The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 20 November 2022, 09:55 AM   #1
ww2gunguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Hesalite vs. Sapphire

Hey guys I've had my heslite 310.30.43.50.01.001 for about a year...I really like it so far...I was giving some thought to selling it for the sapphire 310.30.43.50.01.002...I like the band better on the sapphire and the look of the sapphire crystal, but not really a fan of the milky ring....seem like the the heslite ones are the "most popular" from my readings....I'm just wondering if guys that have owned either of these for several years still like the version they originally bought or have regrets now.
ww2gunguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2022, 10:25 AM   #2
Kinnakeet
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Breguet Typexx
Not a guy but purchased both not quite a year ago. Still prefer the look of hesilite.
Kinnakeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2022, 10:48 AM   #3
ww2gunguy
"TRF" Member

I still value your input guy or gal ;-)
Old 20 November 2022, 11:21 AM   #4
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Man….the age old hesalite vs sapphire debate…

I have owned a few generations of hesalite models and one sapphire watch. The only thing I liked about the sapphire watch I owned was the scratch resistance. I did not like the look though. I much prefer the “warm” look of the hesalite. It just looks like a Speedmaster to me. I own the current gen hesalite speedy and I think it’s the best yet.

That being said….get what you like. If you prefer the sapphire then do it. You’ll be happier. I really don’t think the ole “milky ring” should be a deal breaker.
Old 21 November 2022, 07:49 AM   #5
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
At the point of sale I went with the sapphire, liked it more, no regrets
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 07:51 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
The hesalite looks better, but I prefer everything else about the sapphire
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 09:17 AM   #7
omar-rye
"TRF" Member

Hesalite vs. Sapphire

I personally reserve the hesalite for vintage and the sapphire for the modern iteration. The sapphire on the 3861 has underside AR coating, which gives it a whole other experience. The dimensionality of the step dial and step registers are much better presented with the AR coated sapphire. And since the sapphire is boxed, you get an undistorted and crystal clear view of the dial. The byproduct of that is you will get a halo ring in some lighting at the edge of the crystal. Big deal? No, it's hardly noticeable in most settings. It's mostly only obvious in photos.

Omega could have rounded the crystal to negate the halo ring. The issue with rounding the domed crystal and still keeping it raised is the magnification/distortion effect you will get on the dial. I'd rather not have sapphire distortion. Its quite distracting and not the same kind of distortion that you get with hesalite. You can’t see it in the photos, but the crystal also ends up having this dip in the middle. The NTTD Seamaster has it to an extend

There’s also a huge advantage to the sapphire - the exhibition case back. My friends and family, who are mostly not into watches, always get excited as soon I turn the watch over. They understand the appeal as soon as they see the engine. It’s a great conversation starter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omar-rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 01:09 PM   #8
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Hesalite all day. You can get another band if you want. I think the charm is lost in the sapphire and I think the dial pops more too.
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 01:21 PM   #9
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
The hesalite is so warm and beautiful. Side by side I could never choose the sapphire.
Old 21 November 2022, 01:52 PM   #10
David5807
"TRF" Member

OP, it sounds like you like the flashier look of the sapphire model, so go with that. Being an owner of an Omega with a sapphire crystal, I prefer it for its look and added durability. Plus, the watch seems more premium, and who doesn't like to see a good movement.
David5807 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 07:53 PM   #11
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 11:52 PM   #12
sportsfan0704
"TRF" Member

One thing to consider about the sapphire vs hesalite is the caseback. I had the hesalite, which looked great on the top crystal, but the engravings on the caseback constantly scratched my arm hair or caused discomfort (and FYI I'm not particularly hairy). A lot of talk on the 3861 is how the bracelet traps arm hair, but I found it to be more so the case back than the bracelet. I imagine since the Sapphire doesn't have the same engravings, it might be more comfortable on the wrist
sportsfan0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 01:05 AM   #13
duquephart
"TRF" Member

Watch: Snowflake
Not to mention the engravings are stupid.
duquephart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 01:31 AM   #14
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

I might be helpful here. I owned the 1861 Hesalite Speedmaster Professional. When the new 3861 movement came out, I was looking to sell off my old Speedmaster and replace it. My motivations had a lot to do with the movement; which could be hacked for more accurate time setting. I also liked the bracelet upgrade. Everything else about the case and dial I could really take or leave.

