The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 25 March 2020, 12:46 PM   #31
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryccf View Post
Aren't casebacks marked "C.R.S." casebacks that have been replaced at servicing?

Glad you mentioned that about the rotor - i'd meant to check my files as i thought i recognized that rotor - it's apparently or was apparently a common rotor for that period -
here are shots of it on an ETA 2773 (9401 mvmt)

Then on a 2824 mvmt

and on a 2783 mvmt

the only movement i couldn't a shot of the rotor was the 2483, but the above 3 mvmts are all 25 jewel movements, same as the 2483 - i'd guess that rotor is correct for the 2483. Key word is "guess"

FWIW
Whats the exact marking on the OP watch's movement?

if it states "eta" with eta movement number, then its clearly not the genuine item either. I'll look around and see what I have recorded previously. Usually its just a 4 digit number starting with 2. Though I have also seen no movement digit engraving at all. Just the rotor saying tudor with the number of jewels called out.
alwayshere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 02:03 PM   #32
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwayshere View Post
Whats the exact marking on the OP watch's movement?

if it states "eta" with eta movement number, then its clearly not the genuine item either. I'll look around and see what I have recorded previously. Usually its just a 4 digit number starting with 2. Though I have also seen no movement digit engraving at all. Just the rotor saying tudor with the number of jewels called out.
i actually copied and pasted the OP's movement picture with an arrow pointing at the mvmt # - unfortunately it's under that wheel (not sure if that's the balance wheel) but you can barely make out 2483 or what looks to be 2483, which would be one of the two correct mvmts

here's link to the actual post https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...7&postcount=20

THe 2461 is the other correct mvmt
larryccf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 03:15 PM   #33
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
i actually copied and pasted the OP's movement picture with an arrow pointing at the mvmt # - unfortunately it's under that wheel (not sure if that's the balance wheel) but you can barely make out 2483 or what looks to be 2483, which would be one of the two correct mvmts

here's link to the actual post https://www.rolexforums.com/showpost...7&postcount=20

Sorry I must have missed that. Yes if that's the case, then the movement is likely okay.
Old 25 March 2020, 05:21 PM   #34
heuermonaco
"TRF" Member

strange dates / reference / case no

My main issue - can a c.1969 reference have a c.1959-60 case number ?

Is there a definitive position on this anywhere ?
heuermonaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 07:39 PM   #35
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Doesn’t the first 3 look re-engraved? Or is it just the pic?
Old 25 March 2020, 07:56 PM   #36
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Actually upon reflection, OP's movement doesn't look right.

the rotor should have a right angled finish on the genuine piece. See below:

Old 25 March 2020, 08:00 PM   #37
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heuermonaco View Post
My main issue - can a c.1969 reference have a c.1959-60 case number ?

Is there a definitive position on this anywhere ?
No it doesn't look right. The timing of the model number doesn't match the serial era. I think that is definitive from various member's point of view. The 7016 started around 1969...and 30XXXX serial is from way before.

Just checked, I have a couple of Tudors that are more mid-1960s with 40XXXX serial and onwards. Glad you returned it.
Old 25 March 2020, 09:13 PM   #38
Styles Bitchley
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
Doesn’t the first 3 look re-engraved? Or is it just the pic?

Yeah. The STA and 30 look like they were “fixed” or something. Like there was some damage to the left side or something.
Styles Bitchley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 10:32 PM   #39
AJMarcus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Swiss
Not a vintage Tudor expert but not so sure it’s fake. There are many Inconsistencies among Rolex vintage models throughout the 1960s and 1970s. That’s largely because Rolex did not perfect their QC production process until around the 1980s. I have seen that with some early Tudors as well. But if you’re uncomfortable living with it smart to return it.
AJMarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2020, 10:37 PM   #40
1665fan
"TRF" Member

It’s franken watch at best....and looks like a turd...
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 12:42 AM   #41
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
No it doesn't look right. The timing of the model number doesn't match the serial era. I think that is definitive from various member's point of view. The 7016 started around 1969...and 30XXXX serial is from way before.

Just checked, I have a couple of Tudors that are more mid-1960s with 40XXXX serial and onwards. Glad you returned it.
For the record, besides my caseback showing a 1968 production date,
here's a link to one showing the same "I.68" production date with the 7528 marking - clik on the image to pull up the full gallery of shots, then clik on the caseback to expand it https://watchestobuy.com/shop/tudorsubmariner7528-htm/

here's another, with the same "7528" marked caseback showing "I.68" production that was up for sale here on this forum a few weeks ago
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=685706

And another "I.68" w/caseback marked "7528" - caseback isn't pictured but seller does note it in his descript https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/19...r-4551371.html

Here's one with caseback marked "IV.68" but no model marking - there's actually quite a few on chrono24.com advertised as 1969 & 1970 but their casebacks are showing 1968 production, with serial numbers also indicating 1967-69
https://www.chrono24.com/tudor/subma...id12218998.htm

and another with caseback showing "7528" model marking and "I.68" production date http://www.vipchrono.com/en/producto...al-box-papers/

THere are more

Not sure what was going on with TUdor back then, but all the casebacks with the "7528" model marking seem to show the same "I.68" production date - and curiously, i've never actually seen a caseback showing "7016" model marking. It's possible Tudor, after cranking out a ton of 7528 casebacks, decided to drop actually introducing a 7528 model and used the casebacks on the 7016s

What confuses the issue is Tudor themselves saying the 7016 first appeared in their catalog in 1969 - but "first appearing in their catalog" doesn't necessarily mean first year of production https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/...s-1969-to-1999

I've also never seen a 7016 showing a production date (no matter what the caseback model marking was) earlier than 1968, which puts that serial number in conflict with the model's years of production, unless the serial number was a mistake, like i said earlier, by a hungover mechanic operating the pentograph or reducing engraver.
Old 26 March 2020, 12:53 AM   #42
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
For the record, besides my caseback showing a 1968 production date,
here's a link to one showing the same "I.68" production date with the 7528 marking - clik on the image to pull up the full gallery of shots, then clik on the caseback to expand it https://watchestobuy.com/shop/tudorsubmariner7528-htm/

here's another, with the same "7528" marked caseback showing "I.68" production that was up for sale here on this forum a few weeks ago
https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=685706

And another "I.68" w/caseback marked "7528" - caseback isn't pictured but seller does note it in his descript https://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/19...r-4551371.html

Here's one with caseback marked "IV.68"
https://www.chrono24.com/tudor/subma...id12218998.htm

and another with caseback showing "7528" model marking and "I.68" production date http://www.vipchrono.com/en/producto...al-box-papers/

THere are more

Not sure what was going on with TUdor back then, but all the casebacks with the "7528" model marking seem to show the same "I.68" production date

What confuses the issue is Tudor themselves saying the 7016 first appeared in their catalog in 1969 - but "first appearing in their catalog" doesn't mean first year of production https://www.tudorwatch.com/magazine/...s-1969-to-1999
I think we're confusing the issue here.Which is: Why does a case with a serial number from around 1960 have a reference number of a watch that didn't appear until around 1969?
That is the crux of this quandary.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 01:05 AM   #43
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I think we're confusing the issue here.Which is: Why does a case with a serial number from around 1960 have a reference number of a watch that didn't appear until around 1969?
That is the crux of this quandary.
and i cited that as well, but my issue is with folks repeatedly stating 1969 for earliest date of production when the links i posted show 1968

that serial number and the "virgin" metal between the lugs where there should be some rub marks are bothersome, but damn that dial & hands look good
Old 26 March 2020, 02:24 AM   #44
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
I still wonder what the hammer price was
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:08 AM   #45
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Styles Bitchley View Post
Yeah. The STA and 30 look like they were “fixed” or something. Like there was some damage to the left side or something.
Yeah. So my guess is that the watch is good but the first digit is more likely a 7 or something. Not a 3. Then the serial range would make sense.
Old 26 March 2020, 06:55 AM   #46
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
and i cited that as well, but my issue is with folks repeatedly stating 1969 for earliest date of production when the links i posted show 1968

that serial number and the "virgin" metal between the lugs where there should be some rub marks are bothersome, but damn that dial & hands look good
You can understand it if it’s one or two years off but 10 years off isn’t right which is what others are saying.
Old 26 March 2020, 07:12 AM   #47
Kingsking
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I still wonder what the hammer price was
Most auction are also listed online for online bidding, maybe it would turn up in a google search
Old 26 March 2020, 07:13 AM   #48
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
I think we have a mix of parts here and frankly the photos muck things up as much as they fix things.

IMO: Dial (80%) and Movement 2483 are legit 7016, Maybe insert but not a good look at the 40/50

Case / Caseback / hands / bezel are fake.

These photos are horrible so I am willing to revise my assessment with better photos. Otherwise it is a hard pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
I think you need to read a string of posts by an old member Orchi on how to spot a good Shield Tudor sub. The E in stainless steel.... are all 3 horizontal lines the same length? The middle one should be shorter.
Orchi's post had a ton of failures in it - remember - according to Orchi, every Semi Pointed Crown Guard is a fake.
Old 26 March 2020, 07:42 AM   #49
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by linesiders View Post
I think we have a mix of parts here and frankly the photos muck things up as much as they fix things.

IMO: Dial (80%) and Movement 2483 are legit 7016, Maybe insert but not a good look at the 40/50

Case / Caseback / hands / bezel are fake.

These photos are horrible so I am willing to revise my assessment with better photos. Otherwise it is a hard pass.

Orchi's post had a ton of failures in it - remember - according to Orchi, every Semi Pointed Crown Guard is a fake.
Hi J,

I challenge the movement too - look at the rotor carefully. The shape of it is wrong. Its franken at best.
Old 26 March 2020, 08:08 AM   #50
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You can understand it if it’s one or two years off but 10 years off isn’t right which is what others are saying.
you did get that i agree with the 8 to 10 yr disparity, right?
Old 26 March 2020, 08:14 AM   #51
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
you did get that i agree with the 8 to 10 yr disparity, right?
yeah i'm with you but your reference to some being 1968 caseback is less relevant to the discussion here, no?

