The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 26 March 2020, 10:45 AM   #1
16750Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega Speedmaster
First Post - Purchase Advice Needed! Pepsi 16750

Rolex Forum,

I hope all is well with all of you, especially in these strange times. This is my first post here, and I am relatively new to the Rolex world. Have only dabbled with Omega so far, but now the time has come for a Rolex!

My reason for posting and the backstory is that I am in the market for a 16750 Pepsi. This is a watch I have wanted almost as long I can remember. My best friend's dad had one way back when. He bought it new, and wore it every single day. I am kind of looking for a relatively crisp 16750 that will age with me.

I've been looking at a Rolex 16750 Pepsi on Bobswatches for a while. Selling for $11,495. Realize that unfortunately I can't post the link as I don't have 10 posts yet, but the item number is 129089 x. Will see if I can upload a couple of pictures.

I was wondering if some of you have a few minutes to take a glance at the watch and give me your two cents and view? Don't want to needlessly take up anyones time, but any comments would be greatly appreciated!

I will note is that it seems that this watch has been sitting for a couple months and seems to have a few replacement parts that appear period correct (to me at least). Pricing seems to be alright and relatively in line with the market (to me at least, haha). Still wondering why it has been sitting for so long, and if I am missing something obvious.

Any and all views are highly appreciated! Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage-4.jpg (126.9 KB, 371 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage-5.jpg (113.7 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg Webp.net-resizeimage-6.jpg (102.3 KB, 370 views)
16750Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 11:47 AM   #2
16750Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Sorry, this might have drowned... Can I bump this?
Old 26 March 2020, 12:27 PM   #3
Jackie Daytona
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 16750
I am far from an expert, but I believe a large amount of the components are service replacements as a watch from 1986 should have some level of patina on the dial/hands. Date wheel and bezel insert I believe are replacements as well. Like I said I’m far from an expert though. I believe the box is incorrect as well. I think it still would have been a Bufkor plastic box with smaller leather grain pattern.

If you are set in a 16750 and not too worried it’s all original I would say it’s likely a nice cared for model that could be used for daily wear without having to worry too much.

Side note 16750s are great. My first Rolex for about 16 years.
Old 26 March 2020, 03:56 PM   #4
16750Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Thanks Dontknow! Your thoughts on this 16750 are appreciated. Not all that fused on originality, as long as it is relatively in the scope of being period correct.

Good point, seems like a decent watch to daily.. And I am for sure set on a 16750..!
Old 26 March 2020, 05:08 PM   #5
Ihatecheese
Banned

Sorry I'm no expert in this stuff but it's about trusting the establishment you're buying it from. The American forum people seem to rate bobs watches high!y. Perhaps you can speak with them direct about any specifics with their watch. Personally I wouldn't buy something used with a question mark, in that price bracket right now in case of logistical nightmares if it wasn't right for me and needed to return.
Ihatecheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 10:46 PM   #6
16750Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Thanks Ihatecheese.

Yeah, interesting times we live in. Had some back and forth with Bobswatches here and there, and experience so far generally good. Will ask a couple more pointed questions.
Old 26 March 2020, 11:51 PM   #7
Jackie Daytona

Watch: 16750
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16750Dreamer View Post
Thanks Dontknow! Your thoughts on this 16750 are appreciated. Not all that fused on originality, as long as it is relatively in the scope of being period correct.

Good point, seems like a decent watch to daily.. And I am for sure set on a 16750..!
In my opinion it looks to all be period correct as far as I can tell. The font on the bezel looks about the same as mine, The dial looks to be the correct tritium t<25 dial, and hands are good.

I’ve bought from Bob’s before as well. Others mention their customer service isn’t the best, but in my experience with them twice they were great. They responded to things quickly and even knocked a couple hundred off the price through the communication I had with them. I would buy from them again. My only issue is that their descriptions could be a little more detailed.
Old 27 March 2020, 12:25 AM   #8
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Put on the vintage forum and you will get more educated answers. And post the first 3 of the serial number
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:33 AM   #9
16750Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1665fan View Post
Put on the vintage forum and you will get more educated answers. And post the first 3 of the serial number
Thanks for the tip! Will do. Serial: 8,6XX,XXX - 1985 - 1986. Hope this works

Still have to figure out how to move this thread? Is there a moderator or someone else that could potentially help? Thanks!
Old 27 March 2020, 02:59 AM   #10
RyanPrasad
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 16520
The 16750 is a transitional model so there are a lot of versions. In terms of "collectability" you'd want to focus on a few things:

1. Matte dial vs. WG Surround
-the one listed is WG surround which is correct for that serial range but could be considered less desirable than the Matte dial which is rarer and more expensive.

-There are WG surround dials that also have some great cream aging on tritium markers which IMO are fantastic looking examples as well 

2. Fat font bezel vs. thin font
-the one listed is a thin font vs a fat font bezel which can be identified by the wider more Bold looking "8". This could be personal preference as well but I've seen that most buyers prefer the fat font. you could always get the bezel replaced, there are a number of FF's listed in the parts and accessories classifieds

Getting into the nit picky world you could check the clasp on the bracelet to see if the code, typically a letter followed by a number, matches up to the year of the watch. You could also check the end links to make sure they are the right XXX.

All of the above are trade-offs on $, preference, and time spent researching but a 16750 is overall a fantastic watch, good luck!
Old 27 March 2020, 07:32 AM   #11
TimeLord2

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16750Dreamer View Post
Thanks for the tip! Will do. Serial: 8,6XX,XXX - 1985 - 1986. Hope this works

Still have to figure out how to move this thread? Is there a moderator or someone else that could potentially help? Thanks!
It's been moved. Welcome to Vintage. Waiting to see a few answers too!
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 11:35 AM   #12
16750Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeLord2 View Post
It's been moved. Welcome to Vintage. Waiting to see a few answers too!
Thanks!
Old 27 March 2020, 11:44 AM   #13
1665fan
"TRF" Member

If it’s original tritium dial and hands nothing should glow... I would check that first before I bought anything of that time period....any service parts will glow....the insert doesn’t have any wear so it’s probably service part....seems to be a respectable example but high on price
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:54 PM   #14
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
I've searched high and low on Bob's web site, to include searching for the item number, and I can not find this watch.

Based on the photos posted here, and the description, this GMT 16750 is what most of us call a "service watch," which is a vintage watch where Rolex replaced the original components, to include, the dial, hands, bracelet, bezel insert etc. with service parts.

There is nothing wrong with buying one of these "service watches" since they function very well, but, it should be reflected in the price, which in this case, it is not. Service watches are normally priced substantially lower than a nice original watch which seems to be what most collectors prefer.

Below is an 8.6XXXXX GMT 16750 that I sold last year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Img_0011.sm.jpg (98.4 KB, 117 views)

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 01:31 PM   #15
16750Dreamer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
I've searched high and low on Bob's web site, to include searching for the item number, and I can not find this watch.

Based on the photos posted here, and the description, this GMT 16750 is what most of us call a "service watch," which is a vintage watch where Rolex replaced the original components, to include, the dial, hands, bracelet, bezel insert etc. with service parts.

There is nothing wrong with buying one of these "service watches" since they function very well, but, it should be reflected in the price, which in this case, it is not. Service watches are normally priced substantially lower than a nice original watch which seems to be what most collectors prefer.

Below is an 8.6XXXXX GMT 16750 that I sold last year.
Thanks for your response. I appreciate it. Yeah, seems like someone pulled the trigger.. Thanks for the tips! Back to the drawing board... (which is half the fun!)