The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Miscellaneous Forums > Pens & Writing Instruments

Old 31 October 2009, 07:56 AM   #1
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YM Deep Space
Frankie.... As promised. Here is where I store my pens.

Ok Frankie,

As promised. Here is where I store the pens in my daily rotation. Meaning I keep them at hand in order to easily get to them and choose the one I want for the day. I have the Barrister Bookcase prepared for another shelf should I need to add one.

This is about a 1/3 of my collection. Most of these are Montblancs, but you will also see a couple of Sheaffers, Parkers, Pelikans, Watermans, Yard-O-Leds, Faber Castells, and Deltas here. The others I keep in an antique pen case upstairs in my office. I will get a photo of that later if you would like.

I know... I know...! I could have had another Rolex or two for what I have wrapped up in these, but I am an addict and you know you can't reason with an addict!

I know someone will ask so I will just save the bandwidth now. On the lower shelf is a complete set of the works of Charles Dickens from about 1910 as well as some unused Moleskine journals on the left of those. On the top of the case is an old tobacco case from London and on the right is an oak stationery case with crystal inkwells also from London. The cigar is a Fuente Chateau, and there is also a 3 place leather pen travel case. The flowers are silk from Walmart!

Oris TT1 Pro Diver Regulator 43MM
Bisquitlips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 08:02 AM   #2
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: 18078 YG DD
Now THAT is a collection!!!

I only 1/2 fill up my case that my wife got me from Levenger.... (that means I don't have many) Is that a Retro 51 in there somewhere?
Old 31 October 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 View Post
Now THAT is a collection!!!

I only 1/2 fill up my case that my wife got me from Levenger.... (that means I don't have many) Is that a Retro 51 in there somewhere?
No, no Retro 51's in there, but I do have 3 of them upstairs. They make a great pen for and even greater price. I have one of their roller ball wrapped in an embossed leather. Very cool. And also one of the FP's that have real stamps laminated onto the barrel. They to a unique job in the pen world and I do like em!

Old 31 October 2009, 08:10 AM   #4
Thomas
Banned

Richard, nice pen collection!
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 08:20 AM   #5
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisquitlips View Post
No, not Retro 51's in there, but I do have about 3 of them upstairs. They make a great pen for and even greater price. I have one of their rollerballs wrapped in a Ostrich embossed leather. Very cool. And also one of the FP's that have real stamps laminated onto the barrel. They to a unique job in the pen world and I do like em!
I have 2 Retro 51's in my rotation. They are good little pens and fit perfectly in my polo-type shirts that have small pockets.

My "grail" pen is the MB with the diamond. I think it is called the "anniversary" edition. When I priced it at the MB store, I decided it will stay my grail for a long, long time.
Old 31 October 2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I have 2 Retro 51's in my rotation. They are good little pens and fit perfectly in my polo-type shirts that have small pockets.

My "grail" pen is the MB with the diamond. I think it is called the "anniversary" edition. When I priced it at the MB store, I decided it will stay my grail for a long, long time.
Excellent choices Bait!

The MB with the diamond is indeed the 75th anniversary. "75 Years of Passion and Soul" is engraved around the top cap ring! This is one of my favorites but not on my short list. Someday....!

And I think it has one of the most beautiful nibs that MB has ever made!

Old 31 October 2009, 08:52 AM   #7
2careless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pepsi
Wow Richard. There is at least 2 more shelf spaces on that cabinet to grow, and you've got a very broad collection of other brands too!

Here's where I put my MB. Boutique's display case.

Open it up (I got another case to store the Meisterstucks and anniversary editions on the right)

All the MB FP posted.

Left to right - 1960's 149 BB, 75th anniv 149 EF, Christie B, Wilde M, Schiller M, Verne M, Dumas (father) F, Dostoevsky M, Unicef 146 M, 100th historical F.
2careless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 08:55 AM   #8
gmh1013
Banned

Watch: GMT
Wow

holy bat s**t batman.....now THAT is a collection....if only I had that many Rolexs/Omegas/Breitlings etc...
gmh1013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2careless View Post
Wow Richard. There is at least 2 more shelf spaces on that cabinet to grow, and you've got a very broad collection of other brands too!

Here's where I put my MB. Boutique's display case.

Open it up (I got another case to store the Meisterstucks and anniversary editions)

All the FP posted.
Wow! Careless!!! Where is the drooling emoticon when I need one! Mods!!!!

That is a DREAM MB writer's collection! Very, Very Very nice!

I wanna be you when I grow up!
Old 31 October 2009, 09:12 AM   #10
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wow! Careless!!! Where is the drooling emoticon when I need one! Mods!!!!

That is a DREAM MB writer's collection! Very, Very Very nice!

I wanna be you when I grow up!
Mate your collection is similar! I can count Dumas, Hemingway, many solitaire classics, Boehmes, Christie, Greta Garbo

Kai
Old 31 October 2009, 09:26 AM   #11
azone5
"TRF" Member

Gorgeous pens.
azone5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 09:29 AM   #12
Dr.B
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS White Daytona
Wow...great pen collection.
Dr.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 09:36 AM   #13
R1@160@alltimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: ♛
Absolutely awesome, Kai and Richard
Old 31 October 2009, 09:54 AM   #14
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Mate your collection is similar! I can count Dumas, Hemingway, many solitaire classics, Boehmes, Christie, Greta Garbo

Kai

Good eyes Kai! The Agatha was a grail pen for me and now I am severely constipated until I can get the all elusive Hemingway FP!

I also want the Dumas FP. I have one Father and one Son. You gotta love the looks of their writer's series!

We need to have a Rolex and FP GTG somewhere!

The Montblanc Ernest Hemingway FP. First in the writers series and worthy!

The Montblanc Dumas!

The Agatha Christie!

Old 31 October 2009, 10:04 AM   #15
2careless
"TRF" Member

For WE, I only want the Mann, Proust, Voltaire and possibly Christie BP. I'm also drooling over JP Morgan and Prince Regent. Unfortunately the price is not right for these puppies atm. Maybe after Xmas.
Old 31 October 2009, 10:14 AM   #16
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
For WE, I only want the Mann, Proust, Voltaire and possibly Christie BP. I'm also drooling over JP Morgan and Prince Regent. Unfortunately the price is not right for these puppies atm. Maybe after Xmas.
The Morgan is really a nice pen and I love the hand craftsmanship on them.

Also, Montblanc has flipped a booger on me for this one!! Way out of my reach for now. The Black Widow.

Old 31 October 2009, 10:45 AM   #17
2careless
"TRF" Member

Seriously, would I ink a Black Widow, or any of the skeletons / flag series etc?
Impractical, out of budget = forget it
Old 31 October 2009, 10:55 AM   #18
iSellJerseyShore
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master IIc
Quote:
Ok Frankie,

As promised. Here is where I store the pens in my daily rotation. Meaning I keep them at hand in order to easily get to them and choose the one I want for the day. I have the Barrister Bookcase prepared for another shelf should I need to add one.

This is about a 1/3 of my collection. Most of these are Montblancs, but you will also see a couple of Sheaffers, Parkers, Pelikans, Watermans, Yard-O-Leds, Faber Castells, and Deltas here. The others I keep in an antique pen case upstairs in my office. I will get a photo of that later if you would like.

I know... I know...! I could have had another Rolex or two for what I have wrapped up in these, but I am an addict and you know you can't reason with an addict!

I know someone will ask so I will just save the bandwidth now. On the lower shelf is a complete set of the works of Charles Dickens from about 1910 as well as some unused Moleskine journals on the left of those. On the top of the case is an old tobacco case from London and on the right is an oak stationery case with crystal inkwells also from London. The cigar is a Fuente Chateau, and there is also a 3 place leather pen travel case. The flowers are silk from Walmart!

WoW! you have a stunning collection there Richard! I absolutely love your setup; the pens look to be quite accessible for when passing by. Kinda like a NASCAR racing pit, they are all on display and ready for a change out. I would love to see the antique pen case you have in your office!

The images you have posted have me in complete awe, well except for the Walmart flowers

So realistically, do you use all of the pens in your collection throughout your daily rotations? Or do you have a few that are showcase queens?

AHHHHH I have another question for you...... I think this is going to be a good one.... Ok, so you obviously have good taste in time pieces as well as writing instruments. So my question is what type of paper do you use? Obviously if you are filling out forms or contracts they are the standard crap, but if you are writing a letter to someone or maybe taking notes, do you use any special paper or notebook?

-Frankie
iSellJerseyShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 11:22 AM   #19
Lion
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-II 16710 PEPSI
Gentlemen, your collections of writing instruments(you guys do not have pens) are inspiring and have me drooling. Someday when I grow up I want to be like you guys and have writing instruments!!!

SS GMT-II 16710 PEPSI(Z-serial#)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MEN AND BOYS IS THE PRICE OF THE TOYS!!!
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Doue Silver Barley
MontBlanc Meisterstuck Solitaire Doue Signum
Proud Card Carrying Member of the Curmudgeons.....Yikes!!!
Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 11:38 AM   #20
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSellJerseyShore View Post
WoW! you have a stunning collection there Richard! I absolutely love your setup; the pens look to be quite accessible for when passing by. Kinda like a NASCAR racing pit, they are all on display and ready for a change out. I would love to see the antique pen case you have in your office!

The images you have posted have me in complete awe, well except for the Walmart flowers

So realistically, do you use all of the pens in your collection throughout your daily rotations? Or do you have a few that are showcase queens?

AHHHHH I have another question for you...... I think this is going to be a good one.... Ok, so you obviously have good taste in time pieces as well as writing instruments. So my question is what type of paper do you use? Obviously if you are filling out forms or contracts they are the standard crap, but if you are writing a letter to someone or maybe taking notes, do you use any special paper or notebook?

-Frankie
Thanks Frankie and I will get a photo of the antique case as soon as I can.

Realistically only the MB Agathas and Hemingway are case queens. I will carry them when I go to the local pen shop here, but that is about it. Everything else gets used. The Dumas set only on special occasions.

My favorite stationery of all time was the Crane's "Airmail" Stationery. Airmail meaning it was very light, not that it had the striping around the edge of the envelopes. They stopped making it years ago, but occasionally you can find it on eBay for about $30.00 for 50 sheets and 25 envelopes. I haven't seen any out there for about 8 months now and I do look regularly. It was an onion skin stationery but so well made that any of my inks would not bleed through it. Amazing!

The best part about it was that it was masculine and had a very light watermark impression of an antique world map across the entire sheet.

As far as a common maker brand, I like Arpa handmade stationery. Easy to find, but expensive.

I think one of the things that is so appealing to me about things like FP's and stationery is that hand written letters and cards is almost a lost art. If you think about when the last time was you actually wrote a letter by hand I think you will know what I mean. There is nothing quite like sitting down with a nice pen and stationery and thinking through your every sentence before your write it. Not backspace, delete, save, or edit. Lots of trouble, but shows the receiver something very different than an email.

Here is a shot of some Arpa. Notice the edges of the paper are hand feathered. Sweet!

By the way, I have been known to also use wax seals on my envelopes. I am sure that drives the USPS nuts!

Old 31 October 2009, 11:46 AM   #21
meloncap78
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV C
Excellent collection you have there. That is definitely drool material.

~ Joshua
meloncap78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 11:50 AM   #22
mck22
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub Date
excelent photos guys, and great collections. I am looking to get into a used Mont Blanc for my first one!!!

mck22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 12:13 PM   #23
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
What an outstanding great collection! Congratulations.

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 12:32 PM   #24
iSellJerseyShore
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT-Master IIc
Quote:
Thanks Frankie and I will get a photo of the antique case as soon as I can.

Realistically only the MB Agathas and Hemingway are case queens. I will carry them when I go to the local pen shop here, but that is about it. Everything else gets used. The Dumas set only on special occasions.

My favorite stationery of all time was the Crane's "Airmail" Stationery. Airmail meaning it was very light, not that it had the striping around the edge of the envelopes. They stopped making it years ago, but occasionally you can find it on eBay for about $30.00 for 50 sheets and 25 envelopes. I haven't seen any out there for about 8 months now and I do look regularly. It was an onion skin stationery but so well made that any of my inks would not bleed through it. Amazing!

The best part about it was that it was masculine and had a very light watermark impression of an antique world map across the entire sheet.

As far as a common maker brand, I like Arpa handmade stationery. Easy to find, but expensive.

I think one of the things that is so appealing to me about things like FP's and stationery is that hand written letters and cards is almost a lost art. If you think about when the last time was you actually wrote a letter by hand I think you will know what I mean. There is nothing quite like sitting down with a nice pen and stationery and thinking through your every sentence before your write it. Not backspace, delete, save, or edit. Lots of trouble, but shows the receiver something very different than an email.

Here is a shot of some Arpa. Notice the edges of the paper are hand feathered. Sweet!

By the way, I have been known to also use wax seals on my envelopes. I am sure that drives the USPS nuts!

AHHH the infamous Wax Seal! A few years back I was actively searching for a wax seal with my initials but I was unable to find one. Do you have any sources you can recommend for wax seals? Do the wax seals you use have any special meaning to you or are they antique?

-Frankie
iSellJerseyShore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 12:40 PM   #25
Lol-x
Facilitator

Excellent pens Richard & Kai. You guys have got the MB bug pretty bad............and so do I

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 October 2009, 01:32 PM   #26
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSellJerseyShore View Post
AHHH the infamous Wax Seal! A few years back I was actively searching for a wax seal with my initials but I was unable to find one. Do you have any sources you can recommend for wax seals? Do the wax seals you use have any special meaning to you or are they antique?

-Frankie
There are many sources for them out on the web and even some places will custom make them to your initials, but I don't have a recommendation. Sorry.

My wax seals are just the letter of my last name. My wife got it for me for Christmas a couple of years back. I dip the stamp in gold leaf powder prior to stamping the wax so you get a really nice gold letter melted into whatever color wax you use.
Old 31 October 2009, 01:34 PM   #27
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
Excellent pens Richard & Kai. You guys have got the MB bug pretty bad............and so do I
You got that right Steve. Or should I say that the Montblanc bug has me!
Old 1 November 2009, 04:27 AM   #28
BarkMaster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Excellent choices Bait!

The MB with the diamond is indeed the 75th anniversary. "75 Years of Passion and Soul" is engraved around the top cap ring! This is one of my favorites but not on my short list. Someday....!

I guess I have confused the name... I meant this one....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MB.jpg (60.2 KB, 54 views)
Old 1 November 2009, 04:43 AM   #29
Bisquitlips
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I guess I have confused the name... I meant this one....
They are both anniversary editions. Just different models!

Excellent choice!
Old 1 November 2009, 05:51 AM   #30
2careless
"TRF" Member

Quote:

That's my picture and my handwriting hahaha
No wonder it is so familiar.

A nib shot of this big guy.

The one showed in the picture is the "Montblanc 75th Anniversary Special Edition" 149 which has a white snowcap with 18k gold nib and clip. They manufactured this line for 1 year in 1999 and that's it. Mine was approx 600USD with box, CD and paper - the CD is a Placido Domingo opera called Operalia.

They have another "Limited Edition" of the same which has a MOP snowcap with rosegold nib and clip. Limited to 1924 pieces. The price is like 1.8k USD nowadays. I have the impression that people are not that happy with the workmanship of this model as I have read that a well known nibmaster had worked on an example of this pen and the rosegold plating actually fell off the nib. So if you're to buy this pen, make sure there is a return policy covering the rosegold plating.