The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

View Poll Results: Does your 32xx movement seem to be 100% ok?
Yes, no issues 813 72.85%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) but timekeeping is still fine 43 3.85%
No, amplitude is low (below 200) and timekeeping is off (>5 s/d) 260 23.30%
Voters: 1116. You may not vote on this poll

Old 29 November 2022, 10:10 AM   #3241
CedCraig
"TRF" Member

Any brands in the $5k to $15k range that have quality like in the good ‚ol days? JLC, GO, Habring2, Moser?
CedCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 11:48 AM   #3242
dannyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBoost View Post
Burnishing is more of a surface treatment. If done properly it should reshape the surface, not remove it. You can burnish anything from leather to wood to metal. It's different from a process which removes material via abrasives.

What's the point? Having parts that last much longer. I thought Searchart gave a pretty compelling account of how much longer life you get out of properly burnished parts. It seems like a potential mod would be to have a watchmaker procure new factory parts (presuming yours have already trashed themselves), then process them in a way to extend their service life. Heat or cryo treatments could be explored as well, just as we do with tools and engine/trans parts. In my view, in a world where Rolex no longer knows how to make long-term reliable movements, we have to get creative.
I totally get that. What seems pointless to me is bothering to do that, but still having to replace the whole mainspring barrel at service. If Whole movement could then go 30 years in between, I’d be all about it.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 06:55 PM   #3243
Dirt
"TRF" Member

Watch: DSSD
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedCraig View Post
Any brands in the $5k to $15k range that have quality like in the good ‚ol days? JLC, GO, Habring2, Moser?
Maybe Grand Seiko?
I believe they make everything in-house and I assume the Japanese have always been masters of metalurgy, so why not manufacture to true standards of excellence
Dirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:50 AM   #3244
HiBoost
2022 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
I totally get that. What seems pointless to me is bothering to do that, but still having to replace the whole mainspring barrel at service. If Whole movement could then go 30 years in between, I’d be all about it.
Thus far I don't recall hearing of any bad mainsprings in 32xx movements. True, it does not appear to be a serviceable part. But unless the springs prove to be regularly fatiguing to the point of breakage, I think this part of the movement stands to endure far longer than the train. If a new spring will deliver 70 hours of power reserve for 8-10 years, even if it degrades somewhat perhaps it will do 50-60 hours for the next 10? Power reserve, provided it is >= 40 hours, doesn't really matter to me. I just want a watch that is consistent in its timekeeping while it is being worn or wound.
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:58 AM   #3245
dannyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thus far I don't recall hearing of any bad mainsprings in 32xx movements. True, it does not appear to be a serviceable part. But unless the springs prove to be regularly fatiguing to the point of breakage, I think this part of the movement stands to endure far longer than the train. If a new spring will deliver 70 hours of power reserve for 8-10 years, even if it degrades somewhat perhaps it will do 50-60 hours for the next 10? Power reserve, provided it is >= 40 hours, doesn't really matter to me. I just want a watch that is consistent in its timekeeping while it is being worn or wound.
Ok, I’ll concede that; good point. However I’d still be wary of the fact that this only works if there isn’t some other weak link that’ll still necessitate more frequent service.

Once again, though, I miss the days when Omega didn’t set the standard for “attributes to beat on paper” and Rolex found itself playing catch-up. Used to be that “standards to beat” were discovered in the real world.
Old Yesterday, 05:57 AM   #3246
SearChart
TechXpert & 2022 Pledge Member

Quote:
The 31×× and 41×× don't have serviceable barrels anymore either unfortunately.
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:43 AM   #3247
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Is the lack of power reserve another symptom? I used to have bad timekeeping (+/- 4 sec.) with a power reserve working as advertised (70ish hours)… now I have timekeeping within COSC specs but the power reserve is very weak (less than 48 hrs)
Old Yesterday, 08:36 AM   #3248
saxo3
2022 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
Is the lack of power reserve another symptom?
I have not observed that for my 32xx watches, but a reduced power reserve (48 instead of 70 hours) will become visible as soon as amplitudes are well below 200 degrees after full winding.

I used to have bad timekeeping (+/- 4 sec.) with a power reserve working as advertised (70ish hours)… now I have timekeeping within COSC specs but the power reserve is very weak (less than 48 hrs)
That does not sound good…
How do you determine (measure) the power reserve?
saxo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:46 AM   #3249
Andad
2022 Rolex SUBMARINER Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxo3 View Post
I would also be very interested to find the answer to this question E.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:13 AM   #3250
dannyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is the lack of power reserve another symptom? I used to have bad timekeeping (+/- 4 sec.) with a power reserve working as advertised (70ish hours)… now I have timekeeping within COSC specs but the power reserve is very weak (less than 48 hrs)
1. +\- 4 is actually better than COSC (+6/-4)

2. Are you measuring from when you fully wind the watch and then set it down, or when you take it off and set it down without having recently wound manually?

3. Not seen anything in this thread suggesting this is a symptom.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #3251
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing scientific… just check every hour or so. But there is no question that the power reserve has significantly dissipated.

Quote:
1. +\- 4 is actually better than COSC (+6/-4)

2. Are you measuring from when you fully wind the watch and then set it down, or when you take it off and set it down without having recently wound manually?

3. Not seen anything in this thread suggesting this is a symptom.
1. Meant COSC superlative +2/-2 as advertised
2. The latter, but my wearing behavior is quite consistent
3. Good to know, thank you
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM   #3252
dannyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nothing scientific… just check every hour or so. But there is no question that the power reserve has significantly dissipated.

1. Meant COSC superlative +2/-2 as advertised
3. Good to know, thank you
In that case, wonder if you have some other, unrelated, issue with the automatic winding, where it’s not getting fully wound on the wrist. Try fully winding manually, then setting it down and checking its PR.
Old Yesterday, 05:29 PM   #3253
saxo3
2022 Pledge Member

Quote:
the power reserve is very weak (less than 48 hrs)
Quote:
Nothing scientific… just check every hour or so. But there is no question that the power reserve has significantly dissipated
Quote:
< 48 hours is very likely not the power reserve (PR) of your watch.
What to do?

(1) full winding with 40+ full clown turns,
(2) read and note time,
(3) don't wear watch but set it down in dial up (DU) position,
(4) don't touch watch,
(5) wait until watch stops running,
(6) read and note time,
(7) calculate difference (6) – (2) in hours : minutes : seconds,
(8) that is the PR of your watch (in DU position),
(9) post result on TRF.

Nothing to do at all with science
Old Yesterday, 10:07 PM   #3254
SearChart

Quote:
< 48 hours is very likely not the power reserve (PR) of your watch.
What to do?

(1) full winding with 40+ full clown turns,
(2) read and note time,
(3) don't wear watch but set it down in dial up (DU) position,
(4) don't touch watch,
(5) wait until watch stops running,
(6) read and note time,
(7) calculate difference (6) – (2) in hours : minutes : seconds,
(8) that is the PR of your watch (in DU position),
(9) post result on TRF.

Nothing to do at all with science
If only all customers knew this, it would take care of many perceived power reserve issues.

Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #3255
saxo3
2022 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
If only all customers knew this, it would take care of many perceived power reserve issues.

And I wondered that this step-by-step list would be by far too trivial, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Old Yesterday, 11:47 PM   #3256
SearChart

Quote:

And I wondered that this step-by-step list would be by far too trivial, but that doesn't seem to be the case.
Not at all
It's rude to say but I sometimes wonder how some individuals even manage to acquire enough funds for these watches, when basic things like setting the date is too challenging for them.
Old Today, 03:19 AM   #3257
MikeyV
"TRF" Member

Watch: DateJust 41 TT
FWIW, I've tested the PR of my watch both ways (just taking it off after wearing it for 16 hours a day - every day) and also by winding it 40 times from a dead stop. It went over 70 hours every time.

But lately, I've been meaning to test it again (40 winds from dead) because the last time I let it die (from just wearing) it seemed to only go like 55 or 60 hours. I could have been lazy that week.

And also, for what it's worth, my watch is running at a steady -10 spd for the last few months. At least it's steady.

Warranty is up in June - 2023.
MikeyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 04:38 AM   #3258
dannyp
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not at all
It's rude to say but I sometimes wonder how some individuals even manage to acquire enough funds for these watches, when basic things like setting the date is too challenging for them.
That's because you're looking at it all wrong, given where the money-making seems to be. I often say to myself:

If I were 20% smarter, I could make 50% more money. If I were 30% dumber, I could get rich.
Old Today, 06:58 AM   #3259
RFC
"TRF" Member

Put my 323O Sub to Weishi 1000 timegrapher. Dial up is spot on at 0 s/day. Good amp 272 at 53 degrees lift angle. On the wrist since new it has run on average a bit slow -1.5 s/day. So, I’ve put my concerns to rest.
RFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:56 AM   #3260
saxo3
2022 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFC View Post
Put my 323O Sub to Weishi 1000 timegrapher. Dial up is spot on at 0 s/day. Good amp 272 at 53 degrees lift angle. On the wrist since new it has run on average a bit slow -1.5 s/day. So, I’ve put my concerns to rest.
Without measuring all 5 positions (CH, CB, 9H, 6H, 3H) your conclusion might be wrong.
Old Today, 01:28 PM   #3261
HiBoost
2022 Pledge Member

Quote:
Not at all

I also think there is an element of luxury which to some customers almost discourages learning such things. Much in the same way that a wealthy person may have a nice car, but a very rich person has a driver. Almost to imply operating the machine is beneath him. At my AD, there is a procession of old rich ladies who come in the first of any month where the date needs to be corrected
HiBoost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:04 PM   #3262
Andad

Quote:
I also think there is an element of luxury which to some customers almost discourages learning such things. Much in the same way that a wealthy person may have a nice car, but a very rich person has a driver. Almost to imply operating the machine is beneath him. At my AD, there is a procession of old rich ladies who come in the first of any month where the date needs to be corrected
But no old rich men?

Old Today, 03:45 PM   #3263
Andad

Quote:

Hi Bas,

My previous reply was t i c because I can’t think of any other way to check PR?

How else can it be done?

E