The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 14 April 2021, 02:47 AM   #1
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

Has anyone sought a Tiffany archive certificate?

There was a discussion here last December of Tiffany offering archive certificates (@ $1000 per) for watches they retailed -
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=778533

One oddity - the Tiffany policy seemed to be that “[t]he Watch Certificate will not include the Serial Number of the watch being researched” (thus making it 100% pointless), ... but the certificate which was shown in the above thread’s photo did list the serial number.

It was speculated that perhaps researching and listing the serial number was something Tiffany would only do for requests from Phillips or other prominent names.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what happened?
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:22 PM   #2
330ci
"TRF" Member

Hold on, let me go cook my popcorn ��

Imma sit this one out
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 01:19 PM   #3
siegrist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiclay View Post
There was a discussion here last December of Tiffany offering archive certificates (@ $1000 per) for watches they retailed -
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=778533

One oddity - the Tiffany policy seemed to be that “[t]he Watch Certificate will not include the Serial Number of the watch being researched” (thus making it 100% pointless), ... but the certificate which was shown in the above thread’s photo did list the serial number.

It was speculated that perhaps researching and listing the serial number was something Tiffany would only do for requests from Phillips or other prominent names.

Has anyone tried this? If so, what happened?
I bought a Tiffany dial Datejust from Mike at Rolliworks in December of 2020. I reached out to Tiffany to authenticate it in January of 2021. In February of 2021 they accepted my request and gladly took my 1k. I had several email conversations with a rep at Tiffany Archives and I specifically said what I wanted for that 1k and that was to have the specific serial number looked up and documented on their letterhead. She was vague in her response. She wouldn't say no and wouldn't say yes. What she said (without digging into the emails) is "all customers who have used their archive program have always been happy with the results". I mistakenly took with a glass half full approach and figured I would get what I was looking for.

What I got back a few weeks later was a complete waste. Basically some photocopies of old Rolex/Tiffany ads and a write up about how they existed etc. Zero mention of my watch anywhere. They also tossed in a Tiffany Watch History book which got promptly tossed in the trash.

Save your 1k.
siegrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I must have missed something.

$1000 to do what?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 02:23 PM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by siegrist View Post
I bought a Tiffany dial Datejust from Mike at Rolliworks in December of 2020. I reached out to Tiffany to authenticate it in January of 2021. In February of 2021 they accepted my request and gladly took my 1k. I had several email conversations with a rep at Tiffany Archives and I specifically said what I wanted for that 1k and that was to have the specific serial number looked up and documented on their letterhead. She was vague in her response. She wouldn't say no and wouldn't say yes. What she said (without digging into the emails) is "all customers who have used their archive program have always been happy with the results". I mistakenly took with a glass half full approach and figured I would get what I was looking for.

What I got back a few weeks later was a complete waste. Basically some photocopies of old Rolex/Tiffany ads and a write up about how they existed etc. Zero mention of my watch anywhere. They also tossed in a Tiffany Watch History book which got promptly tossed in the trash.

Save your 1k.
Ouch.
Old 4 December 2021, 03:30 PM   #6
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
That is just terrible that they took your money and produced such a lousy deliverable.

I guess it affirms the notion that tiffany cannot validate their old inventory.

Whenever I see a tiffany Rolex I roll my eyes
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 03:50 PM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andad View Post
I must have missed something.

$1000 to do what?
I guess it's to put people off bothering them for historic certification. Like Harry says above, the records are patchy at best.

Pretty scandalous, though, if the serial number isn't on the "documentation." Aren't they just printing off a standard letter?
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 07:02 PM   #8
330ci
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Save your 1k.
Did you pay by credit card? I'd file for a refund on grounds they failed to deliver on their services
330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2021, 10:53 PM   #9
baumare
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1675/8
Thank you for the info, I was thinking to give it a try for my Tiffany SeaDweller, but looks like only the big auction houses could get through the maze of Tiffany archive…
baumare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 12:44 AM   #10
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:

Save your 1k.
So strange. Did you send them a copy of the photo from the other thread showing the recent letter/documentation from Tiffany’s about the 6263 Daytona?

I would have just said I want that for my watch, can you do it? It seems odd that Tiffany’s would do it in some cases but not others.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:09 AM   #11
carwashchris
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Vintage DD'S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
Ouch.
This X 2
carwashchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 01:26 AM   #12
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baumare View Post
Thank you for the info, I was thinking to give it a try for my Tiffany SeaDweller, but looks like only the big auction houses could get through the maze of Tiffany archive…
I think this is accurate, auction houses carry the weight and horsepower to get to the bottom of a particular piece. I doubt Tiffany's can go back 30 plus years to find a serial number for every person that requests it. These watches were mass produced and Tiffanys sold tens of thousands of Rolex watches.

As for the OP and the thousand dollars, that's wrong on Tiffany's, they should pull that program since they don't provide and clarity or validation the owner is looking for or provide what is expected if watch is genuine.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 04:48 AM   #13
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Maybe this is the consolation prize for when they have no record of your serial number. “But we do have this nice parting gift…”
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:32 AM   #14
indianmachine
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Save your 1k.
Sorry to hear that, I had started to go down the route but gave up sensing it would be a boondoggle. Ended up selling my Tiffany 5513 shortly after.
indianmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 02:45 PM   #15
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
This "archive service" is pretty worthless without the serial number being included with the end result. I tried several different avenues to try and achieve some valid paper work for my own watch. Even though I know it to be authentic, as it was given to me by my Dad, a self-described snob (His words not mine! Hahahahaa!), who purchased it from Tiffany in BH when he owned a woman's clothing store there in the 70s on Brighton and Bedford.

Even that last thread showed the futility of relying on Tiffany's records. I went to Tiffany's in BH and spoke with the manager who said they don't have any records older than 15 years. Aside from carbon dating without damaging the dial I don't see any way to truly authenticate, and as many of you have said you can always switch in a Tiffany branded dial, or fake the paper work… In the end, while some verifiable paperwork would be nice for my son or daughter who inherit the watch, I do think it is quite beautiful. Beyond monetary value, it was gift from my Father and will try to keep it forever if possible.

On another note, I kind of miss 330ci not taking an active participation role in this thread. That was the best part!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2021, 06:50 PM   #16
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
...I do think it is quite beautiful. Beyond monetary value, it was gift from my Father and will try to keep it forever if possible.
Thread needs a pic...
Old 6 December 2021, 12:04 AM   #17
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

My story is quite similar to Timelord. Prior to my fathers passing in 2016 he gave me his stamped Datejust. However he had no recollection of where or if any documents existed. Box was gone. After his passing my mother and I were sorting through everything with no luck. About a year later we sold my mothers house and she causally surprises me with some Rolex stuff, "look what I found". Fortunately I now have the certificate and some Rolex paperwork! Still no box but who cares. The watch will never leave my possession as long as I exist.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_1165.jpeg (157.8 KB, 219 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_1166.jpeg (180.7 KB, 215 views)
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 12:13 AM   #18
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:

Save your 1k.
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2021, 02:37 PM   #19
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Thread needs a pic...
Yes, I suppose it does need a few pics, but I do believe you all have seen it or mostly anyways. I'll even throw in the service estimate from Rolex which, as we have determined really doesn't mean anything where the Tiffany stamp is concerned. I also have a few service receipts from 1989 and 1995 but no mention of teh stamp on the dial. At that point it just wasn't that special… Here is a pic prior to service and bracelet repair, a pic after service with refurbished bracelet, and a pic with a new insert I got directly from Rolex in BH just recently, for which they attached the leaches in monetary terms to install and allow me to keep the all brown one. Oh, and a picture of my Dad at his wedding from 42 year ago—wearing the watch. I'm the kid with the long hair on the left. Although, no details are visible, such is life… I suppose I still might find a pic with some detail. The small Tiffany chart I got from @tempoking on this forum from some other post with a similar topic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch_18_6s.jpg (195.1 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5905_s.jpg (234.4 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5993_s.jpg (179.9 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg 1980_DadsWedding.jpg (112.1 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg 19_1219_ROLEX_ServiceEstimate_Page2.jpg (139.2 KB, 190 views)
File Type: jpg TempokingTiffanyAndCo_BrandingChart.jpg (48.8 KB, 187 views)
File Type: jpg Watch_36_ss.jpg (123.3 KB, 188 views)
Old 6 December 2021, 03:47 PM   #20
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
Yes, I suppose it does need a few pics, but I do believe you all have seen it or mostly anyways... I'm the kid with the long hair on the left.
Nothing wrong with seeing that beauty again!

BTW, that wedding shot is one of the most 1970s photos I've ever seen. Pure style! It was good of David Hasselhoff and Burt Reynolds to turn up. And Olivia Newton-John there on the left.
Old 7 December 2021, 12:53 AM   #21
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zapokee View Post
Nothing wrong with seeing that beauty again!

BTW, that wedding shot is one of the most 1970s photos I've ever seen. Pure style! It was good of David Hasselhoff and Burt Reynolds to turn up. And Olivia Newton-John there on the left.
Hahahahahha! You haven’t seen the picture of the bride and brides maids! Looks straight out of the Stepford wives!
Old 7 December 2021, 02:20 AM   #22
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Nice hair :-)
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2021, 04:48 AM   #23
TimeLord2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark020 View Post