The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 30 July 2015, 12:49 PM   #31
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
I have this Navitimer Olympus:

in addition to 4 Rolexes and a bunch of other brands. The Breitling (which I've had for 8-9 years) just went in for a major service. The Rolexes, the newest of which is about 10-12 years old, have never needed a service. They all keep excellent time. I would therefore have to give the nod to Rolex as being the better (more reliable) watch.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2015, 08:48 AM   #32
vintage navitimer
"TRF" Member

Watch: hard to pick one
oops, forgot to mention clarity of the crystals in both . . . advantage Breitling.
vintage navitimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 August 2015, 09:14 AM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage navitimer View Post
oops, forgot to mention clarity of the crystals in both . . . advantage Breitling.
Yeah when I see them side by side I do wish Rolex would AR their models.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2015, 01:11 AM   #34
jjnd08
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I have this Navitimer Olympus:

in addition to 4 Rolexes and a bunch of other brands. The Breitling (which I've had for 8-9 years) just went in for a major service. The Rolexes, the newest of which is about 10-12 years old, have never needed a service. They all keep excellent time. I would therefore have to give the nod to Rolex as being the better (more reliable) watch.
While I would definitely give the nod to Rolex in all aspects, one thing to consider in your instance is that this Breitling probably has more complications than any of your Rolex watches. Gives a higher chance for something to go wrong.
Old 5 August 2015, 01:24 PM   #35
dr.ahmeduddin
"TRF" Member

Watch: ss Daytona
The quality of the Chronomat 44 GMT vs the quality of the Explorer II has to weigh in favor of the Chronomat! Their is more play in the hands of the Explorer II when changing the date through the use of the hour hand! As far as accuracy of the time I would give the Rolex Explorer the edge!
dr.ahmeduddin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2015, 06:00 PM   #36
chevybm
"TRF" Member

I got a few Rolexes and a about a year old Navitimer World, I love it the dial is just stunning to look at and the alligator bracelet is of an superb quality, however I think that it gets scratches more easier than a Rolex. I don't know what kind of steel Breitling uses and when the whole watch case is polished it gets scratched more. But it is an amazing watch! Would like to have a vintage Navitimer 806 too.
chevybm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 August 2015, 05:50 AM   #37
sapingo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Ulysse Nardin
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakebomb View Post

I've owned my bentley 8 years now and recently got the sub c. Quality of both is fantastic. The white dial in the bentley is spectacular! Aside from the hit you take when you sell, Breitling makes fantastic watches.
got me a Brietling yesterday! im impressed!
sapingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 05:49 AM   #38
mitchellb2005
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16622
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I own both brands and I would have to say ETA movements aside, the bracelets and dials are better on Breitling. The models I have are all at least 3-4 years old. I cannot speak to the newer models.

The definite thing is that Rolex has been playing catch-up in the bracelet department in recent years. But they have caught up.
I agree with this.

but for watches using precious metals, I think Rolex is the way to go.
mitchellb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 07:44 AM   #39
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnd08 View Post
While I would definitely give the nod to Rolex in all aspects, one thing to consider in your instance is that this Breitling probably has more complications than any of your Rolex watches. Gives a higher chance for something to go wrong.

While I agree that the Olympus does have more complications, each of my Rolexes has at least one complication. They have never needed a service (I've had each for between 12 and 15 years) and they keep excellent time.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 September 2015, 08:13 AM   #40
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
I have owned Rolexes since 1974 and find them the most reliable and durable watch on the market. That said, they have become over-priced IMO.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 03:58 AM   #41
vukotab
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing movies!
Well...Rolex will always be "number one" in my book, because its amazing heritage (not that Breitling is short in that department, just the opposite) and its timeless design. And I really appreciate the in-house made movements.

But what about sheer quality?

Let's put it this way - cases, bracelets, fit and overall finish are absolutely on the same level. Breitling sapphire crystals are double AR coated, which is great thing to have. Rolex have the BIG edge when it comes to the movements, although all Breitling ETA's are COSC certified.

