The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX


Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20 July 2016, 11:13 AM   #31
sachal007
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Sachal
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: Hulk/BLNR/D-Sea
Posts: 294
Lastly there is a chance that the seller bought the watch thinking it's a gen but was actually sold a fake.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
sachal007 is offline  
Old 20 July 2016, 11:20 AM   #32
txaggie
"TRF" Member
 
txaggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Fort Worth
Watch: 116610LV
Posts: 32
Looks suspicious to me. Thanks for the heads up sachal007.
txaggie is offline  
Old 20 July 2016, 04:33 PM   #33
Lol-x
Facilitator
 
Lol-x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Real Name: Steve
Location: Omnipresent
Posts: 30,785
What troubles me is the inside of the clasp is sandblasted, but the hang tag is green. I thought the sandblasting changed some time ago well before green hangtags came into effect.

I'm surprised there is no warranty card?

The green hang tag indicates this watch would have been manufactured recently.
__________________

Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. ~Abraham Lincoln
Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride. ~John F. Kennedy

ROLEXploitation - yeah I'm a victim
Lol-x is offline  
Old 20 July 2016, 06:04 PM   #34
Abdullah71601
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Abdullah71601's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Calumet Harbor
Watch: ing da Bears
Posts: 13,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lol-x View Post
What troubles me is the inside of the clasp is sandblasted, but the hang tag is green. I thought the sandblasting changed some time ago well before green hangtags came into effect.

I'm surprised there is no warranty card?

The green hang tag indicates this watch would have been manufactured recently.
Not sure about that Steve. I believe they swapped hang tags on watches in stock on a particular date. If the watch was in the case, it would have got the new tag.

There is a thread somewhere with the procedure, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Refer to Adam's post (#3) in this thread http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...green+hang+tag
__________________
214270 Mk1, 116400 Black Dial, 16600


- - Your brain is almost always wrong when it comes to watches. Go with your heart, because it's your heart that will make you sick for buying the wrong watch.
Abdullah71601 is offline  
Old 20 July 2016, 06:14 PM   #35
Punishher7
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: WA
Watch: SubC/Pelagos
Posts: 510
I'm no expert, but if this in fact a fake... this is scary...
Punishher7 is offline  
Old 20 July 2016, 06:32 PM   #36
dera
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
Not sure about that Steve. I believe they swapped hang tags on watches in stock on a particular date. If the watch was in the case, it would have got the new tag.

There is a thread somewhere with the procedure, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: Refer to Adam's post (#3) in this thread http://www.rolexforums.com/showthrea...green+hang+tag
They changed to polished clasps around Feb-Mar/15, and 1st July 15 everything in stock changed to green tags (ADs were sent green tags and told to send old red tags back).

There is a possibility that it is a watch that was manufactured earlier and delivered later, but Subs are fast moving pieces and that seems a bit unlikely (but not impossible).
I was delivered a 42mm Exp2 a few months ago from Rolex with sandblasted clasp. But all of my Subs with green tags (5-6) have been with polished clasp.

I think this is a great post by OP, and seriously needs further info from the seller.
dera is offline  
Old 20 July 2016, 06:54 PM   #37
artschool
"TRF" Member
 
artschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: uk
Watch: 116600,114060
Posts: 1,197
interesting turn of events.
artschool is offline  
Old 20 July 2016, 09:57 PM   #38
Knappo 1307
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
Knappo 1307's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Real Name: Jason
Location: USA
Watch: Sea Dweller
Posts: 6,601
Quote:
Originally Posted by dera View Post
They changed to polished clasps around Feb-Mar/15, and 1st July 15 everything in stock changed to green tags (ADs were sent green tags and told to send old red tags back).

There is a possibility that it is a watch that was manufactured earlier and delivered later, but Subs are fast moving pieces and that seems a bit unlikely (but not impossible).
I was delivered a 42mm Exp2 a few months ago from Rolex with sandblasted clasp. But all of my Subs with green tags (5-6) have been with polished clasp.

I think this is a great post by OP, and seriously needs further info from the seller.




Agreed.. I sent a PM to the seller last night, stating this exactly.
Knappo 1307 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 01:23 AM   #39
77T
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 30,284
Full disclosure:
Seller reached out to me after my initial post here. We exchanged a couple of PMs and my recommendation was to make a calm response with sharp pics to this thread.
Was within last 24 hrs. so perhaps he's working on that.

I am glad OP has now listed concerns. I believe that would have been the best initial route in his thread but all will become clear one way or the other in a day methinks.
Props to Mods & Steve for their attention on this issue - they work hard to keep a fair and friendly site here.
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now  
Old 21 July 2016, 01:32 AM   #40
sachal007
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Sachal
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: Hulk/BLNR/D-Sea
Posts: 294
thats sounds fair.
sachal007 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 01:41 AM   #41
DevinH
"TRF" Member
 
DevinH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Georgia
Watch: Rolex Submariner
Posts: 378
The date window does look very off in the pics. That could just be the angle. But it looks way off
DevinH is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 01:55 AM   #42
cda555
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
cda555's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Real Name: Crystal
Location: California
Watch: GMT IIc and PO
Posts: 1,499
I'm not an expert, but I compared this listing with another listing from a genuine watch, that also has a bezel protector. I think the OP is right. This listing looks "off." From OPs' listing, the "20" and "50" look too thin, and the date looks off. If you have two tabs open, one with OPs listing and one with the other listing, it really looks noticeable.

Here is the other link http://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=484133
cda555 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 02:57 AM   #43
sachal007
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Sachal
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: Hulk/BLNR/D-Sea
Posts: 294


So the guy just posted high res pics.

As I had mentioned earlier. Here are the list of things that are wrong with it.

Again the printing on the dial appears to be a lighter shade of grey not white like it is on gen dial.

The 6 and 9 markers are wrong.

The date is misaligned.

The cyclops is missing the AR.

The platinum finish on the insert is too dark.

The black color of the insert is also wrong.



Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk
sachal007 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 03:09 AM   #44
jjlawyer
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: LA
Posts: 10
The grey rather than white bezel insert markings are pretty obvious in the new pic.
jjlawyer is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 03:14 AM   #45
sachal007
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Real Name: Sachal
Location: San Francisco, CA
Watch: Hulk/BLNR/D-Sea
Posts: 294
things you guys make me do while I am at work :D



If you still think this is gen, then be it!

Last edited by sachal007; 21 July 2016 at 03:32 AM.. Reason: I tend to think fast and type slow
sachal007 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 04:29 AM   #46
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,620
Found a different 116610 he had listed last year on WUS that is suspect as well (look at that clasp):

http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/rol...9-2166266.html

He also had the current watch listed on eBay, but curiously just ended it recently due to an "error in the listing":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/272312792139


Here are the direct links to the (larger) eBay pics:

http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/66MAAO...j1/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~qgAAO...j5/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6DkAAO...j9/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/6dQAAO...kF/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/DkAAAO...kL/s-l1600.jpg
freefly is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 04:39 AM   #47
freefly
"TRF" Member
 
freefly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Real Name: Eric
Location: AZ
Watch: 4/5digit Subs/GMTs
Posts: 1,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachal007 View Post
So the guy just posted high res pics.

As I had mentioned earlier. Here are the list of things that are wrong with it.

Again the printing on the dial appears to be a lighter shade of grey not white like it is on gen dial.

The 6 and 9 markers are wrong.

The date is misaligned.

The cyclops is missing the AR.

The platinum finish on the insert is too dark.

The black color of the insert is also wrong.
The clasp is pretty bad as well. The arms are bent, and the coronet sits too far down.
freefly is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 05:12 AM   #48
ny_yeti
"TRF" Member
 
ny_yeti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Real Name: Aaron
Location: portland, or
Watch: 116613LB
Posts: 403
This has been better than the serial pod cast! Fascinating stuff going on here!
ny_yeti is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 05:20 AM   #49
karanrolex1984
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Dear All,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I posted new pictures as requested.

I did list the watch on ebay and withdrew it till I have 100% clarity.

Can any of you experts call me 843.325.6618

Thanks
karanrolex1984 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 05:30 AM   #50
karanrolex1984
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Another thing -

I just looked at the 50 in open light it looks white and not grey. I am taking pictures from Iphone. Could this be a reason ??

Another test I was told is if you shine the light at number 6 and you can see rolex crown it is authentic. I checked that and I can see it only when I shine light on it.
karanrolex1984 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 05:32 AM   #51
southtexas
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
southtexas's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Great State of TX
Posts: 4,398
FAKE: FS: Rolex Submariner Date 116610 Ceramic Bezel Worn 10 Times Box Tag Spare Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Full disclosure:
Seller reached out to me after my initial post here. We exchanged a couple of PMs and my recommendation was to make a calm response with sharp pics to this thread.
Was within last 24 hrs. so perhaps he's working on that.

