The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watches (Non-Rolex) Forum

Old 26 November 2021, 01:52 AM   #1
KrakenCali
"TRF" Member

Help...first timer - JLC vs Tudor vs Rolex (wait...)

Need help! I'm looking for a nice watch for the first time in my life. I previously wore digital fitness watches 24/7, but I'm less active now and my current watch is on its last legs. I would like to find a watch that I can wear more frequently than special occasions. My workplace is business casual.

I naively expected to be able to walk into a Rolex AD to purchase a Submariner date or Milgauss Z blue. I had a nice chat with the dude and left my information but it's been a couple of months and haven't heard back.

Not looking to build a watch collection, so initially I planned to wait and see, but after reading more about the Rolex waits, now I'm torn between waiting for my top choice (Rolex sports watch), or going with a sporty accessible alternative like a Tudor Black Bay GMT with the red and blue bezel or a sleek JLC master ultra thin moon. I really like the previous Rolex Explorer II models, but I don't know much about watches so I'm hesitant to buy used, especially when they can be 10-20 years old.

The JLC Moon has a dressier feel so I could conceivably still buy a sport Rolex if they become available. My main concern with JLC is the brand. Unlike Rolex, JLC is sold through a wider network, including mass retailers like Saks. Even though Tudor is a less expensive brand than Rolex, they appear to sell through the same AD network as Rolex.

Repair costs are a concern as well. Are any of the options more or less expensive than the others?

Thankful for any thoughts and opinions.
KrakenCali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 03:29 AM   #2
rlj676
"TRF" Member

JLC is sold at department stores? I’ve never seen or heard this. They are a much more limited and boutique watch brand compared to Rolex.

I’d recommend getting it first if you’re getting it anyways, but should do so at a dealer w Rolex as well. This will help your chances of getting a Rolex sooner.

Your choices would make a very cool collection in my opinion.
rlj676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 05:25 AM   #3
p_mcgee
"TRF" Member

If you want to buy new, I would go with the Tudor. JLC is nice but for me dressy watches are not really an everyday option.
p_mcgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2021, 03:22 PM   #4
Nathan_
"TRF" Member

if you have no prior purchase history at the rolex AD, the chances of you getting a sub are 1000/1. the Tudor is a great daily watch and can take a beating, where the JLC would be better suited as a second watch, worn occasionally to dinner etc.

Another option if you have not already visited is Omega.
Nathan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 12:28 AM   #5
GST15
"TRF" Member

Watch: CHNR/YM/DJ/OP/SUB
If your heart was set on a Rolex, you should wait and get the Rolex of your choice. Buying anything else will most likely leave you unsatisfied. Just my opinion
GST15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 05:08 AM   #6
stockjock1975
"TRF" Member

Watch: Platona
Another good brand to consider would be Cartier. They are a really excellent Manufacturer with historical horology significance going back a century. Plus, they have some terrific models that can be that ‘one watch’ you’re looking for.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stockjock1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2021, 01:59 PM   #7
Justindo
"TRF" Member

I don't know this as a fact but I can't imagine that JLC has more dealers than Rolex. Regardless, JLC makes far nicer, albeit more fragile, watches than Rolex.

However, if you're coming from the digital sports watch world, I'd recommend a Tudor, although I don't think they've fixed the GMT date issue yet. With a Tudor, you could always add a dressy JLC and a Rolex in the future.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2021, 06:35 AM   #8
Bmats
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I wouldn’t let the Saks thing turn you off on JLC. Saks website also lists VC and Piaget - including an awesome skeleton one - on their website.
Bmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 01:23 PM   #9
KrakenCali
"TRF" Member

Thank you for the feedback!

I am going to wait for the Rolex and see how it goes. I understand the Sub date is a tough get, but the salesperson seemed to think the Milgauss was more attainable.

I don't want to buy a Tudor only to want a Rolex. The JLC is beautiful, but it feels like a second watch I can wait on. The used market for the Ultra Thin Moon appears soft, so maybe I can also consider that as another option.
Old 29 November 2021, 01:35 PM   #10
KrakenCali
"TRF" Member

I only just noticed the message from StockJock about Cartier. You are right, some beautiful watches at surprising prices. Very interesting. Seems like they could set higher prices...any particular reason they're priced that way?
Old 29 November 2021, 03:54 PM   #11
Neom
Banned

Go JLC, better than Rolex as far as horological significance and prowess goes. Rolex is unbeatable when it comes to brand prestige and ruggedness though, they are built like tanks, but so are many more watches too. Do you really need a watch that has to withstand all sorts of abuse?
Neom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2021, 03:55 PM   #12
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Buy the Sub through a trusted seller
Old 16 December 2021, 02:45 AM   #13
Racecar001
"TRF" Member

If you want a steel band like a Rolex and the quality of a JLC I'd look at the JLC Polaris line
Racecar001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 December 2021, 03:01 AM   #14
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

If you want a sub, you are going to spend thousands flipping between watches that are not a sub and may end up disappointed. Sounds like either waiting and seeing what happens or bitting the bullet and buying one grey is a better option.

But, it doesn't sounds like you are 100% on what watch you want. you might just want a watch. Milgauss might be an easier option, especially with grey prices. The Tudor GMT is great, but its on the larger side and fairly hefty if thats a concern.

Service prices are what they are. Tudor is going to be much less than Rolex but its still going to be something like $400. They are like little cars on your wrist, they can at times be pricey to fix. The Rolex service is now at $800 or so. The good news, the service intervals are at 10 years. So you likely will have 3-4 services in the time you own the watch, really its pretty reasonable.
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 December 2021, 12:47 AM   #15
Oxfordian
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124060 Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecar001 View Post
If you want a steel band like a Rolex and the quality of a JLC I'd look at the JLC Polaris line
This

Small Rolex, Omega, Seiko and Oris Collection
Oxfordian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2021, 07:05 PM   #16
amphr1
2024 Pledge Member

The answer is 42, I mean Omega.

I know you said you are not building a watch collection, but you can NEVER go wrong with an OMEGA speedmaster professional, especially the moonwatch.
amphr1 is offline   Reply With Quote