Again, I'm 100% Rolex guy, but really - Rolex, Omega, Breitling...are all producing high quality watches and if there are some advantages of one brand or another - they are not in the quality department.
For me, it all comes to personal taste and maybe the prestige factor.
While I sold my Explorer II, I currently own Tudor Prince Date (with Oyster case and jubilee bracelet, similar to Datejust) , Omega Seamaster and Breitling Superocean and the quality of all three is amazing, while ETA 2824 in Breitling is superior when it comes to accuracy - a fantastic +1 second per day!
vukotab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 04:11 AM   #42
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Rolex or Breitling (quality)

My Breitling Chonomat GMT 47mm Limited Edition. The complications are very impressive. It has an in house B04 movement and in 2 weeks it's gained just 1 second. It's a chronograph, has a date, a GMT function with bi-directional bezel and a sapphire case back. it's brushed so not in your face with bling and the quality and weight is outstanding.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (103.1 KB, 385 views)
GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2015, 05:13 AM   #43
steveclocks
"TRF" Member

Watch: rolex/JLC/panerai
I own 3 Breitlings and 4 Rolexes, don't have any problems with both
steveclocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2015, 12:55 AM   #44
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many

The SuperOcean is 7 years old and is a fantastic value for the money, runs within COSC spec and is my go to watch for rugged activity, swimming, diving etc. I have a bracelet, canvas strap and rubber strap all from Breitling that work beautifully.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 September 2015, 05:25 AM   #45
Sal_UKSheffield
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
My Breitling Chonomat GMT 47mm Limited Edition. The complications are very impressive. It has an in house B04 movement and in 2 weeks it's gained just 1 second. It's a chronograph, has a date, a GMT function with bi-directional bezel and a sapphire case back. it's brushed so not in your face with bling and the quality and weight is outstanding.

Literally took me 2mins to find the date window lol

Nice watch tho
Sal_UKSheffield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 November 2015, 02:50 AM   #46
Watch Traders Eu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Jaeger Grande C
Breitling are nice but Rolex is more stable and trustable
Watch Traders Eu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 03:54 AM   #47
Robertus2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintage navitimer View Post
My two cents worth of opinion. Breitling has been making it's own movement for just a few short years (actually they bought a small movement company a number of years back and made it there own). Rolex has been making its own movement since . . . well, forever. Advantage Rolex. As for fit, finish, level of polishing work, absolute attention to detail . . . I think Breitling wins that aspect.

Oh, as for Panerai in house movements. Panerai is part of an ownership watch group that includes JLC (jaeger lecoultre) Plenty of history to JLC movements, that is essentially what you get in a Panerai with an "in house" movement. Top notch stuff!
Regarding to own chronograph movement Rolex has only about 9 years of advantage. They have the more modern escapement but suffer in the missing date feature, the more-than-100-m waterresistance, the better visibility day-and-night, the missing blue dial option (steel models) and the turning bezel. All in all, these points won when I've voted for the Chronomat 41 (blackeye-blue dial). Haven't regretted it. If some time the steel Daytona should have a day-date feature and a Yachtmaster-like bezel in the 40 mm case I'd surely be among the first buyers. But I do not think this will be made in my lifetime... So Breitling should have the day-date (or simple full calender) on their Chronomat 41... this contains more reality :) until that I'll go on wearing my Chronomat 41.
(I've had a few Rolex watches in the past as well - steel Sub, GMTII. and TT Sub blue dial - so nothing against nice Rolex watches of course.)
Robertus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 November 2015, 05:11 AM   #48
Galion
"TRF" Member

Breitling seems on par with Rolex in terms of fit, finish and overall quality, Rolex is on another level in terms of brand positioning, recognition and resale value.
I like them both!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6433.jpg (91.6 KB, 251 views)
Old 10 November 2015, 10:55 AM   #49
Muzz
"TRF" Member

Watch: MP 18946
I have had more Breitling fails (mechanical failures) than Rolex. In fact I have never had a movement fail on a Rolex just a case vs water integrity issue on a preceramic SD.

Also had a few design complaints about Breitling. I had an Olympus a few years back and it drove me crazy that the crown position was so low on the case that going into pockets would pull the crown out and stop the watch (they are not screw down on that model.). So I suppose it is a preference issue more than anything.

