The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Breitling Discussion Forum

Old 19 March 2016, 05:27 PM   #1
Callummcs
"TRF" Member

Any Aerospace owners?

Hi all

Any here own an Aerospace?

I have been contemplating picking one of these up. Something about them I really like.

Just looking to hear some people's advice on them and how they found scrolling through the digital displays and use of 2nd time zones etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Old 20 March 2016, 12:15 AM   #2
sunnyadnani
"TRF" Member

hi Callum,

Recently purchased an aerospace as a daily wearer/beater.
love the weightlessness, almost forget i'm wearing it.

the scrolling takes some getting used to espically the slow vs fast.
most of the time i get the backlight on before i can get to scrolling through the features.

but once your used to it, all good :)

the features are pretty straight forward you can chose to leave any one function on or none.
love the minute repeater, press it for fun most of the time.

all in all if you can get a good deal on it not a bad watch as a daily beater.

thanks
Sunny
p.s looks great on straps and changes the look completely. got mine on a nato for the moment.
sunnyadnani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 03:57 AM   #3
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
I've owned numerous Aerospace models over the years, still do( I'm wearing one as I type this) I have nothing but positive comments on these models.My favourite is the Avantage Black Tuxedo dial.
Comfortable, handsome, useful, accurate,intuitive.....did I mention comfortable?

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 04:43 AM   #4
rebel_1
"TRF" Member

I've owned one. I ended up trading it. The main reason I traded it was the scrolling feature. I also have an Air Wolf. I just couldn't get comfortable using the crown. At the time, I was also into heavier watches. Now though, I'd be interested in a yellow dial version that was no bigger than 42 mm. If they ever produce this variant, I will buy one again.
rebel_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 09:02 AM   #5
MitchSteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Vintage Rolex
I've read a number of times,guys complaining about the crown.Some say it's difficult to operate.
Here's my method, works great.Place thumb on the side of the case at 8 o'clock position, hook you nose picking finger under the crown and rotate in either direction......no need to grasp the crown with finger and thumb....much faster.

Probability of survival is inversely proportional to the angle of arrival---Capt. Rage

Don't believe anything in aviation, 'till V1---Mitch Danger Steel
MitchSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 10:41 AM   #6
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

i had one for 10 years.. sold it and recently bought a new one about 6 months ago. I like it.. but honestly, I just dont wear it much and thinking of selling mine. It is light and I dont have trouble with the crown. I had trouble with the air wolf. The crown would turn under my sweater. I never felt the air wolf was comfortable either
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2016, 11:05 PM   #7
Callummcs
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the answers guys. I quite fancy picking one up as a daily beater (probably an older version rather than the new ones)

I would certainly have it either on rubber or leather as I don't love the bracelet.
Old 27 March 2016, 11:18 AM   #8
Jim M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 14060M 16622
Icon6 Go for it!

Just picked up one on a whim. Was searching for Omega X-33 info and this model kept popping into references. Found one for right price and went for it. No disappointments. Mastered the single crown with little effort.

Took off rubber strap and put it on a blue Maratac NATO

Old 2 April 2016, 04:16 AM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
Just picked up one on a whim. Was searching for Omega X-33 info and this model kept popping into references. Found one for right price and went for it. No disappointments. Mastered the single crown with little effort.

Took off rubber strap and put it on a blue Maratac NATO

Looks fantastic.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2016, 07:29 AM   #10
TJModz
"TRF" Member

I've had an Aerospace for 13yrs and have worn it almost everyday since. I think it is the perfect travel watch. You can adjust the hour hand only, to display current time zone & there are 2 digital time displays for other time zones, it is thin & very light. Mine is older so the biggest negative is that there is no backlight, but I believe the newer version has backlighting? I don't scroll much, but I use the same technique that MitchSteel described and have had no real issues with it.
With that being said, I recently bought a GMT BLNR & Seiko Astron. Neither is as thin or as light as the Aerospace, but I'm going to start giving the Aerospace a rest. Plus it is fun to watch the Astron acquire the GPS signal & change the time to the new time zone.
TJModz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 April 2016, 10:58 AM   #11
rSm00th
"TRF" Member

Aerospace was my first "real" watch. I really enjoyed it, but I did not like how easily the titanium band and case scratched. I sold it when I started getting into Bell & Ross.
rSm00th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2016, 06:18 PM   #12
Lew Archer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Submariner
Well, if ever there was a tool watch, the Aerospace is it. While my tastes usually run to mechanical watches, there is something to be said about a grab and go watch with a quartz movement.

The Aerospace offers some handy features, though, as others have said, the single crown operation requires practice.

