The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!

Old 16 May 2016, 03:19 AM   #1
ec00421
Banned

Watchfinder.co.uk -> Beware

I've posted the same message below in Patek Philippe sub-forum:
http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=474554

but I thought I'd post it here as well, as it is quite relevant in this classified.

My recent experience with Watchfinder.co.uk has been very unpleasant so far but the situation is not closed yet (as of the post date), so I'll reserve any sort of conclusive judgment for the time being. I'll keep TRF members posted with the outcome.

================================================

Hello TRF memebers,

To commemorate my birthday and a special moment in my life in April, I was on a quest to find a Patek 5127, which has always been one of my favourites. As the model was discontinued in 2013, pre-owned was the only option, and in searching for one, I found one at Watchfinder.co.uk via their website.

Having initiated the transaction on their websibe, I had the first viewing of the actual piece at their showroom in Royal Exchange in the City, the piece seemed OK at the time. In this light, I decided to go ahead with a part exchange deal for my AP + cash for it (the trade price wasn't great but I understand that they are a business). I handed them over my AP and settled the agreed difference at their Royal Exchange store but I wasn't allowed to take the 5127 there and then, as the deal was subject to them being happy with my AP. So the sales assistant took the 5127 back to the stockroom, and in doing so, she dropped the watch on their table, which is covered with some sort of suedey material, and she was forcing the plastic display frame in under the strap, which later I found caused a slight dent on the edges of the case back and the case.
Without having a new example next to it as a benchmark, it is very hard to determine the exact state of it for non-Patek experts, unless it's a distinctive model like Nautilus or Royal Oak. In this light, I specifically and repeatedly asked sales assistants on its service and polishing history, and I was told that it was NEVER polished and I was even shown their internal page of the product showing all service history etc (according to them), which suggested nothing about polishing or servicing. I have also asked if they use genuine Patek parts for their servicing, in response to which they said they do.

A number of days after with 0 communications (no emails, no nothing. I had to do all the chasing up, and it was almost impossible to get a hold of anyone at the Royal Exchange store via phone), I eventually got a call asking me to collect the watch. When I got home with the piece I noticed the aforementioned damage on the edges of the case back and the case. It was not possible to spot it at the store due to the dim lighting conditions and due to the nature of how white gold cases reflect light. Moreover, I was more concerned about verifying papers, movements numbers etc, and I somewhat foolish assumes the watch would have been in the same condition as in the initial viewing.
Also, I have just rested the piece face up for a few days to test for accuracy and noticed that the watch was gaining about 7 seconds a day on average, well above Patek's tolerance level.

With all these problems, I tried to contact the Royal Exchange store via phone, but it was impossible to speak with anyone - after a few rings, the calls were diverted to their Bluewater store or their Head Office for some reason.
So eventually, I managed to get in touch with Natalie Parchment, the customer services manager at Watchfinder, via email (the time when I raised the issue with her was within 14 days of collecting the watch), detailing these issues, and she suggested I send the watch back to them and they'd refurbish the watch and rectify the time gain problem - from what I had seen from them till this point, I was not feeling confident about them handling the pieces unless I knew exactly what will be done. So, I again asked whether if they'll be using genuine Patek parts, should replacements are deemed necessary, and she confirmed they do use and will be using genuine parts. Also, enquired if they use laser soldering technique for dents, because in my humble opinion regular polishing would remove large amount of material to correct the issue on the edges of the case and the back, the response for which I am yet to hear from them (as of the post date), as their head of service department is on holiday apparently..

Whilst exchanging emails with Natalie Parchment, I have also decided to get an expert opinion from Patek Salon in Bond st. just to reassure the scope of work required, and they confirmed that the watch was indeed gaining time, and more surprisingly the technicians suggested that the watch had been heavily polished previously (and NOT by Patek), quite contrary to what they have told me during the sales process. They also suggested the sustained damages on the edges of case back and the case would probably require laser soldering at minimum to be corrected, the technique which I highly doubt Watchfinder utilise..
Also, the head of Customer Services at Patek Salon London confirmed that they absolutely DO NOT supply Watchfinder with any parts, except maybe straps.
The watch is still with Patek, who will be carrying out a full diagnosis on it and will be getting back to me with list of possible refurbishment options alongside prices.

I have passed on these comments from Patek to Natalie Parchment on Thursday evening but I have not heard anything back yet.

Here are probably the two options I'd push for here on in:-

1. Unwind the whole transaction - Watchfinder take the PP back, I get my AP + Cash back.

2. They take up the cost of the case replacement + rectifying the time gain issue (done by Patek, of course) - polishing/laser treatement could have be an option IF they had disclosed the information that the watch had been polished previously but in this case, they provided with false information, which induced me to engage in the transaction.

Quite frankly, I've lost all my faith in them and I am just mentally drained (quite a bit of stress to say the least and a few sleepless nights).
They have been extremely opaque throughout the transaction with extremely inefficient communications (when the money changed hands, I received 0 emails, and even after raising the issues, the emails responses have been extremely slow).
This was supposed to be a commemorative piece, and buying items of Patek's calibre and price should never entail this sort of negative experience or stress.
Until the end of the whole process, I'll reserve any conclusive judgements, but the experience I've had so far have been far from positive.

In hindsight, I should have done more due diligence on Watchfinder and be more cynical, or even pull the plug when I saw the assistant mishandling the piece but I believe I was asking right questions to them, the responses for which, unfortunately turning out to be mostly false.

Any advice/experience/inputs from TRF members are welcome.

I'll be getting an exact quote from Patek Philippe London Salon in due course but if anyone has information on the pricing of case replacement options for gold Calatrava pieces, please do let me know

*Once I have updates, I'll post them on this thread, and once the situation reaches a conclusion, I'll also post a full review/update on the "Buyers/Sellers "Who's Who" ?!?!" section.

**I'd also like to thank Tony a.k.a topcat30093 for giving me some pointers over the phone**

================================================
ec00421 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2016, 04:42 AM   #2
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

there are all sorts of laws covering this sort of transaction. If it was me I'd want a reverse transaction and look elsewhere.
rootbeer7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:27 PM   #3
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Take it back and get your money back, you are entitled to do so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stebinners is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2016, 11:38 PM   #4
Stebinners
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner 16610
Nearly bought a watch this week off them.... This has made me think again

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Stebinners is offline   Reply With Quote