The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 29 December 2023, 06:52 AM   #1
neeb
"TRF" Member

Bark bezels

Hi all, first post here.. :-)

I find myself drawn to the "bark" bezel day dates. However, despite this being a relatively uncommon option, pictures online suggest that there were several different types of bark bezel. Either that, or some are fake...

Some lool very "barky", with no obvious regularly repeating pattern. Others almost look like engine turned bezels with regulaly repeating ridges, but with finer "bark" patterning in-between. Others are sort of intermediate.

Are these all geunine? Did the bark bezel go through several iterations?
neeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 07:32 AM   #2
CTech
"TRF" Member

There were two main styles of the bark bezel for Day-Dates, and the earlier version was all barked with the later style having solid pieces at 5 minute intervals. The early version looks more like a random pattern of barking whereas the later version has a more orderly pattern of radial lines similar to engine turned bezels.

Although there are many watches for sale where the bezel has been swapped, you should generally find models 1807 and 18078 have the all barked bezel and later models such as the 18248 have the 5 minute marker type. It's possible that some later 18078 watches have the later bezel type, but I'm not sure about when the changeover occurred.

To complicate matters further there were a few different versions of the 5 minute marker type with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, etc. installed at the 5 minute points.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 10:16 AM   #3
neeb
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTech View Post
There were two main styles of the bark bezel for Day-Dates, and the earlier version was all barked with the later style having solid pieces at 5 minute intervals. The early version looks more like a random pattern of barking whereas the later version has a more orderly pattern of radial lines similar to engine turned bezels.

Although there are many watches for sale where the bezel has been swapped, you should generally find models 1807 and 18078 have the all barked bezel and later models such as the 18248 have the 5 minute marker type. It's possible that some later 18078 watches have the later bezel type, but I'm not sure about when the changeover occurred.

To complicate matters further there were a few different versions of the 5 minute marker type with diamonds, rubies, sapphires, etc. installed at the 5 minute points.
Thanks, that's helpful.
Old 29 December 2023, 03:15 PM   #4
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

CTech has given you the 3 relevant reference numbers for YG DDs, and most all of the info you need. This thread lists them, including the gem/bark types.

I’m also curious about when the switch between the two bark bezel styles happened - E.g,, are there “flats” style marker bezels on later 8-9M serial DDs?
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 December 2023, 10:21 PM   #5
neeb
"TRF" Member

Thanks also! What promted my query initially was this watch on Chrono24 - it seems to me that the bezel is neither like the earlier type nor the later "engine turned bark" type. It seems to have a repeating pattern, but not in the same way as the engine turned version.

Seems I'm not allowed to post links yet, but here's a picture:

Aargh! Seems I'm not allowed to post images either....

I give up..
Old 30 December 2023, 08:10 AM   #6
neeb
"TRF" Member

Figured out how to attach images.. :-)

Here's the watch I was talking about. See what I mean?

IMG_7357.jpg
Old 30 December 2023, 08:33 AM   #7
KY..
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 60s to 90s
Can’t answer the bark bezel question but the watch looks pretty nice even with the low grade pic.
Looks like it could be an 1803 or 1807 if original bark with a brown or black confetti dial.
Nice!
Old 30 December 2023, 09:08 AM   #8
neeb
"TRF" Member

Yes, it's a brown confetti dial 1807. That bezel looks weird though, compared to others I've seen pictures of.
Old 30 December 2023, 10:14 AM   #9
CTech
"TRF" Member

I don't think it is an original 1807 bezel from 1970, but what it is isn't clear. There have been many aftermarket parts available in both 14ct and 18 ct gold over the last 50 years or so and so it might not even be a genuine Rolex part.

The whole watch is a bit suspicious to me and I certainly wouldn't want to buy it without being able to see it in person and verify a few details.

Here is the watch as in the OP's photo on a leather strap:

https://www.chrono24.ca/rolex/rolex-...id31804136.htm

and here is what I think is the same watch (from the same dealer) on a bark finish President bracelet:

https://www.chrono24.ca/rolex/rolex-...id31599677.htm

The bracelet in the second link is newer than the watch head and it has a few features that also look suspicious, so it might be aftermarket as well.

In addition, the seller claims that it has the original box, but the box looks much newer than the watch and again might be aftermarket.

Although it is difficult to say with certainty from dealer's photographs what is genuine and what is aftermarket, I would question everything on this, even to the point of asking if this is started out as an 1807 or if it is a relatively ordinary 1803 that has been assembled to look like an 1807, possibly with aftermarket parts.
CTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 December 2023, 12:09 PM   #10
miamiclay
2024 Pledge Member

I don’t recognize that bezel either, and if CTech does not, I’d expect it is aftermarket.

Also, it’s a little odd that the watch on a strap says no box, on a bracelet it’s described as coming with the original wooden box (“con el estuche de madera original”), and it is photographed in the later green leatherette box.
miamiclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2023, 12:36 AM   #11
neeb
"TRF" Member

Yup, I must admit I was tempted, but comparisons with other pictured examples made me suspicious. I'm new to Rolex so glad that my gut reaction was on the right track and that experts concur!

How much would you expect to pay for a good bark bezel / brown confetti dial day date, with or without a bark bracelet?