The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 11 March 2024, 07:00 PM   #1
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP, Rolex and more
Adding an AP to your collection

This is something that I’ve meant to ask fellow forum members for a while now.

I have what I believe is a decent watch collection, around 20 pieces, ranging from very high-end to very cheap, dressy to sporty etc… It is something that I’ve built over the years, and that has allowed me to enjoy a nice rotation, as well as always having options for the various type of events I’m attending and social settings I am in.

Most of my watch collection has consistently enjoyed a fairly distributed amount of wrist time, up until I received my first AP.

I’ve added 4 APs in the collection in a fairly short amount of time (15450st blue, 26240st green 50th, 25940sk black and a 15510st black for my wife), and I’m finding extremely difficult to pick anything else from the watch box.
I still do love every single of the other watches in my collection, I see them as emotional time markers, and each of them has a special story/purpose, but damn, I have a hard time wearing anything else other than my APs.

Wondering if any of you have experienced the same, would be cool to share your stories and if the “infatuation” with the brand cooled off after a while...
SylvainDXB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 07:25 PM   #2
In-N-Out
"TRF" Member

I think I have about 12-15 watches, also ranging between "high-end" and very cheap. AP is the only "high-end" brand I have. And I'm also relatively new to AP; got my first AP in 2022. Currently have Khaki Diver, Blue 15510ST 50th, SS Code Chrono, and Khaki 26240ST.

I think the Khaki Diver will always have the most sentimental value to me since it's the first AP I got, and it was around the time I moved to Riyadh (Dial matched the Saudi flag). Have alot of memories wearing that watch in the scorching heat, and it was the only watch I wore while I traveled around the world (from Le Brassus, Zurich, Munich, London, Paris, Milan, Seoul, Kyoto, Tokyo, Bali, Abu Dhabi, Singapore, and much more) for 12 months afterwards while taking a career break.

While I try to wear all my APs, I've still been adding "more affordable" watches in the last 2 years, mostly from Grand Seiko and Casio. I enjoy wearing cheaper watches too because I can worry less about getting robbed while in America.

So my love for AP hasn't cooled off, but there is definitely a sense of freedom I get while wearing a Gshock. Sometimes, when wearing expensive watches, I get the feeling that the watch owns me instead of the other way around. I grew up extremely poor, so it's still weird for me to have expensive things. I have to worry about wrist presence so I don't bang it against doors, walls; or worse, worry about getting robbed.

My first watch was a Bluesy that I picked up in Paris back in 2016. I graduated from Cal so I wanted a blue/gold watch but couldn't afford the solid gold one, so I just bought the most expensive watch I could back then. Probably should have put more thought into it bc I don't really wear it anymore due to it being so flashy, but that watch has alot of sentimental value for me.

I don't see myself ever shifting my spend to PP, RM, ALS, or FPJ unless we go back to the old days where we can pick up watches off the shelf. Don't have the money, time, or patience to stack watches from multiple brands, so I have to focus on one or two. AP is a brand that resonates most with me in terms of respecting its heritage while simultaneously challenging the status quo. Rolex is the other brand that resonates with me for different reasons: heritage, reliability, accuracy, and of course, recognizability.
In-N-Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 07:31 PM   #3
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I wore my first RO a lot for a month or so, then I stopped and wore something else I had a lot but this is pretty normal for me. I tend to wear one watch a lot and then swap to something else.

January was mostly a Breguet tradition for example, Feb a Hublot and this month seems like grand seiko lol
WatchEater666 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 11:13 PM   #4
Daisy502
"TRF" Member

Thanks for this insight. I only have a few watches - Rolex, PP, VC, Chopard. I am getting my first AP end of this month and I am excited. I'll report back if it end up being my favorite the next few weeks but I try to choose watches, so it adds variety to my collection in terms of color and material. my outfit for the day tend to dictate what I wear. But the AP will be a Code 38mm White which will then go with a lot of outfits!
Daisy502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 11:29 PM   #5
AEV
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP & Rolex
For me AP made Rolex redundant...I even had a thread for it, seeking input from more experienced collectors. I started with Rolex and still have few Rolexes but hardly wear them.
Pateks are too dressy for me (at least at this stage of life), Nautilus and Aquanauts are impossible for 1st time buyers and I only buy from ADs.

So I rotate between my APs and a RO is pretty much my daily and actually holds pretty well. They are not as accurate and as robust as Rolex and that is okay for me.