For example, its not uncommon for things to be made a year in advance before it gets "released" officially so Tudor's "1969" date of first issuance is probably still right.
Old 26 March 2020, 09:14 AM   #52
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:
yeah i'm with you but your reference to some being 1968 caseback is less relevant to the discussion here, no?

For example, its not uncommon for things to be made a year in advance before it gets "released" officially so Tudor's "1969" date of first issuance is probably still right.
Go back to that link i gave from Tudor's web, Tudor said "In the 1969 catalogue, two new TUDOR Submariner references appeared, the 7016 and 7021." That's not a declaration of date of production.

How being produced "I.68" does not make it 1968 production is, well, a little illogical to me. We're talking the 1st quarter of 1968, not the last.

It's more likely the 7016 went into production too late to be included in the 1968 catalog - print lead times back then were long, hell even in the mid 1990s, before the digital age, it was 5-6 week lead times to get a display ad into print in publications that were mailed out 3 times a month - and an equal amount of time to kill or stop an ad running, and that was for a black/white single page ad, not a multi-page color catalog.
Old 26 March 2020, 09:16 AM   #53
linesiders
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: U Talkn Bout Wilis
Quote:
Hi J,

I challenge the movement too - look at the rotor carefully. The shape of it is wrong. Its franken at best.
That's possible, horned rotor -v- flat rotor. Good eye. I was looking at a couple other things that look OK. I was not digging into much because the photos suck so badly ; )

But with a little closer look the 25 RUBIES SWISS MADE on the AutoWind is wrong - like those older non-2483s that the strip down and re-engrave in VN.
Old 26 March 2020, 09:43 AM   #54
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Go back to that link i gave from Tudor's web, Tudor said "In the 1969 catalogue, two new TUDOR Submariner references appeared, the 7016 and 7021." That's not a declaration of date of production.

How being produced "I.68" does not make it 1968 production is, well, a little illogical to me. We're talking the 1st quarter of 1968, not the last.

It's more likely the 7016 went into production too late to be included in the 1968 catalog - print lead times back then were long, hell even in the mid 1990s, before the digital age, it was 5-6 week lead times to get a display ad into print in publications that were mailed out 3 times a month - and an equal amount of time to kill or stop an ad running, and that was for a black/white single page ad, not a multi-page color catalog.
I think you’re missing Alwayshere’s point.
What does this have to do w the OP’s watch here? Why not start a new thread on the topic of catalogue issue dates v. caseback date stamps?
Old 26 March 2020, 10:07 AM   #55
larryccf
"TRF" Member

actually i'm not sure he knows what his point is or was

he first argued with me, or appeared to, re the 8-10 gap between S/N and the late 60s production. When i pointed out to him he and i were in agreement on that issue, he jumped or changed his point to defending 1969 as year of production. Go up to his post at #46 and follow it from there, you'll see what i mean
Old 26 March 2020, 10:46 AM   #56
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
actually i'm not sure he knows what his point is or was

he first argued with me, or appeared to, re the 8-10 gap between S/N and the late 60s production. When i pointed out to him he and i were in agreement on that issue, he jumped or changed his point to defending 1969 as year of production. Go up to his post at #46 and follow it from there, you'll see what i mean
Look this is side tracking us all.

Not here for a pissing contest but for the record, my original point to you is around the big gap between serial number on the watch and the "known" year of production for the 7016. That hasn't changed and your last few responses are dragging us into a whole new topic.

Regarding my post #33, I was replying to the movement itself, i.e., my bad for not picking up on the OP's picture of the movement which vaguely indicated the "2483" engraving, in response to my earlier post #31 questioning it.

Anyway, Kingface clearly followed the trail so I think you should re-read the thread again. Ok lets get back on track.
Old 26 March 2020, 11:23 AM   #57
larryccf
"TRF" Member

as Kingface66 said - start a new thread on the subject, but try to stay consistent
Old 26 March 2020, 12:22 PM   #58
alwayshere
"TRF" Member

Quote:
as Kingface66 said - start a new thread on the subject, but try to stay consistent
ah....he was referring to you going off track.

man, you really need to read these posts properly.... i'm slightly shocked you haven't connected the dots yet.
Old 26 March 2020, 12:32 PM   #59
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Correct.
Old 26 March 2020, 01:22 PM   #60
larryccf
"TRF" Member

Quote:

man, you really need to read these posts properly.... i'm slightly shocked you haven't connected the dots yet.
actually, you're the one that went off track

i was just confirming what kingface66 suggested but pls explain to me why you would argue with me about the disparity between the serial number's date and the late 60s production of the watch - then when i point out to you that i agreed with that position, why you just bulldozed past it and went straight to re-arguing the production date

pls, answer me that cause for the life of me i can't comprehend it unless you speed read my posts and then try to bluff your way past being wrong

do try to stay on focus with my question, in bold above, because that response of your's earlier really displays a serious disconnect on your part

kingface66 - i was simply confirming your suggestion....but it appears alwaysthere re-introducing & restating the illogical position that even though a watch was mfgr'd in 1968 doesn't mean production occurred in 1968, well somehow that re-introduction of the debate is acceptable and your suggestion doesn't apply. Yeah, that makes sense.