I am glad OP has now listed concerns. I believe that would have been the best initial route in his thread but all will become clear one way or the other in a day methinks.
Props to Mods & Steve for their attention on this issue - they work hard to keep a fair and friendly site here.


Out of curiosity, what is our operating policy here towards identifying "tells" of a fake? Seems I've seen many threads where people point out exactly what's wrong with a watch, and other threads where it's frowned upon because it gives the counterfeiters info with which to make them (fakes) "better".

I, personally, really enjoy this subforum and have used it in the past when I wasn't 100% on something. I hope people like OP aren't discouraged from speaking their minds on here, so maybe it would be useful to give us some forum etiquette pointers as to the proper way to initiate a "call out" thread (like this one)?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
Forty six & 2 are just ahead of me.

Follow me on Instagram @ccrolex
southtexas is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 05:38 AM   #52
cpark
"TRF" Member
 
cpark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 353
I got to give the OP props for calling out that post even when people felt differently. Takes a lot of courage to go against the grain. Well done!
cpark is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 05:42 AM   #53
dcfella
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: MD
Posts: 18
Very informative thread. As someone who has been looking at this watch(along with the No-Date) as his first Rolex, this is very eye opening.
dcfella is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 05:50 AM   #54
77T
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 30,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by southtexas View Post
Out of curiosity, what is our operating policy here towards identifying "tells" of a fake? Seems I've seen many threads where people point out exactly what's wrong with a watch, and other threads where it's frowned upon because it gives the counterfeiters info with which to make them (fakes) "better".

I, personally, really enjoy this sub forum and have used it in the past when I wasn't 100% on something. I hope people like OP aren't discouraged from speaking their minds on here, so maybe it would be useful to give us some forum etiquette pointers as to the proper way to initiate a "call out" thread (like this one)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I don't make policies here but this has been my personal approach since you asked:
  • Never comment on "tells" in PMs from unknown members.
  • Never make general comments about replicas in public forum space.
  • Only point out areas of concern when the post requests help here in WatchOut and when pics have been provided.

The reason for skipping generalities is that it solves nothing. The reason for pointing out clear problems on watch in pictures is to help members.

The fakirs have plenty of resources including genuine Rolex models to copy - they aren't learning anything here.
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now  
Old 21 July 2016, 06:02 AM   #55
77T
2019 SKY-DWELLER Pledge Member
 
77T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Real Name: PaulG
Location: Georgia
Posts: 30,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by sachal007 View Post
things you guys make me do while I am at work :D



If you still think this is gen, then be it!
I think you have made a clear case and the side-by-side shows the differences.

For the seller, thanks for the clearer pics - the easiest thing to do is drop by closest AD to have it opened up and pressure checked. A simple step that will confirm things one way or the other.

The movement will be either genuine or not and their watchmaker can tell you what's up.
__________________


Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now  
Old 21 July 2016, 06:23 AM   #56
karanrolex1984
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: USA
Posts: 22
Sold my last Submariner G series

@ Eric/ Freefly - I owned a 2009 Submariner which I sold through ebay. Happy to provide proof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2009 Rolex - G Series.jpg (59.1 KB, 661 views)
karanrolex1984 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 06:26 AM   #57
vitorolex88
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 21
I've been following this thread all day, great posts by all TRF members very informative!
__________________
Rolex Submariner 116610LN
Rolex Datejust 116234
Rolex Datejust 116200
vitorolex88 is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 06:37 AM   #58
artschool
"TRF" Member
 
artschool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: uk
Watch: 116600,114060
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpark View Post
I got to give the OP props for calling out that post even when people felt differently. Takes a lot of courage to go against the grain. Well done!
seconded
artschool is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 06:50 AM   #59
onkyo
"TRF" Member
 
onkyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Real Name: Pav
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 11,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by karanrolex1984 View Post
Dear All,

Thanks for all your suggestions. I posted new pictures as requested.

I did list the watch on ebay and withdrew it till I have 100% clarity.

Can any of you experts call me 843.325.6618

Thanks
Karanrolex1984, can you tell us where you sourced this watch from ?
onkyo is offline  
Old 21 July 2016, 06:54 AM   #60
richamby
"TRF" Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Real Name: Ric
Location: USA
Posts: 158
+3
richamby is offline  
Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


*Banner Of The Month*
This space is provided to horological resources.





Copyright 2004-2019, The Rolex Forums. All Rights Reserved.

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Rolex is a registered trademark of ROLEX USA. The Rolex Forums is not affiliated with ROLEX USA in any way.