The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 19 January 2015, 04:35 PM   #1
Shawnnyang
Banned

7021/1680 - Redundant to keep both?

Hey guys, I'm very new to the vintage game and began my small collection with a 1680 and a blue 7021 (both unpolished, perfeclty patina'ed and retrofitted with ABC's superdome).

While I love both pieces, I find myself more and more ambivalent as to which I wear on a daily basis. At this point these are my only watches and was thinking of getting rid of one for a bit of diversity or just trading both for a gilt 5513.

Anyone else have these thoughts with similar watches? At this point, I'm not really sure if I see the positives of keeping both. I know they're "different" watches, but in the end, they're 40mm date subs from the same time period and feel very much the same on the wrist.
Shawnnyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 04:51 PM   #2
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Maybe trade one for a nice 1675 or 16750?
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 04:53 PM   #3
Vincent65
"TRF" Member

That's because they are very similar (same case), but the dial and hands are very different. Got any photos? I'd keep both. I have a red 1680 and a blue 9411/0 and love both. I would not trade both for a gilt 5513, but that's my taste - yours may differ!
Vincent65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 05:57 PM   #4
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Crusher View Post
It sounds like you've already made up your mind. Maybe trade one for a nice 1675 or 16750?

X2 if it bothers u that much then trade ine or both for another. Personally I wouldn't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2015, 09:53 PM   #5
bluemartinifan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I understand. You need to determine if you are a Rolex "collector" or a Rolex "wearer". I learned I am a wearer in that I am more comfortable wearing my watches (as opposed to collecting/storing) - so I prefer to have a different references to wear for varying occasions.
Sounds like you may be in the same camp.
Consider choosing the one you like best, sell the other and buy a 16750 or other reference.
bluemartinifan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 02:42 AM   #6
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
It's never redundant to have more than one watch; spares are a time honored tradition.
Old 20 January 2015, 03:51 AM   #7
lhanddds
Banned

Watch: of course
In the world of Rolex collecting these watches are distinctly different (different hand, name, colors, etc.) but if they aren't enough different to prevent boredom, you might want to pick up a more different watch, like a GMT. Down the road you may miss one or the other.
lhanddds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 08:46 AM   #8
Frogman4me
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhanddds View Post
In the world of Rolex collecting these watches are distinctly different (different hand, name, colors, etc.) but if they aren't enough different to prevent boredom, you might want to pick up a more different watch, like a GMT. Down the road you may miss one or the other.
I agree Larry
Frogman4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 09:45 AM   #9
roll9
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1016 & 16700
Those two watches look very different to my eye. it does not seem to me to be redundant to own both.
roll9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 January 2015, 10:50 AM   #10
dexvd
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnnyang View Post
Hey guys, I'm very new to the vintage game and began my small collection with a 1680 and a blue 7021 (both unpolished, perfeclty patina'ed and retrofitted with ABC's superdome).

While I love both pieces, I find myself more and more ambivalent as to which I wear on a daily basis. At this point these are my only watches and was thinking of getting rid of one for a bit of diversity or just trading both for a gilt 5513.

Anyone else have these thoughts with similar watches? At this point, I'm not really sure if I see the positives of keeping both. I know they're "different" watches, but in the end, they're 40mm date subs from the same time period and feel very much the same on the wrist.
I am in a similar place with my collection, 4 watches including 2 Rolex. I think the subs are great but too similar too my 1675, if my pepsi 1675 didn't have sentimental value as a watch I inherited from my grandfather after he wore it daily for 33 years (longer than I have been around) I would flip it for a matte 5513 but that not really an option given the circumstances so my next watch (intended to be a daily wearer) will most likely be a Yachtmaster or Daytona as I find they are different enough in appearance from my grandfather's GMT and my 1625 Turn-O-Graph. From my perspective if you already have one of either the Sub, GMT or Seadweller, adding a second should be far down the list after adding a lot of other diversity, unless you don't have the interest in any other brands, dress watches or complications...
dexvd is offline   Reply With Quote