The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 21 September 2020, 03:38 PM   #61
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlopez View Post
I’d start off to say that I am a fan. So this is just for discussion. I’m curious what the hype is with Daytonas compared to other models that drive the demand for such premiums in the gray market—even for PM pieces go for a premium.

My reasons for liking them: I feel it is more subtle and doesn’t stand out to the general public; I like the size (works with my wrist size); can work well in a casual and formal setting; I’m also a racing fan (cars, motorcycles, cycling) so to me it matches my personal interests.

Is it history, racing heritage, the benchmark for chronograph looks, movement, Paul Newman’s are so pricey, John Mayer hype, Instagram hype?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good question.
The hype with the Daytona, or any vintage reference GMT and COMEX Subs for example is due to the fact that these models became legendary. There’s no other watch brand on earth that have managed to become such.
It’s not the watch itself, it’s what it have been, with whom it have been and what role it has played.
This is why Rolex is Rolex today. They managed to create that one extra thing that makes some of their watches “SS models” become more than the sum of their parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 21 September 2020, 04:08 PM   #62
htc8p
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116710 ln
i never bought into the daytona hype. turns out i am a fan of chronographs.

i found better yet cheaper chronographs. zenith, jlc, omega
htc8p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 04:50 PM   #63
seosub
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soxfan39 View Post
Didn't care for Daytona's until I tried one on.
Same here - but I don't have three as a result

I know most say the Daytona is a very photogenic watch, but I never cared for it seeing photos. I think it looks 10x better in real life - combo of case size (diameter / thickness) & the design made me want one after trying it on. I thought it was the best looking watch I had seen. I enjoy the more classic watches - my favourite watch is my sub. The only watch that I think looks better than the daytona - and its a completely different watch - is a PP 5711 white dial.

Sub / Daytona C white dial / 5711 white dial -- I'd be done with watch collecting.
seosub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 05:21 PM   #64
Aquinas
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Posh Gentleman View Post
Daytona is hyped, because it's always been hyped. Hype begets more hype. Just like how Patek Nautilus is hyped like crazy. Daytona is to Rolex, as Nautilus is to Patek or Royal Oak is to AP. Daytona is the iconic Rolex.

This is similar to stock investing. Big winners tend to get more hyped up, and this begets more momentum. (think TSLA, SHOP)
Another comparison would be Kim Kardashian. She's famous because she's famous. The Daytona is desired because it's desired.

By the way: the Daytona compares to the RO and Nautilus as Kim Kardashian compares to Paris Hilton - same concept, but comes from a richer heritage

PS: in before "who is Kim Kardashian" - you know her, and claiming you don't does not make you appear cultured, just silly.
Aquinas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:09 PM   #65
eskiserkan
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Both white and black dial deserves the hype. 40mm size is perfect for most of the wrists. Ceramic bezel is one of a kind in its segment in terms of durability. Great movement with non jumping seconds + 72 hours of reserve. Wearability is another plus for one watch people. Not mention the value wise for the lucky who get it from mrsp. Even if you get it from the market price you wont loose much on resale.
Readability should be the last concern for people who owns a Daytona :)
eskiserkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:10 PM   #66
JJ9
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=marlopez;10931505]I find it interesting that this thread brought out people who prefer the metal bezel over the ceramic. My preference as well.

My story is that I always liked them, and never got one. When I was younger I really liked the Tag Carrera only because it reminded me of a Daytona, but was more affordable (also never got one). When I finally had enough to get a Daytona and get into the WIS game, I almost snagged a TT with a white face. Then I called an audible when I walked into an AP boutique and walked out with a 15202ST (before the hype). Since then I’ve sold it and sold some other Subs that I acquired along the way. I never picked up a Daytona due to the high premium and the discontinuation of the steel bezel.

Fast forward about 5 years later I’m finally getting my Daytona! 116509 with the gray dial. It’s funny looking back to see how my taste changed over the years but in the end I’m going back to the original watch I wanted.

