The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 November 2022, 09:12 PM   #61
nyyankees
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1216610
No way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nyyankees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 09:17 PM   #62
ts3
"TRF" Member

Just no, and that comes from a guy who has little appreciation for Rolex dive watches outside of the water.

If you do want an IWC chrono do yourself a favor and look at the classics such as 3705, 3706, or 3711/13 rather than the "fashion" piece you are considering.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 09:19 PM   #63
toolr
2024 Pledge Member

I also like the IWC AMG, it's a striking watch. Having said that, I've had a few Submariners over the years and have come to regret selling every one that I sold.
toolr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 11:42 PM   #64
SLWoodster
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT BLNR
Go for it.

The 14060 is a great watch. Basic, everyday, entry submariner. In fact I think it's the least expensive one aside from a Tudor. You know what it's like? it's like a Porsche 996. The more collectible 14060 is the 2 liner and with patina. This Patronas IWC is pretty special. It's actually not that loud either like a ceramic AP calendar would be. you can always just replace the strap.

If you're not feeling it, and want to trade out, then that's what you gotta do. You already said you have other subs. Don't think you'd miss it. If you do, easy to buy it back, they are a dime, 10 dozen.

I think the IWC would be a fun addition. But I wouldn't trade it for... say... a 5513 with ghosted bezel.
SLWoodster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2022, 11:48 PM   #65
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
OP, if I was you I'd take most of the responses that simply say "no" (or similar) with a pinch of salt. Yes that's their opinion, but it's based on their own ideals and beliefs... not yours.
When someone poses a question like this on an internet website, what else can you expect from people but their opinions?? And on what else could ‘their’ opinions possibly be based??
Old 22 November 2022, 12:29 AM   #66
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
When someone poses a question like this on an internet website, what else can you expect from people but their opinions?? And on what else could ‘their’ opinions possibly be based??
The rest of my post that you haven’t quoted is trying to get the OP to maybe think about it differently. Rather than forming an opinion based on the likes and dislikes of others, I’m suggesting he should treat watch-buying as a more personal journey of discovery. Buy what you like, when you like it, and if you develop/grow/change over time, then so be it.

All the OP will get from a string of essentially one word answers, is a poll as to which model the membership here prefers. So 99% of people prefer the 14060M - well that’s all really great and everything (on a Rolex forum no less), but if the OP wants to base his own collection on what OTHER people like, I just think he’s missing out.

But OK, I’ll give a different answer -

“OP, no you shouldn’t sell the 14060M because I like it, and therefore YOU should like it too.”
Old 22 November 2022, 12:30 AM   #67
Joearch
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Not a good move….
Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 01:36 AM   #68
DeVille
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K 4 LIFE
The IWC is also online-only (at least here in the UK) - it can not be purchased from either a retailer or a boutique. It is a limited-run piece. It is much, much rarer than the Sub.
DeVille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 01:41 AM   #69
trackingtime
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Audemars Piguet RO
keep the sub, buy the iwc anyway
trackingtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 02:00 AM   #70
daveswordfish
"TRF" Member

100% YES. You said it in the opening post. Your heart says to do it and you’ve been thinking about it for months. That’s what you do. Plenty of subs out there. Besides, you also said the IWC is your favorite color and the only watch that completely nails the right hue. What is holding you back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
daveswordfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 03:44 AM   #71
SudiYunus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Cartier Panthere
Sub
DJ 36 White Dial ,CasiOak
Sub ND
SudiYunus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 03:50 AM   #72
dubins930
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Get what you like better… you can always buy another sub and you can always buy another iwc chrono
dubins930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 04:05 AM   #73
Thuilln
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570
Never in a 100 years.

Old 22 November 2022, 04:27 AM   #74
jaySL350
"TRF" Member

Watch: BBG,Hulk,16013,DJB
No,,,
jaySL350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 04:29 AM   #75
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

No. the Mercedes edition doesn't seem special enough IMHO.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 04:40 AM   #76
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
I like some IWC watches but that one does nothing for me. Stick with the Sub
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 04:44 AM   #77
Agamemnon
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex - Panerai
The Submariner is worth double and will be worth even triple.
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 05:04 AM   #78
Ungucpho
"TRF" Member

As an owner of 4 IWC watches, i'd say no
Ungucpho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 09:09 AM   #79
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffes4closers View Post
No date subs, to me, always look super cool in pictures and in some romantic sense feel like more of the “enthusiast’s” choice, but I too, am always underwhelmed by them when I try to integrate one into my rotation.

