The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 27 January 2024, 10:51 PM   #31
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_76 View Post
It’s not a chip. It’s a bit hard to photograph, but appears like a smudge. It’s not deep whatsoever.

Haha only if…
Its only on the case-back where no one can see it while wearing so why even worry about it, as when worn daily for many years will get a lot more. But all minuscule and wearing scratches easily rectified at normal RSC service .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2024, 11:01 PM   #32
Commander C.
"TRF" Member

I would think a scratch/smudge of that magnitude would require some effort other than just resting the watch on the bracelet. But such a result is not impossible, which is why I aways place a microfiber cloth between my bracelets and casebacks when I store my watches. (Not so when the watch is on a strap.) You'd think an AD would take similar precautions. Then again, swaddling your precious in protective fabrics seems a bit inconsistent with the concept of a "tool watch" -- not that many Rolexes count as tool watches anymore. Maybe ADs don't take these precautions because they don't want to create the impression that Rolexes are delicate instruments that must be handled with care. Still . . . .
Commander C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 12:35 AM   #33
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post
Bingo
I was curious. Though I don't have the same model as the OP, I have a few with bracelets. It does seem to line up with a portion of the bracelet edge and clasp.

Two of mine are 10+ years old and neither of them have that kind of mark. I have a few minor chips along the polished and brushed edge of the case back and I'm in the habit of setting them down with little regard to how they contact the case back.

Obviously, it got there somehow. I would think with the care the OP takes to avoid scratches; that one he would have remembered, if he had done it himself.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 12:36 AM   #34
BlakeA
"TRF" Member

This seems like worrying about scuff marks on the underside of your car or the soles of your shoes. Jeez
BlakeA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 12:43 AM   #35
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
What am I missing? I don’t see anything.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 12:57 AM   #36
Dave O
"TRF" Member

You stated she set it down gently. If this is the case, I don't see how the mark could have been caused by her. My AD sets them down just as yours did. It's not unusual. If our watches were that delicate mine would have scratches all over it, which it doesn't.

You (and another poster) stated you always place a cloth between the bracelet and case back when storing/setting it down. Now I'm as anal as they come, but this is way beyond me. Enjoy the watch. They are going to get scratches just by wearing them. What the back of my watch looks like would be the least of my worries and to go through the trouble of putting a cloth between the case and bracelet every time you set it down just seems like overkill.

It's a watch. It's going to get nicked up just by wearing it. Enjoy it for what it is.
Dave O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 12:59 AM   #37
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
I was curious. Though I don't have the same model as the OP, I have a few with bracelets. It does seem to line up with a portion of the bracelet edge and clasp.

Two of mine are 10+ years old and neither of them have that kind of mark. I have a few minor chips along the polished and brushed edge of the case back and I'm in the habit of setting them down with little regard to how they contact the case back.

Obviously, it got there somehow. I would think with the care the OP takes to avoid scratches; that one he would have remembered, if he had done it himself.
I agree, it hard to really see without being there.

I would think the OP would know if it came from repetitive placement.

I don’t have marks on any of my casebacks from setting them down unworn, but then again, I always place mine “dial down”
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 01:38 AM   #38
Incident
"TRF" Member

Meanwhile the OP's child falls down and cuts up his knees, doesn't think twice about it.

Case back of a watch has a non-scratch scratch and OP is beside himself.

If this type of mark bothers you, perhaps Rolex, or watches in general, is the wrong game to be playing.
Incident is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 03:42 AM   #39
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
AD Etiquette - Scratched Caseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incident View Post
Meanwhile the OP's child falls down and cuts up his knees, doesn't think twice about it.

Case back of a watch has a non-scratch scratch and OP is beside himself.

Come on, it’s not the same thing. No need to bring the man’s family into this.

Is the OP overly concerned about this? Sure, a bit.

There’s a difference between scratching it yourself and someone else doing it.
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 03:46 AM   #40
EEpro
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona
That rub mark isn't from just resting on the buckle. It leaves straight stripes in my experience.

I'd let this go for sure. it's really not important and case backs aren't expensive anyway.
Old 28 January 2024, 04:20 AM   #41
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl123 View Post
If you delicately rein-act the position you think the SA placed the watch down see if any part of bracelet touches that exact spot on case back and that could be your answer.
Yes, and in that position, the buckle comes into contact with the case back at that location. I too am perplexed that this would have caused this. So not sure if it’s a coincidence or what

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post

Yes, this is exactly it. But surprised that her simply laying it down would cause this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEpro View Post
That rub mark isn't from just resting on the buckle. It leaves straight stripes in my experience.

I'd let this go for sure. it's really not important and case backs aren't expensive anyway.
Yeah, The mark is exactly where the clasp comes into contact with the case back, but I am surprised by the marking itself
Old 28 January 2024, 04:21 AM   #42
Watchsama
"TRF" Member

My God...
Watchsama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 04:42 AM   #43
saltyandwet
"TRF" Member

wuahhhhhh wuahhhhhhhhhh wuahhhhhhhhhhh......
saltyandwet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 04:48 AM   #44
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
This post has left me torn.

I’m absolutely behind anyone whose watch is damaged by carelessness by the AD.

Scratched cases, lugs etc are not acceptable.

But to complains because the AD set the watch down the way it’s been done for like ever which maybe cased a mark on the case back is a step too far even for me.

I set my WG Daytona down like that all the time.

It’s a watch If I’m being honest I do baby to a degree.

Obsessing over having to place a cloth between the bracelet and caseback of any watch when setting it down carefully goes beyond care.

You’re venturing into the realms of obsessive compulsive behaviour at that point. It how’s beyond simply looking after one’s watch into something much more serious

Yes the SA should take care. Absolutely. But that mark (which can be removed in seconds) was not created by setting the watch down against its clasp.

904 steel is not that soft. 18ct gold is not that soft.

What i believe is happening here is that you are obsessing about perfection (which is fine btw) but as a result you need an explanation for the mark on the caseback and are thus using the SA’s actions as an explanation.

It troubles you so please get ir fixed.

And then consider seeking guidance on how to deal with such events.

I’m not saying that as criticism or in any way trying to demean your concerns, but as someone who has been there and been able to understand that it’s not commensurate to happiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 04:55 AM   #45
123Blueface
"TRF" Member

Watch: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devildog View Post
This post has left me torn.

I’m absolutely behind anyone whose watch is damaged by carelessness by the AD.

Scratched cases, lugs etc are not acceptable.

But to complains because the AD set the watch down the way it’s been done for like ever which maybe cased a mark on the case back is a step too far even for me.

I set my WG Daytona down like that all the time.

It’s a watch If I’m being honest I do baby to a degree.

Obsessing over having to place a cloth between the bracelet and caseback of any watch when setting it down carefully goes beyond care.

You’re venturing into the realms of obsessive compulsive behaviour at that point. It how’s beyond simply looking after one’s watch into something much more serious

Yes the SA should take care. Absolutely. But that mark (which can be removed in seconds) was not created by setting the watch down against its clasp.

904 steel is not that soft. 18ct gold is not that soft.

What i believe is happening here is that you are obsessing about perfection (which is fine btw) but as a result you need an explanation for the mark on the caseback and are thus using the SA’s actions as an explanation.

It troubles you so please get ir fixed.

And then consider seeking guidance on how to deal with such events.

I’m not saying that as criticism or in any way trying to demean your concerns, but as someone who has been there and been able to understand that it’s not commensurate to happiness.

………and then reach my age, recently lose a kidney, wait anxiously to learn if remaining one will pick up the slack…………and stuff like a minor mark on a watch will seem so, so trivial.

I don’t look to abuse my watches but certainly will not sweat any marks that are so readily repairable.
Old 28 January 2024, 04:55 AM   #46
Bladeshot
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT 1675 PCG Gilt
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeA View Post
This seems like worrying about scuff marks on the underside of your car or the soles of your shoes. Jeez

Agreed. And with the friend aspect… let it go.

Just another WIS who loves to trade.
@bladeandwatch1 on IG
Old 28 January 2024, 01:14 PM   #47
GGGMT
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 79010sg
Cannot imagine resting watch rubbing itself caused that. But if so, let er ride!

GGGMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 02:29 PM   #48
HAL9K
"TRF" Member

AD Etiquette - Scratched Caseback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchsama View Post
My God...
This.

It’s the case back of a steel DJ. (Who cares?!)

Much worse will inevitably happen if you plan on wearing the watch for a long time.

Do you guys seriously carry a cloth everywhere with you in case you have to take your watch off for a minute? I put my watch down face up all the time if I’m going to do something that might really damage it. The case back is not perfect, but it’s just…a case back.

You’re not even certain this wasn’t there before.

That being said, I take my watch off and lay it on its side crown down on the tray whenever I try on another piece at an AD. If stuff like that really bothers you, put it down yourself, you know it will rest “properly.”
HAL9K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 05:35 PM   #49
prushkovez
"TRF" Member

I really don’t understand that - OMG there is a scratch on my Rolex… I bought mine in November and it has already several scratches… I literally dont take them off… I do all my daily activities with them on, on Saturdays I cook dinner for the whole family, I do some gardening (weather permitting) and so on… and I have my new Rolex on… I want to enjoy it to its fullest extent… I really don’t understand such a reverent attitude towards a watch… of course no one should abuse it, but geez, having a “sucriligious” attitude… please, please, please enjoy your watch, it is just a watch, nothing else…
Old 28 January 2024, 05:39 PM   #50
raycover
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
I wear my watches and of course that comes with scratches. I don't abuse them either, but I certainly don't mind having scratches because a well worn Rolex to me looks gorgeous. It shows it's been loved. The first scratch always stings, but god willing if I live to 80 I can look down and see all that we've been through together.
raycover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2024, 05:48 PM   #51
messikens
"TRF" Member

Sorry to hear about the general issue...

Just my thoughts the SA should in general know how to handle a watch. That said, how she handled it shouldn't have caused a swirl scratch like that.

Finally, wear the sub without regrets and get used to it having hairline scratches, it'll make it more enjoyable to own. And let it go of she's a family friend
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 12:11 AM   #52
sawhornsoff
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Agree
sawhornsoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 12:49 AM   #53
AD337
"TRF" Member

This is sooo not surprising - not the end of the world, but annoying nonetheless
AD337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 04:11 AM   #54
zengineer
"TRF" Member

Are we all even talking about the same area on the watch?
zengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 January 2024, 04:13 PM   #55
Vince_76
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Sorry to hear about the general issue...

Just my thoughts the SA should in general know how to handle a watch. That said, how she handled it shouldn't have caused a swirl scratch like that.

Finally, wear the sub without regrets and get used to it having hairline scratches, it'll make it more enjoyable to own. And let it go of she's a family friend
Thanks buddy. I don’t think I was clear in my original post - the watch in question was the datejust that I took off and placed on the display tray (which she then picked my watch up from), while I was trying on my new sub.

I agree, letting this one go is best

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengineer View Post
Are we all even talking about the same area on the watch?
It’s the mark you see on the bottom left hand side. I looks like a smudge but it’s a scratch.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawhornsoff View Post
Agree
It’s surprising because the mark is where the middle of the clasp (where the folding mechanism is) comes into contact with the caseback. But agree that just placing the watch down shouldn’t have caused that.