I’ll post it up when it comes in from the AD in a few months.

Got mine a few weeks ago, I love it, the steel dial is amazing! Post pics of yours of when you get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 756998DF-5A4C-4E61-AC1C-CAEB4EFC555A.jpeg (108.1 KB, 207 views)
JJ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:17 PM   #67
dmash
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskiserkan View Post
Readability should be the last concern for people who owns a Daytona :)
So you’re essentially saying who cares if you can even use the watch, it has good resale and a good power reserve!
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 06:23 PM   #68
jamesbondOO7
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex or nothing
For me, there have been too many women wearing it for fashion, then there is too much hype, plus Sarkosy wearing too lose and finally no date.
So Daytona is a no for me.
Old 21 September 2020, 06:48 PM   #69
Bazza.
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots of them
I got my one new many years ago and after 6 months sold it
The dial was just so busy it simply didn't do it for me I prefer
The Sub all day long
Zenith 1931 Pocket Watch, Laco Memmingen,Corum Jumping Hours LE 001/300 , Sinn EZM1 LE ,EZM2-GSG9 , U2 Black, EZM13 , UX-GSG9 ,556A, 104 , 144 60th Anniversary , Oris Diver 65 1st gen , CIGA X Series Titanium , Dwiss R2, Pequignet Royal Manual
Bazza. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:52 PM   #70
A971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Daytona case size is identical to GMT and Sub.
This is simply not true.

The rest of your post only gets worse.

Do better.

A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 08:58 PM   #71
Pw92676
"TRF" Member

I’ve always liked the aesthetics of a chronograph and pushers. Fell in love with them when I started getting interested in watches. To my eye they are artistic and to my brain they represent engineering accomplishment. I always considered Rolex the pinnacle and since chronographs held a special place for me, it was this that led me to fall into the “Daytona hype.”
Pw92676 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 09:01 PM   #72
alex.cicollo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw92676 View Post
i’ve always liked the aesthetics of a chronograph and pushers. Fell in love with them when i started getting interested in watches. To my eye they are artistic and to my brain they represent engineering accomplishment. I always considered rolex the pinnacle and since chronographs held a special place for me, it was this that led me to fall into the “daytona hype.”

+1
alex.cicollo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 10:06 PM   #73
mogara
"TRF" Member

For me, it's the Daytona's history and what it stands for. I work in motorsports and have been fortunate to be the lead engineer or team manager on 6 Rolex 24 at Daytona wins. My first win came in 2006 and I have been lusting after a Daytona ever since. I finally was able to make it happen earlier this year now and proudly wear a white 116500LN.
mogara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:02 PM   #74
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by marlopez View Post
I’d start off to say that I am a fan. So this is just for discussion. I’m curious what the hype is with Daytonas compared to other models that drive the demand for such premiums in the gray market—even for PM pieces go for a premium.

My reasons for liking them: I feel it is more subtle and doesn’t stand out to the general public; I like the size (works with my wrist size); can work well in a casual and formal setting; I’m also a racing fan (cars, motorcycles, cycling) so to me it matches my personal interests.

Is it history, racing heritage, the benchmark for chronograph looks, movement, Paul Newman’s are so pricey, John Mayer hype, Instagram hype?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Easy. Celebrity affiliation and internet instabook hype. People feel special owning something with perceived exclusivity. Look, it’s a great watch in many ways (I owed two) but it broke no new ground and ranks behind the speedmaster, el primero, Navitimer, Etc. in terms of actual significance.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:04 PM   #75
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquinas View Post
Another comparison would be Kim Kardashian. She's famous because she's famous. The Daytona is desired because it's desired.

By the way: the Daytona compares to the RO and Nautilus as Kim Kardashian compares to Paris Hilton - same concept, but comes from a richer heritage

PS: in before "who is Kim Kardashian" - you know her, and claiming you don't does not make you appear cultured, just silly.

