The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 9 November 2022, 08:05 AM   #1
Sharkhandler
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD43
Change speedmaster strap

Hi all

I’ve just bought a new speedmaster moon watch 310.30.42.50.01.001.

I love the watch, and the history, but the bracelet is just too flimsy.

I have a seamaster 2254.50 which I used to love, but now think it’s a bit ‘thin’.

Can I swap the speedy bracelet for the seamaster? Will it fit?

Any ideas? And no - I don’t like the taper (I’ve got it on my dads speedmaster mark iv and it looks terrible there)

Thanks…
Sharkhandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 09:52 AM   #2
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

That speedy has a 20mm lug width, so that should be what you're looking for. I'm unfamiliar with that other omega, but if its the same lug width and there isnt something unusual like curving on that bracelet, I don’t see why it wouldn't work.

I purchased a Bulang and sons black leather strap for the speedmaster - they worked with the same leather tannery that made the original straps for the speedy.
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 03:46 PM   #3
Jster
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t know if the bracelet swap will work but I’m curious why you find the 2254.50 “thin”.
Jster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 November 2022, 08:48 PM   #4
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
In the UK I would consult Swiss Watch Spares. He deals in brand-new, genuine Omega bracelets, straps, clasps, etc, and he's probably the authority on what will work with your watch.

This link is to a bracelet well loved by Speedmaster owners that I believe is a direct fit to your watch (it's made for a watch in the same case as yours). It's a "flat-link" style with a blend of satin and mirror polishing. It tapers, but I believe the links at the clasp are slightly wider than the bracelet that came on your watch, and I know the clasp is wider than the clasp that came with your watch:

https://www.swisswatchspares.com/pro...steel-bracelet

Here is a link to the bracelet that came on the last iteration of the Speedmaster Pro using Caliber 1861/1863. I think Swiss Watch Spares says it's a direct fit to your watch. The taper is from 20mm at the case to 18mm at the clasp. There are two different quick-adjust clasps from other Omega bracelets that are a direct fit on this bracelet, and a number of Speedmaster owners have made the swap. One clasp has five quick-adjust places and the other has three. I tried the five-place version but it was bulkier than I prefer, and I recommend giving the three-place version a try if you're interested in this (I think Omega puts the three-place clasp on the Tokyo Olympic model of the Speedmaster Pro):

https://www.swisswatchspares.com/pro...861-moon-watch

Finally, the venerable Omega Reference 1171. It's remarkable that Omega still produces this bracelet because it was standard on the Speedmaster Pro from the early 1970s until the late 1980s, after which it never came as standard on new watches. Anyhow, they still make it and you can still buy it brand-new. End-links are folded (not solid), the clasp is stamped, and the overall vibe is vintage and jangly. Still, it looks cool in a vintage tool watch way. I've never owned one for my watches, but I was at a track driving event a couple of years ago where someone had his modern Speedmaster on this bracelet, and I thought it looked great in person:

https://www.swisswatchspares.com/pro...acelet-vintage
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2022, 03:40 AM   #5
Sharkhandler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jster View Post
I don’t know if the bracelet swap will work but I’m curious why you find the 2254.50 “thin”.
Just that! When I look at it face on, it’s gorgeous. Turn my wrist to the side, and it just lacks a certain … ooomph. And the bracelet looks too big for it, like it should be on a thicker watch.

That’s why I’m tempted to swap over the speedy bracelet.

It’s one of the best looking seamasters imo.
Old 10 November 2022, 11:30 AM   #6
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkhandler View Post
Just that! When I look at it face on, it’s gorgeous. Turn my wrist to the side, and it just lacks a certain … ooomph. And the bracelet looks too big for it, like it should be on a thicker watch.

That’s why I’m tempted to swap over the speedy bracelet.

It’s one of the best looking seamasters imo.
I must be confused. You want to know if a bracelet that you don't like will fit on a watch you think lacks oomph because it's too thin, and you want us to tell you if this will work?
Old 11 November 2022, 04:43 AM   #7
Sharkhandler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
I must be confused. You want to know if a bracelet that you don't like will fit on a watch you think lacks oomph because it's too thin, and you want us to tell you if this will work?
No … I want to take the strap off the seamaster and put it on the speedmaster.

And I just would like to know if it’s possible
Old 11 November 2022, 09:11 AM   #8
GTS Dean
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3570.50
Do you have curved ends on the Seamaster strap, or straight? The thing to watch for is the lug hole distance from the 12 and 6-o'clock positions on the case OD. I often wonder if some or all the 41-41.5mm cases with twisted lugs have the same pin holes or not.
Old 11 November 2022, 01:42 PM   #9
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkhandler View Post
No … I want to take the strap off the seamaster and put it on the speedmaster.

And I just would like to know if it’s possible
Since you have both watches why don't you give it a try?

The second option in my reply above (offerings from Swiss Watch Spares) is styled like the 2254's bracelet, and its end-links are compatible with the case of your Speedmaster Pro.
Old 12 November 2022, 07:28 AM   #10
Sharkhandler
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Since you have both watches why don't you give it a try?

The second option in my reply above (offerings from Swiss Watch Spares) is styled like the 2254's bracelet, and its end-links are compatible with the case of your Speedmaster Pro.
Just because I’m not that confident in swapping bracelets yet and before I did I thought I’d pick some brains more knowledgeable than me.

I’ll probably try a straight swap first then look at a new bracelet second.

Thanks for all the help.