I’ve always liked the IWC pilot watches, and feel like if you have multiple black dial rolex dive watches, especially 5 digits, it would add some needed diversity into your lineup.
This has been my experience so far, but I can't seem to move on just yet.
IR201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 09:10 AM   #80
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Collar Boy View Post
I vastly prefer that Sub, but you should live in the moment and do it, because you’ve already been thinking about it for six months. Before you do, perhaps wear nothing but that Sub for a whole week to see if you can find the old spark you had when you bought it.
Good suggestion - I'm always torn between putting it out of sight for awhile to see how I feel, or wearing it non stop to see same - two diff approaches
Old 22 November 2022, 09:11 AM   #81
Jack T
"TRF" Member

Watch: Several
Quote:
The rest of my post that you haven’t quoted is trying to get the OP to maybe think about it differently. Rather than forming an opinion based on the likes and dislikes of others, I’m suggesting he should treat watch-buying as a more personal journey of discovery. Buy what you like, when you like it, and if you develop/grow/change over time, then so be it.

All the OP will get from a string of essentially one word answers, is a poll as to which model the membership here prefers. So 99% of people prefer the 14060M - well that’s all really great and everything (on a Rolex forum no less), but if the OP wants to base his own collection on what OTHER people like, I just think he’s missing out.

But OK, I’ll give a different answer -

“OP, no you shouldn’t sell the 14060M because I like it, and therefore YOU should like it too.”
Yes, you did make those points, and I agree, we should go with what we like, how we feel about an object. But seldom do we make such decisions, especially in this hobby, without seeking some input from others.

Perhaps my comment came across as snippy, but I was giving the OP credit for knowing that these are just personal opinions, which, I presume he wanted, since he started the thread. Cheers,
Old 22 November 2022, 09:12 AM   #82
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianmachine View Post
what other subs do you have?
116619LB and 16610LV
Old 22 November 2022, 09:13 AM   #83
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom33 View Post
You bought the sub for a reason. Think back to why
you bought it.
I have sold several Rolex models and regret it.
The IWC is nice but in no way does it hold the
Historical significance of the Sub.
Think about that.
Thank you, good point.
Old 22 November 2022, 09:15 AM   #84
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganagati View Post
It sounds like you've made up your mind; you like one and don't really like the other. Go for the IWC....but do so with the long game in mind. Your Rolex will always be worth the same or more; the IWC will decrease in value. Have the other side add the cash to cover that delta.
Yeah, the long game is the crux of the matter. Have not been thinking so much in value but in terms of which piece will I enjoy more long term and sustainably. Clearly the IWC is the preference of the moment. But will I tire of it, want something new, wish I had the sub back? Probably if I'm being honest with myself
Old 22 November 2022, 09:16 AM   #85
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Haha, no way. You’re overthinking it. Keep the watch and move on with your life (take on another hobby, focus on something else).
Definitely truth here!
Old 22 November 2022, 09:18 AM   #86
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
OP, if I was you I'd take most of the responses that simply say "no" (or similar) with a pinch of salt. Yes that's their opinion, but it's based on their own ideals and beliefs... not yours.

IMO, you should only keep a watch if you feel something when you look at it and when you wear it. OK, so the 14060M is an icon - to that I say, "so what?". Just because it's iconic to some/most (and I have one myself incidentally) it doesn't mean you automatically have to love it. I also don't hold with the view that you may "mature" into it. If we live our lives with that attitude we may as well all just buy Velcro shoes and Zimmerframes as soon as we hit puberty as we'll no doubt all mature into those someday too!

To me, watches are a journey of experience and learning, not a race to get that "be all and end all" collection in the shortest possible time. On a personal note I've always bought what I like a point in time. Some I've sold and then re-bought years later, while others I've sold and never thought twice about. Why keep something because society / conventional wisdom tells you it's an icon if it does little for you?

My advice, buy what YOU like, when YOU like it, and forget about the opinions of other.

(That said, on a personal note, I wouldn't choose that particular IWC if I was going to trade. Too loud and a bit gimmicky IMO.... but then that is just my opinion!)
I greatly appreciate this thoughtful response, and was hoping to get something like it when I posted

A lot of these questions about this watch or that come down to the underlying philosophies, principles, values etc. which underpin our collection decisions

And comments like yours get at that - make me consider and really think about what means most to me

Thank you so much
Old 22 November 2022, 09:22 AM   #87
IR201
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack T View Post
I look for different ways of seeing the situation I might not have considered

Your post about some pieces in different hobbies deserve permanence resonated with me
Old 22 November 2022, 09:36 AM   #88
IR201
"TRF" Member

Thank you to everyone for the replies and help. I REALLY appreciate your taking the time. I wish I had a conclusion for you (I don't) but you've given me much to think about.
Old 22 November 2022, 09:36 AM   #89
domi1
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060, BLRO...
NO!
14060m is one of the best sub ever!
domi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 November 2022, 02:58 PM   #90
kanwind
"TRF" Member

Depend on how much you love for the IWC
For rolex, you can buy at any time if you have the money, it is not difficult to find another one,
The IWC maybe harder to find another one, but once you get it, you suppose will hold it for a long time as it will loss money

so really depend on how much you love is
of course, the best way is ....why not both?!
kanwind is offline   Reply With Quote