The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 20 August 2015, 05:23 AM   #31
HarlyFan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona & Sub
Did you ever get an answer to your question. I am wondering the same thing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
Can/will an AD run a serial number to confirm legitimacy of a watch and whether or not it is "missing" from someone's collection?
HarlyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 August 2015, 12:36 AM   #32
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlyFan View Post
Did you ever get an answer to your question. I am wondering the same thing!
No, they don't have access to that info. Only a RSC does.

Sent from my phone.

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Vanessa CW21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2015, 12:59 AM   #33
Ccjacapital
"TRF" Member

Let me throw in my 2 cents I have been a watch buyer for 12 years I always look for the small things first crowns pin hole cut outs dial and if I'm not satisfied I'll open the case. The good tools only run about 200.00 dollars the replicas are getting better the new clones do have rolex markings on the inside of the movement and they come with box ,warranty card here is a pic of a clone movement I was shocked to see it in person it would fool some people. If you are not a pro when it comes to spotting a fake take the watch to an AD I have seen pawn shops and some jewelry stores in my town be fooled by some of these clones. It's a shame seeing people be ripped off with these fake watches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (118.1 KB, 742 views)
Ccjacapital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 September 2015, 05:23 AM   #34
tritium8
"TRF" Member

Watch: 216570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
No, they don't have access to that info. Only a RSC does.

Sent from my phone.
Thanks
tritium8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 September 2015, 06:04 AM   #35
Ccjacapital
"TRF" Member

Don't get fooled by the clone rolex

image.jpgI have been buying watches as a hobby for the past 12 years if you know what your looking for it's pretty easy but if you haven't seen a lot of rolex watches your better off going to an AD or a good watchmaker. I just ran a crossed one of the clone rolex watches I could tell from the get go it was a fake the crown on the dial was not right but was pretty close be very careful as the fakes are getting better here is a picture of the clone movement it's pretty close but does not fit the same in the case. There have been a couple of pawn shops in my town that have purchased them not knowing. So I'm showing this pic to hopefully help people from getting ripped off.
Old 5 September 2015, 01:20 PM   #36
Cabernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
Could you upload a crisp high quality photo?
Cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 September 2015, 08:58 PM   #37
badass09
"TRF" Member

Watch: ROLEX 116613LBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ccjacapital View Post
Attachment 657286I have been buying watches as a hobby for the past 12 years if you know what your looking for it's pretty easy but if you haven't seen a lot of rolex watches your better off going to an AD or a good watchmaker. I just ran a crossed one of the clone rolex watches I could tell from the get go it was a fake the crown on the dial was not right but was pretty close be very careful as the fakes are getting better here is a picture of the clone movement it's pretty close but does not fit the same in the case. There have been a couple of pawn shops in my town that have purchased them not knowing. So I'm showing this pic to hopefully help people from getting ripped off.
Haha.. the moment i saw the 750 stamping on a steel case already tells me this watch is fake.. but the movement is quite convincing.. but under a loupe everything will come to light on that movement..
badass09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 02:18 PM   #38
firefisher
"TRF" Member

Watch: 98 Daytona Zenith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
I've seen fake cases with genuine Rolex movements and I've seen genuine Rolex cases with fake movements... You need a lot of experience to notice the difference in some cases. Buy from an AD if you want to be 100% sure.

Wow very impressive video. I wish I could do that.
firefisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 09:08 PM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by J!m View Post
This is why original boxes and papers add so much value to a potential purhase. Assuming all the numbers and refrences match, it is another piece of the puzzle to assure you have a genuine watch.

But, if you can't tell for sure, either be happy with what you (think) you have, or get it checked by an expert. Most ADs (Authorized Dealers) will authenticate a watch, and sometimes set a value for insurance purposes. I use a custom jeweler for my Wife's jewelry and every time we visit they check all the stones and photograph the pieces and keep it on file forever. Not all ADs/jewelers do that sort of thing, but if you are not sure, always check!
In the real world boxes and bits of paper/plastic cards are far easier to fake than the actually watch.So never rely on these items to prove authenticity of any watch unless bought from a 100% reliable source.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 December 2015, 10:44 PM   #40
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
RSC Toronto will authenticate any Rolex for $125.00 (cdn funds).
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 July 2016, 12:13 PM   #41
RichardF
"TRF" Member

Over the years I have seen many Rolex watches that have been tampered with. in the late 80's and 90's you had to deal with stainless Rolex's being converted to SS/18kt with after market dials being applied. When I worked for an authorized Rolex Dealer I saw a lot of co workers taking in bad Rolex's for service because they did not know what they were doing or how to identify a compromised Rolex. The converted Rolex watches that were sent to the RSC usually ended up having Rolex seize the part and require the owner to purchase the authentic Rolex part in order to get the watch back. Especially if the Rolex had a counterfeit part such as a dial or band with Rolex markings on it. They were really enforcing the trademark infringement laws a while back.
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 06:27 PM   #42
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If you can't recognise a fake without opening the caseback (no shame in that at all) then you should stick to Authorised and/or highly reputable sellers.
When buying a watch I 100% agree with you Adam but there are some seriously scary fakes.

We recently had a client come in with a ceramic sub, it had a broken stem and needed a quick fix. It went through my hands and the hands of several other watchmakers and knowledgable people and we discovered it was a fake when the caseback was opened.

The thing was 98% accurate on the outside but the movement was where it got obvious. Then when we were looking with a loupe and really checking the dial and case you could definitely see it was fake but only if you have a trained eye.
SearChart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 06:35 PM   #43
MonBK
Banned

Wow, a 2 page long thread about fakes!
MonBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 July 2016, 11:43 PM   #44
joli160
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Confirms number one rule; buy the seller
Old 11 July 2016, 01:18 AM   #45
Cabernet
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
This is good advice in most pursuits!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Confirms number one rule; buy the seller
Cabernet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 02:42 AM   #46
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

There are reasonably priced tools available for the casual user. This LG case opener has opened everything I've put in it but if I had any trouble at all I would take the job to a pro. I opened a 1976 Tudor 7020 I'm pretty sure hadn't been opened since new.

You need a couple of accessories to make it work properly. That round base is required unless you have a vise to stabilize it. And the plastic watch holder is much better than the metal one that comes with it.

This is a bezel remover that is quite reasonable and is easy to use and doesn't damage the watch or bezel. Of course, you'll need a bezel press to go with it. These are not professional quality tools but for a careful duffer they do just fine.

As always, use at your own risk.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 July 2016, 03:45 AM   #47
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvmartin View Post
Always Always Always open the case back to check out the movement or have it opened by the dealer. Fake ETA movements exist that fit Rolex cases and you cannot always be sure that your seller has done this prior.
Why not just fake the Rolex movement?
Old 11 July 2016, 05:58 AM   #48
sitka39
"TRF" Member

Regardless of whether I'd be buying from a guy on the street or a dealer I will always want to see the movement.

Would you buy a car without checking it out first ?
sitka39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 August 2016, 01:52 AM   #49
Ccjacapital
"TRF" Member

Rolex clone movement

image.jpgI would recommend taking the watch to an expert. Now there are fakes going around that come with box and papers the movement it self would prabobly pass to some people I took a pic of the last clone Rolex to share on here.
Old 10 October 2016, 05:33 AM   #50
Harpo
"TRF" Member

Bit of a noob question.....
If one opens the case does that mean the watertight seal is compromised?
Harpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 October 2016, 08:04 AM   #51
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
Bit of a noob question.....
If one opens the case does that mean the watertight seal is compromised?
No, it doesn't. But it could. I would not submerge a watch if the case has been opened without a pressure test.
Old 16 October 2016, 02:05 AM   #52
Bill_H
"TRF" Member

Watch: SD4K
I looked a bit into how a Rolex can be authenticated before getting mine and did some "counterintelligence" on the fakes. Some fakes are using the Yuki 3135, A3135 and the SA3135 movements. They are getting close, but even in photos you can tell that the finish is rougher on the fakes.

Here is an A3135

Bill_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 05:10 AM   #53
gabrielc
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub,Dj4,dd,daytona
Sea Dweller 116600

fake vs original
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rolex.jpg (87.2 KB, 349 views)
gabrielc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 09:34 AM   #54
louisem
"TRF" Member

Be very careful, there are some very good fakes out there selling as used Rolex. It comes with the box, paper with matching serial numbers. They even come with an insurance valuation report to trick you into thinking it's genuine. If you're not an expert, best to stay clear of used Rolex from auction sites and only buy from an authorised dealer.
louisem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2016, 09:59 AM   #55
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
For a first poster you are giving advice that is not quite accurate. There are some Trusted Sellers on this site who sell BNIB watches that came from ADs.

Welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by louisem View Post
Be very careful, there are some very good fakes out there selling as used Rolex. It comes with the box, paper with matching serial numbers. They even come with an insurance valuation report to trick you into thinking it's genuine. If you're not an expert, best to stay clear of used Rolex from auction sites and only buy from an authorised dealer.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 October 2016, 10:14 PM   #56
stray_cat
"TRF" Member

Watch: one on the wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_H View Post
I looked a bit into how a Rolex can be authenticated before getting mine and did some "counterintelligence" on the fakes. Some fakes are using the Yuki 3135, A3135 and the SA3135 movements. They are getting close, but even in photos you can tell that the finish is rougher on the fakes.
Do any of them come with the microstella weights on the balance to regulate timekeeping? Looks like this one does not.

Definitely buy the seller first, specially if he/she can tell you (and show) it came from an AD, otherwise taking it to an AD to open the case and verify authenticity is best. If a seller refuses to allow checking it, or refund if fake, pass!

I've acquired a few pieces and get a really good feel of authenticity by first talking and meeting with the seller. (knocks on wood) They have mostly been original owners who purchased from an AD. Couple of them I did not even open, no need when you know the seller is legit and purchased new from an AD. The ones I did open later for giggles were all authentic. Never a worry when dealing with great people. When I get evasive answers with excuses or hearsay provenance, I tell them goodbye and have a nice day. Why bother?
stray_cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2017, 11:47 PM   #57
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritium8 View Post
Can/will an AD run a serial number to confirm legitimacy of a watch and whether or not it is "missing" from someone's collection?
Yes before I bought my submariner I called Rolex Australia who confirmed serial etc

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 February 2017, 11:21 PM   #58
BravoOne
Banned

About ten years ago my AD who I had bought several Rolex watches from, told me that Rolex was working close with a Silicon Valley company to develop a internal branding technique for identifying a genuine Rolex watch. Has anyone heard about this before?
I'm sure if this had been perfected we would have known about it by now?
BravoOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 February 2017, 12:13 AM   #59
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
If you can't recognise a fake without opening the caseback (no shame in that at all) then you should stick to Authorised and/or highly reputable sellers.
This.
Old 12 March 2017, 08:18 PM   #60
Sweetswisssteel
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126618LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetswisssteel View Post
Yes before I bought my submariner I called Rolex Australia who confirmed serial etc

Quick update. Spoke to RSC, this only applies for watches sold with plastic swiped warranty cards. An older watch with the warranty certificate will only show in RSC datAbase if it's been serviced.

Sweetswisssteel is offline   Reply With Quote