The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 23 November 2022, 07:26 AM   #1
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

Opinion on 5960g as first Patek

I am a long time Rolex wearer that enjoys reading the Patek threads as I have always aspired to own a Patek. I am not comfortable wearing a 6 figure watch and don’t want to ‘settle’ for something that doesn’t sing to me. I like the weight of a PM watch and love the way the 5960g looks in photos. I am about to take the plunge. It would be my most expensive watch. Do those of you that have been wearing Pateks for years have words of enablement or caution for me? The dealer is trusted seller with brick and mortar store, watch is complete and they tell me it has a light polish.
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 07:45 AM   #2
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Highly recommended.

This is possibly the best sport/dress Patek with all the bells and whistles. Very versatile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JettyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 07:49 AM   #3
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

If you ever thought to yourself:

“HEY, I need more colors on my wrist to attract more eyeballs”. My daughter will gladly make you a rainbow bracelet.

Old 23 November 2022, 07:56 AM   #4
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Small criticism.

Reading the chrono stack is like reading the Bible. Technically, I can read…but Jesus… what???

Old 23 November 2022, 10:24 AM   #5
Ohiorolex
"TRF" Member

It is a beautiful watch. Is this a watch you can wear as a daily watch? The lug to lug and height seem reasonable for a long sleeve shirt. Any issues I should think of. Legibility of the chronograph isn’t an issue for me. I have plenty of chronographs that I don’t use. I just like the way they look.
Ohiorolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 10:54 AM   #6
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

You can certainly daily wear it. It’s PM, so it will pick up scratches 2x more than your ss. At 41mm. It wears like a Sub, on leather strap. 7” wrist here.

My PM pieces are weekend wear. It feels special, every time I strap one on.

Old 23 November 2022, 11:54 AM   #7
danwang0520
"TRF" Member

Watch: my signature
get what sings to you.......
danwang0520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 07:13 PM   #8
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I love the 5960s in general as they gather many things I like in a watch.

You may find a few opinions here as well: https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=878795

Enjoy your journey :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 08:50 PM   #9
gauwow
"TRF" Member

Picked mine up last week and it’s an absolute stunner. Go for it!
gauwow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 09:35 PM   #10
ButtButt
"TRF" Member

I think it’s a great looking watch, go for it.
ButtButt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 05:51 AM   #11
Viscount1961
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750 ExpII
Sure. Absolutely.
Viscount1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 09:20 PM   #12
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Save yourself some money and get some street cred at the same time; buy a Calatrava 5227 from an AD who sells Patek, new. Your name's on the paperwork, it doesn't have a "light polish" and, maybe, the AD can get you something else in the future.
I've always wanted to love the 5960 but it comes with too much baggage and the chrono is, as JettyOne points out, illegible.
This could have been a great watch with just the date at 12:00 and a less cluttered chrono sub dial like the one on the 5905. To me it seems like the 5960 is where Patek complications are sent to die.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2022, 10:05 PM   #13
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Save yourself some money and get some street cred at the same time; buy a Calatrava 5227 from an AD who sells Patek, new. Your name's on the paperwork, it doesn't have a "light polish" and, maybe, the AD can get you something else in the future.
I've always wanted to love the 5960 but it comes with too much baggage and the chrono is, as JettyOne points out, illegible.
This could have been a great watch with just the date at 12:00 and a less cluttered chrono sub dial like the one on the 5905. To me it seems like the 5960 is where Patek complications are sent to die.
Agree.

Apart from the busy chrono counter there is the asymmetry of the day and month windows, the gimmicky power reserve, a glut of push buttons on the case flank, and then the thickness. For me a case where less would have been more, see 5968. Just a simple date and a simple chrono counter and as a result also nearly 2mm thinner.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 07:50 AM   #14
JC180
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR, BLRO, LV, SD
I disagree with this, thickness is never an issue. The 5968 however being perhaps slightly thinner is enormous in comparison as it's a much larger watch overall.

Yes the chrono is difficult to read at a glance but this is the only criticism that can be levelled at this watch. The power reserve is not a gimmick, its barely noticeable and a very welcome addition. The annual calendar asymmetry is non issue in practice and other than once looking out for it is never again noticeable or bothersome.

