The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: AD performing a “background check”
YES - I have nothing to hide and it will prevent flipping 41 28.67%
NO - It’s nobody’s business / ADs should sell to anyone 83 58.04%
Don’t know / Don’t care / Other 19 13.29%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13 August 2020, 12:42 PM   #91
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psmith View Post
I'll agree to a polygraph test if the AD shows me the contents of their safe, and invites me to witness the unpacking of each shipment from Rolex. Oh, and discloses the exact nature of their relationship with the grey market.

LOL count me in too Clive
Old 13 August 2020, 12:44 PM   #92
DoraTheExplorerII
"TRF" Member

When do they get to interview my family?
DoraTheExplorerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 01:04 PM   #93
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoraTheExplorerII View Post
When do they get to interview my family?
Going in with your wife and/or family makes a great impression, actually. It’s another data point that shows you’re less likely to be a broker or flipper. ;)
vh2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 07:06 PM   #94
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
I don't dress up and take the wife and kids when I am looking for a watch, the sales assistant can see by the watch I am wearing that I am not a tyre kicker.

I don't make a "relationship" with any watch AD's, to be honest, I have more of a relationship with the workers of my local supermarket because of the weekly shop, but they have never given me a free box of tea bags and during the toilet paper shortage, I wasn't interviewed once, even when I wasn't wearing my best Sunday suit.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 09:49 PM   #95
TK-710
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116600
I will submit to a background check for a job and a security clearance and that’s it. Someone can run my name through google whenever they want. I couldn’t care less. There’s actually a Gentleman out there with my same name that takes up about the first 600 pages of the search so have fun with that. Oddly enough we were in the Army at the same time and I used to get his emails all the time.

Four years ago I bought my first Rolex. I walked into an AD I had never been to before, asked for a watch they didn’t have in stock and requested a 20% discount. They countered with 15% and had the watch for me in their next shipment.

If the next time I buy a Rolex it is any more complicated than that there will not be a next time. I’m 100% sure if I never get another Rolex my life will be no worse for it.

I’m on the Rolex forum so obviously I enjoy Rolex and more importantly watches in general but at the end of the day these are fing watches. Rolex knows who’s feeding the grey market and they know the big players in the grey market. It’s inconceivable (I think that word means what I think does) to believe they don’t. They’ve done literally nothing to protect buyers like me nor have they done anything about the fact that their products are more accessible outside their distribution network than within. Now I’m supposed to dance to the individual whims of each AD?

I think it’s laughable that a watch that’s supposed to be a luxury item with a manufactured shortage that is supposed to make them even more desirable can be purchased more easily in the classified section of this Internet forum then at a high end jewelry store designated as an authorized dealer.

If I ever have interest in buying a Rolex again why would I ever go through all this work to try to get a watch from an AD when I can get a watch that AD sold to a grey without leaving my house?

What relationship could I ever foster with an AD that would be more important to them then the relationship they have cultivated with a grey who buys more watches from them at one time than I will in my life?

Either things go back to four years ago or my next watch will be from Zenith or Omega or IWC or Grand Seiko or JLC or...
TK-710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:30 PM   #96
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pw92676 View Post
When you leave your name on a list, I think this happens more frequently than you think. SAs have some time on their hands, google is quick and free, and there may be a genuine curiousity about the person who is coming in and dropping large amounts of $ on watches and jewelry. Also a quick way to see who is genuine and who is playing their own games.

I have had several SAs “look into” who I was. They told me afterwards. I’m not not a big balling VIP. So I’m sure it happens to others.
It definitely happens. My AD told me they know several people on the list for a blue SkyD are flippers and they’ll never sell to them.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 August 2020, 11:45 PM   #97
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
It definitely happens. My AD told me they know several people on the list for a blue SkyD are flippers and they’ll never sell to them.
Thank you for sharing and confirming.
Old 14 August 2020, 12:02 AM   #98
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TK-710 View Post
Four years ago I bought my first Rolex. I walked into an AD I had never been to before, asked for a watch they didn’t have in stock and requested a 20% discount. They countered with 15% and had the watch for me in their next shipment.

If the next time I buy a Rolex it is any more complicated than that there will not be a next time. I’m 100% sure if I never get another Rolex my life will be no worse for it.

I think it’s laughable that a watch that’s supposed to be a luxury item with a manufactured shortage that is supposed to make them even more desirable can be purchased more easily in the classified section of this Internet forum then at a high end jewelry store designated as an authorized dealer.

If I ever have interest in buying a Rolex again why would I ever go through all this work to try to get a watch from an AD when I can get a watch that AD sold to a grey without leaving my house?

What relationship could I ever foster with an AD that would be more important to them then the relationship they have cultivated with a grey who buys more watches from them at one time than I will in my life?

Either things go back to four years ago or my next watch will be from Zenith or Omega or IWC or Grand Seiko or JLC or...
Thanks for the thoughtful post.

1. Most here will confirm the supply/demand situation is much different than it was only four years ago.

2. Agreed, everything is readily available — just at higher prices than have been paid in the past.

3. The Rolex AD/broker/secondary market distribution chain is a fascinating circumstance — balancing selling to “real” customers with moving the less desirable merch.
Old 14 August 2020, 12:42 AM   #99
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wcdhtwn View Post
What I don't understand is why would an AD even care. They sold the watch, made the profit. Move on to the next seller.

Luckily I do not desire the in demand pieces currently, but if I were to and I decided to sell the watch, that's my business. It's now my watch to do with what I please, wether it's to wear and enjoy it, smash it with a hammer, or sell it to somebody else.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:12 AM   #100
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
What I don't understand is why would an AD even care. They sold the watch, made the profit. Move on to the next seller.

Luckily I do not desire the in demand pieces currently, but if I were to and I decided to sell the watch, that's my business. It's now my watch to do with what I please, wether it's to wear and enjoy it, smash it with a hammer, or sell it to somebody else.
There have been reports that when recently sold watches immediately show up on FB, Ebay, secondary resellers, etc., attempts are made to identify the serial numbers, determine the AD who sold the watch, and inform the AD they sold to someone who just wanted the watch to flip.

One can challenge the logic, authenticity, and veracity of this effort... but we do hear about it happening.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:21 AM   #101
Wcdhtwn
"TRF" Member

Watch: SkyD, SD43, GMT2
Quote:

Honestly, I think the AD's don't care, it's Rolex that cares. And they frown on flippers and the gray market, while their limited production of highly desirable watches drives people to the gray market. I don't get it at all, but I know my AD gets "in trouble" if watches he sells end up on the gray market, so he does everything he can to stop that from happening.
Wcdhtwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 01:39 AM   #102
ltmgeller
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Don't really care either way. I just want the watch.
Old 14 August 2020, 01:40 AM   #103
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
I don't have a problem if an AD senses through conversation that an individual is a flipper and chooses to not sell to them. But a background check? Are you kidding me?! These are still just watches, right?
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 02:34 AM   #104
Watchflair

Watch: 116500 116518LN
I had an AD pull my eBay profile and send it to me in a text saying they don't sell to resellers.

Have I sold watches: YES. Am I what I would classify as a flipper: NO. Am I a reseller: NO.

For a point of reference I may have a sold a few watches a year at best - maybe 1-3 on average. There's also been years I've sold none.

The question here in lies - why does that matter?

That doesn't make me a flipper or reseller. I have pieces that I keep in my collection and pieces that just pass through... why's that a problem?

Oh and to mention I haven't purchased ANY watch with the specific intention of reselling it - sometimes it bliss on the wrist and sometimes those feelings fade... we are allowed to separate? It's not you, it's me...
Old 14 August 2020, 03:19 AM   #105
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchflair View Post
I had an AD pull my eBay profile and send it to me in a text saying they don't sell to resellers.

Have I sold watches: YES. Am I what I would classify as a flipper: NO. Am I a reseller: NO.

For a point of reference I may have a sold a few watches a year at best - maybe 1-3 on average. There's also been years I've sold none.

That doesn't make me a flipper or reseller. I have pieces that I keep in my collection and pieces that just pass through... why's that a problem?

Oh and to mention I haven't purchased ANY watch with the specific intention of reselling it - sometimes it bliss on the wrist and sometimes those feelings fade... we are allowed to separate? It's not you, it's me...

I’m super curious to know how they got your eBay username.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 03:23 AM   #106
Watchflair

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGoat View Post
I’m super curious to know how they got your eBay username.

My email address that I use for watches was the same as my eBay user name. So I guess they went in and search eBay for that user name - it's the same as my TRF handle.
Old 14 August 2020, 03:29 AM   #107
DLRIDES

Watch: Me
Quote:

Very disturbing !

There would have been words .............. in person.
Old 14 August 2020, 03:46 AM   #108
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I find it amusing that people are constantly trying to suck up to ADs who it appears have no interest in them. Makes them jump through hoops so they can spend money with them.

You can go to a dominatrix to get this kind of abuse and it's probably a lot cheaper and more fun.

Rolex doesn't like you. She doesn't want to go out with you. She never liked you.

Move on. You're embarrassing yourselves.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:08 AM   #109
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Trader, flipper, fickle owner, pick a name. AD made the right call.
Old 14 August 2020, 05:22 AM   #110
Watchflair

Quote:
Originally Posted by vh2k View Post
Right. Kind of hard for you to make that call without knowing my collection or purchase history.

I have watches I've purchased new and have had in my collection for years. Some I just don't feel the love for anymore - so I'm obligated to keep them?

I wonder who the AD is seeking - someone that buys just one watch and enjoys it for life or someone that buys many watches and enjoys them on their own term... Perhaps that's the better question.
Old 14 August 2020, 07:21 AM   #111
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Right. Kind of hard for you to make that call without knowing my collection or purchase history.

I have watches I've purchased new and have had in my collection for years. Some I just don't feel the love for anymore - so I'm obligated to keep them?

I wonder who the AD is seeking - someone that buys just one watch and enjoys it for life or someone that buys many watches and enjoys them on their own term... Perhaps that's the better question.

Until about 2016 I was a hypothetical ADs best customer. I would buy 5-6 watches a year and keep most for 6-12 months repeat. I would typically lose 15-30%. As soon as I started making money 2016-2019 I am no longer a good customer. Funny how that works
Old 14 August 2020, 08:10 AM   #112
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I find it amusing that people are constantly trying to suck up to ADs who it appears have no interest in them. Makes them jump through hoops so they can spend money with them.

You can go to a dominatrix to get this kind of abuse and it's probably a lot cheaper and more fun.

Rolex doesn't like you. She doesn't want to go out with you. She never liked you.

Move on. You're embarrassing yourselves.
Ha ha. exactly
Old 14 August 2020, 08:11 AM   #113
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not!
Old 14 August 2020, 08:26 AM   #114
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Not!
If the AD caught him selling (what look like) new watches on Ebay, they made a judgment call he was a flipper. If they were non-Rolex watches from 20 years ago, different story.
Old 14 August 2020, 08:35 AM   #115
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If the AD caught him selling (what look like) new watches on Ebay, they made a judgment call he was a flipper. If they were non-Rolex watches from 20 years ago, different story.
Did you read his response? Not a flipper. And besides who cares if he was? I still maintain that once a watch is sold, the buyer can do what he pleases with it. To think otherwise is absolutely insane.

OP- starting to think you are simping for Rolex. Sad really.
Old 14 August 2020, 08:36 AM   #116
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Until about 2016 I was a hypothetical ADs best customer. I would buy 5-6 watches a year and keep most for 6-12 months repeat. I would typically lose 15-30%. As soon as I started making money 2016-2019 I am no longer a good customer. Funny how that works
Great point!
Old 14 August 2020, 08:41 AM   #117
JChips
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Did you read his response? Not a flipper. And besides who cares if he was? I still maintain that once a watch is sold, the buyer can do what he pleases with it. To think otherwise is absolutely insane.

OP- starting to think you are simping for Rolex. Sad really.

No doubt. 100% agree. You are purchasing a watch, not adopting a child.

JChips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 08:47 AM   #118
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChips View Post
No doubt. 100% agree. You are purchasing a watch, not adopting a child.
It’s a discussion forum, so cordial debate is healthy.

Of course, if someone buys a watch, it’s their property and they are legally allowed to sell it.

That doesn’t mean Rolex/ADs need to make it easier for brokers and flippers to acquire desirable pieces so they can be resold the next day.

Absolutely nothing wrong with ADs putting in place measures that attempt to prevent in-demand pieces from falling into the hands of flippers.
Old 14 August 2020, 09:01 AM   #119
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:

Absolutely nothing wrong with ADs putting in place measures that attempt to prevent in-demand pieces from falling into the hands of flippers.
Is flipping illegal?

Is buying something to sell it for a profit wrong?

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 August 2020, 09:47 AM   #120
vh2k
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
Is flipping illegal?

Is buying something to sell it for a profit wrong?
No and no. Nobody has proposed selling your watch should be illegal. Red herring.

This discussion topic is to share opinions about Rolex ADs vetting customers and attempts to keep watches out of the hands of brokers and flippers.

If an AD has the ability to choose between selling a desirable model to a Rolex lover who will wear the watch and never sell it vs. a broker who will immediately sell it to a dealer for resale in the secondary market... it is OK with you if the AD has a policy not to sell to the known flipper?