The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 18 March 2018, 05:03 PM   #61
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
He has NZ Citizenship, therefore he is a Kiwi. Not that it is a big issue.
He is a successful actor regardless of whether you like him or not.
Pick a celebrity, someone has a story about him and how he was mean to fans. Who cares.
Is he a WIS? Anyone with that many watches clearly has some deeper interest and feeling for them. It could have been coffee cups or cuff links.
Would I pay more for a watch just because a celebrity owned it? Only if they were one of my special idols (like Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull)

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 07:39 PM   #62
Mainspring13
"TRF" Member

"met" him one night outside a bar. he is also a musician. plays guitar.
anyway, I guess he did a guest spot for a band that night.
I was outside waiting to get in to see the next band on.
it was a rainy day. I was sitting on a bench, first in line. I had a hoodie on and was on my phone. I guess he popped out and stood next to me while waiting for his ride.

another fan that came to see the show I was going to shouted all of a sudden, "you are Russell Crowe!"................ I hear a deep voice that says, "yes".

I look up and there is was... gave him a nod, he gave me a nod, then I put my head down and continued to be on my phone.

soon after previous crowd was in the bar started to come out and just mobbed him.
kinda felt sorry for the guy. all he wanted was to go home. he looked tired as hell.

Anyway, didn't realize he was a watch guy. would have noted what he wore.

his collection is not to my taste but good collection still with interesting history behind them all.

hope his divorce isn't too nasty. I'm guessing the reason for selling off some of his things.
Mainspring13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 07:54 PM   #63
Rolex time is money
"TRF" Member

Which auction house will be doing this?

First serial "V" 116610V Hulk
Rolex time is money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 07:55 PM   #64
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex time is money View Post
Which auction house will be doing this?

Page 1 post #1

https://youtu.be/xc2G6GaG-4I
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 08:09 PM   #65
BLNR Nairobi
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them.
That was a sad and hard video to watch. Divorces are tough
BLNR Nairobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 March 2018, 08:54 PM   #66
jimcameron
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16800
I've greatly enjoyed many of his movies.

Sounds like he would get bored in an airport and go buy a $25000 watch if he got the urge. Nice lifestyle.

When I get bored in an airport I buy a newspaper.
jimcameron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 04:08 AM   #67
superstarmar
Banned

Watch: my wrist presence
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post

Sounds like he would get bored in an airport and go buy a $25000 watch if he got the urge. Nice lifestyle.

superstarmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 04:27 AM   #68
frankoman
Banned

Watch: 1968 1675
Quote:
Originally Posted by busytimmy View Post
Pro tip: speed up the vid to 1.5x speed. RC speaks incredibly slow.
true !

frankoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 04:34 AM   #69
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcameron View Post

This.

A singularly uninspiring bunch of watches.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 09:42 AM   #70
nGage7962
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ41 TT Champagne
Don’t know him personally, but I have enjoyed some of his work and others not so much. Chuckled the first time I read about his “Art of Divorce” auction.

DSSD
DJ 41 TT/Champagne
Tudor GMT
nGage7962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 09:45 AM   #71
metdrdg
"TRF" Member

Watch: SSDayt, 5711, 5170
My guess is he’s unloading these hoping to make a profit based on his name and he doesn’t wear them at all anymore because he’s probably moved on to patek/vc/ap etc.
metdrdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 11:20 AM   #72
cht
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV
first time I noticed the yatchmaster's SEL's don't fit the case until this video...like the ceramic 40mm seadwellers...

I think you can see RC in the reflection of the crystals wearing glasses sometime.
cht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 11:43 AM   #73
maylebox
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by busytimmy View Post
Pro tip: speed up the vid to 1.5x speed. RC speaks incredibly slow.

Thanks, I didn't even know that was an option.

Interesting to know he's a watch guy even if we don't share the exact same taste.

I do enjoy his work on screen though (The Nice Guys, Gladiator, A Beautiful Mind, and The Insider come to mind)

As far as being a jerk I've never met him. I suppose some of the stories of him being rude at times may be true. Then again I suspect many fans think they're entitled to bother you at dinner, at the pub, or with your kids in the park because they paid to see your movie.
maylebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2018, 11:55 AM   #74
Jack Jumpin
"TRF" Member

Thats one load of rubbish you can buy when money is no issue.

Reminds me of a certain Mr. Jackson's spending habits.
Jack Jumpin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 06:37 AM   #75
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
A singularly uninspiring bunch of watches.
I kinda admire him because his collection is rather diverse. He just buys what he likes, he isn't looking for ''what should I get for 10k and gives me the most bang for buck''.

Most people don't have that luxury, he doesn't care or is trying to make a statement. Look at guys like Ed Sheeran, Kevin Hart, John Mayer. They all have amazing collections with the latest and hottest RM's/Rolex (old and new)/AP/Patek but that's just throwing money at it, especially when you look at Kevin Hart. Anything expensive with gold or diamonds is his. Swipe the card and done.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 09:43 AM   #76
RolexNorth
Banned

Watch: YM2SS,SD43,HULK
Major womanizer which is fine if you're not married and not impacting other's with your issues.

He was filming The Cinderella Man all over Downtown Toronto back in 2005. Apparently, he had problems staying faithful to his wife as early as 2 years into their marriage at that time. He was picked up by the police for threatening hotel staff where he was staying. There was a problem with the phones in the hotel one of the nights and he verbally abused and threatened hotel staff about it. Police got involved and he let them know that because of his philandering ways, his wife had him on a very strict curfew where he was expected to call her every few hours to give her his whereabouts so she could keep tabs on him that he wasn't sleeping around.

He admitted as much when a few weeks later he was on some Hollywood talkshow and was asked the same question. He mentioned his marriage was hanging by a thread at that point and if he didn't make the phone call, it could have cost him his marriage.

I recall he was fooling around with Meg Ryan during filming of Proof of Life which ended her marriage to Dennis Quaid.
RolexNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 05:27 PM   #77
MonBK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post
Major womanizer which is fine if you're not married and not impacting other's with your issues.

He was filming The Cinderella Man all over Downtown Toronto back in 2005. Apparently, he had problems staying faithful to his wife as early as 2 years into their marriage at that time. He was picked up by the police for threatening hotel staff where he was staying. There was a problem with the phones in the hotel one of the nights and he verbally abused and threatened hotel staff about it. Police got involved and he let them know that because of his philandering ways, his wife had him on a very strict curfew where he was expected to call her every few hours to give her his whereabouts so she could keep tabs on him that he wasn't sleeping around.

He admitted as much when a few weeks later he was on some Hollywood talkshow and was asked the same question. He mentioned his marriage was hanging by a thread at that point and if he didn't make the phone call, it could have cost him his marriage.

I recall he was fooling around with Meg Ryan during filming of Proof of Life which ended her marriage to Dennis Quaid.
National Enquirer thank you for this excellent report.
Old 20 March 2018, 07:41 PM   #78
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonBK View Post
National Enquirer thank you for this excellent report.

The truth, is the first victim in many divorces.

Hearsay, gossip, 'Chinese whispers' and Fake News, click bait ammo all.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 08:09 PM   #79
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cht View Post
first time I noticed the yatchmaster's SEL's don't fit the case until this video...like the ceramic 40mm seadwellers...

I think you can see RC in the reflection of the crystals wearing glasses sometime.
true with the 16622, then corrected with the 116622 in 2013 where SELs are flush with the lugs (on top of other changes like oysterlock clasp, easylink, blue parachrom hairspring, blue chromalight, finer sandblasted grain on dial, different lug profile, bracelet solid links all over not just end links).
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2018, 08:24 PM   #80
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexNorth View Post

That explains lot 211 and 215.

'This necklace was given to me by Meg Ryan in 2000. It is a commissioned one of a kind piece by the designer Jeanine Payer. Meg knew I liked the poetry of Banjo Patterson and she had a verse from Clancy of the Overflow engraved on it. I had this in my pocket when I won the Academy Award in 2001.' Russell Crowe
https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/list/AU0822/211

'This watch was a gift from Meg Ryan. I don't know who the initials RJM refer to.' Russell Crowe
https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/list/AU0822/215
Attached Images
File Type: png 211_1.png (40.5 KB, 154 views)
File Type: png 215_1.png (99.4 KB, 157 views)
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:42 AM   #81
GBD
"TRF" Member

Master and Commander is the greatest movie not to be made into a franchise. They coulda made ten more, though. Such a fantastic movie.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
GBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:46 AM   #82
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBD View Post
Master and Commander is the greatest movie not to be made into a franchise. They coulda made ten more, though. Such a fantastic movie.
I love it too. The battle scenes really give my subwoofer a workout. I was always sorry they didn't make more, but that makes the one they did make quite special.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 03:58 AM   #83
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=GBD;8390740]Master and Commander is the greatest movie not to be made into a franchise. They coulda made ten more, though. Such a fantastic movie.

You're leaning against an open door, with me on that my friend.
Superb movie. Drama, humour & fantastic photography etc, etc.
The potential of the storyline, leaving it as you say, wide open for a sequel or two.
An ex-navy (him not me) mate of mine
watches it at least once a month, that's a bit OTT though!

"To the Ladies and Mistresses,.....may they never meet!"
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 04:18 AM   #84
Esoteric
"TRF" Member

Great actor and not a jerk at all (although I can see where you could easily think that based on some of his TV interviews.). He was in Dublin a few months ago and went to the same pub every night and drank, chatted and interacted casually with all the locals. No ego or BS with him at all.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2018, 04:39 AM   #85
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLeChic View Post
That explains lot 211 and 215.

'This necklace was given to me by Meg Ryan in 2000. It is a commissioned one of a kind piece by the designer Jeanine Payer. Meg knew I liked the poetry of Banjo Patterson and she had a verse from Clancy of the Overflow engraved on it. I had this in my pocket when I won the Academy Award in 2001.' Russell Crowe
https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/list/AU0822/211

'This watch was a gift from Meg Ryan. I don't know who the initials RJM refer to.' Russell Crowe
https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/list/AU0822/215
I wonder how much that Omega will go for. 5-10k just because it was his?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 02:18 AM   #86
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
I wonder how much that Omega will go for. 5-10k just because it was his?
More than you can ever imagine.That humble pedestrian Speedmaster also worn in the movie "The Insider" was the biggest surprise at the auction and here's results of some of the other watches that were sold

https://timeandtidewatches.com/news-...e-speedmaster/
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 02:21 AM   #87
MonBK
Banned

I thought the biggest surprise was the used pair of underwear that sold for $12,200.
Old 10 April 2018, 03:22 AM   #88
drmizzou
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector!
wow, those prices are crazy - obviously its movie memorabilia and i dont really see the buyers wearing out those pieces and rather having them presented as art. interesting results though.
Pepsi GMT 126710BLRO
White DaytonaC 116500
Omega Seamaster 50th Anniv Bond OHMSS
Omega Seamaster Bond titanium
drmizzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 April 2018, 03:23 AM   #89
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
I thought the biggest surprise was the used pair of underwear that sold for $12,200.
No surprise at all. Cloning material, you know.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2018, 02:54 AM   #90
meganfox17
Banned

Quote:
https://www.cnn.com/videos/cnnmoney/...n-orig-cws.cnn
meganfox17 is offline   Reply With Quote