I am also not the typical collector here as I don't want to have too many pieces.
AEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 March 2024, 11:41 PM   #6
APhound
"TRF" Member

Not sure if this will last forever, but after getting APs, only pm Rolexes do it for me now.
APhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 12:27 AM   #7
Pixiedust
"TRF" Member

I have been looking at AP dress watches too which I understand are out of fashion but I have a weak spot for rare beautiful dials. Some of the AP dress watches are very rare and undervalued in my opinion. Some are unique pieces and others as low as 50 units 1960-1970´s. Would like to hear what you think about this electric blue dial on white gold case and matching blue sapphire crown? Its definitely one of the rarer extra flats and putting a value on it is difficult. Hoping there is a vintage AP collector here that can shed some light?

Pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 12:52 AM   #8
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
I have waited a long time for my 1st AP and I already owned a few nice watches before the AP came. I'm more into artisanal handmade watches now and the AP though special, is not the most special watch in my box. The incoming felt good but not as uplifting as compared to the moment I got the confirmation from a watchmaker for an allocation of his brilliant watch.
Ichiran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 March 2024, 06:21 AM   #9
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEV View Post
For me AP made Rolex redundant...I even had a thread for it, seeking input from more experienced collectors. I started with Rolex and still have few Rolexes but hardly wear them.
Pateks are too dressy for me (at least at this stage of life), Nautilus and Aquanauts are impossible for 1st time buyers and I only buy from ADs.

So I rotate between my APs and a RO is pretty much my daily and actually holds pretty well. They are not as accurate and as robust as Rolex and that is okay for me.

I am also not the typical collector here as I don't want to have too many pieces.

I can relate to this.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 05:50 PM   #10
rappvctrinity
"TRF" Member

Same. 8 Rolexes. After AP never wear Rolex. Lol. AP is another level.
rappvctrinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 09:40 PM   #11
messikens
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust View Post
I have been looking at AP dress watches too which I understand are out of fashion but I have a weak spot for rare beautiful dials. Some of the AP dress watches are very rare and undervalued in my opinion. Some are unique pieces and others as low as 50 units 1960-1970´s. Would like to hear what you think about this electric blue dial on white gold case and matching blue sapphire crown? Its definitely one of the rarer extra flats and putting a value on it is difficult. Hoping there is a vintage AP collector here that can shed some light?

Dude not to be rude but how many more threads are you planning to post THE EXACT same picture with THE EXACT same question to the EXACT SAME group of people?

You've literally created a thread asking for this info specifically, posted it in the vintage AP thread and hijacked someone else's thread?

We got it, you're proud of the find. Now can you let the dead horse rest, it's been beaten to a pulp at this point? Strong start for your posting career btw...
messikens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 March 2024, 09:45 PM   #12
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixiedust View Post

You need to disclose the specs. In general I see these running around and they are cheap compared to modern AP. Most of them are in the 31-35mm size (very small), could be overpolished. The movements are also undersized for the case. Personally not the biggest fan.
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 March 2024, 11:30 PM   #13
Pixiedust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by messikens View Post
Dude not to be rude but how many more threads are you planning to post THE EXACT same picture with THE EXACT same question to the EXACT SAME group of people?

You've literally created a thread asking for this info specifically, posted it in the vintage AP thread and hijacked someone else's thread?

We got it, you're proud of the find. Now can you let the dead horse rest, it's been beaten to a pulp at this point? Strong start for your posting career btw...
Sorry about that, new and didn´t know if there was users on the post threads or not. Along with the requirement to post 10 messages well I overdid it. Learnt my lesson
Pixiedust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 08:26 PM   #14
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

I had 3 Royal Oaks, including a 15202, which I loved and wore 5 out of 7 days a week. Then I bought a 5167/1a a 5711 and a Journe Chronometre Bleu. Those threw cold water on my AP love affair and now I only have the 15202 which I haven't seen in 4 years.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 March 2024, 08:55 PM   #15
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I wore my first RO a lot for a month or so, then I stopped and wore something else I had a lot but this is pretty normal for me. I tend to wear one watch a lot and then swap to something else.

January was mostly a Breguet tradition for example, Feb a Hublot and this month seems like grand seiko lol
I can relate to this, that's basically how I would rotate the collection up until I started receiving my APs. Now it's gotten to the point where they make up 90% of wrist time, with a lot of watches not being picked up from the box anymore, a situation that frankly I did not anticipate...
Old 15 March 2024, 09:04 PM   #16
SylvainDXB
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by In-N-Out View Post

So my love for AP hasn't cooled off, but there is definitely a sense of freedom I get while wearing a Gshock. Sometimes, when wearing expensive watches, I get the feeling that the watch owns me instead of the other way around. I grew up extremely poor, so it's still weird for me to have expensive things. I have to worry about wrist presence so I don't bang it against doors, walls; or worse, worry about getting robbed.
I do relate to this on some level, while I've always loved watches, but I never really thought that my professional path would ever lead me to own a small collection, let alone several APs. My relationship with the brand is quite emotional for reasons I'll keep private, but I always find it interesting to see how fellow collectors "absorb" their first AP acquisition and how it affects their views on existing pieces or some that might have been in the pipeline... Thanks for sharing your story
Old 16 March 2024, 12:48 AM   #17
TheHolyLuck
"TRF" Member

After my first AP, I coudnt wear my 2 Hublots anymore. But I don’t think I will get to the point where I find something so better than AP to never wear them anymore.
À Nautilus would be sweet but I am sure I will keep wearing AP. The finitions are really top notch. I own ROO 26238ti and Code 3 hands taupe wich is so well executed aswell. Hope to add 15407 as next one.
TheHolyLuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 12:59 AM   #18
jgottsman11
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: President
Get a Patek and that will probably change
jgottsman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 01:32 AM   #19
Palex
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgottsman11 View Post
Get a Patek and that will probably change

I did, got a few Pateks, was underwelmed and sold them. Never been underwelmed by my AP’s. Especially with the “cheaper” ones of the two brands, AP stands out.
Palex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2024, 05:35 AM   #20
Pfang56
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex View Post
I did, got a few Pateks, was underwelmed and sold them. Never been underwelmed by my AP’s. Especially with the “cheaper” ones of the two brands, AP stands out.

I've been there with Patek and still dabble here and there. It's all subjective, but just feel AP has a much more modern vibe, and Patek tries too hard to be youthful (6007 is a perfect example of this) when they already excel at classic reinterpretations of their original models. Going to the event last year was a bit underwhelming - and after putting on a 5224, a 5261 (ugh), and a 6007 - I didn't feel the same thing when I strapped on a 5960, a 5164, or a 6119, let alone a 5070, 5712, 5970, or others. The 6007 just felt unimpressive vs a 6007 and like for like - I way prefer the CODE. The 5531G on the other hand is a freaking work of art and while I love the Universelle, would still take the 5531G so Patek does excel in the high end...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pfang56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2024, 01:02 AM   #21
PreferHackingSeconds
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SylvainDXB View Post
This is something that I’ve meant to ask fellow forum members for a while now.

I have what I believe is a decent watch collection, around 20 pieces, ranging from very high-end to very cheap, dressy to sporty etc… It is something that I’ve built over the years, and that has allowed me to enjoy a nice rotation, as well as always having options for the various type of events I’m attending and social settings I am in.

Most of my watch collection has consistently enjoyed a fairly distributed amount of wrist time, up until I received my first AP.

I’ve added 4 APs in the collection in a fairly short amount of time (15450st blue, 26240st green 50th, 25940sk black and a 15510st black for my wife), and I’m finding extremely difficult to pick anything else from the watch box.
I still do love every single of the other watches in my collection, I see them as emotional time markers, and each of them has a special story/purpose, but damn, I have a hard time wearing anything else other than my APs.

Wondering if any of you have experienced the same, would be cool to share your stories and if the “infatuation” with the brand cooled off after a while...
Echo your sentiments completely.
I first tried to get into AP with the new 43mm in 2022 but couldn’t get the titanium with the grey ceramic bezel (IO).

Fast forward to 2023, a friend introduced me to a boutique and I wanted the Code as my first AP. Slowly one thing led to another and I am 4 watches in. Excited for the new releases and I am eyeing the new 3 hander time only ROO and eventually want a perpetual calendar, open work and tourbillon.

After I’ve gotten into AP, the rest of my watches have seen less wrist time. There’s just something magical about the finishing and the bracelet on the RO and the fit on the code and ROOs. Have had other 42 and 43mm watches but they don’t sit nicely like ROOs.

I also like what they are doing with the coverage program and the Boutiques and Houses don’t try to create purchase with purchase unlike other Multibrand stores. They constantly reiterate to put a wish list for what I want rather than suggesting any purchases. Definitely the buying experience is a lot better than ADs that represent a brand.
PreferHackingSeconds is offline   Reply With Quote