The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 2 August 2020, 03:40 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Success vs Happiness....

While we suffer through this quarantine and some are doing some serious assessment of their life and goals I found this article to be interesting.

It talks of the addiction to social media. The addiction to PRAISE which is one of the aspects of "success" chasing. And it talks of the human need for praise over happiness.

There are often "happiness" scores given to different cultures and countries from surveys taken, and the US is generally a ways down the line in the scoring. I've often said that part of that reason is the US propaganda machine that states you can achieve whatever you set out to achieve when in reality LUCK plays a very direct role in who gets to achieve the most money (usually the measuring stick).

Some well say, "well you make your own luck" and to some extent that is true. But the fact of the matter is that some people get to the "top" for a variety of reasons. Connections, money, timing, and just plain old luck play a part as well.

In other countries where the "sky is the limit" is not reasonably achievable, people are very often higher rated on the "happiness index". (Costa Rica is often rated the highest) People are happier and just more satisfied.

When chasing money and keeping up with the Joneses is the mindset, people can just never seem to be satisfied. Perhaps that's why consumerism in the US is the national pastime, in an effort to be happy.

But, buying stuff never really seems to pan out as a way to make a person happy. (Obviously not counting Rolexes, of course)

Anyways, an interesting article.....

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...-happy/614731/
Old 2 August 2020, 03:51 AM   #2
kwcsports
"TRF" Member

Great article, thanks for posting. I'm retiring early for this very reason. Getting off the treadmill and spend more time with loved ones and enjoying the simple things. My father recently passed away at 72 and it gave me a stark reminder of how short life is.
kwcsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 04:06 AM   #3
swils8610
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I’ve often thought about this subject before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 04:32 AM   #4
bremersm
Banned

I will leave this here as it will likely get removed but I hope that many see it.

"We are not made for this Earth"

We are simply here as visitors as we choose our eternal rest.
bremersm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 04:40 AM   #5
FTX I
"TRF" Member

It's all about decisions IMO.
FTX I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 04:51 AM   #6
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Nice hearing from you BLANSKY as I was wondering what has happen to you..! :)
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 04:59 AM   #7
Spectre38
"TRF" Member

Watch: and be amazed.
I may not have the best of things, or the most, or the newest... but as of right now I am happy. I consider that a success due to the current state of things.

It's the old KISS principle... Keep It Simple, Stupid.
Old 2 August 2020, 05:55 AM   #8
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreguetRolex View Post
Nice hearing from you BLANSKY as I was wondering what has happen to you..! :)
Thanks.

Been painting some rooms and basically shut off the computer for a few days.
Old 2 August 2020, 06:24 AM   #9
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I have found the goal is meaning and purpose, happiness is very fleeting and success may not be meaningful especially if it is measured in dollars, cars, degrees, pats on the back, insta likes, etc.
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 06:40 AM   #10
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Being happy with ones success is important - I’m lucky that both work and home life bring happiness. Both are immensely hard work, especially at the moment, but very fulfilling.

Learning to appreciate what you’ve got and not covet thy neighbour is what it takes.

As you say luck plays a huge role, that many won’t acknowledge.

Being born into a prosperous country with good access to education is pure luck number one for many who go on to make it on their own.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 07:20 AM   #11
MrGoat
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I have found the goal is meaning and purpose, happiness is very fleeting and success may not be meaningful especially if it is measured in dollars, cars, degrees, pats on the back, insta likes, etc.

This.

I made substantially more money when I was 26 but I was an a-hole. It took 4 yrs after that (losing everything I had and living in a storage shed for two months in summer which is a story for another time) to realize life is so much more than the rat race. I did not quit, I found a steady job and figured out ways to make money on the side.

I was not willing to continue my previous endeavors so I found a new much less paying career. Since then I’ve found myself (being completely happy with myself in a one bedroom apartment with no one to make me happy but myself) because before my happiness always relied on a woman. Without one I wasn’t happy.

When I found happiness in myself and my situation (no matter what it is) I truly found happiness and success. I don’t make much money at my “job”, I don’t drive a brand new car, I don’t have the most perfectly manicured lawn and I often buy quality things used. I have the woman of my dreams, some projects (I’m a tinkerer) and the best dog a man could ask to be his best friend. Life could not be much better for me.

All of this started by a relentless, persevering, never quit attitude. I don’t credit luck because I’m not a guy that’s “lucky”. I help others and try to be a beacon of positivity, however that surfaces with each situation. That peace and comfort in myself and my conscience is what I’m most happy about. I’m also very happy I found an amazing woman.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 08:50 AM   #12
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 09:18 AM   #13
aczaja10
"TRF" Member

Thanks for sharing the article and your thoughts. There is much wisdom in both and this is something I personally struggle with.
aczaja10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 10:06 AM   #14
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Great article, thanks for sharing
RW16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 04:30 PM   #15
SFmedic13
"TRF" Member

Watch: None Currently
Life is Life.....interesting,harsh,sad,hard but given another day is Outstanding!
SFmedic13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 August 2020, 10:24 PM   #16
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Thx OP for posting.

Currency (generally incorrectly called money, yet it's not money, it is currency) is an illusion. Once you understand the illusion and how to work their financial system...

Happiness comes from within. jmho
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 03:32 AM   #17
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Not to flog a dead or dying horse but I read this today and thought it is a rather insightful treatise on success as well.

https://markmanson.net/how-to-be-insanely-successful
Old 5 August 2020, 04:37 AM   #18
Etschell
"TRF" Member

Watch: platinum sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
While we suffer through this quarantine and some are doing some serious assessment of their life and goals I found this article to be interesting.

It talks of the addiction to social media. The addiction to PRAISE which is one of the aspects of "success" chasing. And it talks of the human need for praise over happiness.

There are often "happiness" scores given to different cultures and countries from surveys taken, and the US is generally a ways down the line in the scoring. I've often said that part of that reason is the US propaganda machine that states you can achieve whatever you set out to achieve when in reality LUCK plays a very direct role in who gets to achieve the most money (usually the measuring stick).

Some well say, "well you make your own luck" and to some extent that is true. But the fact of the matter is that some people get to the "top" for a variety of reasons. Connections, money, timing, and just plain old luck play a part as well.

In other countries where the "sky is the limit" is not reasonably achievable, people are very often higher rated on the "happiness index". (Costa Rica is often rated the highest) People are happier and just more satisfied.

When chasing money and keeping up with the Joneses is the mindset, people can just never seem to be satisfied. Perhaps that's why consumerism in the US is the national pastime, in an effort to be happy.

But, buying stuff never really seems to pan out as a way to make a person happy. (Obviously not counting Rolexes, of course)

Anyways, an interesting article.....

https://www.theatlantic.com/family/a...-happy/614731/
the millennial generation and younger (for the most part) are less consumerism based and more happiness based. they are also finding less traditional ways to make money like being youtube personalities and such.

the system is designed for people to have a mortgage, car payment and 2.2 kids.

time will tell but success and money are two separate things. i know a lot of people with money that are complete f ups and others with less money that are successful.

i work and save so i can support my family and hope to retire younger than most. you can never know where life takes you but that is the goal for now.

ive had a lot of luck in my life but most of it has not been monetary. i believe the reason why is i dont need monetary luck. i work hard and get paid to do so.

the best quote you can find is from the movie blow - "money isnt real george, you just think it is"

25 or 6 to 4.
Etschell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 August 2020, 04:54 AM   #19
DonRickles
Banned

Watch: Your mouth
"Whatever you do to gain success, you have to hang in there and hope good things happen. Always think positive." Don Rickles
DonRickles is offline   Reply With Quote