The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 11 July 2020, 07:58 AM   #91
Nikrnic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Blnr, Expll, Subs,
B.. I love all seven of my Rolex watches but there are so many others to enjoy. VCO for one.. Love my Omega Planet Ocean and SMP and believe the PO is every bit as good if not better than both of my 5/6 dgt. Rolex Subs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Nikrnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 09:08 AM   #92
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
These comparisons are kind of biased. They would be fair if both companies had the same size and capacity to produce, i.e. same size factories and numbers of employees or technicians.

I guess if ALS had as many employees and factories as Rolex, they would be producing more, no?

According to Wiki, ALS produces 5,000 watches (not 800) per year with 770 employees, and Rolex produces 800,000 watches with 6,000 employees. Obviously ALS produces fewer than Rolex even if you account for company size (that's not my point), but that would be a fair comparison.

I think if ALS wanted to make as many watches as Rolex they would need around twenty times the number of employees if your numbers are accurate.

That’s the difference in more handmade vs. machine made.

The labour cost is the highest part of manufacture. Hand finishing is the fastest way to drive COGS up.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:13 AM   #93
kieselguhr
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1601
They’re typically robust mass produced watches that fit my aesthetic tastes.

They’re definitely not hand finished and best is very subjective
kieselguhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:29 AM   #94
JohnnyM
Banned

Watch: All the good ones
B. They are stunning and I use mine in good health. Blessed
JohnnyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 10:52 AM   #95
David007Kim
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR THET ARE THE BEST!!! Materials, Durability and Ascetics. Prices will continue to rise, some of the HOT MODELS are worth way above retail pricing!
David007Kim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:05 AM   #96
GBD
"TRF" Member

Outstanding watches, but not hand crafted, and not even close to haute horology. But the fact that they make almost 1M/year and keep the quality so high is damn impressive.
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 12:07 PM   #97
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Quality vs price ..Unbeatable .

Have a Jaeger leCoultre Master Compressor Extreme World Chronograph with steel bracelet .I think quality and finish on that one is on par with Rolex .
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 01:27 PM   #98
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
C. Mass produced watch. Not hand crafted.

But a heck of a product, amazing brand, and a fun hobby.
Old 11 July 2020, 04:04 PM   #99
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

OK,so which brands are so much "Hand crafted " ?
Case,gear wheels,screws ..all "hand crafted" ?

Maybe that's why Patek has such small models ?
Old 11 July 2020, 04:46 PM   #100
One&done
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TswaneNguni View Post
OK,so which brands are so much "Hand crafted " ?
Case,gear wheels,screws ..all "hand crafted" ?

Maybe that's why Patek has such small models ?
The only watchmaker I can think of producing hand crafted watches is Masahiro Kikumo. Of course Greubel Forsey has one hand crafted model which they one per year of ( at $1million+). There will be other examples but I’d guess that the total annual production of hand crafted watches across all brands is les than 100.

Not even Roger Smith makes any of his watches by hand and certainly none of Patek’s watches are even remotely close to hand crafted. It is an exceedingly rare practise.
One&done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2020, 11:49 PM   #101
Tricolore66
"TRF" Member

Totally agree. I think Rolex is by far the best managed watch brand and one of the most impressively executed consumer goods you can buy. Incredible that they can maintain such high levels of quality over decades with the number of watches they produce. It’s why even though they are a mass luxury brand they are practically the 4th member of the holy trinity of watchmakers and can’t be left out of the discussion. Their market share of Swiss mechanical watches under $15k is mind-bending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
Outstanding watches, but not hand crafted, and not even close to haute horology. But the fact that they make almost 1M/year and keep the quality so high is damn impressive.
Tricolore66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 12:33 AM   #102
timlaw
"TRF" Member

Watch: Coke 16710
Simple one to answer NO

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

124060 Submariner, 16710 Coke, 16570 Black dial, Datejust 41 Wimbledon dial, Tudor Black Bay GMT, Tudor Black Bay 58 Blue, Tudor Black Bay 58 925, Tudor Prince Date Chronograph (panda dial)
timlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:38 AM   #103
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Grand seiko is likely the best. Their watches at 5-10k rival and exceed Patek and AP at 30-50k. Some may balk at that but there was a thread a couple weeks ago on the patek forum with macro shots of the hands of a PP and hands on a GS, GS blew them away.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 02:39 AM   #104
Notepad12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
Grand seiko is likely the best. Their watches at 5-10k rival and exceed Patek and AP at 30-50k. Some may balk at that but there was a thread a couple weeks ago on the patek forum with macro shots of the hands of a PP and hands on a GS, GS blew them away.
And Grand Seiko's spring drive movement is outstanding.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Notepad12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:07 AM   #105
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
My woman does not have to look like Cindy Crawford after hours of make-up session at the make-up artist (equivalent to the polished shield on GS). I am satisfied with the naturalness of Catherine Zeta-Jones, such a Rolex equivalent, with all its imperfections.
Old 12 July 2020, 03:24 AM   #106
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by One&done View Post
The only watchmaker I can think of producing hand crafted watches is Masahiro Kikumo. Of course Greubel Forsey has one hand crafted model which they one per year of ( at $1million+). There will be other examples but I’d guess that the total annual production of hand crafted watches across all brands is les than 100.

Not even Roger Smith makes any of his watches by hand and certainly none of Patek’s watches are even remotely close to hand crafted. It is an exceedingly rare practise.
Thank you . Its seems there are many here that thinks if the case is polished by hand the whole watch is "hand crafted " .
Old 12 July 2020, 03:34 AM   #107
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post
My woman does not have to look like Cindy Crawford after hours of make-up session at the make-up artist (equivalent to the polished shield on GS). I am satisfied with the naturalness of Catherine Zeta-Jones, such a Rolex equivalent, with all its imperfections.

Your woman sounds like mine!! I can’t remember the last time I saw her put makeup on. Cheers my friend!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:38 AM   #108
mario1971
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, ALS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
Your woman sounds like mine!! I can’t remember the last time I saw her put makeup on. Cheers my friend!!

mario1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:54 AM   #109
Hpozzuoli
Banned

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE FURY View Post
D and it’s not even close! Love Rolex but it’s not high Horology, it’s high marketing!
Winner winner chicken dinner. The millennials have bought into the brand and combined with a strong economy prices have risen. In fact I don’t think I have ever seen a Patek billboard, but in my depressed little state we have 2 Rolex billboards and 1 AD.
Hpozzuoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 03:57 AM   #110
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post

Also well made, very beautiful and timeless designs with materials and aesthetics that are seemingly future proof.

It’s not finished like an ALS or complicated like a Patek nor does it use techy materials like an AP, yet Rolex watches are the most widely recognized and highly desired watches on earth.
They’re simple, basic, well made and well designed. No matter what material or how complicated or well finished a watch I own from any brand, Rolex will be my favorite brand by miles.

And none of these attributes are marketing or hype, it’s facts.
I agree Rashid. Having more complicated finish or even more complicated movements are not necessarily correlated with a watch being better. I prefer robust, reliable, and easy service schedule myself. Doesn't mean I don't own or appreciate brands such as ALS or Patek, but for me "best" does not mean having to service every 3-5 years, having to wear white gloves while handling, or being afraid of water. About the only brand that does all is Richard Mille. And forget about the price.
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:09 AM   #111
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikrnic View Post
B.. I love all seven of my Rolex watches but there are so many others to enjoy. VCO for one.. Love my Omega Planet Ocean and SMP and believe the PO is every bit as good if not better than both of my 5/6 dgt. Rolex Subs.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
You have pretty awesome collection I must say
Old 12 July 2020, 04:09 AM   #112
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mario1971 View Post

Lol. Listen. I love Rolex and it’s the best for me and my lifestyle. I am the kind of person that wears my watch all day, if that’s mountain biking, skiing, at work, or a dinner out wearing a sport jacket my 16610 can simply do it all and looks great as well. A PP or AP or even their so called sport watches, Would be broken by days end on my wrist.

Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:12 AM   #113
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Lol. Listen. I love Rolex and it’s the best for me and my lifestyle. I am the kind of person that wears my watch all day, if that’s mountain biking, skiing, at work, or a dinner out wearing a sport jacket my 16610 can simply do it all and looks great as well. A PP or AP or even their so called sport watches, Would be broken by days end on my wrist.

I think Catherine Zeta-Jones beats Cindy Crawford too
Old 12 July 2020, 04:15 AM   #114
djackson410
"TRF" Member

C
Old 12 July 2020, 04:18 AM   #115
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Me too except I have a 16613. The watch does everything I ask of it and, I ask a lot. I have never owned anything above Rolex and am new to even Rolex but I could not be happier with it. It checks all the boxes for a watch I need.

Old 12 July 2020, 04:21 AM   #116
904VT
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Me too except I have a 16613. The watch does everything I ask of it and, I ask a lot. I have never owned anything above Rolex and am new to even Rolex but I could not be happier with it. It checks all the boxes for a watch I need.

A TT Bluesy sure sounds like the perfect watch to wear in FL to me
Old 12 July 2020, 04:26 AM   #117
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post

Thank you sir! 904 is the Duval county and surrounding area code. Are you a fellow Florida man? Lol

Old 12 July 2020, 04:27 AM   #118
Ranger67
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116613LB Bluesy
Quote:
Originally Posted by 904VT View Post
Picked up a Bluesy yesterday from an AD no less, shame we don’t have the weather or beaches here in London, still love it in the clouds though.
Ranger67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 July 2020, 04:40 AM   #119
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Now aint that the truth !
Old 12 July 2020, 04:48 AM   #120
klenboy
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I don't think it's the best handcrafted timepiece but it is the brand that speaks most to me. Just basically due to growing up seeing my father wear one my whole life, still currently ticking like my new ones.
klenboy is offline   Reply With Quote