The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2022, 02:14 AM   #1
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
How I totally screwed up my first Breitling purchase

So I was on vacation in Spain visiting family the last 10 days as I try to do every year or two, and while I've been trying (desperately, really) for a two tone Submariner, the current Rolex situation now seems nearly impossible and one I'm rather fed up with, especially living in Naples. Well it wasn't any easier in Spain. Nothing available, and nothing my old salespeople could do where I have purchased a Rolex or two from previously. That's how I got to be fed up with Rolex.

But I still wanted a watch and I dare say I've accomplished a lot lately, so I thought I'd treat myself to something far easier and less expensive to obtain. So I got what I had also been checking out over the past few months, which was this:

Granted, it looked slightly big on me in the store where the lugs overhang a bit, and it felt a little chunky and heavy, especially after trying on the Tudor BB58 Blue which feels rather small, but I didn't care much. I rather liked these things, and I loved the legibility. It makes for a great year-round Florida watch on a rubber strap. So I did the thing (minus 15% discount in store and then the VAT return of around $465 at the airport), and ended up paying around $2700 or so all told. I haven't done the actual math, but more or less. I was happy not to pay full retail or most of the tax. And I love the watch. It's comfy and the glass disappears when looking at the dial straight on.

First funny part... I accidentally threw away the blue warranty card when I tossed out the store bag. The bag looked empty to me, but apparently there was a red envelope in the red bag. Oops! I still have the store's receipt anyways. Life goes on. Out of curiosity, is that something Breitling can replace?

Second funny part... I visited a Breitling boutique about a week later as I was still in Madrid just to browse since Rolex had nothing nearby, and I come to find out I had actually bought the 44mm Superocean rather than what I thought in my mind the whole time was the 42mm. I mean, my sales lady didn't mention it was 44mm and I didn't ask. My wrist is 6.3 inches, rather on the smaller side. I find it comical how I managed to be so impulsive as to not check such a thing. The dimensions of the 42 would have been quite perfect, and the 44 has dimensions that are obviously bigger than I'd like on paper now that I've actually checked what those dimensions were, but on the wrist it's really not so bad. Do I wish it had 50mm lugs instead of 53mm? Yea, but overall it's not bad enough that I wouldn't have bought it in the first place. That said, having lost the warranty card now I'm pretty stuck with it, as I can't even trade out for a 42 of the same type, since papers are pretty important and I'd probably lose some money on it. Ah well.

So anyhow, I now have a blue 44 Superocean on rubber. One of the things I wished the 42 would have available when I was looking online over the last few months was that yellow rubber strap, and now that that I accidentally bought the 44 I can actually get it, so that's an unexpected plus. Blue on yellow strap seems like a fun color combo to me.

And that's the story of my first Breitling Thanks for reading!
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 08:48 AM   #2
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Congrats, you made a great choice here! Also fed up and realized that life is too short. Too many other great brands and watches out there to be wasting time.

Breitling is a great brand and you selected a nice model! Enjoy in good health.
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 09:43 AM   #3
rinfuso
"TRF" Member

Well, stuff happens... For one, you've purchased a great watch. I went the opposite and bought a watch that was a bit too small for my wrist. lol
rinfuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 10:40 PM   #4
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW16610 View Post
Congrats, you made a great choice here! Also fed up and realized that life is too short. Too many other great brands and watches out there to be wasting time.

Breitling is a great brand and you selected a nice model! Enjoy in good health.
Thank you!
Old 27 May 2022, 10:41 PM   #5
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinfuso View Post
Well, stuff happens... For one, you've purchased a great watch. I went the opposite and bought a watch that was a bit too small for my wrist. lol
What did you get for yourself?
Old 27 May 2022, 10:45 PM   #6
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Found the warranty card! It was in the little travel case the sales lady gifted me. She must not have remembered placing it in there.
Old 27 May 2022, 10:51 PM   #7
Travis Kern 7
"TRF" Member

Haha. I am also wanting a new model two tone sub. I am so sick of the BS that I am almost excited to switch to a higher end Breitling or Omega!!! Problem is that the wife now thinks i'm just settling and insists that I just get the Rolex two tone that I want. Been on waitlist nearly a year and a half, and everytime I call MAYORS jewelers (owned by Watches of Switzerland) in Florida they give some lame (another 6 months or so response). I'm completely fed up with them.
Travis Kern 7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2022, 11:06 PM   #8
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Kern 7 View Post
Haha. I am also wanting a new model two tone sub. I am so sick of the BS that I am almost excited to switch to a higher end Breitling or Omega!!! Problem is that the wife now thinks i'm just settling and insists that I just get the Rolex two tone that I want. Been on waitlist nearly a year and a half, and everytime I call MAYORS jewelers (owned by Watches of Switzerland) in Florida they give some lame (another 6 months or so response). I'm completely fed up with them.
I've found an answer to the Sub two-tone dilemma, and it's made by Glashütte:

You should definitely look into this instead.
Old 28 May 2022, 10:59 AM   #9
Al1969
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeakWithMichael View Post
I've found an answer to the Sub two-tone dilemma, and it's made by Glashütte:

You should definitely look into this instead.
SEAQ Two-tone Panorama date is a stunner.
Old 28 May 2022, 11:40 PM   #10
rinfuso
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What did you get for yourself?
It was the Superocean Heritage 38. I have learned to love it over the years, even though it is a bit small on my wrist.
rinfuso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2022, 12:58 AM   #11
dmhines
"TRF" Member

Watch: Milgauss / GMT II
The SuperOcean dial looks better on the 44 and the 44 wears like other brands 42 so you did good. I never wear 44mm and just bought a SO 44 myself on a cruise last week ..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4349.jpg (123.6 KB, 589 views)
Breitling SOH II - Brown 42 / Breitling 806 Re-Edition
dmhines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 June 2022, 04:42 AM   #12
Shadow Play
"TRF" Member

OP. I think you’ve made a great choice. That’s a fantastic watch. If it helps you any I bought an Avenger Seawolf because I liked the look of it so much. At first I just couldn’t get used to the size but now I really enjoy wearing it, especially in the summer months (or rather days here in Scotland ) when wearing short sleeves.
Shadow Play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 June 2022, 11:28 AM   #13
Isochronous
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Found the warranty card! It was in the little travel case the sales lady gifted me. She must not have remembered placing it in there.
That warranty card is as useless as their warranty. Any watch brought to Breitling for repair under warranty will be denied because of "shock" to the watch. Their prices are way to high.

My Breitling is an OK watch but as a company they are like a used car sales lot owner.
Isochronous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 July 2022, 07:52 AM   #14
nextlvltraders
"TRF" Member

Love that blue in the sunlight. Great choice and in the end, if you love it, that's all that matters. :D
nextlvltraders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2022, 03:02 AM   #15
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Just wanted to say that’s a wonderful watch.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 03:53 PM   #16
cjcarter134
"TRF" Member

OP that's a nice watch you purchased. I wish I had the wrist size to pull it off. I'm in the 36mm to 38mm realm. I'm glad that you found your warranty card. Keep track of that paperwork. Continue to enjoy the watch.
cjcarter134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2022, 10:21 PM   #17
michaelodonnell123
Banned

Watch: Panerai 112
Beautiful watch. Why settle for a Rolex when you can have this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg gl.JPG (88.6 KB, 257 views)
michaelodonnell123 is offline   Reply With Quote