The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 18 January 2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Chuckwalla
"TRF" Member

Need help on a model number

I am a total noob, please bear with me if I error in description, etc.

I have an old Rolex 14kt capped Oyster Perpetual Date. I need to sell it and am trying to nail down the model and vintage.

Originally a friend of mine was given this watch by his girl friend in 1978. Its engraved on the back, which I know lowers the value a bit. Anyway, they split up and I eventually bought this to help him out. And its been fun to wear I might add.

The outer case has no serial number or model. I assume they are inside somewhere. It came originally with a leather strap but I changed it out to a Rolex capped band.

It’s been to Rolex Dallas a couple times over the 30 years I've had it for regular overhauls. It runs well keeps good time, etc. It’s a fine watch, as one would expect.

It looks very much like a 15505, but those seem to have been made later. It has the plain, not crenellated bezel and champagne dial.

Anyway, any idea on what it truly is? Value? And what would be a good venue to sell it in or at?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
Chuckwalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
DG123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Oyster Perpetual
If you have the service receipts from the two visits to Dallas RSC, there could be a model number written on those papers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwalla View Post
I am a total noob, please bear with me if I error in description, etc.

I have an old Rolex 14kt capped Oyster Perpetual Date. I need to sell it and am trying to nail down the model and vintage.

Originally a friend of mine was given this watch by his girl friend in 1978. Its engraved on the back, which I know lowers the value a bit. Anyway, they split up and I eventually bought this to help him out. And its been fun to wear I might add.

The outer case has no serial number or model. I assume they are inside somewhere. It came originally with a leather strap but I changed it out to a Rolex capped band.

It’s been to Rolex Dallas a couple times over the 30 years I've had it for regular overhauls. It runs well keeps good time, etc. It’s a fine watch, as one would expect.

It looks very much like a 15505, but those seem to have been made later. It has the plain, not crenellated bezel and champagne dial.

Anyway, any idea on what it truly is? Value? And what would be a good venue to sell it in or at?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.
DG123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Racer X
"TRF" Member

A good quality pic would help people identify the watch.
Racer X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2011, 10:27 AM   #4
Chuckwalla
"TRF" Member

Rolex a2d232 by joneshosehead, on Flickr

I hope this can help. I lost the paperwork long ago with moving around, marriage, etc over the decades.
Old 18 January 2011, 12:15 PM   #5
Saxon007
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckwalla View Post

The model number and serial number are between the lugs. Remove the bracelet and, unless they are worn away, you can read them.
Once you have the serial number you can get an approximate date of manufacture here: http://www.oysterworld.de/production-dates.html

Old 18 January 2011, 02:25 PM   #6
Chuckwalla
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxon007 View Post
The model number and serial number are between the lugs. Remove the bracelet and, unless they are worn away, you can read them.
Once you have the serial number you can get an approximate date of manufacture here: http://www.oysterworld.de/production-dates.html

OK, I must have missed it when I looked for it years ago. It is a 1505.

The serial is proving harder with old eyes. Naturally, theres a mark on the first digit obscuring it slightly. Its either a 3 (1975) or a 5 (1977). Since the watch is engraved 1978, I'll have tro say preliminarily that is a '77.

What kind of value does it have? And who is a respected and trusted buyer of such a thing?
Old 18 January 2011, 02:51 PM   #7
Chuckwalla
"TRF" Member

I must have missed the numbers the few times I looked for them. It is a model 1505. The serial was much harder to read, but loks to be 54xxxxx putting it at 1977. This makes sense as the watch is engraved fro 1978. I acquired it in the early 1980's.

I forgot I had an Optivisor which made the serial a lot easier . I went to horology school once, Gem City College in Quincy. Only got through clock making before i was called back to work.

Looking around, it appears this is an acrylic crystal?