The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 1 November 2022, 04:34 PM   #31
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Step 1: Build a Time Machine...
Old 1 November 2022, 07:24 PM   #32
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I previously wrote a thread here about buying a 3861 vs a Snoopy 50th. I tried both but ultimately felt the Snoopy isn't worth the grey market prices. Bought the 3861 via AD and remained quite happy with it until today.

Most ADs will not get a Snoopy from Omega. It is mainly for their boutiques and its required spending history to get one from the OB is approx. 60k USD. The required spend history to buy the Snoopy is simply not worth it when I can get another Patek/Rolex/AP.
HMHM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 07:25 AM   #33
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I previously wrote a thread here about buying a 3861 vs a Snoopy 50th. I tried both but ultimately felt the Snoopy isn't worth the grey market prices. Bought the 3861 via AD and remained quite happy with it until today.

Most ADs will not get a Snoopy from Omega. It is mainly for their boutiques and its required spending history to get one from the OB is approx. 60k USD. The required spend history to buy the Snoopy is simply not worth it when I can get another Patek/Rolex/AP.
For which you’d need an equivalent spend with a Rolex, AP, Patel dealer no doubt.
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 10:04 AM   #34
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

This 60K history with the boutique is pretty odd.
I got a Snoopy and had zero history, I personally know other 3 clients that had very minimal history, in the 5-10K range… and got the Watch as well.
The only thing we have in common is that we expressed our interest Long time ago, before they opened the list.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2022, 10:05 PM   #35
rolex01
"TRF" Member

Me and my friends received the Silver snoopy without much purchase history.

I had bought one stainless steel Seamaster from the OB few years ago and I received my snoopy being one of the 1st few who express the interest of the watch.
rolex01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 03:25 AM   #36
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex01 View Post
Me and my friends received the Silver snoopy without much purchase history.

I had bought one stainless steel Seamaster from the OB few years ago and I received my snoopy being one of the 1st few who express the interest of the watch.
Sounds like if you expressed interest before the whole watch industry went crazy you could have gotten one. But in 2022, there's no way I can obtain one now unless I pre-pay for a 60th anniversary edition without knowing anything LOL

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 05:39 AM   #37
JohnWilson
"TRF" Member

Don't really get this. The Snoopy seems to be quite available, but very in demand... the 321 on the other hand is the real classic in the making, it's a far superior watch and movement with a production run that's now being shared with other watches. Can't help but think in 5 years time people are going to be asking why they were chasing the Snoopy rather than the 321!!!
JohnWilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 05:44 AM   #38
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWilson View Post
Don't really get this. The Snoopy seems to be quite available, but very in demand... the 321 on the other hand is the real classic in the making, it's a far superior watch and movement with a production run that's now being shared with other watches. Can't help but think in 5 years time people are going to be asking why they were chasing the Snoopy rather than the 321!!!
I think the 321 is all about the movement and history whereas the Snoopy is all about design.

My personal opinion is that in the long term, a good design wins. Case in point is the BMW Z8 which has poor review on how the car handles, but it's very desirable because of how it looks and its association to James Bond. It's like that with the Snoopy IMHO.

It's available in the secondary market, but not available at all in a boutique at retail price. Do you agree? If not, tell me where to get it at retail and I'll pay up.
Old 3 November 2022, 05:46 AM   #39
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
To the average Joe, the 321 looks like a regular Speedmaster. You'd have to really know and understand the Speedmaster to appreciate the 321. The Snoopy 50 is easy to see why it's different. Blue and silver dial with a Snoopy in a subdial along with the animation caseback makes it visually different enough from a regular Speedy.
texasmade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 06:19 AM   #40
JC316
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The average Joe doesn't know about the 321 and as someone has already mentioned, will probably not be able to easily discern the difference betweent the two. Even if the 321 was more readily available, I imagine many first time buyers would lean towards purchasing one of the two, more affordable, 3861 offerings.

