The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 8 February 2017, 02:17 AM   #1
psv
"TRF" Member

DC's last AP AD to close

Since we kind of discussed this on a separate Rolex thread I thought we might as well make it more broadly available.

Lenkersdorfer (owned by Liljenquist & Beckstead) in Tyson's Corner has lost their AP AD status. From what I can tell, they are not even sure why as they had a really good placement in the store and I think they did a decent amount of business. Nor did they provide heavy discounts that undermine the brand, but still.

The closest AP AD is now Govberg in Philadelphia, PA.

Somehow I doubt that AP will open up a boutique in the DC area, but who knows that they are up to?
psv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 02:45 AM   #2
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Since we kind of discussed this on a separate Rolex thread I thought we might as well make it more broadly available.

Lenkersdorfer (owned by Liljenquist & Beckstead) in Tyson's Corner has lost their AP AD status. From what I can tell, they are not even sure why as they had a really good placement in the store and I think they did a decent amount of business. Nor did they provide heavy discounts that undermine the brand, but still.

The closest AP AD is now Govberg in Philadelphia, PA.

Somehow I doubt that AP will open up a boutique in the DC area, but who knows that they are up to?
Seems a surprising move not to have an AD in DC!

More important question....do they have any decent models in stock that they are likely to discount now?
christianj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 03:45 AM   #3
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by christianj View Post

More important question....do they have any decent models in stock that they are likely to discount now?
Last time I was in the had the new Safari, white-dial Diver, and a few more. Call them. I assume they are pretty motivated to sell them, however, don't expect totally crazy discounts as some people some to do online, they are a long time and respectable ADs (Rolex, Patek, IWC, JLC, Cartier, Omega, Breitling, Panerai, etc) with an expensive location, I don't think they will be giving them away.
Old 8 February 2017, 03:46 AM   #4
phalen302
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
AP overall is becoming an expensive Breitling, consumers don't buy it till it is heavily discounted.

No surprise that they are losing the AP license, demand is weak and incentives are not that great.
phalen302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 04:00 AM   #5
Marciano490
"TRF" Member

When I lived in DC I wanted to open a watch store on M street. It's a very rich town, with no ADs very close.
Marciano490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 04:15 AM   #6
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by phalen302 View Post
AP overall is becoming an expensive Breitling, consumers don't buy it till it is heavily discounted.
I would say in today's market consumers (or at least educated consumers like all of us on TRF) hope to get discounts on almost all brands so comparing AP to Breitling doesn't make much sense to me. We know that some brands and models within certain brands go for list (or close to list) but we still strive to get the best deals out there regardless of on a Breitling, AP or Patek.
Old 8 February 2017, 04:18 AM   #7
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I'm no insider but do know that what I believe was the only AD in Indiana "lost" AP last year too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 04:23 AM   #8
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Sorry to hear this.

In Seattle - there's no AP AD either.

I have to go to San Francisco or to another country - Canada to visit the nearest ADs.

There's plenty of $$$ around here - i think it's a mistake on APs part but hey - it's their business to run as they see fit.
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 04:29 AM   #9
5Zigen
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: PP, AP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by lig View Post
Sorry to hear this.

In Seattle - there's no AP AD either.

I have to go to another country :D - Canada or San Francisco to visit an AD.

There's plenty of $$$ around here - i think it's a mistake on APs part but hey - it's their business to run as they see fit.
I am surprised too to see Seattle not having an AP AD considering the type of consumers that are in the Pacific Northwest.

I guess you can always drive a few hours up the I-5 and visit the 2 locations in Vancouver.
5Zigen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 04:47 AM   #10
masyv6
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I would say in today's market consumers (or at least educated consumers like all of us on TRF) hope to get discounts on almost all brands so comparing AP to Breitling doesn't make much sense to me. We know that some brands and models within certain brands go for list (or close to list) but we still strive to get the best deals out there regardless of on a Breitling, AP or Patek.
I agree entirely. In the Richard Mille thread on this forum, there has been recent discussion about discounts tightening up due to RM playing with the dealer margins.

If you think brands that offer a discount are going the way of Breitling, you will have a hard time finding many, if any, brands to buy.
masyv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 05:01 AM   #11
racer24
Banned

FYI, Lenkersdorfer was the one terminating the contract with AP, not the other way around. the reason was that Lenkersdorfer was not getting enough allocations from AP, and they are frustrated. they said AP breached the contract. As for discount, you can get around 25% for all pieces they have. Too bad they don't have RG 44. I bet AP will find another AD in the area to fill the gap between North Carolina and Phil.
racer24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 05:07 AM   #12
racer24
Banned

Quote:

the couple decent ones are FC 44mm and safari. you can get probably between 23%-25% if you do cash. This place does not like to do discounts so 23-25 is unheard of for them.
Old 8 February 2017, 05:08 AM   #13
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
industry down trend, store isnt perfoming why have inventory there.

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 05:09 AM   #14
psv
"TRF" Member

Thanks for filling that in, Daniel. Yes, inventory on the sought-after model was always a challenge for Lenkersdorfer.

I wonder who could fill their shoes? Tiny Jewel box just got Patek to round out their Rolex, Cartier, JLC, and IWC collection. Tourneau is up for sale and doing really poorly so that would be out of the question. Maybe Radcliffe up in Towson, MD?

Come to think of it, there is Blancpain AD in the area either...
Old 8 February 2017, 05:29 AM   #15
kaiserphoenix
"TRF" Member

Watch: FPJ CO BL
Also AP seems to be doing a lot of boutique editions and new releases are available at boutiques far far quicker. Even in London, an AD recently closed as well. I think they are really reducing the outlets.
F.P.Journe Chronometre Optimum Black Label, Patek 5811G-001, A. Lange & Söhne Lange 1 191.039, Patek 5167A-001, Rolex Yacht-Master 40 Everrose, (Wh) Rolex Daytona 116500, (Blue) Rolex Skydweller 326934, Rolex Submariner 126610LV

IG: tokyo_watch_guy
kaiserphoenix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 06:18 AM   #16
racer24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by psv View Post
Thanks for filling that in, Daniel. Yes, inventory on the sought-after model was always a challenge for Lenkersdorfer.

I wonder who could fill their shoes? Tiny Jewel box just got Patek to round out their Rolex, Cartier, JLC, and IWC collection. Tourneau is up for sale and doing really poorly so that would be out of the question. Maybe Radcliffe up in Towson, MD?

Come to think of it, there is Blancpain AD in the area either...
now that you mention it, I can't think of any local store that can fill their shoes. maybe AP can open their own boutique. Lenkersdorfer will be undergo major renovation in summer, so they will be closed for couple months. I am hoping they can add VC since they already carry many brands from richemont group.
Old 8 February 2017, 06:18 AM   #17
jschmidtdmd
"TRF" Member

^ they have too, their secondary prices are not strong
Old 8 February 2017, 07:49 AM   #18
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer24 View Post
FYI, Lenkersdorfer was the one terminating the contract with AP, not the other way around. the reason was that Lenkersdorfer was not getting enough allocations from AP, and they are frustrated. they said AP breached the contract. As for discount, you can get around 25% for all pieces they have. Too bad they don't have RG 44. I bet AP will find another AD in the area to fill the gap between North Carolina and Phil.
They will do 25%? No way. They never do more than 15%. They been holding the same inventory for 2 years. That kinda sucks they are terminating their contract. Where the hell am I going to go now to try on APs before I buy them? lol.

You sure it was because they didn't get good allocations? They pretty much got every AP except the really rare and crazy ones. I think the most expensive one I ever saw there was the brick.

Maybe lalienquest in tysons 2 should just take the AP. I know they gave AP to Lenkersdorfter and Hublot to lalinquest because they didn't want Lenkersdorfter to get zero traffic. Because tysons 1 is the cheap mall where tysons 2 is the high end shopping.

I think if they put the AP in the tysons 2 location they would have less issues selling. Lots of arabs with lots of money walking around tysons 2, and majority of people are ignorant to the deals you can get on AP. When you have that kind of money why care?
jem7v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 07:54 AM   #19
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
now that you mention it, I can't think of any local store that can fill their shoes. maybe AP can open their own boutique. Lenkersdorfer will be undergo major renovation in summer, so they will be closed for couple months. I am hoping they can add VC since they already carry many brands from richemont group.
I doubt AP will open a store in DC. We are too conservative here. The lobbyist and politicians won't buy AP. They are more likely to buy rolex or patek. They want something simple and showy at the same time. Honestly you really have to love watches to like AP, hublot, or RM.

If anything AP should open another boutique in LA before DC. LA, NY, bal harbour are the correct places to start.

Lalinquest in tysons 2 is the only place I can see of as being an AD. But since it was a sister store to Lenkersdorfer looks like AP is gone from here.
Old 8 February 2017, 08:24 AM   #20
RobearH
Banned

Watch: 126710 BLRO
Quote:
Just got off the phone with sales rep and no divers currently in stock. He stated down to maybe 2-3 watches in total.
RobearH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 08:40 AM   #21
racer24
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
I doubt AP will open a store in DC. We are too conservative here. The lobbyist and politicians won't buy AP. They are more likely to buy rolex or patek. They want something simple and showy at the same time. Honestly you really have to love watches to like AP, hublot, or RM.

If anything AP should open another boutique in LA before DC. LA, NY, bal harbour are the correct places to start.

Lalinquest in tysons 2 is the only place I can see of as being an AD. But since it was a sister store to Lenkersdorfer looks like AP is gone from here.

I thought they were doing very well. as you said it, lots of people in tysons. I was there on sunday to pay my new rolex. 3 people walked in, and brought 3 APs before I finished my transaction. one thing I love about the place is I don't pay sales tax. I pay in store and the courier deliver to me the next day. I live on the MD side.
Old 8 February 2017, 09:51 AM   #22
psv
"TRF" Member

Lenkersdorfer has the same owner and Liljenquist & Beckstead. There is no difference. Lenkersdorfer is the maiden name of the wife of the owner of L&B. They share inventory. There are some brands only carried at one store but that is just to differentiate a bit (and L&B has stores in MD so MD'ers won't be able to do tax-free there).

Both L and L&B has some great staff that is quite knowledgeable. The main issue that there is a lot of high-rollers in the area so it is hard to get on the list for coveted watches.
Old 8 February 2017, 11:42 AM   #23
improviz
"TRF" Member

Watch: your step
Quote:
Originally Posted by phalen302 View Post

No surprise that they are losing the AP license, demand is weak and incentives are not that great.
Any proof that demand is weak, or that customers don't buy it until it is heavily discounted, or are you just making it up as you go along? Troll much?
116520 white; 16613 black; 116710; 16570 polar; 16600. AP 15400; 15703. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms. Glashutte Sport Evo GMT. Omega Planet Ocean 2907.50.91; Planet Ocean Liquidmetal LE 222.30.42.20.01.001; Seamaster 2255.80.00. Breitling Crosswind, white. Panerai PAM 005. VC Overseas Chrono, black.
improviz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 01:52 PM   #24
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I was there last week and 44 FC was the only remotely desirable piece left. Staff has always been very kind to me there. Not sure what AP is doing. Plenty of wealth in the area...sign of the times if I have ever seen one. Times are tough.
GB-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 03:26 PM   #25
Hairdude1
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP,PP, Rolex
My AD here just relocated and dedicated at least 40% of their retail to AP, while the reaming is for the other brands. It looks similar to the NY boutique.

16750, 26401, 5711, 116718, 116710LN, 116300, 16710"Coke", 372, 15300, 15703 (All Flipped)
Official Member "Perpetual 30" Las Vegas GTG 2016
Official Member "WIS-CON" Las Vegas International GTG 2017
Official Member 'WIS-CON' Las Vegas Int'l GTG 2018
Hairdude1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 February 2017, 05:14 PM   #26
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
AP boutique is probably in the plans? More boutiques would suite the brand better than ADs
Old 8 February 2017, 11:02 PM   #27
jem7v
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
I was there last week and 44 FC was the only remotely desirable piece left. Staff has always been very kind to me there. Not sure what AP is doing. Plenty of wealth in the area...sign of the times if I have ever seen one. Times are tough.
Again as I said before. DC is very conservative. They don't buy AP. I think I've seen like 3 AP in the wild in my life in this area. One was 44RG, the very first one I saw was the previous openworked 39mm, and maybe 3 weeks ago I saw a guy with a safari.

We are the only area in the US where you pay 2m for a row house/condo that is an old piece of sh** and people actually prefer it to a modern/contemporary home.

And that goes for Bethesda and Potomac in Maryland as well. At least in VA if you pay that kind of money you get something nice.

Well actually in New York you can get an old piece of sh** condo for 2m, but at least in NY you make money on it. Where as in DC you make nothing unless you sit on it for 10 years.
Old 8 February 2017, 11:58 PM   #28
christianj
Banned

Quote:
Interesting that the AD terminated the relationship!

I am a regular longtime customer of Radcliffe and I could see them trying to get AP added to their assortment. It would make sense as Radcliffe is in the same group as Govberg and they would be the next AD up 95. In the end it really depends on if it makes sense for Radcliffe to seek out an AP AD position or if it is easier for them to source watches for their clients from Govberg if they want an AP.

On the other hand, I could see an AP Boutique in the Tysons Corner shopping area as a real possibility...there's definitely enough money (and lots of foreign money) in the area surrounding Vienna.
Old 9 February 2017, 12:10 AM   #29
phalen302
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by improviz View Post
Any proof that demand is weak, or that customers don't buy it until it is heavily discounted, or are you just making it up as you go along? Troll much?
AP I series are sitting on AD shelf or on sale on various websites w/ good discounts. Have you seen any one purchasing an AP at face value? or 5-10% discount? Discounts are more like 25-30% range for new on sale by trusted sellers i.e. Davidsw...wonder what they pay for it?
phalen302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 February 2017, 12:20 AM   #30
psv
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem7v View Post
Again as I said before. DC is very conservative. They don't buy AP. I think I've seen like 3 AP in the wild in my life in this area. One was 44RG, the very first one I saw was the previous openworked 39mm, and maybe 3 weeks ago I saw a guy with a safari.

We are the only area in the US where you pay 2m for a row house/condo that is an old piece of sh** and people actually prefer it to a modern/contemporary home.

And that goes for Bethesda and Potomac in Maryland as well. At least in VA if you pay that kind of money you get something nice.

Well actually in New York you can get an old piece of sh** condo for 2m, but at least in NY you make money on it. Where as in DC you make nothing unless you sit on it for 10 years.
DC Metro area is extremely conservative and "small town-ish" when it comes to watches, or pretty much anything that can be construed as a display of wealth/success - apart from houses! The bigger, the better!

I owned a gold GMT for a short while - my wife hated it, it just doesn't work in DC.