The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 March 2018, 10:10 PM   #1
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Strange forum posting issue?

I have been having this issue for the last week.

Two different PC's, three different browsers, two different ISP's.

When I begin to type a message, the text will stop and the cursor will freeze. Then it resumes.

Strangely it is not happening with this message and it is not the emojis.

Anyone else?
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 10:12 PM   #2
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Yep. I get it too sometimes.

Had it on other forums using the same platform too, so I suspect it’s a platform issue

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 10:15 PM   #3
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
On more than one occasion I get "no new posts" message even though I haven't checked in since the day before. Other times I don't, makes no sense.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 10:32 PM   #4
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
Yep. I get it too sometimes.

Had it on other forums using the same platform too, so I suspect it’s a platform issue

Cheers

Thanks glad to see it is not on my side
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
Old 8 March 2018, 10:37 PM   #5
Enicarman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I have been having this issue for the last week.

Two different PC's, three different browsers, two different ISP's.

When I begin to type a message, the text will stop and the cursor will freeze. Then it resumes.

Strangely it is not happening with this message and it is not the emojis.

Anyone else?
Same with me.
Enicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 March 2018, 10:39 PM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Never happened to me, but then again the cold weather kills most viruses
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2018, 12:07 PM   #7
Lol-x
Facilitator

Never happened to me in tens of thousands of posts from different computers...

Did you leave your browser open and logged in one one machine or come back to a machine where you were not logged into?

That is my only guess because unless I see all your computer settings it difficult to identify.

It sounds like it may be a computer memory issue or a browser issue. I can say its definitely not forum software as the issue.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2018, 02:21 PM   #8
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x

It sounds like it may be a computer memory issue or a browser issue. I can say its definitely not forum software as the issue.

Memory wouldn’t be an i/o issue as OP described IMHO.

But oversubscribed CPU real-time is a suspect for random freeze ups (perhaps due to TSR apps, background app updates, background virus scans and all sorts of cross-scripting/spyware/cookie trackers)

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 March 2018, 02:44 PM   #9
Lol-x
Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Memory wouldn’t be an i/o issue as OP described IMHO.

But oversubscribed CPU real-time is a suspect for random freeze ups (perhaps due to TSR apps, background app updates, background virus scans and all sorts of cross-scripting/spyware/cookie trackers)
Yes, I would tend to agree with you
Many things are happening on individual members personal computers that can interfere with the normal operation of the forums software.

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln

Old 10 March 2018, 12:40 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Never happened to me in tens of thousands of posts from different computers...

Did you leave your browser open and logged in one one machine or come back to a machine where you were not logged into?

That is my only guess because unless I see all your computer settings it difficult to identify.

My work laptop is a toy, I can understand on that machine.

My home pc is a beast and not an issue.

Thanks for checking!
Old 10 March 2018, 12:42 AM   #11
MonBK
Banned

I also have a few posts under my belt and never had it happen.
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2018, 01:50 PM   #12
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Yes, this is happening to me as well. I am using a Macbook running OSX Sierra and chrome browser. This doesn't happen when I am posting to other forums. It shouldn't be a memory issue as I restarted my laptop and only run chrome and still the same problem.

Any solutions?
Old 11 March 2018, 06:19 PM   #13
Lol-x
Facilitator

Please follow the steps below to see if they resolve your issue:
Does this issue occur in Incognito Mode? To turn in on, press Ctrl+Shift+N and see if you get this issue.
If you don't have this issue even when using Incognito Mode, it mostly is caused by one of your extensions. To disable an extension, go to chrome://extensions and disable them to see if it solves your issue.
Try removing unwanted/suspicious programs from your computer and run a malware scan using Malwarebytes to see if anything comes up.
Try resetting your browser settings to see if it helps. To do so, check here - Reset Browser Settings.
If that too doesn't work, try creating a new browser profile as given here - Create a new browser profile.
Try disabling Hardware Acceleration by going to chrome://settings > Show Advanced Settings and uncheck Use Hardware Acceleration when available to see if it helps.
Try disabling Network Predictions by going to chrome://settings > Show Advanced Settings and uncheck Predict network actions to improve page load performance to see if it helps.

Old 11 March 2018, 06:22 PM   #14
Lol-x
Facilitator

Most likely the reason is:
A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.

Old 12 March 2018, 10:05 PM   #15
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Most likely the reason is:
A PUP (potentially unwanted program) is a program that may be unwanted, despite the possibility that users consented to download it. PUPs include spyware, adware, and dialers, and are often downloaded in conjunction with a program that the user wants.
Thank you for the help.

I have limited ability to do anything to my work PC although there are no PUP's etc on my work machine.

It may be some network latency issues that I cannot control.
Old 12 March 2018, 11:03 PM   #16
77T
2024 Pledge Member

Strange forum posting issue?

Steve gave some good pointers if you are experiencing the symptoms the OP described.

When you notice this is happening - especially across many different devices or networks it could be that you have “become the product”. As in aggressive ad-trackers, spyware, keyloggers or malware chewing up CPU or network resources while they operate in the background.

Some keyloggers may be revealed by opening the Windows Task Manager (or Mac’s System Info) and look at which open processes are using the most real-time. More advanced keystroke logging will be concealed from simple inspection because they hide under a legit utility like disk management. They operate a lot like malware (and malware can be doing other things as well separately).

Running an anti-malware utility designed specifically to detect Trojans, spyware and keylogger programs is a good step because these are not always picked up by standard anti-virus software.

Many are free - here are some reviews to consider. https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...lware-software

Old 13 March 2018, 12:57 AM   #17
stlwx21
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR & 79220N
Been getting this for the last week on tapatalk. Any ideas?

stlwx21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 March 2018, 12:20 PM   #18
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Steve gave some good pointers if you are experiencing the symptoms the OP described.

When you notice this is happening - especially across many different devices or networks it could be that you have “become the product”. As in aggressive ad-trackers, spyware, keyloggers or malware chewing up CPU or network resources while they operate in the background.

Some keyloggers may be revealed by opening the Windows Task Manager (or Mac’s System Info) and look at which open processes are using the most real-time. More advanced keystroke logging will be concealed from simple inspection because they hide under a legit utility like disk management. They operate a lot like malware (and malware can be doing other things as well separately).

Running an anti-malware utility designed specifically to detect Trojans, spyware and keylogger programs is a good step because these are not always picked up by standard anti-virus software.

Many are free - here are some reviews to consider. https://www.techradar.com/news/best-...lware-software

Thanks. I am experiencing the same problem on both my iMac and Macbook. Strangely, this problem doesn't happen when I am on other forums. I will give it a try anyway. Which anti-malware for Mac will you recommend?
Old 17 March 2018, 12:27 PM   #19
77T
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t recommend products myself only because each person’s needs are different based upon their internet use.

A host of companies offer different levels at different price points. Mobile Devices as well as Laptops/PCs need to be considered as well.