The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 October 2018, 03:21 AM   #1
rmlovett1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
5524R any love? Any thoughts?

Wondering what the thoughts are on this reference? Any love?.....why or why not? What’s the market saying on this one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 03:27 AM   #2
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

i didn't like it all that much. I tried it on 3 different times over a couple month period. I love the G so the R automatically has a disadvantage however i just dont think the RG color works. It seems really light so not sure if thats the normal shade they always use or not but it just doesnt work on this watch. It could also be due to the polished case as when the light is always reflecting off the mirror surfaces it just looks really, really light.

Brown dial, brown strap. Lots of things to nitpick.
current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 03:36 AM   #3
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler1980 View Post
i didn't like it all that much. I tried it on 3 different times over a couple month period. I love the G so the R automatically has a disadvantage however i just dont think the RG color works. It seems really light so not sure if thats the normal shade they always use or not but it just doesnt work on this watch. It could also be due to the polished case as when the light is always reflecting off the mirror surfaces it just looks really, really light.

Brown dial, brown strap. Lots of things to nitpick.
Gotcha. I’m looking at so many references, but this one and the 5170j really caught my eye
Old 17 October 2018, 03:57 AM   #4
danestaff
Banned

Watch: 5968a
got to be honest, i prefer the 5524g its more understated , the rose gold looks to jazzy if that makes sense, but on the g looks funky and retro IMO
danestaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 04:09 AM   #5
Andy Mcpandy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP5726, PP5524r
Icon14

Picked up my 5524r in July and absolutely love it. I think it is one of those watches that you need to see in the flesh before you can really appreciate it. My only negative comment is that I think it would suit a wider darker colour strap. Dial clarity and colour are amazing. It's great to have a rose gold PP option.

I have ss 5726 and 5712 so do appreciate my PPs. However, as always it's in the eye of the be-holder.

One thing that isn't in doubt is that there seems little love for this watch so I am keen to hear other views on this thread.
Andy Mcpandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 04:29 AM   #6
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richris1 View Post
Gotcha. I’m looking at so many references, but this one and the 5170j really caught my eye
Haven't seen it in person yet but I prefer the WG model. I like the 5170J; an under appreciated piece.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 04:39 AM   #7
tyler1980
"TRF" Member

5524R any love? Any thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mcpandy View Post

One thing that isn't in doubt is that there seems little love for this watch so I am keen to hear other views on this thread.
get use to it. The G has plenty of haters. Its a badge of honor for 5524 owners

current collection: Patek 5164A, Patek 5524G, Rolex Platinum Daytona 116506, Rolex Sea Dweller 43 126600, Rolex GMT II 116710LN, AP 15400ST (silver), Panerai 913, Omega Speedmaster moonwatch, Tudor Black Bay (Harrods Edition)
tyler1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 04:42 AM   #8
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Richard... You seem to be all over the board and that is Ok because all of us watch nuts are the same. Have you considered possibly a 5711R? I know you said the watches on strap have not stuck.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 06:06 AM   #9
iazrollie
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Mcpandy View Post
Picked up my 5524r in July and absolutely love it. I think it is one of those watches that you need to see in the flesh before you can really appreciate it. My only negative comment is that I think it would suit a wider darker colour strap. Dial clarity and colour are amazing. It's great to have a rose gold PP option.

I have ss 5726 and 5712 so do appreciate my PPs. However, as always it's in the eye of the be-holder.

You can swap it for a black strap. PP has one that fits that case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17 October 2018, 06:50 AM   #10
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
Richard... You seem to be all over the board and that is Ok because all of us watch nuts are the same. Have you considered possibly a 5711R? I know you said the watches on strap have not stuck.
Boy...how right you are.
A few things have changed since I retired a few months ago, so the collection is changing a bit as well.
I believe at this point...Leather strap will fit in nicely with new lifestyle for sure.
I think with my Rolex collection, the best fit, as far as a leather strap watch goes, is a Patek.
So I’ve gone back and forth between SS and PM, WG and RG.. and I am sticking with PM.
Since I don’t have any RG currently, that became my focus.
Lifestyle and attire is the biggest thing coming into play, now that I’ve retired. Very casual all the time(jeans, loafers, polos, etc...) still active, but never dress up.
I love the classic Patek cases, dials, etc...but I think the look of the 5524 fits my lifestyle best, and I don’t mind a bold watch, as long as it’s classic/classy, not something too big or outlandish....YG Yachtmaster comes to mind (although a beautiful watch)
Just enjoying this hobby/journey
Old 17 October 2018, 07:43 AM   #11
R!$
Banned

I like it
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 08:13 AM   #12
fskywalker
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Is Ticking !
Nice looking watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zenith 02.480.405
Henry Archer Eclipse

2FA security enabled
fskywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 08:43 AM   #13
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
Quote:
Boy...how right you are.
A few things have changed since I retired a few months ago, so the collection is changing a bit as well.
I believe at this point...Leather strap will fit in nicely with new lifestyle for sure.
I think with my Rolex collection, the best fit, as far as a leather strap watch goes, is a Patek.
So I’ve gone back and forth between SS and PM, WG and RG.. and I am sticking with PM.
Since I don’t have any RG currently, that became my focus.
Lifestyle and attire is the biggest thing coming into play, now that I’ve retired. Very casual all the time(jeans, loafers, polos, etc...) still active, but never dress up.
I love the classic Patek cases, dials, etc...but I think the look of the 5524 fits my lifestyle best, and I don’t mind a bold watch, as long as it’s classic/classy, not something too big or outlandish....YG Yachtmaster comes to mind (although a beautiful watch)
Just enjoying this hobby/journey
Congrats on the retirement and enjoy the ride! I personally wish they made the 5524G in 37.5mm like the RG version that Patek dubbed a ladies watch

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 09:48 AM   #14
Jimmy3993
"TRF" Member

I rally like the R but have been an able to see one in person. Pulled the trigger on a 5524g today. Should be wearing it this time tomorrow. Pretty excited.
Jimmy3993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 09:59 AM   #15
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy3993 View Post
I rally like the R but have been an able to see one in person. Pulled the trigger on a 5524g today. Should be wearing it this time tomorrow. Pretty excited.
Outstanding! congratulations!
Old 17 October 2018, 11:58 AM   #16
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Baller watch, wish I could afford it! :9
Old 17 October 2018, 11:59 AM   #17
kzou
"TRF" Member

Also picked up mine a few months back. Tbh I haven't been wearing it that much but did take it on a couple of trips overseas. I do like it a lot. I kinda like how the colors make it feel a bit warmer compared to the G. In terms of people liking the 5524 or not in general, I think that's kinda the point in a way. Watches like 5711 which everyone loves is great, but sometimes there's charm in things that just different.

Also heard lots of comments from friends not so into watches surprised to see me wear a Zenith. Lol. I do find that kinda charming in many ways when they realise what it is.

The only issue I have with the 5524 is the movement is really not made for it. Not liking the extra plate at the back one bit.
kzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 11:59 AM   #18
thomaspp
"TRF" Member

The G is far better looking to me personally. Have seen the R on the listings for a long time seemingly and no sale...

Old 17 October 2018, 12:48 PM   #19
Vipes
"TRF" Member

Look at the 5960r. Gorgeous watch with RG case and black dial.
Vipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 October 2018, 12:51 PM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I think it looks cool. If you want RG by all means go for it. Don’t be expecting SS like resale though if you change course. Otherwise I’m sure it would look good on your wrist.
Old 17 October 2018, 01:03 PM   #21
rmlovett1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzou View Post
Also picked up mine a few months back. Tbh I haven't been wearing it that much but did take it on a couple of trips overseas. I do like it a lot. I kinda like how the colors make it feel a bit warmer compared to the G. In terms of people liking the 5524 or not in general, I think that's kinda the point in a way. Watches like 5711 which everyone loves is great, but sometimes there's charm in things that just different.

Also heard lots of comments from friends not so into watches surprised to see me wear a Zenith. Lol. I do find that kinda charming in many ways when they realise what it is.

The only issue I have with the 5524 is the movement is really not made for it. Not liking the extra plate at the back one bit.
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomaspp View Post
The G is far better looking to me personally. Have seen the R on the listings for a long time seemingly and no sale...

From the pics I’ve seen, and others whom I’ve talked to, the RG on this reference appears very light. I saw an incoming thread from a little while ago, the pics certainly backed those claims. If that is the case, and the case and overall look is just more ...elegant and warmer (same thing I’ve read on the initial reviews) I’m very excited for this. As I love the concept, and making it a little more elegant/warmer...makes it more in the original DNA Patek is known for. The G is great, the only thing I wasn’t keen on was, the dial was very dark, except in the bright sunshine. Appears black 95% of the time. Rose gold or a lighter facsimile of that, against the chocolate sunburst dial, will please me immensely. Will report back findings tomorrow.
Old 18 October 2018, 02:48 AM   #22
Gurbaz
"TRF" Member

I did own it for a few days at the very beginning of delivery. I did sell it very fast because I do love the G much more (still in the collection).
Personally, I do like the pictures better than in the flesh.
As far as I understand, the market is pretty light on that model.

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Gurbaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 12:49 AM   #23
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Bumping this thread to offer up my 2 cents. Met a gentleman last night at a clothing store here in Century City who was wearing a 5524R. The watch looks absolutely fantastic in the metal. I can't believe what a nice color Patek RG is. This watch never sang to me in forum pictures but boy does it look nice in real life. Might have to get one for myself now!!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 12:57 AM   #24
martinr
"TRF" Member

IMG_9720.jpg
IMG_9654.jpg

martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 12:59 AM   #25
martinr
"TRF" Member

IMG_9662.jpg

martinr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 06:54 AM   #26
ct.matt
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinr View Post
Attachment 1067477
Attachment 1067476

Quote:
Attachment 1067478

Damn you guys are basically telling an alcoholic to try this new liquor he hasn't had before and how good it is
What a stunning watch, will see if the salon in Beverly Hills has one to try on
ct.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 06:56 AM   #27
pam66
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Attachment 1067478

i liked my G and also like the R but 42mm was just too big for me, 37 too small:::(((
pam66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 06:57 AM   #28
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I love the look of that particular Patek.

Quote:
Wondering what the thoughts are on this reference? Any love?.....why or why not? What’s the market saying on this one?

locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 07:40 AM   #29
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam66 View Post
i liked my G and also like the R but 42mm was just too big for me, 37 too small:::(((

when i like something even if not the idea size I still ended up with one as it is awesome... Who really determines how big or small a watch is to fit..?

IMG_3312.JPG
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 September 2019, 07:41 AM   #30
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct.matt View Post
Damn you guys are basically telling an alcoholic to try this new liquor he hasn't had before and how good it is
What a stunning watch, will see if the salon in Beverly Hills has one to try on
hah great way to look at it :) I want the rose gold one too and size is perfect from 30-60 for me :)
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote