The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 February 2017, 05:30 AM   #1
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Good non-Speedy Pro Speedy?

Got an itch to give the Speedmaster another try. I didn't bond the last time I got the 3570.50.

Plus my BIL just got the Speedy Pro, so don't want to be wearing the same watch every time we have a family get together.

So what would be your favorite Speedmaster "variant"? I do love the Snoopy models, but definitely more than I want to spend, I'd like to keep my outlay around what the Speedy Pro goes for.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 08:17 AM   #2
arcadelt
"TRF" Member

Many of the popular limited or special Speedmaster Pro editions attract a premium over the 3570.50, so they might not suit you. Of the others, I quite like some of the '57 automatics and Racing models. Perhaps if you tell us what aspects of the Moonwatch you didn't connect with we might be able to narrow it down - they all have roughly the same shape and layout, so was it the complications, the size, the colour, the number of subdials, etc?
arcadelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 08:28 AM   #3
the dark knight
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadelt View Post
Many of the popular limited or special Speedmaster Pro editions attract a premium over the 3570.50, so they might not suit you. Of the others, I quite like some of the '57 automatics and Racing models. Perhaps if you tell us what aspects of the Moonwatch you didn't connect with we might be able to narrow it down - they all have roughly the same shape and layout, so was it the complications, the size, the colour, the number of subdials, etc?
Good question. Honestly, it might just have been expectation. At the time the watch was so talked up that I bought it expecting a borderline religious experience, so it was a bit of a let down in that regard. That's my fault.

In terms of the watch itself... probably the size (42mm wore a tad large on my wrist) and the dial color.
the dark knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 09:00 AM   #4
wb55
"TRF" Member

The 39.5mm speedy 'first omega in space' which comes on the leather strap?
wb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 09:08 AM   #5
psv
"TRF" Member

The newest one with hesalite glass and big box for under $4,000 - cannot go wrong with that choice. I mean, how often to do you see your BIL? If so, wear another watch that day. Or buy a vintage one.
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 10:00 AM   #6
sensui
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dark knight View Post
Good question. Honestly, it might just have been expectation. At the time the watch was so talked up that I bought it expecting a borderline religious experience, so it was a bit of a let down in that regard. That's my fault.

In terms of the watch itself... probably the size (42mm wore a tad large on my wrist) and the dial color.
Heh, you must have read some intense incoming threads to build that kind of expectation for a watch.....good luck with your next one though....People talk about the Speedmaster like it's an integral part of every watch collection etc etc.....IMO it is a great watch with a great heritage and I'm one of those that has been "sucked in" and "get it." Hence why I own 11 of them and still buying more....But I know of many that don't like it and sadly get sold on that mythical saying that a Speedmaster needs to be a part in every watch collection....that's totally false and IMO, not everyone needs a chronograph either in their collection.

If you actually like the Speedmaster and want one.....and feel that the size and dial color is the issue....I think you might need to look elsewhere. You can go with the reduced models but there is just something wrong with that Speedmaster Pro classic look but with an automatic movement...I've rarely seen guys that don't regret/stick with the reduced model. The First Omega in Space type cases (39.5/40mm) wear the same as the Professional (42mm) and the reduction in size is really due to the the crown guards....watch dial wears exactly the same size.

Dial color is easy to fix.....as you've now known there's been many versions/limited editions of speedmasters so you can pick and choose your liking....But it really sounds like you should be looking at another watch IMO....not just a Speedmaster because everyone else tells you how great it is....wear the watch you like and want.
sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 01:07 PM   #7
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

I agree with the others...if not the classic moonwatch, I'd go first omega in space
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 01:31 PM   #8
ElGancho
"TRF" Member

I don't know what your style is, but if you want something a bit more funky go with a mark II. If you want something even cooler and auto mark III with a grey dial.
ElGancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2017, 01:46 AM   #9
mdgrwl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Dealer
FOIS or 57' Speedmasters for sure if not the Moonwatch
mdgrwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2017, 02:10 AM   #10
Wesley Crusher
"TRF" Member

DSOTM. It's a modern classic, imo.
Wesley Crusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2017, 05:41 AM   #11
wisguy
"TRF" Member

First Omega in Space

Or get in line for a Speedy Tuesday edition, far fetched but possible.
Old 10 February 2017, 11:02 PM   #12
Nathan_Barnes
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710LN
Have you considered the speedy reduced. 3510.50, 3539.50. These are 39mm but wear nicely. They are automatic and have a charm of their own. It's worth a look!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nathan_Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote