.jpg (175.9 KB, 215 views)
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 04:26 AM   #2
mike morris
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN -116234
Have 116000 blue 3-6-9 , same for problem with leather but rubber fit TEMPOMAT company.
mike morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 04:50 AM   #3
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Thanks!
Old 11 July 2020, 04:51 AM   #4
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Actually, would you mind posting a pic? I’m sort of curious to see how it looks!
Old 11 July 2020, 07:09 AM   #5
alwinnng
"TRF" Member

Looks good. Any places that sell nice 19mm? Need one for 34
alwinnng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 07:23 AM   #6
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike morris View Post
Have 116000 blue 3-6-9 , same for problem with leather but rubber fit TEMPOMAT company.
That dial of yours is one of my favorites across the entire Rolex line
Old 11 July 2020, 08:47 AM   #7
mike morris
"TRF" Member

This
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 80B8F94D-DD0F-4D75-BDDF-E278B80C5CF2.jpeg (181.2 KB, 167 views)
Old 11 July 2020, 10:12 AM   #8
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

That’s a good look for sure.
Old 19 July 2020, 04:44 AM   #9
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

So just to follow up on my own post---for future reference, as I see others have made similar queries before---I checked out Tempomat as suggested, but then found another item (that would ship faster) at Amazon: "Strapscp 20mm Premium Silicone Rubber Replacement Watch Band Strap Compatible with Rolex." $60. It looked identical to the Tempomat product (perhaps created in the same factory--quite likely). The strap arrived today, and after the expletive-filled experience of removing and reinstalling screws and springbars (boy, the YouTube videos all make it look so easy, don't they?), the strap is installed, with the original Oyster Bracelet deployant buckle. It fits perfectly, and I think it suits the watch. It bulks it up in a way that I find appealing. (I still daydream about a Sub, but I think 36mm is my sweetspot: bigger pieces just feel like hubcaps on my wrist, even though I'm not a small-armed guy).

Pic attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0902.jpg (86.2 KB, 128 views)
Old 19 July 2020, 02:28 PM   #10
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Strapsco (not Strapscp; forgive the typo).
Old 19 July 2020, 06:53 PM   #11
mike morris
"TRF" Member

I have same mistake like you and order from amazon and eBay , looks same only from 3-5 feet , but quality and feeling absolutely different and for watch over 4000$ , bay cheap belt ?
Old 19 July 2020, 08:21 PM   #12
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Price isn’t (to my mind) substantially different: $60 (for what I got) vs $80 (for the recommended alternative). And it doesn’t feel cheap at all—I combed through a lot of reviews (and eliminated a host of other options) before purchasing. Check out the reviews—the strap gets a fair amount of love!

That said, my first instinct was toward Everest and Rubber B, and I contacted both of them directly: neither makes a strap for this watch. I still suspect that there are straps in their lines that would fit this piece, but am I going to spend $230 on a hunch?

I’ve owned (and still do) $300 leather straps and $30 leather straps; $160 Omega oem NATOs and $20 off-brand ones. Sometimes there’s a definite qualitative difference and sometimes you feel like you gotten fleeced over a $0.50 strip of material. My Aqua Terra is on an Omega leather strap that I paid ludicrous sum for, but it’s the supplest, most detail-oriented watch band I’ve ever owned, and it suits the watch better than anything else I’ve tried. I’ve got a Ball watch that’s on a $40 quick-release—probably the sixth strap I’ve tried (including some “high end“ ones) and it’s the only strap I’ve ever actually had people comment on/ ask about: it’s just awesome.

Naturally, I’d never put a $4k watch on a band I didn’t think was secure (and the first thing I usually do when getting a new strap is swap out the spring bars for the best I can find: this one is on the oem Rolex bars. If I didn’t have confidence in this strap, I wouldn’t have mounted it (and certainly wouldn’t have posted about it). It doesn’t feel any less substantial or secure than its pricier cousins. Sometimes we pay a premium for branding (not a controversial statement, I know, here at the Rolex forums!), and I’ll be keeping an eye on Everest and Rubber B to see if they do eventually offer a piece for this watch, as I do believe there’s an advantage to their products (both in quality and prestige). But for now, this should do.
Old 19 July 2020, 08:30 PM   #13
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

I should add (if anyone is interested) that because this a tight-fit curved-end band that snugly holds to the contour of the watch case, it is not a piece you’re likely to be putting on and taking off frequently in some kind of regular rotation. It takes patience to get it on (making that second lug-hole “click very satisfying to hear). I’m sure it’s easier with practice, but I was at it for many minutes, even with the convenient (Everest style) cutaways that allow you to see the ends of the springbars and the lug holes.