The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 9 July 2020, 06:11 AM   #31
Brny11
"TRF" Member

I don’t consider GMT it an alternative to Rolex GMT any more than other GMT option on the market.

With that said...

1. The Tudor GMT has the additional complication. If that is something you need in a watch then if the bulky case isn’t a concern, there really is no decision to be made
2. If you need a date, GMT
3. If you like larger watches, GMT
4. If you like the slim case, 58
5. If you want a diver, 58

For me, the 58 is the only size black bay I would enjoy. Had chance to get GMT from AD. Put a deposit down. Hated the size, so I passed.

I also prefer diver to GMT and love no date on 58. I currently own OG58 and am hoping for the blue ASAP!
Brny11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:16 AM   #32
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
Yep, I had the striped one briefly for my BB GMT at one point, and it’s functionally the same as the solid black one from my 79220n.

Super comfortable on the wrist!

Why did you get rid of it if you don't mind me asking?
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:24 AM   #33
Rolexflex
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar
Having a similar dilemma between the GMT and BB 58. With my 6.75 wrists, I'm leaning towards the slimmer 58!
Rolexflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:34 AM   #34
MickCollins1916
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116600 SD4K
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post

Why did you get rid of it if you don't mind me asking?

I don’t mind at all! I bought the first BB GMT (that I subsequently sold and regretted doing so) pre-owned from an AD I have a great relationship with. A good guy who worked there wanted the striped fabric strap to wear on one of his other Tudors. I knew I’d wear the bracelet more than the fabric strap, so I happily obliged him and worked out a deal to do so. It was worth my while and I knew I had the solid black one from my 79220n at home if I wanted to throw the GMT on the fabric.

I ended up missing the BB GMT, so I ended up buying a second one late last summer on bracelet and have been enjoying it ever since.
MickCollins1916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:39 AM   #35
B2 Stealth
"TRF" Member

Love my BB GMT! No question over the 58
B2 Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 06:58 AM   #36
chazadams
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner / GMT
Without a doubt the GMT for me. It has been my go to travel watch and maybe my favorite the past 18 months. It just feels terrific on wrist with its complication, size, and presence. (Yes the 58 wears smaller but not much in this watch nerd’s opinion.). The red and blue colors are spot on and the font is simple and clean. This GMT is a modern day classic in my opinion and the one to get out of the two .

The Blue 58 is a great watch so far. The “Navy” blue is awesome. I can’t wait to get it out on the boat and in the water. Will post thoughts after some wrist time.

Quick inside and outside shots for comparison. Not even sure how clean watches are....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chazadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 07:05 AM   #37
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by bna/lion View Post
gmt ii for the win!
+1
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 07:09 AM   #38
Sweep swag
"TRF" Member

I must say, I got the bb58 blue (first Tudor) and I love it. I have the root beer and the black sub. This wears comfy and brings some pop to the collection. Well done Tudor.
Sweep swag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 07:13 AM   #39
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1William View Post
The BB GMT for me. A great watch and I really like the retro looks and the case design and size. The 58 is a nice watch but too small for my tastes and wrist size.
I’ll take the reverse. Although a great watch, gmt was too thick for my preferences. The 58 is a womderful fit for my wrist size
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:00 AM   #40
Fabrice M
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: This and that...
The GMT for sure, it’s a no contest, the GMT has the first in house gmt movement with the added benefit of the Local Jumping Hour function, cosc certified and 70 hours reserve, 200 M water resistance and build like a tank...

And then there is the Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde duality, it is a Pepsi that wants to be a coke, or is it t(e other way around ; )

Now that said, at some point when the excitement fades away and supply becomes plentiful, there is one somewhere with my name on it.

Marine National oblige : )
Fabrice M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:11 AM   #41
Phooi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazadams View Post
Without a doubt the GMT for me. It has been my go to travel watch and maybe my favorite the past 18 months. It just feels terrific on wrist with its complication, size, and presence. (Yes the 58 wears smaller but not much in this watch nerd’s opinion.). The red and blue colors are spot on and the font is simple and clean. This GMT is a modern day classic in my opinion and the one to get out of the two .

The Blue 58 is a great watch so far. The “Navy” blue is awesome. I can’t wait to get it out on the boat and in the water. Will post thoughts after some wrist time.

Quick inside and outside shots for comparison. Not even sure how clean watches are....

Thanks for sharing! The bb 58b doesn’t look much smaller in the photos and the blue is definitely a different shade than the GMT. I have the GMT and while I’d like the BB58b I’d wouldn’t trade the GMT to get it.
Phooi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:12 AM   #42
173rdabn
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 216570 Explorer II
GMT for me.
173rdabn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:12 AM   #43
cda555
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT IIc and PO
GMT for the date. My brain is terrible at remembering the date.

cda555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:43 AM   #44
redmonds214
Banned

Easy choice for me, GMT
redmonds214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 08:45 AM   #45
Efferalgan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116719BLRO, 14060M
GMT all the way! However, it makes sense to buy them in pairs so that when one is travelling back to Geneva for the movement change, you wear the 2nd one and then vice-versa. Sadly, the COVID-19 pandemic disrupted the logistics and two pieces might be not enough... E.g. I'm expecting my Pepsi Light, which I managed to wore for just 2 days, to return only in 2021 :(
Efferalgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:05 AM   #46
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
I prefer the new BB58 Blue. IMO better sizing and less bulk for bulk's sake. I won't be picking up either though, because I just do not like the heritage nod and non-functional faux rivets. Tudor's strap options (outside the Pelagos) are just not attractive to me. I prefer bracelets for my divers, but if going with a strap I'd look to another brand like Blancpain and their amazing Fifty Fathoms line.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:07 AM   #47
Lukebennett21
"TRF" Member

BB58 due to case thickness
Lukebennett21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:40 AM   #48
douglas225
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolexflex View Post
Having a similar dilemma between the GMT and BB 58. With my 6.75 wrists, I'm leaning towards the slimmer 58!
My wrist is of similar size and the BBGMT is my favorite of all watches to wear. It looks great and wears/feels great on the wrist too. Admittedly, it is a little tall, but that fades away quickly and I would highly recommend trying one on before you rule it out. I had ruled it out and went looking for a BB 58 early last year, they happen to have GMT in stock. Needless to say, it now monopolizes my daily wearing - trumping a rolex sub, Pepsi GMT and explorer (all 5 digits).
douglas225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 10:37 AM   #49
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglas225 View Post
My wrist is of similar size and the BBGMT is my favorite of all watches to wear. It looks great and wears/feels great on the wrist too. Admittedly, it is a little tall, but that fades away quickly and I would highly recommend trying one on before you rule it out. I had ruled it out and went looking for a BB 58 early last year, they happen to have GMT in stock. Needless to say, it now monopolizes my daily wearing - trumping a rolex sub, Pepsi GMT and explorer (all 5 digits).
For as much abuse as the GMT gets for it’s size and thickness, it wears much better than we’re led on to believe. It’s a tad portly, but well balanced and a completely different proposition than the BB58. It’s actually fascinating how different the two pieces feel when next to one another.

The GMT is the best value in the entire Tudor range, IMHO.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 11:44 AM   #50
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

This would be a tough choice for me. I think gmt gets the slight edge.
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:06 PM   #51
horseShu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Aqua Terra
I pick the BB58 because it doesn't have date setting issues. Thus, there will always be that cloud of doubt in the BB GMT that will take a long time for me to shake off.

The company has been making GMTs since the 1950's and they still managed to screw this one up.

I guess even the mighty Rolex can make mistakes.
horseShu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 12:27 PM   #52
rkhettry23
"TRF" Member

Watch: THE HULK
Also from what I understand, only the early models of the BB GMT has the date wheel issue. I believe it has been rectified and new models are not experiencing the issue. It's been a rock-solid companion for me on my travels.
rkhettry23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 01:09 PM   #53
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkhettry23 View Post
Also from what I understand, only the early models of the BB GMT has the date wheel issue. I believe it has been rectified and new models are not experiencing the issue. It's been a rock-solid companion for me on my travels.
Unfortunately that's not the case, per anecdotal evidence on TRF. However, like you, my [2018] BB GMT has run flawlessly since purchased new.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:02 PM   #54
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

I love my GMT. Wears great and feels good on the wrist. I wouldn’t trade it for the 58 but will definitely add the blue 58 at some point!
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:23 PM   #55
MYBROTHERSKEEPER
Banned

GMT! All day. Just picked one up yesterday. Such a beautiful timepiece.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
MYBROTHERSKEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 03:58 PM   #56
spencer88
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
GMT for me. it's beautiful.
spencer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 04:11 PM   #57
bathducks123
"TRF" Member

GMT all day. Was into divers before but quickly found that I travel more than I dive, made the switch and never look back.
bathducks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:18 PM   #58
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickCollins1916 View Post
I don’t mind at all! I bought the first BB GMT (that I subsequently sold and regretted doing so) pre-owned from an AD I have a great relationship with. A good guy who worked there wanted the striped fabric strap to wear on one of his other Tudors. I knew I’d wear the bracelet more than the fabric strap, so I happily obliged him and worked out a deal to do so. It was worth my while and I knew I had the solid black one from my 79220n at home if I wanted to throw the GMT on the fabric.

I ended up missing the BB GMT, so I ended up buying a second one late last summer on bracelet and have been enjoying it ever since.
Funny how often the buy-sell-buy again routine happens on there. Glad you were able to pick up another one. I got mine new on leather back in late 2018 and have loved it. Even bought a bracelet for it as well. Unfortunately it finally got the date window issue and it is currently at RSC. I've been missing it for sure.
Old 9 July 2020, 09:20 PM   #59
Crazy Lugs
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathducks123 View Post
GMT all day. Was into divers before but quickly found that I travel more than I dive, made the switch and never look back.
I feel similarly these days- I prefer the aesthetic simplicity and build quality of most divers, but don’t use them as originally intended! Having a GMT is far more useful to me, not to mention comfortable for my daily life, even if the aesthetics aren’t as clean.

Still- 114060 is great for weekends and other occasions.
Crazy Lugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2020, 09:23 PM   #60
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phooi View Post
Thanks for sharing! The bb 58b doesn’t look much smaller in the photos and the blue is definitely a different shade than the GMT. I have the GMT and while I’d like the BB58b I’d wouldn’t trade the GMT to get it.
Check out this picture from "Breed" and you can really see the difference. It's pretty significant.