They offer some attractive watches without a doubt and I think a Navitimer still has a place in every collection but I still prefer Rolex for reliability reasons.
Muzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2015, 02:48 PM   #50
WJGESQ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchang81 View Post
I know a small sample size, but the two breitlings I have had required an abnormally large number of servicings, and same goes for my uncle who has had 4-5 breitlings. He still likes them despite that, but i'm only keeping one since it was a gift. I've written off the brand, especially the service dept. The one I got as a gift i've had for 15 years, been serviced 5 times.
What is causing the service requirements?
WJGESQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2015, 12:09 PM   #51
USALV
"TRF" Member

I'm wondering the same thing
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2015, 01:00 PM   #52
USALV
"TRF" Member

How good are. The galactic 32 or 36 automatic? Thank you
USALV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 02:05 AM   #53
Desibaba
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Pam90,SA2
Isnt comparing the quality of these watches similar to comparing Coke to Pepsi? I mean its almost so close you cant really tell the difference without bias. Of course Rolex has the upper hand when it comes to resale value and brand prestige.
Desibaba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2015, 11:30 AM   #54
DalePenkala
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT
Quote:
Originally Posted by vukotab View Post
Well...Rolex will always be "number one" in my book, because its amazing heritage (not that Breitling is short in that department, just the opposite) and its timeless design. And I really appreciate the in-house made movements.

But what about sheer quality?

Let's put it this way - cases, bracelets, fit and overall finish are absolutely on the same level. Breitling sapphire crystals are double AR coated, which is great thing to have. Rolex have the BIG edge when it comes to the movements, although all Breitling ETA's are COSC certified.

Again, I'm 100% Rolex guy, but really - Rolex, Omega, Breitling...are all producing high quality watches and if there are some advantages of one brand or another - they are not in the quality department.
For me, it all comes to personal taste and maybe the prestige factor.
While I sold my Explorer II, I currently own Tudor Prince Date (with Oyster case and jubilee bracelet, similar to Datejust) , Omega Seamaster and Breitling Superocean and the quality of all three is amazing, while ETA 2824 in Breitling is superior when it comes to accuracy - a fantastic +1 second per day!

I have to agree with pretty much everything. While I don't own a Rolex or Breitling watch yet I think a lot of it is personal taste! I have a Zenith and speedmaster along with my oris and I love them all! Then I have many other brands that are not the high end stuff. I really like the Breitling super ocean and in the Rolex I love the submariner. At some point I WILL have at least 1 of each Rolex and Breitling not to mention many others! I just LOVE watches!
Invicta Bolt Zeus, Invicta JT Limited Edition Excursion
DalePenkala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2015, 03:35 AM   #55
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
This is like asking who makes a better car, BMW or Mercedes? I think you could find differences between the two in different categories that would make it hard to determine which one is the "better watch brand"

That being said... When it comes to:

Movements I would give Rolex the win here. Yes Breitling now has some in-house movements, but they don't have the tenure that Rolex does.

Design - I would give them a tie. They make very different looking watches and this is very much a personal preference. If you like bigger watches - Breitling. If you like more traditional sized watches - Rolex

Resale - Rolex wins this category compared to any watch. They are the most liquid and retain value very well.

Service - I have not had enough personal experience with Breitling but I can say that a well maintained Rolex should last a lifetime with just regular services every 5-7 years.

All things considered - I personally would give Rolex the win
Old 2 December 2015, 02:24 PM   #56
Left wrist
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP PATEK PAM ROLEX
rolex
Left wrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2015, 05:15 PM   #57
MATCH1969
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmoore View Post
I currently have 3 Rolex 1 Tudor and this SOH. I give a slight edge to Rolex, however at 2.5 to 4 times the money for the models I bought rolex should have the edge.
That having been said the mesh bracelet on the SOH is super comfortable and there is definitely room in my rotation for the B
Cheers
Wayne
Very nice watch
MATCH1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 04:09 AM   #58
blnrrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLNR
I own both brands and they have different merits. The rolex is timeless and you really can't beat the resale on them. The Breitling just feels substantial, and the quality is certainly there. I love the applied logo on the dial as well. I wish Rolex would do something like that. As a professional pilot's watch you can't beat the Breitling.
blnrrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2015, 06:39 PM   #59
GolfPunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: WG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by blnrrolex View Post
I own both brands and they have different merits. The rolex is timeless and you really can't beat the resale on them. The Breitling just feels substantial, and the quality is certainly there. I love the applied logo on the dial as well. I wish Rolex would do something like that. As a professional pilot's watch you can't beat the Breitling.

The Daytona has an applied logo:

GolfPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2015, 02:22 AM   #60
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfPunk View Post
The Daytona has an applied logo:

Love the applied logo! Both on Rolex and Breitling the applied logo IMO looks so much better!
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote