The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 10 June 2019, 10:43 PM   #31
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC View Post
Thanks for sharing. I love my Speedmaster Professional.

Oh, to think what an uninformed fool I have been for all these years!

Just put my order in for the OEM black alligator strap last week. This is a great picture and shows how amazing this watch looks on leather
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:48 AM   #32
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
You don't own a Speedy because it's the most beautiful watch or most technologically advanced - you own it because you want a piece of history on your wrist. I totally love that the watch they sell brand new today is nearly the exact same watch that Buzz wore on the moon. You still wind it by hand, still has that wonderful hesalite crystal, and just keeps things simple. I like that it just has plain black dials and a simple bezel. It just does what it is supposed to. As said above, it is a watch that belongs in every serious Swiss watch collection. It is also a watch that is fun to swap bracelets, straps, natos, etc. For the price on the secondhand market, you really can't go wrong with a Moonwatch.
Sorry. Sorry. But no.

It’s subjective, sure. But I find the speedy to be extremely attractive. Super legible and very robust.

And personally, it makes me feel cool. My three dream cars, that I have, don’t make me feel cool. I just like them.

But the speedy. I’m the coolest cat on the block with my speedy on. Don’t even get me started on the snoopy.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 05:50 AM   #33
WyoWatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT and Sub C
Never did much for me either. I had the sapphire sandwich. Tried to like it, just never did. Sold it and have never missed it for a second.
WyoWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 08:57 AM   #34
Peterandwatches
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5167/15400/Sub/JLC
It's a solid watch with true history and pedigree. I'd love to get another one, but every time I mix up the collection, it's always on the chopping block.
Peterandwatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 09:01 AM   #35
turboevo2
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT2C
I cannot blame you. Few years back I was gonna buy a brand new one with good discount. but I backed out. I felt same way with you. But 2 years ago I found a preowned one and could not resist to have a manual wind. I use it more than my Rolex GMT2C since it wears like a normal watch.
turboevo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 June 2019, 12:49 PM   #36
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Not everyone is going to like every watch and that's the way it should be but I always scratch my head when someone talks about how cheap modern Omegas and/or the Speedmaster feel in comparison to modern Rolexes because the current production watches from both brands are basically of very similar quality. There are certain things that Rolex does a little better with today than Omega and certain things that Omega does a little better with than Rolex today but both brands are pretty comparable in terms of quality. As for cheap feeling watches, one only has to go back a bit to the five digit Rolexes to experience some truly cheap bracelets and clasps that Omega's bracelets and clasps put to shame at the time. Those embarrassing bracelets and clasps were the major reason I never opted for a five digit Rolex and the six digits are like night and day in terms of quality, although I wish the lugs on the Submariners and GMTs were thinner.

Yes, the Speedmaster is not waterproof and it is manual wind and does not have screw down pushers but don't get it wet, take pleasure in winding it by hand, and you'll be fine.

I will say that I personally prefer the sapphire sandwich due to the practicality, the upgraded movement, and the added weight but in no way does the classic Speedmaster feel cheap. Other than not being waterproof, which I admit is a big deal for some, the classic Speedmaster is among the most versatile watches and certainly chronographs made and is probably the best value (at street prices) in luxury watches today. The current Daytona could learn something about legibility from the old Speedmaster.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 June 2019, 04:57 AM   #37
MrEleven
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega-Rolex-AP
I bought a speedy pro after having about 10 rolex over the years and my first impression was fucking hell this omega feels every bit as good as my rolex for half the price. Before i got my ap i was wearing the omega over the rolex most days except when going on holiday or swimming at the gym.
MrEleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 02:44 PM   #38
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
I’ve owned a Speedy in the past. I’m shopping for another. I’ve also owned a ceramic sub. The sub, while beautiful in many ways, just wasn’t my cup of tea. I now wear an Explorer and think the addition of a Speedy will be fantastic. I had an Exp 2 Polar, which it looks like you’re hunting, but I just sold it. Again, didn’t do it for me like a Speedy. I’ve tried on Daytonas and would take a Speedy over a Daytona every day and twice on Sunday. But if the Speedy is not for you it’s not for you. Thankfully, there are a lot of different watches to choose from. But the opinion that the Speedy felt cheap is completely lost on me.
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 09:43 PM   #39
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

You completely lost me when you said the lack of screw down pushers makes it feel less refined. First off, I don't see how you can make a correlation to screw down pushers and refinement. Secondly, anyone who actually uses their chronograph knows screwdown pushers are a giant nuisance.

instagram.com/ct_watch_guy
_speedmaster_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 June 2019, 11:39 PM   #40
Alex_TA
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
You completely lost me when you said the lack of screw down pushers makes it feel less refined. First off, I don't see how you can make a correlation to screw down pushers and refinement. Secondly, anyone who actually uses their chronograph knows screwdown pushers are a giant nuisance.

OP thinks that screw down pushers are the sign of a high class.
Really funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Alex_TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 03:24 AM   #41
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
I'm embarassed to say it took me 30+ years of watch collecting to pick up a Speedy. I know now what the term "keeper" means.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 21DFED6D-B8F9-467C-91CC-F573F181B3FF.jpeg (192.5 KB, 433 views)
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 04:03 AM   #42
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
It’s a nicer piece of jewellery for sure. I’ve had a black ceramic and it’s great. As to what is the better watch. If usability and legibility are factors then the speedmaster has it licked in those regards.

Oh I need to time something! Hang on while I unscrew my pushers....
Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 05:39 AM   #43
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV
I’m not a big fan of the newer Speedy runs personally but did fall in love with the vintage ones. I just picked up this 1991 limited run 345.0808 # 6XX/1000, the old school bracelet is so comfortable to wear, like it as much as the 16710. Trying to upload a pic but my iPhone is having an issue at the moment.

Old 15 June 2019, 05:43 AM   #44
Onequik135i
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV

Old 15 June 2019, 07:44 AM   #45
Widows Son
"TRF" Member

I feel the same way about the Daytona, don't understand the hype.
Widows Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 08:45 AM   #46
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Widows Son View Post
I feel the same way about the Daytona, don't understand the hype.
Same. I've tried on both black and white dial Daytona-c variants. Neither did anything for me.

To give credit where credit is due, I will say that it is a damn comfy watch and Rolex continue to make the best bracelets/clasps in the business (better than AP imho).

Old 15 June 2019, 08:46 AM   #47
stockae92
"TRF" Member

To OP, it sounded like you already made up your opinion when you first picked up the Speedmaster which was in plastic wrap. Nothing wrong with no liking the Speedmaster. But when you kinda dissed the watch that other people likes, they will come and defend their love for the watch. :)

I like the Speedmaster for what it is, but strangely enough I don't like it enough to keep it when another purchase comes up. As a result, I own and sold them multiple times. I even like the look of those limited edition Speedmaster (ST, ST2, etc), but I don't like them enough to justify paying almost double the price of a "regular" Speedmaster. And now, let me put the flame suit on, I actually like the X-33 more than the "regular" Speedy Pro, all my X-33s "survived" the chopping board when I needed funds for new purchase.

I am kinda excited to see what Omega would be doing with the new movement though, which will have co-axial escapement and hacking second. I think that's a nice update to the movement, and I hope it will eventually find its way into the "regular" Speedmaster production. If they are listen, I can live without that huge presentation box, make them optional, for can be purchased for extra cost. Not that I don't like it, its because I don't have room to store that big of a box (when I have a few of them). :D
stockae92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 June 2019, 09:24 AM   #48
_speedmaster_
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_TA View Post
OP thinks that screw down pushers are the sign of a high class.
Really funny.

I really don't understand it, and I fear its pervasive amongst customers. An impediment to using the functionality of that which you paid is high class?

Old 20 June 2019, 08:59 AM   #49
Rado63
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116334
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
A Speedy Pro is basically a vintage watch that they still make. That’s why it’s so f’n cool. You can’t compare it to a modern Rolex, they’re two totally different watches and serve different purposes. Imagine if Rolex still made the 5513 or the 1680 - it would have a plastic crystal, no white gold surrounds on the hour markers, a hollow rattly bracelet and a piece of crap clasp...and it would be awesome! But you wouldn’t compare it to a modern ceramic Sub.

I have modern Rolex in my collection as well, as most of us do, and the feeling is definitely different. But I wouldn’t ever be without my old Speedy Pro. In fact you’ve just inspired me to take off my BLNR and throw the Speedy on.
If you ever own a manual wind, hesalite crystal Speedy then you feel like you are wearing vintage everyday! Glad I own one.
Old 20 June 2019, 09:12 AM   #50
Superbri22
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rado63 View Post
If you ever own a manual wind, hesalite crystal Speedy then you feel like you are wearing vintage everyday! Glad I own one.

Just grabbed one today! Super excited

Superbri22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 08:33 PM   #51
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
My first "mentor" in watches/collecting told me many many years ago that no proper watch collection was complete without a Speedy Pro. I have avoided that advice for many years, owning several other Omegas (Seamasters and Railmasters) over the years, but am finally hunting for the perfect Speedy for myself right now. I guess it just took me awhile to finally get my collecting nailed down to what I really really want.

I have tried many on, and there is something magical about a modern watch that looks and feels like it just appeared here from 1968. So, my search is on for just the right Speedy for me.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:35 PM   #52
Jonford
"TRF" Member

Tried on a Speedy yesterday at the AD, wasn't a fan

I have considered selling mine a few times, but I look at it and my heart melts.

Jonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 09:50 PM   #53
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
I gave this one to my son 10 years ago and he is enjoying it.

I’m sure he would let me wear it if he didn’t live so far away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 985D7633-6066-4C9D-9DA7-56B8CF7BA0F1.jpeg (270.4 KB, 331 views)

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 June 2019, 10:20 PM   #54
Redadmiral2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116660 D-Blue
I’ve never had a speedmaster but I’ve had it confirmed that I'll be getting the 50 year anniversary edition Apollo 11.
If for any reason I don’t get it I’ll defend be getting a moon watch of some description.
Wish I’d got one years ago.
Redadmiral2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 06:02 AM   #55
Overwound
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCheeta View Post
Thanks guys, I guess I get a little emotional about Speedmasters.
"Nobody f#$%'s with the Jesus."
Overwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 06:36 AM   #56
Dieseljb
Banned

Well I’ve got different models of breitling/ Rolex and one omega speedmaster racing series and I love them all but get more complaints on the omega over any of them . But like everyone says it’s not for everyone.
Dieseljb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 06:58 AM   #57
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
Quote:
Originally Posted by _speedmaster_ View Post
Same. I've tried on both black and white dial Daytona-c variants. Neither did anything for me.

To give credit where credit is due, I will say that it is a damn comfy watch and Rolex continue to make the best bracelets/clasps in the business (better than AP imho).
Yeah, I agree. I'm cooking a plan for a two-tone Daytona, and maybe even with a Champagne dial (!). I think the Daytona works great with gold bits mixed in with the steel, and that case and bracelet fit me really well.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 June 2019, 04:55 PM   #58
Takonwong
"TRF" Member

I may be going to upset a few people but I don’t get the speedmaster either. Omega plays on the history too much and for me it’s a way to continue to make money using an outdated movement that isn’t even the one that went to the moon? Correct me if I’m wrong. I believe that the 50th anniversary one will have a new chronometer spec movement.
I like the look of one but when I tried one on I found it too thick, why is a manual wind watch so thick?
I did really like the FOIS, the diameter and whole vintage look except it was too thick! If only it was slightly thinner.
Takonwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 12:26 AM   #59
BSG75
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SPGN029
I love my Speedy! You literally wear a piece of history every time you put it on your wrist!

BSG75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2019, 01:33 AM   #60
Knappo 1307
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sea Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolexryan329 View Post
EDIT: A speedy is an Omega, I haven't had my coffee yet ugh. Could a mod please move this to the Omega section?

Pretty much title

I was walking down 5th avenue yesterday, went into Wempe looking for an explorer II (no luck obviously) so I passed by Omega and thought "well, all the hubbub about Speedy's, I should try one on!" and I did precisely that. I was buzzed in, greeted by the wonderful saleslady and she gave me the history of the Speedmaster and it's heritage. She pulled out the Speedy pro on the stainless bracelet, still wrapped in plastic. I tried it on and... meh. My first impression was, why is this thing wrapped in sticky plastic like its a replica rolex? Okay, next impression was that its a nice looking watch but it felt cheap. The caseback with the engravings on it, the pushers that don't screw down, the center stack has a marking in the middle. It just didn't feel refined. The kicker? MSRP is more than double what a MINT preowned one goes for. Then she told me the one on the strap is only $100 less, blah. Sorry but I wasn't a fan. I took the card, told her she can keep the magazine and I thanked her for her time

Am I being a little too harsh or am I a little spoiled having such a refined watch as my submariner is? You tell me
I'm really glad you didn't buy it. The Speedmaster Professional is for someone who is a true collector...
Knappo 1307 is offline   Reply With Quote