The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 11 June 2019, 03:54 PM   #1
Greg 59
"TRF" Member

Tim Mosso & TGV - One On One

Well, you must be living under a rock if you are not yet aware of the latest Utube revelation. The Watchbox and The Urban Gentry are supposedly joining forces to deliver online content to the masses under a new joint presentation arrangement. Whilst Tim Mosso has for years kept his audiences captivated with his ability to explain in detail the stories behind the watches he reviews without (it seems) drawing breath on the Watchbox channel, his rival TGV of The Urban Gentry has tended to focus on the more affordable end of the market. They have both gained considerable notoriety and although it would be fair to say Tim is head and shoulders above TGV in his knowledge and delivery, the "rat" as TGV is affectionately known is more about appealing to a younger, less predictable audience.
Well, this joint "One on One" is something that has set the social media world of Horology into a frenzy. For my part, I found watching this inaugural joint venture pretty uncomfortable and judging by the comments left by those who have also watched the video, I'm not alone.
It's interesting how within a few short years the whole world of watch collecting and watch reviews has opened up and now very few of us would dare to go out and buy a new watch until we have viewed a few critiques online. Probably no different to the magazines we used to purchase back in old days which gave us a flavour of what to expect from our chosen timepiece.
These internet influencers are becoming minor celebrities within their peer groups and clearly everyone has their favourite but I don't think I can ever recall such a backlash towards one particular individual. I believe that the reasoning behind this is because Tim has proven over and over that his love of horology goes to the very core of his personality. The detailed knowledge he has of everything he discusses has won him a significant following and respect. People resent TGV being given the opportunity to ride on those coattails and they are making their opinions known.

I'll put the link to the particular video below just in case you aren't aware of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMlkfQ-vGbQ
Greg 59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:11 PM   #2
blada4life
"TRF" Member

The rodent is a wannabe. But yes I agree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
blada4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 04:33 PM   #3
gmtln
"TRF" Member

So why is TGV referred to as a rat? I saw briefly archieluxury calling him one, and why is there so much hate for TGV?

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of his channel, but I have watched a couple of reviews of his, which I found quite enjoyable and informative.
gmtln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:08 PM   #4
Pilliam
"TRF" Member

Thank you for sharing...I just watched the video. I like them both, yet prefer Tim for his brevity. He has the ability to distill the relevant information in an unbiased way, whereas TGV can be longwinded. They're both informative, just stylistically different. It'll be interesting to see how they mesh and if/how that changes the channel's presentation.
Pilliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:17 PM   #5
Houston77
"TRF" Member

Honestly, while the comments are funny, I think Tim and TGV will be an interesting complement. They just shouldn't be presented together.
Houston77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 06:27 PM   #6
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
Making a living talking about watches. It's a new World.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 12:12 AM   #7
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Well, at least now I know I've been living under a rock, as I never heard of TGV.

I did watch the first few minutes of the video but all the "You're great. No, YOU'RE great" stuff got a bit old.
Old 12 June 2019, 12:19 AM   #8
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I watched this when it came out....and it seemed completely awkward.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 04:24 AM   #9
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I enjoy my rock and these guys are boring.

In fact only a few of the Hodinkee interviews are all that interesting as well because let's face it, I really don't care what other people buy.

For the simple fact that in this madness, everyone is on a journey and what you pontificate about today may be a 180 degree turn in 5 years. So for me the bottom line these type of things are nothing more that "look what I just bought and you should too". Obvious marketing is boring.
Blansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 06:22 AM   #10
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I am a regular viewer for Tim's video, but only watch a few of TGV's video, like when I want to hear some one talk about Fortis.

I actually don't understand the value in TGV joining Watchbox's team. But at the same time, I don't understand the hate for TGV. If you don't like it, don't watch it. There so many worst video / reviewers on youTube, do those haters just hate and troll all of them?

I don't think I have that much time and emotion left in me to care.

I say let it be, if the audience doesn't like it, they will have to change and adapt. TGV can't be worse than the other fat guy before .. Fred-something?
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 06:33 AM   #11
blada4life
"TRF" Member

He has delusions of grandeur. His (alleged) undisclosed business practices and sponsorships are unethical. He also disappeared for several months from YouTube and it was rumored he was suspended for being a content thief and passing it off as his own. He’s just completely fake and full of hot air. I will admit I’ve watched some videos that interest me but it’s also part of viewer support for archieluxury who beefs with him, which is quite comical.

And as objective as I can be I also don’t see why watch box needs him. I get why he needs them, for merchandise to borrow.

Old 12 June 2019, 06:46 AM   #12
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blada4life View Post
He has delusions of grandeur. His (alleged) undisclosed business practices and sponsorships are unethical. He also disappeared for several months from YouTube and it was rumored he was suspended for being a content thief and passing it off as his own. He’s just completely fake and full of hot air.
This was the part that I was unaware of.
Old 12 June 2019, 06:51 AM   #13
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I have a lot of time to watch Tim Mosso as he really knows his stuff and I like his quirky sense of humor.

The other chap not so much.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 07:20 AM   #14
Spartacus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
I hope they take a more formal approach. Tim’s flaw (IMHO) was the sales nature of his content. He can do more - I’m surprised he hasn’t tried to go work for JLC.

Urban G seems to cater to the masses, much of the content appears driven by the size of the Watchuseek forum’s traffic. I never gained anything more than what I saw on the forums.

Hodinkee needs competition - by the way I think ABTW has lost their purpose. Come on Ariel, your content has to be more than barstool banter.

I don’t know if it’s YouTube or the niche, but the video content area is definitely lacking.
Spartacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 07:37 AM   #15
SoTaxLaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
He has delusions of grandeur. His (alleged) undisclosed business practices and sponsorships are unethical. He also disappeared for several months from YouTube and it was rumored he was suspended for being a content thief and passing it off as his own. He’s just completely fake and full of hot air. I will admit I’ve watched some videos that interest me but it’s also part of viewer support for archieluxury who beefs with him, which is quite comical.

And as objective as I can be I also don’t see why watch box needs him. I get why he needs them, for merchandise to borrow.

Maybe they really believed that TGV had 300K + subscribers.
SoTaxLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 08:58 AM   #16
Carry The Interest
"TRF" Member

Watch: RLX, ALS
Quote:

The rat survives!
Carry The Interest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 09:53 AM   #17
blada4life
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTaxLaw View Post
Maybe they really believed that TGV had 300K + subscribers.

That’s the other part I forgot to mention. If only YouTube purged the way twitter recently did. Would like to see the real count.

Old 12 June 2019, 10:43 AM   #18
mfer
"TRF" Member

Guess I live under a rock (for watches and I don’t care). This is getting stupid.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:43 AM   #19
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Cant stand either. Tim knows his stuff but is too boring for me. He has no true opinions and is very much a fence straddler when it comes to watches. That said he does have great review videos but let's face it they are simply sales pitches.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 01:09 PM   #20
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Honestly I’ve come to recognize Tim as a YouTube watch authority of sorts, while the rest are just guys who like watches, AC3 included (who also wanted to team up with Tim).
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 10:43 PM   #21
JonaG
"TRF" Member

Watch: ...
I’ve always liked Tim’s ‘sales’ watch reviews, informative and he uses some great expressions. This vid was a poor match; the fact that tgv didn’t know the reference of his beloved Explorer was cringeworthy.
Old 12 June 2019, 10:58 PM   #22
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonaG View Post
... the fact that tgv didn’t know the reference of his beloved Explorer was cringeworthy.
I noticed that too.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 June 2019, 03:05 AM   #23
stockae92
"TRF" Member

I am ok with Tim's "sales" review. He is pretty up front about who is keeping the light on for him, and I kinda agree with him about he doesn't usually have bad review of a watch (something like he doesn't like it doesn't make it bad, unless its actually bad)

He does a good job in getting geeky with the detail, that I like.
Old 13 June 2019, 02:01 PM   #24
ILuvSubs
"TRF" Member

Yeah, Tim Mosso's encyclopedic knowledge of horology is what makes his videos so interesting. I guess Tim (like other watch media outlets) cannot give his real opinion on watches (particularly new releases) for fear of being black balled by the manufacture. They are glorified sales videos, but it's good material when researching a watch.

I don't mind TGV, but I don't watch too many of his videos. I can see how his personality could grate with others.

The two of them together would seem like an odd coupling.
ILuvSubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 01:27 PM   #25
FearX
"TRF" Member

That did not go well
FearX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 02:21 PM   #26
LandWatch
"TRF" Member

I’ve never hear of either of them. But, the overall vibe seemed rather awkward and not at all natural. I must say, I don’t have the patience to watch YouTube watch vids, too much waffle, and I just want them to get to the point!
LandWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 June 2019, 11:36 PM   #27
chro.nic
"TRF" Member

TGV is accused of plagiarism again...

Nicolas
chro.nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 12:43 AM   #28
Amg7861
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM Rhodium Dial 37
Tgv looked very awkward and ill.

Amg7861 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 12:55 AM   #29
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Quote:
Originally Posted by chro.nic View Post
TGV is accused of plagiarism again...

Nicolas
He did indeed, in the recent Patek World Time video. It's unmistakable, and it's disappointing.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 June 2019, 12:33 PM   #30
Star Ferry
Banned

Things that have gotten out of hand:

Instagram celebrities
Youtubers
"Twitch" Streamers
Twitter

I can't even go on a date anymore without being asked why I don't update my instagram. Pretty soon we will see models take up watch collecting and get millions from clicks and "donations"
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote