The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 10 July 2020, 08:14 AM   #1
chloebear
Banned

Watch: Explorer
Thoughts on Two Tones - Submariner vs Sea Dweller

Gents,

I am really loving the look of two tone in yellow gold of late. My original list of candidates included the Sky-Dweller (gold dial), Daytona (black dial), Sea-Dweller or Submariner (bluesy or black).

I’ve narrowed it to the Sea-Dweller and the black Submariner. The bluesy gets all the attention and it’s a beauty, but there’s just something about the black dial that I really love.

I’d love some feedback (and pictures) on the black two tone Submariner and the two tone Sea Dweller.

42mm is my favorite size as my daily is an Explorer II, but 40 and 43 are both great sizes.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
chloebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:20 AM   #2
LyingFlat
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41
I have a larger (fat) wrist and had the opportunity to try both on at an AD earlier this year. I have to say I prefer the SD over the Sub. It just has a much greater presence IMO and feels a lot more substantial.

Unfortunately both were exhibition only so couldn't buy one...
LyingFlat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:24 AM   #3
LOWERCASE GUY
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ41- champagne
So hard to pick between the two. Sorry not very insightful, but personally, i couldn't choose between the two. Guess the SD has more wrist presence and a bit more of a statement piece. I love the TT too, you can't go wrong with either. Have you tried them both on?
LOWERCASE GUY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:28 AM   #4
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Of the two I would go with the Sub Date on my thin wrists. However, if I had a bigger wrist the calculus might be different. And the outcome might look the same. As ever, it all depends...
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 08:29 AM   #5
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWERCASE GUY View Post
So hard to pick between the two. Sorry not very insightful, but personally, i couldn't choose between the two. Guess the SD has more wrist presence and a bit more of a statement piece. I love the TT too, you can't go wrong with either. Have you tried them both on?

I’ve tried on both Subs (bluesy and black) and 40 (and boxy) wore really nicely. Have not seen the SD in person but my AD says they’ll get one eventually and there’s nobody ahead of me on the list.

I agree the SD will have more presence. I’m generally all about that. I’m just not sure if it would have too much presence.

Old 10 July 2020, 08:31 AM   #6
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry-57 View Post
Of the two I would go with the Sub Date on my thin wrists. However, if I had a bigger wrist the calculus might be different. And the outcome might look the same. As ever, it all depends...

I totally agree. I’m a tall-ish guy at 6’ 190 pounds I feel like either would work. I think it’d be an easier call if I were 5’7” or 6’5.”

Old 10 July 2020, 09:44 AM   #7
chloebear
Banned

I'm not sure if it's a trick to push you towards a more expensive model, but in these two stock photos from the Rolex web site, the yellow gold on the Sea-Dweller looks brighter and more yellow than the gold on the Submariner. Surly they are the same no?
Old 10 July 2020, 09:48 AM   #8
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
To me it would come down to whether you’re looking to wear it in rotation or as a daily.

Admittedly I don’t own any TT Rolex, but I do own the Submariner and SD43 in SS. The size isn’t the issue IMHO, but rather comfort
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:06 AM   #9
APPRF
"TRF" Member

I tried the TT Sea Dweller last week, struggled to stop myself from buying on the spot. I want to use it for bundling with an SS Sports I want. Feels, and looks great on the wrist. Best TT yellow gold in the Rolex lineup in my opinion. No comparison with the TT Sub, I tried the sub on at the same time, it has more presence on the wrist, although a lot who are not Rolex experts will mistake it with a sub.
APPRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:11 AM   #10
bathducks123
"TRF" Member

If you could pull of the SD43 take it all day. The sub is just to mainstream and overated. Theres something about the TT SD43, looks subtle and screams attention at the same time
bathducks123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:13 AM   #11
Polarexplorerii
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570,BLNR,116610
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry-57 View Post
of the two i would go with the sub date on my thin wrists. However, if i had a bigger wrist the calculus might be different. And the outcome might look the same. As ever, it all depends...
+1
Polarexplorerii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 10:47 AM   #12
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Stand out from the crowd, SD!
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:04 AM   #13
triple.lindy
2024 Pledge Member

I was offered the TT SD43 a month or so ago. I'm waiting on the SS and not really a TT guy but it was a beautiful piece. I'm 6' 190 also and it wore nicely. I want something a little chunkier than another 40mm but don't feel I can pull off the DSSD.
triple.lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:05 AM   #14
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
On your original list of four I hope you don't plan to buy any of these at retail because you should be able to save on the secondary market. Because of the weight the TT sub may be a better choice if you plan to wear often I have the SD43 in SS and currently it is on a rubber b strap because that makes it lighter and easier to wear. If you don't mind the weight then the SD43 in TT is a very nice looking watch. Price wise on the secondary market you can save more by getting the TT black dial dial.
Old 10 July 2020, 11:06 AM   #15
Judge
Banned

Watch: DSSD MK I
Quote:
Originally Posted by triple.lindy View Post
I was offered the TT SD43 a month or so ago. I'm waiting on the SS and not really a TT guy but it was a beautiful piece. I'm 6' 190 also and it wore nicely. I want something a little chunkier than another 40mm but don't feel I can pull off the DSSD.
You can pull it off, do it!
Judge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:08 AM   #16
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Two-tone with a black dial is the only TT I like. The TT bluesy does nothing for me, but I think the black is gorgeous.

The sub and SD are basically the same watch in two different sizes. Unless you're really hing up on one of the minor differences, get the one most appropriate for your wrist size and call it a day.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 11:41 AM   #17
Turtleneck
"TRF" Member

I saw a TT Sea Dweller in an AD’s case today. Too large for me I think. Can’t go wrong with either but I prefer the sub.
Turtleneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:14 PM   #18
dnd2984
2024 Pledge Member

The TT Black Sub is the perfect submariner in my opinion, followed by no date.
dnd2984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:17 PM   #19
zaydans
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116710
Saw the TT Seadweller in a case yesterday and I must say it looks hefty compared to a sub. Not far off a deepsea size wise. If you have a large wrist will probably look fine but I’d recommend you try one first for sure.
zaydans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:22 PM   #20
lkngshrp
"TRF" Member

I wore a to black/gold subc daily for 7 years until I got my Platona. My subconscious gets way more attention than the Daytona. You can’t go wrong with either the TT SD or the TT subc. It’s gonna come down to what feels right.
lkngshrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:23 PM   #21
rmagoo57
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT II/Sub/Exp II
I think the Sub has better proportions and a cleaner, slightly thinner bezel. This would be my choice. I have a 5 digit on my wish list!
rmagoo57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 12:35 PM   #22
garyk
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
Someone said they think the yellow gold on the SD is brighter than the Submariner? Not sure about that?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10 July 2020, 01:53 PM   #23
Mick006
"TRF" Member

Easy one for me: sub.

I am also in the minority that prefers the black/gold to the bluesy. I’m not a huge fan of the full graduations on the SD.
Mick006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:08 PM   #24
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple.lindy View Post
My thoughts exactly. I've always loved the Explorer II at 42. The SD at 43 looks pretty perfect. I agree the Deep Sea is a different beast all together, mainly because of the extra thickness. I'd love a run at one some day, but for the time being I'm feeling two tone.
Old 10 July 2020, 02:09 PM   #25
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyk View Post
Someone said they think the yellow gold on the SD is brighter than the Submariner? Not sure about that?!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Great shot Gary!
Old 10 July 2020, 02:13 PM   #26
chloebear
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
To me it would come down to whether you’re looking to wear it in rotation or as a daily.

Admittedly I don’t own any TT Rolex, but I do own the Submariner and SD43 in SS. The size isn’t the issue IMHO, but rather comfort
Thanks for the input T Bone! It will be in rotation with my Explorer II (black dial) and SS Pepsi. Have you ever considered a two tone?

I've always liked TT, but man the TT bug has hit me hard all of the sudden.
Old 10 July 2020, 02:17 PM   #27
JayHantz
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: @Escapementt
I am more of the classic fan of the Sub; I like the case size and the heft. I like the SD, but I think it is a little too bulky. But out of both, you really cannot go wrong.
JayHantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:22 PM   #28
TswaneNguni
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas/Subs/GMTs
Blue TT Sub
Black ..TT SD43

First choice for me ..Blue TT Sub .Always
Have seen the TT SD43 ..beautiful reference !
TswaneNguni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 02:39 PM   #29
Henrimontgomery
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Too many people complain about the SD being uncomfortable. I also don’t like the look of the escape valve, which is 100% useless.
Henrimontgomery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 July 2020, 04:44 PM   #30
Ihatecheese
Banned

Good to try these on for comparison. They seem to carry TT in a lot of places so should be able to find one to try on! I'm a little bit taller although a bit lighter. The 43mm SD would engulf my hand and the weight too.

TT outside of Rolex forums is a bit flash and older gent. Depending on your fashion norms and the places you frequent
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote