The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 17 January 2015, 06:02 AM   #1
Benward5
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334 DatejustII
Question about 1979

I recently bought my first rolex to create an heirloom for my newborn son.(116334DJII). My plan is to buy a rolex for the birth of any children I have that will be passed down. If we have a girl next I guess my wife gets to join the party. That got me thinking that it would be great to add something from my birth year of 1979. I would love an explorer II but looking at them they seem to be out of my price range. Any suggestions on something I could get at a reasonable price that would be a good addition to the collection? I am wanting a sports watch I currently have a 116334 Datejust II, Tag Link, and aHamilton Khaki Field Automatic. Any advice would be appreciated!
Benward5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 06:12 AM   #2
RazorD
"TRF" Member

Great idea and way to justify addign to the collection. Not sure your price range, but I've seen some 1979 Subs and GMTs kicking around for sale lately. If those are too pricey, maybe look at the Datejusts or Explorer (I).
RazorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 06:40 AM   #3
Benward5
"TRF" Member

I would like to be in the 6-10 range. Not sure if possible but i don't know much about vintage reference.
Old 17 January 2015, 06:51 AM   #4
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benward5 View Post
I would like to be in the 6-10 range. Not sure if possible but i don't know much about vintage reference.
You can spend up to $10K? Well, you have some great options. A Sub 5513 or GMT 1675, for starters. You could actually spend less than your budget and get a nice example from 1979. With a bit of a budget stretch you might even be able to find a decent Sea-Dweller 1665. Good luck!
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2015, 07:14 AM   #5
Benward5
"TRF" Member

Less than 6k for a nice piece would be great. Really love the explorer 1 or a gmt. Just trying to narrow down what to look for.