The Snoopy looks very unique and has a cool party trick on the backside. As such, it could easily fit into any collection, large or small. From my personal experience, the Snoopy is just as difficult or more difficult than getting listed for a 321. If you have any info on where the Snoopy is more readily available, I'm sure the OP and many other forum members would definitely appreciate it.

Far superior? Nope, not for me especially considering it's almost double the cost of a 3861 Speedy. But that comes down to personal preference. I personally like the new Sapphire 3861 over the 321. Price, size, and aesthetically speaking. True, the 321 has a proven movement with long history, but I prefer the new METAS certified 3861 movement currently in this iteration of the Snoopy.

The great thing about this hobby is there is enough variety out there for everyone and their preferences.
JC316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 06:55 AM   #41
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’ve got both and I’m not sure I’d call it far superior. In some aspects it’s inferior. But it has a history and a charm the other doesn’t. it’s the one that will stand the test of time. To that extent, I agree with you and I prefer it over the snoopy.

But everyone is different and I accept the point above about preferring a sapphire 3861 - it’s a great watch and just depends on your preferences. For me, having been through most steel versions the 321 is the best steel speedmaster made, and everything I ever wanted in one.
Old 3 November 2022, 07:32 AM   #42
Topspin14m
"TRF" Member

I've now seen the Snoopy trade for under $20K versus $30K earlier this year. It's definitely dropping just like everything else. What's interesting is that it seems super rare, yet there are so many circulating on the grey market. Still a big premium to go grey, but not the spread of a SS Daytona, despite being far rarer.
Topspin14m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 08:58 AM   #43
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Quote:
If you care little for the Moon Landing aspect of the regular Speedmaster, then its just a well made mechanical chronograph

To the casual observer (or someone who doesnt care about NASA) the 321 looks pretty much the same a regular speedy but is 3x the price

At least the Snoopy has an interesting design and color scheme to make it stand out from the sea of Speedmasters that all look the same from 3 feet away

I can think of 20 Speedmasters I'd rather have over a 321
Old 3 November 2022, 10:34 AM   #44
ml91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspin14m View Post
I've now seen the Snoopy trade for under $20K versus $30K earlier this year. It's definitely dropping just like everything else. What's interesting is that it seems super rare, yet there are so many circulating on the grey market. Still a big premium to go grey, but not the spread of a SS Daytona, despite being far rarer.
Not calling you out but can you link? I’m in the market for one, I’ve only seen 30
ml91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 10:35 AM   #45
ml91
"TRF" Member

Also I have no clue why there’s a laughing emoji in my post ^^^
Old 3 November 2022, 11:25 AM   #46
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Spend
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 November 2022, 11:32 AM   #47
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml91 View Post

Not calling you out but can you link? I’m in the market for one, I’ve only seen 30
Last one on Moda was 20.9k

My mom does this to me all the time telling me I could have gotten a better deal. So one time I said, here's the exact cash you said I should have spend. Please get me the product. I didn't get the product. She gave me my money back after about 2 weeks.

Old 4 November 2022, 12:13 AM   #48
ml91
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amphora001 View Post
Last one on Moda was 20.9k

My mom does this to me all the time telling me I could have gotten a better deal. So one time I said, here's the exact cash you said I should have spend. Please get me the product. I didn't get the product. She gave me my money back after about 2 weeks.

Ahhh shit I think moda is USA only
Old 4 November 2022, 12:45 AM   #49
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
How did this turn into the Snoopy vs. 321 thread?

They are both difficult to get at retail, we can all agree to that.

To the OP, I suggest you call around to different Omega boutiques to try your luck. I had no spend history with Omega period, and landed a 321 from the only boutique in Canada.

The turn around was 7 months … nothing required other than a genuine inquiry that lead to several conversations with the boutique SA and ultimately the sale. I never had to visit ( it’s clean across the country, some 2700 miles away).

That’s not to brag, but just to say, you don’t need a huge spend history to get what you want, at least that’s how it seemed to work for me
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 01:52 AM   #50
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

To the OP, I suggest you call around to different Omega boutiques to try your luck. I had no spend history with Omega period, and landed a 321 from the only boutique in Canada.

The turn around was 7 months … nothing required other than a genuine inquiry that lead to several conversations with the boutique SA and ultimately the sale. I never had to visit ( it’s clean across the country, some 2700 miles away).

That’s not to brag, but just to say, you don’t need a huge spend history to get what you want, at least that’s how it seemed to work for me
That's good to hear. However I've proceed with my secondary market dealer. Should be getting it some time next week.

Old 4 November 2022, 08:35 AM   #51
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I agree they are both hard to get - however I suspect the demand for the snoop is (or at least was) greater than the 321 which is very likely produced in smaller quantities than the snoop.

I suspect trying to get on a list for an already over subscribed watch may be fruitless.

If it were me and I really wanted it, I’d look for the best grey price I could and bite the bullet.
Old 4 November 2022, 09:09 AM   #52
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I agree they are both hard to get - however I suspect the demand for the snoop is (or at least was) greater than the 321 which is very likely produced in smaller quantities than the snoop.

I suspect trying to get on a list for an already over subscribed watch may be fruitless.

If it were me and I really wanted it, I’d look for the best grey price I could and bite the bullet.
nothing wrong with either approach.

I haven't been keeping up with grey pricing on either reference lately. Assuming they've come down to more reasonable levels.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 November 2022, 09:47 AM   #53
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post

I see 4-5 snoopy BNIB for every EW on the secondary markets. I suspect you’re correct demand is higher for snoopy. EW is a WIS special snoopy appears to have more broad appeal but much higher annual production.
Old 4 November 2022, 09:50 AM   #54
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
nothing wrong with either approach.

I haven't been keeping up with grey pricing on either reference lately. Assuming they've come down to more reasonable levels.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
I think they have softened slightly. That said, per previous snoops, is it likely to go down much (albeit I reckon they’ve ready sold more of these than the last 2).

Who knows - but I don’t think there is much mileage in rocking Up to an OB now for the snoop. The 321 maybe as that has a more limited interest.
Old 6 November 2022, 07:39 AM   #55
bonovox
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your time
Quote:
That's good to hear. However I've proceed with my secondary market dealer. Should be getting it some time next week.

Congrats! Pics please when it happens.
bonovox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2022, 11:38 PM   #56
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1108nyc View Post
It is true. They look nothing alike :-)

This is nuts. Pro looks smaller
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2022, 09:19 AM   #57
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonovox View Post
Congrats! Pics please when it happens.
Hopefully tomorrow. But knowing FedEx they'll probably come when I'm in a virual meeting and leave before I can say I'll be right back and make me wait until the next day.
Old 15 November 2022, 06:37 AM   #58
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

It's here! Brand new.

BUT, I immediately ran into a problem. The strap is very stiff. Even if it's broken in, my wrist is too small for the strap. The watch dial itself is fine, but I enjoy my watch tight and secure and the holes in the strap doss not allow me to do it. What are my options?

Old 15 November 2022, 07:54 AM   #59
Ringhio
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's here! Brand new.

BUT, I immediately ran into a problem. The strap is very stiff. Even if it's broken in, my wrist is too small for the strap. The watch dial itself is fine, but I enjoy my watch tight and secure and the holes in the strap doss not allow me to do it. What are my options?

Very nice, congratulations!
Maybe you could consider the steel bracelet of the 3861.
You can adjust that pretty well and have the tight/sharp fit you are looking for.
Ringhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2022, 07:56 AM   #60
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringhio View Post
Very nice, congratulations!
Maybe you could consider the steel bracelet of the 3861.
You can adjust that pretty well and have the tight/sharp fit you are looking for.
Thought about it, but it'd be less blue...