The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 18 July 2019, 01:11 AM   #1
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Watch: JC Deepsea
Is a collection ever complete?

Hey guys,

Apologies for the long post but wanted to share my story as a collector and see if it resonates.

My Rolex journey began at the tender age of 21. I was doing quite well and purchased a glossy 5513 as to be honest it was the Bond watch prior to Omega stepping in. It was a full set and I loved it....for about 6 weeks until I caught it on a door frame and realised I was far too active for an expensive watch so off it went for the princly sum of £1,500. I look back now and in hindsight I should have kept it but you live and learn.

Fast forward 13 years and after many tv programmes / films etc where watches caught my eye I decided it was time to dive in again (pun intended). Continuing with the Bond theme I looked at seamasters but they didn't seem to have the same appeal as Rolex.

Then I saw it...the one I had been looking for. Bypassed by many in favour of the sub, but to me it screamed tool watch and I purchased a 16600 SD. Not being a big fan of bracelets I stuck it on an Erika's originals MN strap and I was happy as a pig in s**t.

Until I realised I wanted a dressy watch to compliment it. Enter the two tone bluesy. As much as peoples opinions differ on the bracelet I think we all agree the sunburst blue dial is one of the finest ever made.

At this point I was completely obsessed and went on to purchase a 16710 pepsi followed by a 16622 platinum dial ym and finally a JC Deepsea. My only issue was I could not sit sill and was continually looking for the next watch rather than appreciating my collection. If I am honest I had just joined Instagram which only fuelled my desire for something new and shiny. In the next 6 months I traded the pepsi + cash for a vintage 5513 and then traded that for a tt daytona black dial. I also upgraded my 16600 to a SD43.

My current collection is:

16622 YM - If I am honest it's a lovely piece with a killer dial but for some reason gets the least wrist time.

DeepSea JC - My daily. I love everything about it and the story of it's achievement.

SD43 - Fantastic size and love the splash of red. Originally my grail was a drsd but in person I felt it was too cluttered on the dial. Preferred the sub 1680 but it felt a little delicate vs the SD43. That said although I have two 6 digit references I do believe the older models looked more rugged and sometimes miss the 16600.

Bluesy - My favourite dial of all time. I did try on a solid gold version but felt I couldn't pull it off.

I also tried a PP Aquanaut but was underwhelmed with the thinness. I may be missing the point of PP but I think I am firmly in the rolex diver camp. That said I tried the WG black dial skydweller and loved it but I was unsure on the bezel as whilst my watches are not beaters I don't baby them either.

So I guess what I am trying to say is this...

1. In hindsight I look back now and realise the chase was the high vs having the watch.

2. As much as I think the idea of one watch is romantic I think it's hard to achieve.

3. I realised I am currently very satisfied with my collection on the basis of what would I replace any of my current pieces with?

4. Having been lucky enough to try on my grails I realise they are not really grails after all.

5. Am I done? Being honest I am not a huge fan of the really hot watches at present. Daytona is lovely but a little small for my wrists. I tried the hulk and the batman and they didn't really do it for me. It feels refreshing to be at peace with my collection and not to have to play the AD games but there is a pang of remorse that this could be it? - Is it complete?
KingsTrumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 02:02 AM   #2
Mr.Rolex1
Banned

Watch: Submariner
Nice collection. Perhaps replace the 5513 or 16600?
Mr.Rolex1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 02:21 AM   #3
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Thanks Mike. I traded up with the 16600 to a SD43 and traded the 5513 for a tt daytona. The reason for trading in some of the watches was financial as I hit a limit I was comfortable with and didn't want to stretch so became a one in, one out scenario. I wonder how many of us have a self imposed watch budget.
Old 18 July 2019, 02:42 AM   #4
wsfarrell
"TRF" Member

I have a hobby. I have the world’s largest collection of sea shells. I keep it scattered on beaches all over the world. Maybe you’ve seen some of it.

--Steven Wright
wsfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 04:39 AM   #5
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Haha
Old 18 July 2019, 04:39 AM   #6
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

No
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 04:55 AM   #7
oldman2005
"TRF" Member

Never or the ultimate question is will I ever get over my Rolex OCD
oldman2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 05:05 AM   #8
Iceman1
"TRF" Member

Fantastic post. I will reply once I have my grails and know better! Haha
Iceman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 05:08 AM   #9
Bryant Park
Banned

Probably the wrong venue to ask and expect an unbiased response.

Analogy as follows... Probably get different answers going into a bar and asking about the virtues of alcohol consumption versus an AA meeting.

As long as you are enjoying the ride, why ever be done collecting?

FYI you seemingly have great taste in watches.
Bryant Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 05:12 AM   #10
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

I have so much respect for those that can complete a collection.

My collections only stay “complete” for about a day before my mind wanders to the next perfect collection or grail.
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 05:27 AM   #11
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Thanks all. I guess the real question is do we ever stop looking for the next watch? Will upload some pics shortly.
Old 18 July 2019, 05:34 AM   #12
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
I think a lot depends on your personality and why you collect.

I see quite a few members here who have amazing collections, including multiples of the same reference eg: some have 126710 BLRO and BLNR etc. Then they have PM and SS versions of the same reference and so on ... nothing wrong with this btw, if that’s your thing and yes they are all different watches. In this case, every Basel release presents another opportunity to expand the collection. I’m not sure this ever ends ...

Lately, I’ve been thinking I’d rather have a few watches I really enjoy and call it a day. Heck even with the four I own it’s the old 80-20 wearing rule
brandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 05:41 AM   #13
VicLeChic
Banned

Watch: YM 116622 - SD43
It's never enough, this is a disease.
VicLeChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 06:18 AM   #14
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

I agree with this. I think when I started I really tried to diversify and thematically decided I needed... a diver (16600) a dress piece (bluesy / ym), a gmt (pepsi) and a big watch (DS). I then added the vintage (5513) and later the "louder" watch in the tt Daytona (gold bezel). After a while I realised two things. 1. Like you say the 80-20 rule is def in play. 2. As much as it was cool to have a collection I realised that (and appreciate this is fairly common) that divers were my sweetspot. I tried uploading some pics from my phone but it says too large so will add some tomorrow.
Old 18 July 2019, 06:28 AM   #15
rmlovett1
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: YTBD
Your journey resonates, I’d assume, with quite a few on TRF. Everyone who’s “into” watches has their reasons for what they do and why they do it, and what they have, don’t have, the number, the name brand, etc...
It’s a passion, journey, hobby...for some it’s serious, for some it’s only fun.
There’s going to to be ups, downs, and mistakes made.
My take is...if your happy, keep doing what you like... move ‘em, trade ‘em, buy them...or complete your collection at 50 or 2, and be content! Everyone’s rationalization is different! Enjoy the journey, however long it takes!
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 06:55 AM   #16
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Thanks Richard. It has def dawned on me perhaps on here the question may have been a little silly. I guess what I have seen from reading other threads is how everyone is always searching for the next piece or their grail and was interested to see how many people sit back and say I am happy with my 1, 2, 10 etc. Collection. More importantly how long that lasts as I think it's easier said than done.
Old 18 July 2019, 11:43 AM   #17
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Nothing wrong being satisfied and not having the urge for the hot models.
Kind of feel the same
Old 18 July 2019, 12:31 PM   #18
Jg422
"TRF" Member

Is a collection ever complete?

After spending 3 months with a day date 40 I realized that I’ve stopped wanting other watches. Whenever I wear something else, I miss the DD and wish I would have worn it instead. It’s become my daily. Eventually I’ll trade the Tudor black bay toward a sub but I’m not In a hurry because I know it won’t get worn that much. If you really love one reference or obtain your grail i think it can “cure” the bug of always wanting another watch.

I used to have a BLNR and it never impressed me the same way the DD does, but I also didn’t know a ton about the brand when I bought the GMT.

The high is definitely the chase because once you have it you realize no one really cares about your watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jg422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 12:57 PM   #19
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
My collection has been still for a few years. I’ve only subtracted. I’m done, for the foreseeable future.

Though the BB 36 in blue is nice. I realize it’s the thrill of the chase.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve started to question my values a bit, in regards to this hobby.

AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 02:04 PM   #20
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
OP - I bet you already regret writing this thread while lusting over the next piece. Dream on if you think you’re cured of watch addiction
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 07:31 PM   #21
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
Nothing wrong being satisfied and not having the urge for the hot models.
Kind of feel the same
Good to hear. Def a peaceful feeling.
Old 18 July 2019, 07:33 PM   #22
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jg422 View Post
After spending 3 months with a day date 40 I realized that I’ve stopped wanting other watches. Whenever I wear something else, I miss the DD and wish I would have worn it instead. It’s become my daily. Eventually I’ll trade the Tudor black bay toward a sub but I’m not In a hurry because I know it won’t get worn that much. If you really love one reference or obtain your grail i think it can “cure” the bug of always wanting another watch.

I used to have a BLNR and it never impressed me the same way the DD does, but I also didn’t know a ton about the brand when I bought the GMT.

The high is definitely the chase because once you have it you realize no one really cares about your watch

I feel the same way about my deepsea. Which I think helped cull the collection. Maybe the BLNR was hype? I do find I get sucked in a little and then have to objectively remove myself from the noise when trying a piece on. Am I buying this because I like it or is it because it's popular. That said with my SD43 it can be both.
Old 18 July 2019, 07:35 PM   #23
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
My collection has been still for a few years. I’ve only subtracted. I’m done, for the foreseeable future.

Though the BB 36 in blue is nice. I realize it’s the thrill of the chase.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve started to question my values a bit, in regards to this hobby.

100% agree with this. I feel like I reach for a few watched so seems a shame to have others sat there. Like you I realise whilst a collection is fantastic it's not the be all and end all. First world problems I guess :)
Old 18 July 2019, 07:38 PM   #24
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
You never stop something else will hit the radar at some point
996marty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 July 2019, 07:38 PM   #25
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by inadeje View Post
OP - I bet you already regret writing this thread while lusting over the next piece. Dream on if you think you’re cured of watch addiction
Maybe I am in rehab. I have noticed a cycle in my mentality though...

1. Gotta have it, can't live without it

2. Forensically search for it

3. Get it and instantly dismiss all my other watches

4. After a few weeks reach for my old watch and think how could I live without you

Old 18 July 2019, 10:10 PM   #26
ozwatchguy
"TRF" Member

As long as were on this forum or looking at pictures on Instagram we will always be chasing the next hot watch. I’m quite content at the moment but I’ve also spent less time on social media and TRF
ozwatchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 July 2019, 12:45 AM   #27
KingsTrumper
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozwatchguy View Post
As long as were on this forum or looking at pictures on Instagram we will always be chasing the next hot watch. I’m quite content at the moment but I’ve also spent less time on social media and TRF
I can't agree with you more. I have noticed the same with reference to social media and estimate at least 3 of my watches were purchased after seeing them constantly pop up. I too have started to spend less time on IG and have realised it's better for my wallet :)