It was my first PP and one I still wear a great deal. It's comfortable, legible and has great complications. It never feels large or too thick and the case has some wonderful detailing. So much more interesting than a simple 3 hand Calatrava.
JC180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 09:59 AM   #15
Vasco
"TRF" Member

I totally follow JC180 on the 5960. It isn't because we don't have the use of or interest in a complication or the way it is implemented than it makes a drawback in absolute. All aesthetical aspects are subjective and even the use we get from them. Some prefer more classical, purer watches, other more technical, bigger (size being subjective relative to the wrist and to what each of us have historically been used to).

Just for the OP, a few more details to consider:

The 5960 has a great chrono complication, the 5905 hasn't got the hour hand anymore (hence 60-minute timing instead of 12h). The chrono can even be used as a second time zone (even if not very practical compared to a Travel Time).

The power reserve is a great (but not necessary) feature to have. For someone not moving a lot (home work) or not using the watch 2 or 3 days a week, it helps keeping track of the PR left in order the watch doesn't stop, and helps seeing if power reserve is above around 40% for accuracy management.

It has the AC complication. And many like technical busier dials (same choice between a no-tachy scale chrono vs ones with scales). Just a question of taste.

Some would prefer also a thicker watch because sportier or housing more complications (like the very optimized 5930G).

As for legibility, it depends on your sight. I've never had any problem with playing with my friend's 5960 (I don't have one).

Now, it's up to the wearer but it's just a question of taste.

OP, I seem to understand you saw it only on pictures? I highly suggest you see one in the metal before deciding though. As the watch is quite recent, wasn't scarce I would tend to think you can get a non-polished one.

Enjoy the hunt :)
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 10:24 AM   #16
JettyOne
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC180 View Post
I disagree with this, thickness is never an issue. The 5968 however being perhaps slightly thinner is enormous in comparison as it's a much larger watch overall.

Yes the chrono is difficult to read at a glance but this is the only criticism that can be levelled at this watch. The power reserve is not a gimmick, its barely noticeable and a very welcome addition. The annual calendar asymmetry is non issue in practice and other than once looking out for it is never again noticeable or bothersome.

It was my first PP and one I still wear a great deal. It's comfortable, legible and has great complications. It never feels large or too thick and the case has some wonderful detailing. So much more interesting than a simple 3 hand Calatrava.

I’m with JC on this.
Power reserve is useful for me; so is the nearly invisible am/pm indicator. That chrono stack takes a few minutes to learn, but visually offers a unique layout/feature amongst a sea of chronos. I dig it. Thickness is perfect for a sport leaning Patek. It offers solid wrist presence without being large.

To OP,
Polished PM case is beautiful and balanced—I can’t stress this enough, if this is your first Patek, you are in for a treat with this beauty. I don’t have that kind of excitement for the Calatrava.

It’s a powerhouse of horology packed in a stunning 41mm white gold case, by the most respected watch brand on earth, for forty something grands. It’s the biggest bang for your bucks. 5905 can’t come close to this $.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 27 November 2022, 10:29 AM   #17
agsstructures
2024 Pledge Member

I had it for a short period of time but sold it. I have a small wrist so felt it was extremely top heavy and couldn't get used to the thickness. Candidly for the money i would get a 5170G.
agsstructures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2022, 09:04 PM   #18
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Agree.

Apart from the busy chrono counter there is the asymmetry of the day and month windows, the gimmicky power reserve, a glut of push buttons on the case flank, and then the thickness. For me a case where less would have been more, see 5968. Just a simple date and a simple chrono counter and as a result also nearly 2mm thinner.
Hmmm, the 5968. A sport watch chronograph, superb legibility of all functions, no superfluous complications, low profile so you're not smashing it into every door frame you pass through and respectable water resistance. Less is more, and costs more.
Patek's most successful chronograph.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 01:55 AM   #19
bobernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: ALS, AP, PP, Rolex
I think it’s a great watch. I debated a long time (a couple years, at least) about whether to go ACC or PCC. I ultimately decided to go for the 5270, but would be almost as happy to own a 5960 or similar instead.
bobernet is offline   Reply With Quote