I ended up getting the sapphire 3861 model largely because it helped me justify selling a Speedmaster, spending more money, and getting another Speedmaster. I am glad I did. I get why everyone loves the Hesalite model. I did for sure. That said, the sapphire "feels" higher quality. It feels more in line with my Rolex and IWC collection whereas the Hesalite felt more like a tool. I also realize that the the "tool-like" feeling of the Hesalite model is part of the draw and charm. I just feel the sapphire has really become the standard in terms of what Omega is doing with the Speedmaster Professional. The precious metal variations are basically gold versions of the sapphire 3861. I also liked the subtle polished intermediate links on the bracelet.

For me, and me alone, the Speedmaster went from a "beater" watch that I wore occasionally to my daily wearer constantly fighting with my GMT-Master II for supremacy. I get 100% why people prefer the Hesalite version. It is closer to what the watch was originally meant to be. I just think the Speedmaster is its best self in the sapphire configuration. The "milky ring" does not bother me one bit. I like that the crystal sits flatter making the thickness of the case less.

Good luck. You can't make a wrong choice and I am sure you will end up loving whichever variation you get.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 01:40 AM   #15
tifosi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post
I might be helpful here. I owned the 1861 Hesalite Speedmaster Professional. When the new 3861 movement came out, I was looking to sell off my old Speedmaster and replace it. My motivations had a lot to do with the movement; which could be hacked for more accurate time setting. I also liked the bracelet upgrade. Everything else about the case and dial I could really take or leave.

I ended up getting the sapphire 3861 model largely because it helped me justify selling a Speedmaster, spending more money, and getting another Speedmaster. I am glad I did. I get why everyone loves the Hesalite model. I did for sure. That said, the sapphire "feels" higher quality. It feels more in line with my Rolex and IWC collection whereas the Hesalite felt more like a tool. I also realize that the the "tool-like" feeling of the Hesalite model is part of the draw and charm. I just feel the sapphire has really become the standard in terms of what Omega is doing with the Speedmaster Professional. The precious metal variations are basically gold versions of the sapphire 3861. I also liked the subtle polished intermediate links on the bracelet.

For me, and me alone, the Speedmaster went from a "beater" watch that I wore occasionally to my daily wearer constantly fighting with my GMT-Master II for supremacy. I get 100% why people prefer the Hesalite version. It is closer to what the watch was originally meant to be. I just think the Speedmaster is its best self in the sapphire configuration. The "milky ring" does not bother me one bit. I like that the crystal sits flatter making the thickness of the case less.

Good luck. You can't make a wrong choice and I am sure you will end up loving whichever variation you get.
Although I prefer the hesalite, this is very well put. Great response.
Old 22 November 2022, 02:29 AM   #16
Ravager135
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tifosi View Post
Although I prefer the hesalite, this is very well put. Great response.
Thank you. When people ask about Hesalite or sapphire the cosmetic differences are always covered. What I think potential buyers should be asking themselves is do they want a Speedmaster that is closest in pedigree to the watch that went to the Moon or do they want the most modern interpretation of the same watch. I love that Omega offers both. If I owned another version of the Speedmaster, I'd probably go back and get the Hesalite version to replace my sapphire to add variety. As a one and only guy, the sapphire makes the most sense for me. Regardless of which version anyone picks, I completely get why this could be the only watch you'd ever need.
Ravager135 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 11:06 AM   #17
ww2gunguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
I think this post is exactly where I'm at...thanks for the opinions....I think ff I can get a fair price out of my hesalite I'll end up with a sapphire....if not I guess I'll keep my hesalite.
Old 22 November 2022, 12:02 PM   #18
Cougar1968
"TRF" Member

