The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 28 May 2016, 12:19 AM   #1
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Is this really circa 1961?

I have owned a watch exactly like this for about 20 years: http://www.watches.co.uk/watch/196f/...recision-6426/

I had always thought it dated from the early fifties. Perhaps someone could confirm? Could anyone suggest an approximate value as well? Mine also has no box or papers, but it runs perfectly. I appreciate its value will be well below the retail price listed in the link above.

Many thanks.
Lakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 03:07 AM   #2
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

Take the band off and you can check the reference number and the serial number between the 12 & 6 lugs. Serial will give you the date, reference will give you the model. As for value there is a lot to consider with vintage; read Philipp's summary of what goes into vintage valuations, its comprehensive but nice and centralized.

http://rolexpassionreport.com/14962/...-buyers-guide/
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 06:55 AM   #3
Base-Z
"TRF" Member

Similar dial to my Air King, which is dated the last quarter of the year 1960.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ak-2.jpg (170.2 KB, 479 views)
Base-Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 08:45 AM   #4
Lakes
"TRF" Member

That does look very similar. I guess the site I found that picture on we're right. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also thanks Tom for the link. I'm a complete amateur here, I just bought this watch from a colleague as I liked the look of it. I had no idea there was so much to look out for

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 28 May 2016, 08:47 AM   #5
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Old 28 May 2016, 09:29 AM   #6
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Lakes, if you get a message saying your photo post is awaiting moderation, please don't repost it half a dozen times. Thanks.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 10:26 AM   #7
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakes View Post
I have owned a watch exactly like this for about 20 years: http://www.watches.co.uk/watch/196f/...recision-6426/

I had always thought it dated from the early fifties. Perhaps someone could confirm? Could anyone suggest an approximate value as well? Mine also has no box or papers, but it runs perfectly. I appreciate its value will be well below the retail price listed in the link above.

Many thanks.
Quote:
That does look very similar. I guess the site I found that picture on we're right. Thanks for clearing that up.

Also thanks Tom for the link. I'm a complete amateur here, I just bought this watch from a colleague as I liked the look of it. I had no idea there was so much to look out for

You have 2 of them? Which one did you just buy from a colleague and which one have you owned for 20 years? Im confused
Old 28 May 2016, 06:22 PM   #8
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Lakes, if you get a message saying your photo post is awaiting moderation, please don't repost it half a dozen times. Thanks.
I posted this on the Tapatalk app which did not give me any message about awaiting moderation or anything else - when I hit reply it just seemed to disappear.
Old 28 May 2016, 06:27 PM   #9
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
You have 2 of them? Which one did you just buy from a colleague and which one have you owned for 20 years? Im confused
I have one of them. You have highlighted part of a sentence to create a different meaning.

I wrote "I just bought this watch from a colleague as I liked the look of it" I used the word just to suggest that it was not a very considered purchase, not that I bought it yesterday. To clarify - I bought this watch from a colleague 20 years ago.
Old 28 May 2016, 08:55 PM   #10
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Considering Tom's link - the luminous paint on the lower half of the dial looks to be in pretty original condition, but the dots of paint on the 11, 1, 2 are more spread out and less defined, suggesting some moisture has got in there.

I'm not aware that the watch has been polished, or had cosmetic work in its life. It certainly hasn't in my 20 years, and the previous owner wouldn't have done so - it had just been sitting in a drawer at the office and ignored.

I assume that this is at the lower end of Rolex watches. Could anyone suggest an approximate value, and whether these are appreciating?

Thanks
Old 28 May 2016, 11:16 PM   #11
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Considering Tom's link - the luminous paint on the lower half of the dial looks to be in pretty original condition, but the dots of paint on the 11, 1, 2 are more spread out and less defined, suggesting some moisture has got in there.

I'm not aware that the watch has been polished, or had cosmetic work in its life. It certainly hasn't in my 20 years, and the previous owner wouldn't have done so - it had just been sitting in a drawer at the office and ignored.

I assume that this is at the lower end of Rolex watches. Could anyone suggest an approximate value, and whether these are appreciating?

Thanks
Google Rolex 6422, click the first link, find one or two in your general condition, subtract 30% for dealer markup, that's your value.

From the looks of things, your white Explorer dial has some incremental value but the examples I have seen have had a rare linen articulated dial which yours lacks, I suspect a refinish years ago.

Some think that the oversized watch trend is at its end and watches less than 40mm are making a comeback. That is meaningful for the 36mm Datejust but the 34mm offerings like this one, my opinion, have always been a tough sell and will continue to be.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2016, 11:52 PM   #12
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Thanks speedolex. That method gives a value in the region of £1,300, which is quite close to what I would have expected.

Also interesting to know about the impact of size on the price.
Old 29 May 2016, 03:42 AM   #13
speedolex
Banned

Quote:
Thanks speedolex. That method gives a value in the region of £1,300, which is quite close to what I would have expected.

Also interesting to know about the impact of size on the price.
Yeah, even the 36mm Datejust is still considered a Ladies size by many people. I myself recently really liked a 34mm Date but it just looked too small on me and I could not do it.

Enjoy the watch if the size suits you or wait another 2-3 years and see if the market bounces back for smaller case sizes.
speedolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2016, 06:11 AM   #14
offrdmania

I think 34mm cases which use a 19mm bracelet tend to wear bigger. Definitely not a ladies size at all
Old 1 June 2016, 06:53 PM   #15
Lakes
"TRF" Member

To me it doesn't feel like a ladies' size either, and I don't have small wrists, but interesting that it may be seen like that. I prefer the more discrete look. That said, I seem to have almost given up wearing a watch these days, now that I'm never far from my phone.

I have been offered £1k by the one dealer I have asked, subject to seeing it, but that appears to be on the low side. I could put it back in the drawer and try again in a decade. Perhaps 34mm will be back in fashion at some point.
Old 30 January 2022, 03:04 AM   #16
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Just checking back in after 6 years rather than the 10 years I suggested in my last post!

Presumably there hasn't been a shift towards interest in 34mm watches? I guess it'll go back in the drawer if not...
Old 30 January 2022, 07:39 AM   #17
offrdmania

Quote:
Just checking back in after 6 years rather than the 10 years I suggested in my last post!

Presumably there hasn't been a shift towards interest in 34mm watches? I guess it'll go back in the drawer if not...
A little more shift in 36mm since Rolex released quite a few more 36mm recently but 34mm are still considered to be on the small side and arent as popular.
Old 30 January 2022, 10:04 AM   #18
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by offrdmania View Post
A little more shift in 36mm since Rolex released quite a few more 36mm recently but 34mm are still considered to be on the small side and arent as popular.
Thank you. Looks like it’s back in the drawer for this one. I’ll check back in a few years!
Old 30 January 2022, 04:42 PM   #19
Woody
"TRF" Member

Prices being asked for 34 mm Oysters, Oyster Dates, Air Kings etc have increased since you first posted back in 2016. If you have a look on e-bay you will see that you will likely have to pay above £2000 to replace your watch and £2500-£3000+ if you were looking to buy from a dealer. I think that the is largely due to the significant increase in prices being asked for Datejusts etc. These are often now over £5000 from a dealer so those looking for an "entry-level" Rolex are switching to the smaller 34 mm models......pushing-up prices accordingly. You have a nice watch which deserves to be worn.
Woody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2022, 02:02 AM   #20
Lakes
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody View Post
Prices being asked for 34 mm Oysters, Oyster Dates, Air Kings etc have increased since you first posted back in 2016. If you have a look on e-bay you will see that you will likely have to pay above £2000 to replace your watch and £2500-£3000+ if you were looking to buy from a dealer. I think that the is largely due to the significant increase in prices being asked for Datejusts etc. These are often now over £5000 from a dealer so those looking for an "entry-level" Rolex are switching to the smaller 34 mm models......pushing-up prices accordingly. You have a nice watch which deserves to be worn.
That's interesting - thank you.

From the thread above, taking into account the dealer's 30% margin, I guess that means that a dealer might pay around £2k, perhaps a little more with luck. I'm not keen on the idea of selling an item of this value on eBay. Can anyone recommend a trustworthy UK dealer or two that could be interested?

Googling brings up watches.co.uk , watchfinder, luxe watches... but I'd appreciate a recommendation.