This exactly.

As more people get into Rolex watches, Daytona will only get more hype.
Posh Gentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:05 PM   #76
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by A971 View Post
This is simply not true.

The rest of your post only gets worse.

Do better.

Ok big guy.

If you want to refute something, feel free to contribute.

I provided my subjective opinion, based on my ownership experience of Daytona, GMT, and Sub.

Don't get so butt hurt with some minor details, on a jewelry website. lol
Old 21 September 2020, 11:16 PM   #77
Flybak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
Not into hype, but I do appreciate a good-looking reference
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSI.JPG (140.3 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg DSI2.JPG (144.1 KB, 173 views)
Flybak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:29 PM   #78
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

It's a good looking watch. It's very comfortable. It's got history. It's the chronograph from Rolex.

That being said I didn't really care for mine and I think they are somewhat overvalued (monetarily not emotionally). I lusted after that watch for YEARS and when I finally got it I was thrilled. After about 6 months I started skipping it in rotation for weeks at a time. Ultimately I made a conscious effort to wear it often but every time I did I wasn't really excited about it the same way I am about my other watches. I think the hunt was more exciting than the kill for that particular watch. It has moved on to a better place and it's replacement is due to arrive tomorrow.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 September 2020, 11:37 PM   #79
nikesupremedunk
"TRF" Member

I wanted one because it was different than all the other sport models in Rolex's line up. I had a Sub and a GMT and while they were very different, they were still too close. Too many Rolexes with the same design out there (sub, gmt, ym, sd, etc) so having a Daytona gives a nice break in redundancy.

I also really like how it wears especially if you have small wrists like me. You get the comfort of a 5 digit with the sturdiness of the 6 digit. It can also be dressed up or down and it plays both sides very well. I think you either get it or you don't with the Daytona but I love mine.
Old 21 September 2020, 11:54 PM   #80
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The simple answer is because they're very handsome and very comfortable, two of the main reasons we buy watches. I own three Daytonas: four-digit, five-digit and six-digit. They're all special.

Sure, part of it is hype, but that would fade over time if it was the only reason. Instead, the popularity is as strong as ever. There's a reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6263 Portrait NEW-TRF.jpg (283.2 KB, 157 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 12:02 AM   #81
zjd168
"TRF" Member

no need to find out or discuss at all, as any reasoning can be questioned and rebuked, especially when "hype" is the topic. Just ignore and don't buy if you don't get it, meanwhile also no need to try to convince anyone it is just a normal watch that doesn't deserve any "hype"

I didn't like the SS daytona until the ceramic version came out, can't believe Rolex did that to SS, and both black and white were instantly on top of my list.
zjd168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 12:22 AM   #82
Chiboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
There is no watch that EVERYONE loves, and the Daytona is no exception. A few points, though:

1) This isn't just a "recent hype" watch. Daytonas have been popular and hard to get perhaps since the five digit models. Yes, in the mid 60s before Paul Newman wore one, they were not popular. But they have been popular for a long time now, like decades. AP RO and PP Nautilus were not so hyped even 7 or 8 years ago.

2) People can say the size is too small, or feminine or whatever. No watch size fits EVERYONE. For instance, IMO, I would look ridiculous wearing a 43 or 45mm watch. So too perhaps the person with 8" wrists might feel ridiculous wearing a Daytona. Saying a watch size is too small is like saying, "I don't like this Zegna jacket in a 40. Looks too small, because my size is 46 Long."

3) Most Rolexes aren't bought because their intended purpose fits the buyer's needs. Believe it or not, most Sub buyers probably don't Scuba dive with it. So if the chrono is more a look you like than a function you need, there is little shame in owning a chrono.

Of course threads like these will bring out some haters. So what? I doubt most watch wearers find it important that EVERYONE IN THE WORLD thinks their watch is lust-worthy. I like to think most here buy what THEY like, rather than what they think OTHERS like. The last thing the Daytona market needs at the moment is more fans.

Old 22 September 2020, 12:40 AM   #83
Billfav
"TRF" Member

It has been my most recognizable watch....

It is popular for all the reasons noted, and frankly why I acquired one. For me it is the perfect size and is a wonderful luxury sport watch. However, I did not want nor expect it to be noticed. I thought without a cyclops it would fly under the radar but not true. I have had more comments on this timepiece than all of my others put together. However now that I think about it most of those comments were from strangers in automotive environments.

It is a wonderful timepiece, with all the typical Rolex quality built in. While I love it and happy to have one, I would not pay the crazy prices seen way in excess of retail for one. Although I have to say even if the retail price was higher it is worth every penny looking at its competitors.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9479 (1).jpg (93.5 KB, 149 views)
Billfav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:11 AM   #84
Posh Gentleman
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiboy View Post
There is no watch that EVERYONE loves, and the Daytona is no exception. A few points, though:

1) This isn't just a "recent hype" watch. Daytonas have been popular and hard to get perhaps since the five digit models. Yes, in the mid 60s before Paul Newman wore one, they were not popular. But they have been popular for a long time now, like decades. AP RO and PP Nautilus were not so hyped even 7 or 8 years ago.

2) People can say the size is too small, or feminine or whatever. No watch size fits EVERYONE. For instance, IMO, I would look ridiculous wearing a 43 or 45mm watch. So too perhaps the person with 8" wrists might feel ridiculous wearing a Daytona. Saying a watch size is too small is like saying, "I don't like this Zegna jacket in a 40. Looks too small, because my size is 46 Long."

3) Most Rolexes aren't bought because their intended purpose fits the buyer's needs. Believe it or not, most Sub buyers probably don't Scuba dive with it. So if the chrono is more a look you like than a function you need, there is little shame in owning a chrono.

Of course threads like these will bring out some haters. So what? I doubt most watch wearers find it important that EVERYONE IN THE WORLD thinks their watch is lust-worthy. I like to think most here buy what THEY like, rather than what they think OTHERS like. The last thing the Daytona market needs at the moment is more fans.

Agree with everything said.

Especially regarding Daytona sizing.

Do people actually think Daytona is "too small", yet a GMT fits their 8 inch wrist just fine? Lol.
Old 22 September 2020, 01:52 AM   #85
Lamontsanders
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Agree with everything said.

Especially regarding Daytona sizing.

Do people actually think Daytona is "too small", yet a GMT fits their 8 inch wrist just fine? Lol.
Well, honestly, yeah. The Daytona wears pretty small compared to a 6 digit GMT/Sub. It's all subjective but everyone has their opinion on what fits them best.
Lamontsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 01:56 AM   #86
Wobbly
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
Daytona - overhyped and unreadable dial. I like the speedy more. It's good enough to land on the moon its good enough for me.
I agree.
Wobbly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:06 AM   #87
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Great watch. Love it.
Old 22 September 2020, 02:12 AM   #88
904VT
"TRF" Member

Watch: All Rolex
Daytonas also had the next generation movements long before any other models. Since ~2000
904VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 02:40 AM   #89
vcap826
"TRF" Member

The entire time I've had this particular passion of ours I have counted myself lucky that I didn't like the Daytona; it's hard to read, the complication isn't helpful to my life and it's unconscionably overpriced in steel. But wouldn't you know it, this weekend I discovered the watch that I think can take me out of watch acquiring and it's a Daytona. 116519, leather strap, racing dial. Completes the circuit for me.
vcap826 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 September 2020, 04:07 AM   #90
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdingon View Post
Daytona - overhyped and unreadable dial. I like the speedy more. It's good enough to land on the moon its good enough for me.
Yes. The speedy definitely landed on the moon. Red bull gives you wings also.
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote