The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 29 March 2020, 07:47 PM   #1
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Tell me about the White Gold Daytona Oysterflex...

Hi all. So I have a few watches, but the number has grown over the last few years. My daily and only watch for 20 years was a Patek 5066a (well I had a 36mm RO as well, but I never wore it), but when that went in for an extended service a few years back, I added a Speedmaster FOIS, a BLNR, a few vintage King and Grand Seikos, and a Lange 1 Moonphase.

I wanted to buy a 5711 or 5712 for my recent major birthday but of course no luck, so in light of the corona crisis and unfolding tragedy, I may be able to pick something up for a reasonable amount before the anniversary year is done, preferably to replace my 5066a as a daily beater.

Of course the Pateks are the obvious choice, but I’m strangely drawn to the white gold Daytona on oysterflex. Any owners who can chip in? Is it comfortable? Does the tacked-on clasp annoy you? Is the Daytona legible and not too heavy? General opinions (and photos!) greatly appreciated. For the record, I have very skinny 6” wrists and even the BLNR looks borderline too big....

Thanks in advance!
mongrelnomoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 07:55 PM   #2
dmash
"TRF" Member

Don’t let the AD change the band
dmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 09:31 PM   #3
pearson1995
"TRF" Member

I have both a ceramic Daytona and BLNR. don’t know about the WG Daytona, but the BLNR is slightly too big on my wrist I would say, but wearable, the Daytona fits bitter due to it not having a max case.
Old 29 March 2020, 10:31 PM   #4
N&M
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712+RO+3 Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongrelnomoad View Post
Hi all. So I have a few watches, but the number has grown over the last few years. My daily and only watch for 20 years was a Patek 5066a (well I had a 36mm RO as well, but I never wore it), but when that went in for an extended service a few years back, I added a Speedmaster FOIS, a BLNR, a few vintage King and Grand Seikos, and a Lange 1 Moonphase.

I wanted to buy a 5711 or 5712 for my recent major birthday but of course no luck, so in light of the corona crisis and unfolding tragedy, I may be able to pick something up for a reasonable amount before the anniversary year is done, preferably to replace my 5066a as a daily beater.

Of course the Pateks are the obvious choice, but I’m strangely drawn to the white gold Daytona on oysterflex. Any owners who can chip in? Is it comfortable? Does the tacked-on clasp annoy you? Is the Daytona legible and not too heavy? General opinions (and photos!) greatly appreciated. For the record, I have very skinny 6” wrists and even the BLNR looks borderline too big....

Thanks in advance!
116519 is very comfortable for daily use.
N&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 10:48 PM   #5
Pops1973
Banned

Watch: 116713LN
Beautiful watch that was under the radar but seems more people are noticing it now.
Pops1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 10:50 PM   #6
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

I have the 116519 and LOVE IT. I’d say it’s my favourite Rolex at the moment. The oysterflex is very comfortable. Dare i say even more comfy than a steel bracelet. It does have some heft to it, but I like that. In terms of size, I find it a bit chunkier on my wrist than the Batman or 116500, but looks fine on my 6.75 wrist. There is a slight chance it may look too big on a 6 wrist though. Not from a circumference standpoint, but based on its chunkyness

Here’s a few pics for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 10:56 PM   #7
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
I have the 116519 and LOVE IT. I’d say it’s my favourite Rolex at the moment. The oysterflex is very comfortable. Dare i say even more comfy than a steel bracelet. It does have some heft to it, but I like that. In terms of size, I find it a bit chunkier on my wrist than the Batman or 116500, but looks fine on my 6.75 wrist. There is a slight chance it may look too big on a 6 wrist though. Not from a circumference standpoint, but based on its chunkyness

Here’s a few pics for you.

That's lovely. Thank you for the pictures.

Do you find the inelegant and not-particularly-well integrated clasp an issue? (My aquanaut has an elegant butterfly mechanism which means it is no thicker than the rubber band.)
Old 29 March 2020, 11:37 PM   #8
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
I am very happy with my 116519. I find the OF to be very comfortable and have no issues with clasp. It’s not as a legible as my SubC but I don’t find its legibility to be overly challenging nor a deal breaker.

It’s a wonderful watch that is very versatile. Also being a Daytona, wears smaller than most modern watches. I find that a big positive.

jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:42 PM   #9
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
Quote:

Do you find the inelegant and not-particularly-well integrated clasp an issue? (My aquanaut has an elegant butterfly mechanism which means it is no thicker than the rubber band.)
Well, I'm just gonna say it. From your description above, I don't think this is the watch for you.
watchwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:42 PM   #10
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
It’s an absolutely stunningly beautiful watch. It has my favorite Daytona dial by far. I wish they would put that dial on the stainless steel version.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:48 PM   #11
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

I’m wearing mine while reading this. It’s a fabulous watch. Fits fine on my 6.5. I’d try one on prior to buying for a 6.0. It wears larger than my 116500. I love the heft.
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 11:56 PM   #12
ArtNouveau
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: BLRO/Daytona/OP41s
Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
Well, I'm just gonna say it. From your description above, I don't think this is the watch for you.
This. It’s the standard Oyster clasp with EZ link attached to the rubber strap instead of a metal bracelet.
ArtNouveau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 01:04 AM   #13
DaveTheWatchGuy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Not at all. It sits fairly comfortably and I don’t mind the look of it.

The biggest watch out I have (and others have mentioned this too)... is be very selective who you let change a strap for you. Even at a rsc. Ask to speak to the manager. There have been many horror stories here of damage been done to the lugs during Syrah changes. The person really has to know what they are doing!

DaveTheWatchGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 01:15 AM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:

The clasp is perfect on this watch. The "elegant butterfly" is flimsy in comparison to a Rolex clasp. The double lock Rolex clasp is the best in the industry right now.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 01:23 AM   #15
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTheWatchGuy View Post
Not at all. It sits fairly comfortably and I don’t mind the look of it.

The biggest watch out I have (and others have mentioned this too)... is be very selective who you let change a strap for you. Even at a rsc. Ask to speak to the manager. There have been many horror stories here of damage been done to the lugs during Syrah changes. The person really has to know what they are doing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calatrava r View Post
The clasp is perfect on this watch. The "elegant butterfly" is flimsy in comparison to a Rolex clasp. The double lock Rolex clasp is the best in the industry right now.
Thank you both. Very enlightening comments.
Old 30 March 2020, 01:28 AM   #16
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmash View Post
Don’t let the AD change the band
If you do, we already know what your next post will be lol
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 01:32 AM   #17
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
Quote:
Thank you both. Very enlightening comments.
I would also add the Rolex clasp does not protrude on the OF. It lies fairly flat. I have some dress watches with deployant butterflies and they stick way out. The Rolex in no way does that. It lies very flat. Another reason for this is the OF has the rubber cushions underneath so this may be why the clasp does seem to lie flat as the bands are thicker coming in to the clasp due to the padding. This is the issue I would look at, whether you like the cushioning under the strap at lugs. Not everyone's cup of tea to be sure.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 02:39 AM   #18
James5599
"TRF" Member

Watch: D blue
big fan of the white gold Daytona, and will look to own one at some point, the 'steel' dial is a thing of beauty!!

I can however comment on the oysterflex, having recently got my YM42,
very comfortable, once you get the sizing right!! Not sure ive found the sweet spot myself just yet, but it wears comfortably enough!
makes a nice change from a traditional bracelet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ym42.jpg (41.5 KB, 1449 views)
James5599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 03:16 AM   #19
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by James5599 View Post
big fan of the white gold Daytona, and will look to own one at some point, the 'steel' dial is a thing of beauty!!

I can however comment on the oysterflex, having recently got my YM42,
very comfortable, once you get the sizing right!! Not sure ive found the sweet spot myself just yet, but it wears comfortably enough!
makes a nice change from a traditional bracelet!
I wore the Aquanaut for 20 years and am a huge fan of rubber. Why I thought I’d maybe have a look at the Daytona for a new daily instead of the Nautilus...

That’s a lovely Yachtmaster by the way.
Old 30 March 2020, 09:10 AM   #20
Amochosto
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
I have an 116518, and it wears really comfortable and is a beautiful watch. I do note that the oysterflex strap seems to sit higher on the sides of the wrist than other watches I’ve worn.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 8BEADE68-E520-4DEF-9212-9E2F51167E4F.jpeg (85.9 KB, 1362 views)

Stupidity is doomed, therefore, to cringe at every syllable of wisdom

Heraclitus of Ephesus
Amochosto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 12:11 PM   #21
lamnyc
"TRF" Member

You will most likely need a smaller strap from what I’ve read from past posts. It’s going to be risky to have your AD change the straps. Seems like most will mess it up.
lamnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 02:01 PM   #22
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The 116519 is a beautiful, supremely comfortable watch, and I have no issue at all with the rubber strap and its clasp. I don't feel it's "tacked on" at all. Looks like it belongs. Make sure you're OK with rubber all of the time on the watch. There really aren't many options for switching it out, other than a leather/gator strap. I also find this watch the most legible of all the Daytonas, because of the dial color/design. The weight of the gold makes it feel extra special.

For a 6-inch wrist, you should be OK, just make sure your AD gets the right size OF for you. At some point you need to trust that your AD's watchmaker can switch the strap, if needed, without scratching the case. Come on, people. It ain't that hard, definitely easier than switching a stainless steel bracelet. Just make sure they're careful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 116519 Gold Daytona Sun-TRF.jpg (246.5 KB, 1273 views)
File Type: jpg Daytona Gold-Strap-TRF.jpg (272.2 KB, 1262 views)
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 02:06 PM   #23
cerendigit
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio digital
Not sure what's the appeal of the oyster flex. I find metal bracelets so much nicer, it's not even close.
cerendigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 07:19 PM   #24
Dopeboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerendigit View Post
Not sure what's the appeal of the oyster flex. I find metal bracelets so much nicer, it's not even close.
I agree with you until recently, now an Oysterflex is at top of my list.
Dopeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 08:20 PM   #25
justdate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP/AP/Rolex
Tell me about the White Gold Daytona Oysterflex...

My biggest issue was the lack of date! Hopefully that is ok for you. Otherwise they look great and wear well. I found the strap uncomfortable for a couple of days and then got used to it just fine. The clasp seems fine to me.

justdate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 08:26 PM   #26
mongrelnomoad
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the comments people. Unfortunately it just reinforces the belief that I need to see one in the flesh - not something that's possible in the current circumstances.
Old 30 March 2020, 08:31 PM   #27
WhiskeyNovember
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116519LN
Beautiful dial, comfortable to wear, looks great but doesn’t feel quite as special as a full PM bracelet. A summer watch.
WhiskeyNovember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 March 2020, 11:57 PM   #28
Aberdein
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1982 GMT 16750Matt
After about 18 months I gave up waiting for a St. St. white faced ceramic Daytona, life is simply too short. When the WG Oysterflex Daytonas came out I put my name on a list and got one in about four weeks and never regretted it. In MHO its a smarter looking watch than the St. St. version (am sure others will disagree..) and would agree with those who say its a stunning watch.
I have no issues with the Oysterflex strap and find it comfortable to wear.
To anyone considering buying one I would say do it, you won't regret it....
Aberdein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 March 2020, 12:12 AM   #29
danny1305
"TRF" Member

One of the most worn watches in my collection. The most comfortable as well with the oysterflex. As good as pictures are, it looks even better in person on the wrist, so once you are able to see it I’m sure you will walk away with it
danny1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2020, 08:22 AM   #30
shapiroeric
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny1305 View Post
One of the most worn watches in my collection. The most comfortable as well with the oysterflex. As good as pictures are, it looks even better in person on the wrist, so once you are able to see it I’m sure you will walk away with it

I am not a watch person. At all. I have a Sub I bought last year from an AD because I wanted to treat myself. Something to wear on the weekends.

I saw this watch on the forum a couple weeks ago and I must say it’s the only time I ever said to myself “I really want this watch”. As in problem spending the money I’m on it. It is that beautiful. Next year.....

shapiroeric is offline   Reply With Quote