The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Watch Reviews (Non-Rolex)

Old 8 June 2006, 05:48 AM   #1
Biblebanger

Seamaster Faceoff 2254.50 vs 2201.50

Finally am sitting down to write my review of the Black SMP vs. Black PO. So hear goes. I realize that they are both Seamaster Professionals but for comparison purposes I will call the the SMP and PO.

Some Comparisons for starters

Model # SMP - 2254.50 / PO - 2201.50
Diameter: SMP - 41mm / PO - 42mm
Base Movement 2892-A2: Mod SMP -1120 / PO - 2500C
Movement Jewels: SMP - 23 / PO - 27
AR Coating: SMP Inside Crystal / PO - Both sides of crystal
Depth Rating: SMP - 300m/1000ft / PO - 600m/2000ft
List Price: SMP - $2150 / PO - $3400
Price Paid: SMP - $1395 / PO - $2490
Warranty: SMP - 2 years / PO - 3 years

Planet Ocean Wrist Shot

Seamaster Professional Wrist Shot

Case Comparison

Seamaster Pro: I really admire the sleekness and low profile of this case. It is one of the most comfortable and fits under a shirt sleeve with ease. It kind of just hugs the wrist. I really like how the case flows into the crown guards. It is all very aesthetic. Finish is beautiful and originally had a polished finish on the tops of the lugs and around the crown guards. I believe it stands at 11mm in height.

Planet Ocean: Has a chunkier feel. With added thickness of a total case height of 15mm. However it is equally beautiful. The case itself actually acts as the crown guards. When I first saw the PO a year ago I did not care for this design feature. I thought that a dive watch should have crown guards like the SMP and Submariner. Since then I have warmed up to the style and it ultra clean lines. It really make the heavier designed crown stand out. The case lugs are much beefier than on the SMP. I believe they would have a similar look as the Speedmaster.

I would give a slight edge to PO for the case design. I personally think that it has a bit more masculinity or maybe it is muscularity. This is a look that I personally like.

As you can see in the picture the case backs are both a beautiful design. I believe that the PO has the edge hear in beauty. The typical Sea Monster is larger and more detailed plus the texture around it looks very expertly finished in comparison to the SMP waves.

Bezel Comparison

SMP - When I first saw the SMP Bond and Black model. I really liked the scalloped style of bezel. However over the last year I have grown to really admire the coin edge style of the submariner. I think that the PO bezel is different enough from the Sub that it is not even close to a copy like some people suggest. It is also much more practical in operating. The SMP like many have stated before can become slippery and hard to manipulate even when dry.

As far as the bezel insert goes. I really like the bold numerals on the SMP. I think they are easy to read and very sporty. In contrast I love the PO insert. I think the silver ring ties the bezel in with the case and gives a totally different look than all other black dive watches.(Except the Seamaster 300 Of course) I could see that for diving purposes the silver ring and smaller numbers may make it harder to read in certain conditions. I do not dive so it is not a factor for me. In fact I believe that the smaller numbers are more subtle and dressy.

Dial and Hands

Dial

When I first purchased the SMP I loved the waves on the dial. But over time I honestly grew tired of them. I started to covet the submariners with their solid black dials. Then over time I started to sway to the vintage subs with their matte dials. I think that this type of finish stands out in looks above others. This is one of the reasons that I liked the Po's dial. It gives the classic look of matte with just a slight sheen to it.

Markers

I can not say whether I like painted or applied markers. I think they both have their place in Watchdom. I do like the applied for dressing up purposes. I think they are a little more versatile. The painted however give a true sport look and I think they are more interesting to look at. IMO the same hold true in the Rolex world. Both applied and painted have their place. I have often thought that if the SMP came with a matte dial and the painted markers it would look really good.

One thing that I did not like about the SMP when I first saw it was the huge hour marker. After getting to know dive watches and seeing some other brands. I now understand why it is so large. It was offensive to me at first but I certainly grew to like how it stands out. Definitely a trademark of the 2254. I think that the subtle 12 hour marker of the PO and the addition of the Arabic numeral gives a dressier and classic look altogether. Both are very cool in their own respects.

I think that I do like the painted white Omega symbol on the SMP better than the applied one. The applied one is just hard to see. It is so flat that everything reflect off of it like a mirror so that it is always reflecting the color that is in front of it. Maybe this is a cool feature?

Hands

Was not a huge fan of the arrow hands of the PO at first. I do like it on the minute hand but on the hour hand it is a bit much. I would love to transplant a sword hand from the 2254 for the hour hand on a PO. I will say one thing about the arrow hands that I do like. Very easy to read and very exclusive in style. I think in the long run it will set this watch apart out from all the others.

I have said this before that I absolutely love the sword hand of the SMP. The way the lume fills them up and they way set from each other make them look very classy. I do ask myself though how it would look transplanting the arrow minute hand from the PO to the SMP just for contrast. I would say that the only draw back the sword hands are that they look too similar but it has never been an issue for me.

Lume Comparison

Lume

As far as lume is concerned both watches have an abundance of it. I would give an ever so slight edge to the SMP because it has a little more surface area. It also seems to have a touch more staying power. This is no doubt because of the thickness of the application. Maybe I will have to do a closer inspection test and see how they compare after some extended period of time.

Fit and Finish

After examining both watches under a 10x Lupe I have come to an obvious conclusion. I have heard this stated by others in the past as well. The PO is far superior in finish of the dial to the SMP. The applied markers probably make it easier for the lume application but the lume on the SMP when viewed close up is down right sloppy. In fact even to the naked eye it is generally not centered very precisely. The printing on the PO dial including the numbers, and minute markers is awesome. The dealer and I did some comparison looking against the Sea Dweller and we we agreed that the dials were too close to tell if one was finished better than the other. I will say this about the Rolex. After looking at an SD through 10x magnification it was absolutely perfect.

Crown

I often thought the crown on the SMP was too thin. It does look nice in conjunction with the crown guards. The PO's crown is beefy and beautiful. It is easier to grip and just looks the part of a serious dive watch. I give the high five to the PO on this feature.

Bracelet Comparison

Bracelet

This early in my ownership of the PO I can not say whether I will like the curved style bracelet better or not. It is certainly comfortable and has a clean look with excellent finish. It has the excellent and classic two pushbutton clasp which make all of these watches a pleasure to wear. In comparison to my Breitling which I dread taking off at night because one of these times I might rip off my fingernail. IMO their is none better than the Omegas.

I do think that the Po's bracelet will rival the Bond in comfort. Which up until now was the best I have ever tried. The Bond/2254's case however will still feel better on the wrist than the PO.

The SMP Speedmaster style bracelet is a work of art. I have always loved how the watch lines flow up into the case. In comparison the Po's bracelet kind of looks like an afterthought.

When I look at the two together. To me it looks as if the rounded PO bracelet would fit the aesthetics of the 2254 with its rounded curvy lines better. Maybe the Po's chunkier more angular style would be better with the 2254's bracelet. Anyone have a picture of this swap? Of course now we are talking about Franken watches again. Might be fun to try though.

Crystal

Both watches have a domed sapphire crystal. The SMP sports an AR coating on the inside. The PO has it on both sides. Now in comparison when I look at my Breitling Steelfish with a blue face I really enjoy the AR coating. I do not care for it however on the black dialed PO. It makes the dial look blue at a lot of angles and lighting situations. I understand how it works and love it when it looks like the crystal has disappeared. I do not love it when it looks blue or their is a fingerprint which seems to be more often with the AR coatings. I am also much more concerned with smacking the crystal against things and scratching the coating. With my SMP I never thought twice about were I stuck my arm.

Movement

I am not going to dive deep into the movements because many have done this in the past. Everyone knows that the 1120 is tried and true and very accurate -1 or -2 seconds a day for me. The PO so far is around +2 a day. I like a faster watch better just because it is easier to reset. I am sure that this rate will change as it breaks in. MY SMP was actually fast at first as well then slowed down over time.

When I bought my SMP about a year ago I was about as interested in the technology and design of the Co-Axial escapement as I was in the chemical reaction of paint drying. The dealer actually tried to sell me a PO at that time and when he started getting into the tech of the 2500 movement I started staring off into space like "OK great whatever, which one is less expensive". Now a year later after getting to know all of these crazy nuts on the watch Fora(John's correct vernacular term) I have grown much more interested in the horological aspect of what is actually on the inside. Kind of a watch enthusiast myself. In fact when I told the dealer that the PO actually had a beat rate of 25,200bph instead of the usual 28.8 he gave me the gazing dear in the headlights look that I gave him a year ago. Kind of funny how things change in a year. To sum things up, I am excited about the Co-ax and the longer warranty, power reserve, added uniqueness, more jewels and hopefully improved accuracy. I guess we will see about that.

Finale

In closing the SMP has been a tried and true friend. I said that I would sell it but am struggling to do so. I have it on a rubber strap right now and does very good at golf and work duties. In the past I have wore it with a suit and with a bathing suit. Very versatile, classic and ultimately comfortable with its low profile. It was my first good watch. I think one would struggle to find a better value with its level of performance and prestige. Only time will tell what its fate will be.

Bracelet

Rubber Strap

I think the Planet Ocean has been ushered in to be a bigger and better watch for me. I love its unique look but also when you trace its roots back too the Seamaster 300 the resemblance is uncanny. Not a bad grandfather to take after. I think it dresses up better and IMO has a little more flash. Some of my favorite features are the thickness of the case. I really like the muscular lugs and clean look of the large crown integrated into the case. I really like the bezel with its silver ring which really sets it apart from other black dive watches. Probably my most favorite features is the black matte dial which is ultra classy. And last but certainly not least the Co-ax movement and awesome fit and finish. All these things make this watch a one of kind design which I believe will stand the test of time.

Thank You for Reading!

Haj
Biblebanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 09:14 AM   #2
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Excellent review Haj.
mailman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 09:34 AM   #3
C.J.
"TRF" Member

One hell of a review, pal Thanks
Old 8 June 2006, 02:38 PM   #4
RogerF
"TRF" Member

Watch: a gonna do?
gorgeous watch!!!!
RogerF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 04:06 PM   #5
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Great review, Haj....excellent job on both watches. Well done!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 05:49 PM   #6
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Excellent pictures and review Haj myself quite a fan of the PO orange bezel too.IMO the PO build and movement can equal Rolex in every way.Myself have a Seamaster Aqua Terra can confirm its a very accurate watch.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 10:30 PM   #7
mamas
"TRF" Member

great review Haj. thanks for posting .. very interesting to read.
mamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 10:56 PM   #8
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Excellent review, Haj. Of course you had great material to work with.

Maybe you should consider becoming the resident TRF reviewer.

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 11:05 PM   #9
Biblebanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
Excellent review, Haj. Of course you had great material to work with.

Maybe you should consider becoming the resident TRF reviewer.
Yes, I accept the job. Just send me your watches and I will review them.

By the way did I mention that I must wear a watch for at least a year to get an accurate review?
Biblebanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2006, 11:10 PM   #10
Rockrolex
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: What do you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biblebanger View Post
Yes, I accept the job. Just send me your watches and I will review them.

By the way did I mention that I must wear a watch for at least a year to get an accurate review?
I think you misunderstand. Part of being a reviewer is acquiring the product yourself and testing what you purchase. Then you can distribute your used, worn out products to dserving and discerning readers (hint, hint).

Tosser Cabinet Member

Official Member: 'Perpetual 30' Vegas International GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2018
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2019
Rockrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2006, 05:09 AM   #11
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockrolex View Post
I think you misunderstand. Part of being a reviewer is acquiring the product yourself and testing what you purchase. Then you can distribute your used, worn out products to deserving and discerning readers (hint, hint).
Always the lawyer, uh Ed? BTW, who's to determine who the "deserving and discerning readers" are?

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
JJ Irani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2010, 08:49 PM   #12
Ultraman
"TRF" Member

Awesome comparison review of the two Omega! Enjoy the read.
Ultraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2010, 09:44 PM   #13
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Old thread but an excellent review. Made for some real good reading.
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2011, 02:48 PM   #14
Maxtor
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: Exp 1, DJ Tuxedo
Very nice review. Love the comparison reviews.
Maxtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2011, 03:01 PM   #15
sea-dweller
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the detailed review!
TRF Member #6699 (since September 2007)
sea-dweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2012, 11:24 PM   #16
RolexPete
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270 Mk2
Having just bought the same PO reviewed here (but on OEM mesh) I really enjoyed this review. It was also nice to read a few words from JJ. God bless him and all on this forum!

2016 Explorer 214270 Mk2 - 1996 Submariner 14060* - 1972 Datejust 1601
1972 Oyster Perpetual 1002 - 1978 Oysterquartz 17000
Omega Seamaster 2265.80 - Omega Seamaster 300 166.0324
*RIP PAL 1942-2015
RolexPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2012, 06:49 AM   #17
Swissz
"TRF" Member

PO on mesh looks stunning.
Swissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2012, 03:08 AM   #18
The Relumer