I ended up with Hesalite mainly because it was cheaper. The differences in the bracelet/logo didn’t really matter to me. If I had to do it over I may have gone with sapphire for scratch resistance but not sure it’s worth the price difference.
Cougar1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 12:04 PM   #19
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by ww2gunguy View Post
I think this post is exactly where I'm at...thanks for the opinions....I think ff I can get a fair price out of my hesalite I'll end up with a sapphire....if not I guess I'll keep my hesalite.
Good luck John, there really is no wrong answer
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 November 2022, 06:24 AM   #20
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

I also chose the haselite!
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 November 2022, 03:20 AM   #21
Guppydriver
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 126710BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravager135 View Post

This precisely, superb post..

I went for the Sapphire. I prefer the raised Omega logo on the dial and the open caseback. It's my only manual wind and wanted to be able to see the only movement I own that lacks a rotor. It's not beautiful compared to a lot of what's out there, but it was certainly a factor for me.
Guppydriver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 02:12 AM   #22
MJ EXPLORER
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Air-King
I've never gone back and forth more on a watch. One thing's for sure....I was never going to buy the 1861. I've always liked it, but never loved it. When the 3861 came out, I knew I'd be getting one. The bracelet was such a huge upgrade. Of course, I'm a fan of a good taper.

I was all in on the saphire for all of the reasons others have articulated...then I bought the hesalite. Of all things, in person I liked the applied logo on the sapphire, but it would disappear under certain lighting conditions. On the pained logo of the hesalite I could always see at every angle. That little difference just made it feel sportier.
MJ EXPLORER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2022, 04:24 AM   #23
EndlessEight
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Hulk, BLRO
I just love the movement on the Speedy. So I plan to go sapphire.
EndlessEight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2022, 11:24 AM   #24
banzrs311
"TRF" Member

Love hesalite on my 1861. Poly watch twice a year and holding up solid for last 6 years with daily abuse

banzrs311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2022, 02:49 AM   #25
s0ckpupp3t
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ EXPLORER View Post
I've never gone back and forth more on a watch. One thing's for sure....I was never going to buy the 1861. I've always liked it, but never loved it. When the 3861 came out, I knew I'd be getting one. The bracelet was such a huge upgrade. Of course, I'm a fan of a good taper.

I was all in on the saphire for all of the reasons others have articulated...then I bought the hesalite. Of all things, in person I liked the applied logo on the sapphire, but it would disappear under certain lighting conditions. On the pained logo of the hesalite I could always see at every angle. That little difference just made it feel sportier.

Funny, I bought the Sapphire for the exact opposite reason. I thought it was pretty cool that the applied Omega logo on the Sapphire Sandwich played hide-and-seek with the light.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
s0ckpupp3t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 03:26 AM   #26
boywithakoi
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 126720VTNR
100% hesalite for me!
Old 12 December 2022, 04:40 AM   #27
ww2gunguy
"TRF" Member

Well I sold the hesalite and bought the sapphire …soooo happy I did…while the heslite was nice, and may be closer to Apollo’s original….the sapphire feels more like a 6-7k watch and in my opinion better value for what your buying….very happy with it!
Old 12 December 2022, 07:28 AM   #28
Nodzex
"TRF" Member

Bought Haselite, couldn’t get over “Milky Ring”!
Once you see it, you can’t unsee it.
Nodzex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 07:39 AM   #29
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Just bought a hesalite, really didn’t consider going the saltire route. Hesalite for me is classic omega. I love the sapphire sandwich and seeing the movement but hesalite is the winner for me. I also like the brushed center links vs the small bit of polished. Not a big deal but i enjoy that it’s brushed.

shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 December 2022, 07:46 AM   #30
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Hesi for the win
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote