The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 5 April 2024, 02:29 PM   #1
Andrewwatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Vintage oyster perpetual

Hello, I found a watch that I really like. I tried a few on and this one stood out. My concern is whether it is correct or not. I was told that it is from the 1950's and is a bubble back. I did not look at the movement and don't have any other info. I have searched for information and I am unable to find a watch that shares these exact features. Can anyone help?
Andrewwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 11:21 PM   #2
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
Start by posting some photos.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2024, 11:34 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

We can take a look if you post good photos. Use the Go Advanced and then Manage Attachments features. You will need to size the photos according to the instructions.

Be warned that most bubble-backs are pretty small.
Old 6 April 2024, 12:30 AM   #4
Andrewwatch
"TRF" Member

Sorry about that! I got an error message when I attempted to post and didn't think it went through. Here is a photo of the watch that I tried on in the store. It was about 34mm. I searched for quite a bit last night and couldn't find any reference numbers that matched all these features. Also, sorry for the glare on the photo as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Watch R.jpg (281.2 KB, 140 views)
Old 6 April 2024, 12:56 AM   #5
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Great looking watch. I don't know the exact reference, but when searching, it's not important to match the features of the dial. The reference basically refers to structural features: case shape, movement, etc. Each reference came with many different dial and hand combinations. If you have more photos from other angles, it might help us identify it. At least we could confirm whether it is a bubble-back. Obviously, it would have been helpful to read the reference number between the lugs.
Old 6 April 2024, 07:23 AM   #6
Andrewwatch
"TRF" Member

1952 6084?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_5950.jpeg (132.0 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpeg IMG_5948.jpeg (291.1 KB, 113 views)
Old 6 April 2024, 08:00 AM   #7
interestedwatcher
2024 Pledge Member

It’s a 6084 or 6085. Nice watch. The one I had, the indices and numbers were actually recessed into the dial - very cool.
Old 6 April 2024, 08:49 AM   #8
paul cbc
"TRF" Member

Nice looking watch.
What is the asking price?
paul cbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2024, 02:26 AM   #9
Andrewwatch
"TRF" Member

5k. Anyone have any leads on bracelets for this watch?
Old 7 April 2024, 02:36 AM   #10
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

It's a nice enough piece, but personally I can't see paying $5k USD for that watch. There would have to be something more special about it, for me to pay that much. I'd suggest researching some recent comps in auctions. Do you know if it's 14k or 18k? In general, I'm thinking maybe $3500-$4000 for a 34mm gold white dial (semi)bubbleback in that condition.

Of course, that's just me, and you haven't really given us much context about your situation as a buyer, who the seller is (collector vs dealer), service history, warranty, etc.

Regarding bracelets. A solid gold bracelet will be very expensive and hard to find. Gold-filled oyster/rivet bracelets are out there, but they are often in pretty poor condition. I did see a pretty decent gold-filled C&I rivet recently with 19mm end-links.
Old 7 April 2024, 03:09 AM   #11
Andrewwatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
It's a nice enough piece, but personally I can't see paying $5k USD for that watch. There would have to be something more special about it, for me to pay that much. I'd suggest researching some recent comps in auctions. Do you know if it's 14k or 18k? In general, I'm thinking maybe $3500-$4000 for a 34mm gold white dial (semi)bubbleback in that condition.

Of course, that's just me, and you haven't really given us much context about your situation as a buyer, who the seller is (collector vs dealer), service history, warranty, etc.

Regarding bracelets. A solid gold bracelet will be very expensive and hard to find. Gold-filled oyster/rivet bracelets are out there, but they are often in pretty poor condition. I did see a pretty decent gold-filled C&I rivet recently with 19mm end-links.
Thank you for your reply. It is 14k gold. It is being sold by a dealer who just serviced the watch.
Old 7 April 2024, 07:18 AM   #12
Andrewwatch
"TRF" Member

Thank you for your responses Dan. The watch is 14k gold and is being sold by a dealer that has just serviced the watch.