I love a good chronograph...the Omega Speedmaster Professional, Breitling Navitimer and Rolex Daytona all being favorites. I enjoy using the chronograph function. The Daytona is difficult to read in all but overcast light conditions. The Navitimer and Speedmaster are more practical tools in this regard...

However, the Aerospace is the most precise and easy to use chronograph of the bunch!

I like the alarm feature and multiple time zones. A great travel watch, a great adventure watch, yet still a handsome timepiece.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 247.jpg (92.2 KB, 473 views)
Lew Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 09:37 AM   #13
gtopaul
"TRF" Member

The multi-function crown, well, you either love it or hate it. I've had over a dozen Aerospace's over the years and love the light weight but my favorite has to be the original with such a uncluttered, clean, dial.

gtopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 May 2016, 09:44 AM   #14
gtopaul
"TRF" Member

Aerospace

The multi-function crown, you either love it or hate it. I hate it but once everything is set and adjusted, it's acceptable. The light weight has always brought me back. I've had over a dozen Aerospace's over the years but the original is my favorite with it's clean and uncluttered design.

gtopaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 10:27 AM   #15
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Former owner here. I hate that I sold it. I'm gonna get a new one at some point....
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2016, 11:44 PM   #16
matt968
"TRF" Member

I wanted one for many years. Brought it new from an AD, had it for a couple of years. Didn't wear it much as I didn't love it like my others. Its extremely light which is very strange.

Its the one watch I really don't miss at all.
matt968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 June 2016, 04:25 AM   #17
ukflyboy
"TRF" Member

I've warn one as a daily wearer for the past 10+ years. Great watches, incredibly accurate (I reckon mine holds +2 sec/year), incredibly light and very well wearing. Mine has a few scrapes on it from being in some nasty places, but it doesn't effect the look of the titanium a great deal at all. Mine is a pre-backlight one which can be annoying but the lumi holds pretty damned well for just telling the time.
ukflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 June 2016, 02:03 PM   #18
bde
"TRF" Member

Watch: -aholics anonymous
I had an Avantage blue tuxedo dial for a bit, and loved it! I ultimately flipped it for my long sought after Chrono Avenger. I may pick another one up again someday. Great watch!
bde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 July 2016, 05:35 AM   #19
stockae92
"TRF" Member

throughout the generation, is the movement / function stay pretty much the same?
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2016, 11:49 AM   #20
MiGkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2015 ND Submariner
I purchased a new Aerospace 90 days ago from an AD. I'm a Rolex collector, and just haven't bonded with this one. It's a fabulous watch, but I prefer autos.....willing to sell the mint condition piece if you are interested.
MiGkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2016, 03:18 PM   #21
helicopterpilot91
"TRF" Member

What color is the dial?
helicopterpilot91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2016, 07:28 PM   #22
MiGkill
"TRF" Member

Watch: 2015 ND Submariner
Volcanic black
MiGkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 October 2016, 05:54 AM   #23
stockae92
"TRF" Member

Here's mind. Its light and comfortable to wear. Being low profile is an advantage as well. The scrolling works ok most of the time. Just that you need to take your time when setting the time / timer, etc, but it works. The lack of button does makes the case looks nice and simple.

stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 11:23 AM   #24
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

i have the newer model aerospace advantage and worn it once or twice since purchasing earlier this year. I am going to sell. I like it but still too much into mechanical watches to wear a quartz...
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 December 2016, 03:04 PM   #25
JacksonStone
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel_1 View Post
I've owned one. I ended up trading it. The main reason I traded it was the scrolling feature.
Same here, only I've owned two Avantage models, and traded them both for the same reason. They are super comfortable and super accurate. They also are quite handsome, even if some aspects of their finishing betray their slightly lower hierarchical status in Breitling's lineup (e.g., the bezel action, endpiece fit, clasp, etc.) My main gripe, though, was the scrolling. Using a single crown to do everything on the watch made it tricky to manage. I never did master it completely, and frequently ended up doing one thing when I meant to do another. I even found some features downright impossible to use, which obviously defeats the purpose of having them at all.

I also thought Breitling wasted an opportunity using the upper display only for telling us what feature is being utilized in the lower display. Why not have both displays do something functional? For instance, as it stands, you can have the lower display show the date and day, or date and seconds, but not date, day and seconds. I thought it would have been great if the upper display could have been used to enable showing all three.

Which leads me to another issue: with the exception of the two analog hands and the bezel, all of the Aerospace's complex functionality is due to it being a digital watch. In light of that, it does very little that my Timex Ironman doesn't do better, with much better designed controls. Granted, the Aerospace looks a lot cooler, and carries a prestige factor and dressability no low-end digital watch does. Whether that makes it worth several grand is up to the individual. I decided it didn't, although it took me two tries to finally make up my mind on that.
JacksonStone is offline   Reply With Quote