The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 16 November 2022, 09:06 AM   #31
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

My opinion is that the watch itself is equal to Rolex, but the bracelet and quality is not as good a Rolex. You don't hear about anyone saying Rolex bracelet is sharp and cut them or causes skin irritations etc. I've experienced some of that. I've also had a screw fall off the bracelet, AND I had a clasp that got stuck and won't open and I had to go to an AD to replace it. None of those things has happened to any of my Rolex.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 09:17 AM   #32
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I like both.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 11:06 AM   #33
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
Even though this is a troll thread, I do think Omega is more fun. The difficulty of buying a Rolex, and the way guys connect Rolex ownership to their ego and sense of success in life… is far too serious for me.

For example, my seamaster 300 I grabbed the other week is just fun. It has red text to troll the vintage Rolex crowd. The transparent case back is totally unnecessary but cool. The helium escape is a fine bit of over engineering that hardly anyone will ever use. And then, in case you didn’t yet realize it’s a PROFESSIONAL DIVE WATCH, the dial has literal waves laser engraved on it.

What’s the resale value? Probably not much, but it’s a very nice watch for the $5000 sticker price in the rubber
Agreed. Omega is super fun.

And the 300 is a truly awesome watch. Wears great, looks great and the build quality is top notch. I love mine.

The fact that you can actually get them…well that’s just super.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 11:20 AM   #34
Polar Bear
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai PAM687
Nothing Screams "We make the best quality watches" like beating your connection to the moon landing and association to a fictional character to death in order to generate some market attention...
Old 16 November 2022, 12:15 PM   #35
burnthesehills
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Nothing Screams "We make the best quality watches" like beating your connection to the moon landing and association to a fictional character to death in order to generate some market attention...
But hey, it works, no? Rolex has done much of the same. Some of their ads and marketing have been truly cringe inducing over the years. But such is life in the big city.
burnthesehills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 12:44 PM   #36
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthesehills View Post
But hey, it works, no? Rolex has done much of the same. Some of their ads and marketing have been truly cringe inducing over the years. But such is life in the big city.
x2 Rolex sponsors yacht races, Wimbledon, Everest and deep sea expeditions, etc. to create an image of success, knowing full well 99% of their customers don’t patronize those events

In reality Rolex is more likely to be worn by a Hong Kong taxi driver than by a wealthy yacht-racing bon vivant
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 01:02 PM   #37
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
x2 Rolex sponsors yacht races, Wimbledon, Everest and deep sea expeditions, etc. to create an image of success, knowing full well 99% of their customers don’t patronize those events

In reality Rolex is more likely to be worn by a Hong Kong taxi driver than by a wealthy yacht-racing bon vivant
True. And that's an ad campaign I'd love to see
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg gettyimages-522992318-612x612.jpeg (48.0 KB, 245 views)
Old 16 November 2022, 01:06 PM   #38
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegsXWatches View Post
I believe Omega makes higher quality watches than Rolex.
No, they don’t.

I’ve owned many of both brands for over 50 years, old models and new ones.

No, they don’t.

Their equivalence varies by taste.
Some like one aspect, others a different aspect.

So, you see, they both make similar Swiss watches that essentially keep time fairly well for those who don’t have a smartphone or smartwatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:45 PM   #39
TimeAZ
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Omega is the brand people go to because they are unable to get a Rolex. Omega is always the "available alternative". That is all you need to know, draw your own conclusions.

Ps: 95% or more of Omega's vast, endless catalog can be ordered online at omegawatches.com, just add to cart and continue to checkout. Be sure to add coupon code FALLSAVINGS20 or THANKSGIVEN25 to apply discounts of 20 to 25% off!! Free shipping on orders over $500! Express shipping available!!
Old 16 November 2022, 02:52 PM   #40
Andad

Watch: A few.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atone View Post
ed white is a killer piece and light years beyond its rolex counterparts for sure
I should be good at around AUS$40,000.00.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 02:56 PM   #41
Rooibard
"TRF" Member

At the moment timex is a better made more reliable watch than Rolex , with the 32xx movement problems . Or buy a cheap fake Rolex it will run more accurately for longer
Rooibard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 04:18 PM   #42
BNA/LION

Watch: ROLEX
We can simply Agree to Disagree.

✦ 28238 President DD 18K/YG ✦ 16610LN SS Sub ✦ 16613 18K/SS Serti ✦ 16550 Exp II Non-Rail Cream Dial ✦ Daytona C 116500 ✦ 126710 BLRO GMT-Master II ✦ NEXT-->?
Hole In One! 10/3/19 DMCC 5th hole, par 3, 168 yards w/ 4-Iron.
BNA/LION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 04:23 PM   #43
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Nope
Old 16 November 2022, 04:44 PM   #44
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
Originally Posted by rooibard View Post
at the moment timex is a better made more reliable watch than rolex , with the 32xx movement problems . Or buy a cheap fake rolex it will run more accurately for longer
⊙_☉
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 995017EA-C18E-4501-95FC-895B662A8A9E.jpeg (120.9 KB, 223 views)
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 04:56 PM   #45
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

There is no player that can compete with Omega at this production level in terms of quality (finishing, movement, innovation etc). I am fully on board with this. Not going to sit here and nitpick Rolex and other brands but styling and aesthetics is a very personal thing. Some aspects of Omega just doesn't sing to some..... Then there are some that can't get past marketing and branding. But I'm definitely convinced watch to watch in the same class with Omega vs Rolex I'd give the nod to Omega more often than not.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 08:37 PM   #46
Star Ferry
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post
Omega is the brand people go to because they are unable to get a Rolex. Omega is always the "available alternative". That is all you need to know, draw your own conclusions.

Ps: 95% or more of Omega's vast, endless catalog can be ordered online at omegawatches.com, just add to cart and continue to checkout. Be sure to add coupon code FALLSAVINGS20 or THANKSGIVEN25 to apply discounts of 20 to 25% off!! Free shipping on orders over $500! Express shipping available!!
You are not discussing which watch is better. You’re discussing a feeling of exclusivity. Anyway, you can do the same thing for Rolex at chrono24, jomashop, or many other gray dealer websites
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 09:31 PM   #47
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
No, they don’t.

I’ve owned many of both brands for over 50 years, old models and new ones.

No, they don’t.

Their equivalence varies by taste.
Some like one aspect, others a different aspect.

So, you see, they both make similar Swiss watches that essentially keep time fairly well for those who don’t have a smartphone or smartwatch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
This is how I would describe my opinion and experience, too. I have worn some disappointing Rolex watches and some that really impressed me, and I have had the same experience with Omega watches.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 10:57 PM   #48
chopper7
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 GMT
Who cares?
chopper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 11:10 PM   #49
stevestil
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunylw View Post
Agreed. Their brand is so strong they decided make a plastic version of their premier watch line for $200. Move over Rolex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevestil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2022, 11:13 PM   #50
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
This omega vs Rolex competition is fluid. Rolex has been winning for decades but since their price and availability became a problem, omega has been hitting home runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 12:05 AM   #51
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Watch: all of them
The quality is certainly on par and much more reasonably priced. I do like some Rolex design elements in regard to the oyster bracelet and bezels, however for most professional watches I largely prefer Omega. Rolex wins on the GMT and datejust, but I prefer Omega divers and speedy over the Daytona. Omega also offers more variety. I love the aqua terra line, especially my Worldtimer, for which Rolex doesn’t have a clear alternative. Also, the Omega PO ultra is worlds more appealing than Rolex’s latest deep sea wall clock.
Old 17 November 2022, 12:06 AM   #52
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeAZ View Post

Utter nonsense. This is pure fanboy talk.
Old 17 November 2022, 01:40 AM   #53
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Quote:
Originally Posted by htc8p View Post
This omega vs Rolex competition is fluid. Rolex has been winning for decades but since their price and availability became a problem, omega has been hitting home runs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Winning in popularity is not the same as winning in quality.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 02:03 AM   #54
FloydRedford
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16710
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnorpheus View Post
….Omega PO ultra is worlds more appealing than Rolex’s latest deep sea wall clock.
Ha ha! “deep sea wall clock”!!! I love it
FloydRedford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 02:14 AM   #55
jingerman
"TRF" Member

Omega does make some really good dial designs! But to each his own.. currently am swayed towards Rolex but that might change

jingerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 02:36 AM   #56
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by duquephart View Post
Winning in popularity is not the same as winning in quality.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 03:34 AM   #57
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
My opinion, having a nice group of both brands, is that Omega makes an all around better watch. Of course we know about re sale.

It really wasn’t until the last few years that you would lose more when reselling an Omega. Mostly because if the price difference.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 07:04 AM   #58
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
this is clearly a troll post.

but I will play. I love omega. and I often prefer omega as it does not carry what I feel is a negative stigma of Rolex. I realize a lot of people think the Rolex branding is amazing. and it is. but I hate being a part of the crowd, so to me, it is a bit of a turn off.

but it is hard to beat Rolex watches. they are truly top quality from the aesthetics to the build.

I will always love my omega watches, and I look forward to getting my next. but they are not better watches.

the troll has an anecdotal story and comes onto a board such as this only looking to rufflee feathers.

needless to say, that will likely not happen in the open forum. he should have put this in Rolex forum. they would try to tar and feather him over there.
My sentiments as well. Right now, my Speedmaster Professional cal 3861 is getting the most wrist time of any of my watches. Omega absolutely makes models that are some of the best value propositions on the market. There's also a lot they make that I have no interest in. I think they've really perfected their cases, movements, etc. They still need to work on their bracelets.

There are few if any brands out there that feel as robust as Rolex. There are certainly "finer" brands in terms of finish, legacy, etc; but I can't think of any brand that feels the way a Rolex does.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2022, 07:20 AM   #59
johnorpheus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
this is clearly a troll post.

but I will play. I love omega. and I often prefer omega as it does not carry what I feel is a negative stigma of Rolex. I realize a lot of people think the Rolex branding is amazing. and it is. but I hate being a part of the crowd, so to me, it is a bit of a turn off.

but it is hard to beat Rolex watches. they are truly top quality from the aesthetics to the build.

I will always love my omega watches, and I look forward to getting my next. but they are not better watches.

the troll has an anecdotal story and comes onto a board such as this only looking to rufflee feathers.

needless to say, that will likely not happen in the open forum. he should have put this in Rolex forum. they would try to tar and feather him over there.
I don’t know that it’s a troll post. Regardless, the open forum is filled with Rolex fanboys and many of them have not explored watches outside of Rolex and maybe Tudor, so open forum feedback is not that valuable when comparing brands. I agree that it’s a little much to say they make “better” watches, but I do really think Omega and Rolex are pretty much on par.
Old 17 November 2022, 07:27 AM   #60
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooibard View Post
At the moment timex is a better made more reliable watch than Rolex , with the 32xx movement problems . Or buy a cheap fake Rolex it will run more accurately for longer
Yes, all 5 of your posts have made that abundantly clear.

Sent using Tapatalk
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote