The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 22 March 2024, 09:42 AM   #1
nichols.g@rogers.com
"TRF" Member

Could use some expert advice!

I have a 1680 Rolex Submariner (a Red Rolex) that I bought in 1973 and have worn it for past 50 years except for when it has been into Rolex for servicing, cleaning, etc. Have the original band, box, papers, anchor, wax seal etc. Last year I lost the bezel, it popped off somewhere and my search has been futile. I can take it back to Rolex in Toronto and have them replace the bezel and likely will. My search for an original Mark IV bezel has been unsuccessful. Question is how much does a replacement bezel impact on the value of the watch and what are the realistic chances of locating an original bezel? *Appreciate any help I can get.
nichols.g@rogers.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 10:27 AM   #2
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It should not be terribly hard to find the correct insert, if you're willing to pay $2k-$3k USD. They are around. You will also need a bezel ring, which could be another $1k. Not sure where you are getting the MkIV from, but if you have good high-res photos of the old insert, people can help you identify it and then you can post a WTB thread or contact some of the people who have vintage parts. Of course, if the original dial/hands etc. were replaced at a previous RSC service, it might not be worth trying to restore the correct insert, so photos of the entire watch would also be helpful.
Old 22 March 2024, 10:29 AM   #3
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Welcome to the forum. I’d love love to see a photo of your Submariner
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 04:49 AM   #4
designer_wrench
"TRF" Member

If you've owned the watch for 50+ years, I personally wouldn't be too worried about resale value. You could always get a replacement bezel and set up an ebay alert / post here "in search of" for the bezel you're hunting for. I'd think the sentimental value here is the important thing.
designer_wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 12:07 PM   #5
hutch300
2024 Pledge Member

Dan gave you very good advice. In the event you want to go after a bezel and it makes sense we can suggest some people who could help you. Welcome and lets see some pictures!
hutch300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2024, 01:41 PM   #6
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Some good advice from Dan and some photos would definitely help
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2024, 08:19 AM   #7
0nly5iv3Digits
"TRF" Member

Watch: Got a Few :)
As noted above, a service insert will diminish the value of the watch fairly significantly...by several grand or so for sure.

If you've had it since new, you're likely not too concerned about taking a bit of a "hit" on the resale considering you're up several thousand percent on your investment (although inflation will have certainly chewed away at the real value appreciation...).

The way I see this, if you want it to be "correct" and just wear the watch, you're going to re-coup those funds spent on a period-correct insert once you decide to sell the watch. But if you're not looking to sell, you're out of pocket 3-5K USD for a small piece of aluminum.

I'd just get a service insert, honestly.

UNpolished or I’m not interested” 😎
2FA Enabled
0nly5iv3Digits is offline   Reply With Quote