The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 March 2020, 07:43 AM   #61
phillip ridley
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1971 Rolex Red Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andjwhite View Post
"Hang on... .Dad returns with insane 5513 and says 'here, take this'" That is all time. Hope to do this one day when my son is older. Looking forward to the finished look.
Can't get better than that...
Old 23 March 2020, 09:39 AM   #62
Claven2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip ridley View Post
Over the decades, Rolex has had a few different colored Reverser wheels in these watches...First was the copper which you find in the late 50's and early 60's, next was a lighter red and now you have what you see in this watch - dark reddish purple. I assume the lighter red and what you see today is just a Teflon coating to protect the wheels.
I think there must be a lot of color variation in the coating on the modern wheels, I've seen them everywhere from a neon fuscia color to a very very dark burgundy. Not sure why the differences??? Maybe just different batches of chemical.
Claven2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 March 2020, 11:02 PM   #63
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Hello gentlemen, I'm sure this post belongs elsewhere, however my situation sounds very similar to Phillips's client's. My father died almost 14 years ago. Yesterday I happened on a box in the basement that I haven't seen in years and in the box I found this old Rolex. I had seen it before but I always thought it was a fake. My dad would often buy "gag" gifts for people and was into oddities, so I paid no attention to it. After looking at it more closely last night and noticing the detail, I believe it is authentic. It's in very rough condition, definitely a barn find. After 20 minutes or so of Google research I think it is a President Diamond Oyster Perpetual Day Date. Possibly mid 1960's. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Alan
You’re 100% correct. Start a new thread, it’s not that difficult.
In the meantime we’ll enjoy this great restoration thread by PR.

Old 23 March 2020, 11:33 PM   #64
Mark020
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASL View Post
Hello gentlemen, I'm sure this post belongs elsewhere, however my situation sounds very similar to Phillips's client's. My father died almost 14 years ago. Yesterday I happened on a box in the basement that I haven't seen in years and in the box I found this old Rolex. I had seen it before but I always thought it was a fake. My dad would often buy "gag" gifts for people and was into oddities, so I paid no attention to it. After looking at it more closely last night and noticing the detail, I believe it is authentic. It's in very rough condition, definitely a barn find. After 20 minutes or so of Google research I think it is a President Diamond Oyster Perpetual Day Date. Possibly mid 1960's. Any advice or info would be greatly appreciated.
Alan
Well 1) open an own thread but 2) it is a fake anyway
Mark020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 01:48 AM   #65
Neufcatcat
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillip ridley View Post
Can't get better than that...
First post here. I am in the same situation as my father handed to me a 5512 1961 that sat in a drawer for most of the last 30 years (he also owned a 1982 submariner with date as well). I changed the bracelet on it, winded oit and Voila! Keeping his time and all. Everything was fine till i showered ith the watch. Few minutes after the glass was showing fog from the inside. To say that i was having heavy breathing with sweats is an understatement. Opened the crown and had it sat over my windshield defogger (I'M from Montréal and it was in January...) while driving towards my local Rolex dealer to have it serviced.

They (the dealer) sent it to the RSC in Toronto and theycalled me back saying that RSC did not performed any work on it as there was ''Non RSC service performed on it''.

Since it is obvious that you know your Rolex with the amazing work you performed on this beautiful 5513, can a competant independant (like yourself) perform the work (IOW i want it waterproof...And l'm not a diver)do the requested work?

Thanks for your lights
Neufcatcat is offline   Reply With Quote