The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 26 January 2020, 04:28 PM   #1
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Watch: me post!
Pam 1048

Hey guys wanted to find out some more information about this particular piece. I have always liked Panerai as a brand and admired them from a far. The only that that has kept me from owning one is buying a watch that really is too big for my wrist. The 1048 seems like something I could have the chance to pull off.

Curious to ask you guys that own Panerai watches, how is this piece generally viewed? The fact that it’s not an original 44 mm case size, is it deemed the red headed step child of the brand? Also are these pieces fairly easy to get discounts on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
boogiebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 05:40 PM   #2
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

40 mm Panerai have been around for well over a decade, and with 300 meter water resistance and screw down back, they have their place in the collection, IMHO. But, if you have not already, I would try out several sizes to be sure. Panerai is meant to be large, and with the short and curved lugs, they wear well, even at a larger size.

Good luck with the hunt and pre-congrats on the incoming! :-)
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 January 2020, 08:04 PM   #3
ASW1
"TRF" Member

I would mirror the suggestion to not assume that they are too large. Many models wear differently due to dial size, thickness, weight, bezel and type of crystal (a dome wears smaller than flat) and material - shiny steel looks bigger than brushed titanium.

IMO some larger ones have better proportions than smaller ones.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
ASW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:49 AM   #4
Easydeals
"TRF" Member

Watch: Pam995
45mm radiomir wears very well on small wrists.
Easydeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 01:10 AM   #5
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easydeals View Post
I second this. I recently tried on a 992 and was surprised how well a 45mm watch wore on my 7 inch wrist. I imagine the wire lugs helped.
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 08:16 AM   #6
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
40 mm Panerai have been around for well over a decade, and with 300 meter water resistance and screw down back, they have their place in the collection, IMHO. But, if you have not already, I would try out several sizes to be sure. Panerai is meant to be large, and with the short and curved lugs, they wear well, even at a larger size.

Good luck with the hunt and pre-congrats on the incoming! :-)

Hey thanks Cru. I have seen a few 312 in steel and even had the chance to try one on but it felt very large. It was reminiscent in size to a Breitling super avenger due to its thickness. I’m gonna try to get into the store and do some shopping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easydeals View Post

Will keep this in mind. The radiomir at this point don’t quite sing to me, but they are a very nice piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASW1 View Post
I would mirror the suggestion to not assume that they are too large. Many models wear differently due to dial size, thickness, weight, bezel and type of crystal (a dome wears smaller than flat) and material - shiny steel looks bigger than brushed titanium.

IMO some larger ones have better proportions than smaller ones.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

This is true. As long as the lug to life width doesn’t exceed my wrist width anything is possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mps354 View Post
I second this. I recently tried on a 992 and was surprised how well a 45mm watch wore on my 7 inch wrist. I imagine the wire lugs helped.

Is this a contender for you? The life for sure help to keep the size down.

Old 27 January 2020, 08:38 AM   #7
Cru Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogiebot View Post
Hey thanks Cru. I have seen a few 312 in steel and even had the chance to try one on but it felt very large. It was reminiscent in size to a Breitling super avenger due to its thickness. I’m gonna try to get into the store and do some shopping.
I hear you....But it’s not just the diameter. Back in the day, I also avoided the 1950 auto models due to the thickness and how they sat on my wrist. But the Bettarini case models (111, 000, 104, etc), despite also being 44, are thinner and visually wear flatter on the wrist. And that’s what I went for. And today, the 1950 autos are thinner, so you maybe also try a 1312, etc.
Old 27 January 2020, 08:50 AM   #8
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hear you....But it’s not just the diameter. Back in the day, I also avoided the 1950 auto models due to the thickness and how they sat on my wrist. But the Bettarini case models (111, 000, 104, etc), despite also being 44, are thinner and visually wear flatter on the wrist. And that’s what I went for. And today, the 1950 autos are thinner, so you maybe also try a 1312, etc.

Oh I totally agree. The 1950 case is a beast of a case. I did like the 104 quite a bit. Correct me if I am wrong but the 104 is ETA based? What would you recommend that is in house movement with the bettarini cases?

Old 27 January 2020, 09:15 AM   #9
Cru Jones

Quote:
Oh I totally agree. The 1950 case is a beast of a case. I did like the 104 quite a bit. Correct me if I am wrong but the 104 is ETA based? What would you recommend that is in house movement with the bettarini cases?

Maybe try out one of the 8-Day range like the 564, 779 or 915? There are many more - just giving a couple of examples.
Old 27 January 2020, 11:27 AM   #10
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Very solid advice from Crue.

I tried out the 915 back in Dec. It looks even better, IMHO, live. You also have the 914 without the second hand. Looks great as well.

915.jpg

914.jpg

Cheers,
Joe
Old 27 January 2020, 11:37 AM   #11
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
Originally Posted by multimedia View Post
Very solid advice from Crue. I tried out the 915 back in Dec. It looks even better, IMHO, live. You also have the 914 without the second hand. Looks great as well.
Is the 914 in stores already?
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 January 2020, 12:16 PM   #12
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F131F View Post
Is the 914 in stores already?
Not sure world wide. But one of the boutiques here in HK had it in stock mid Dec. Tried it on very quickly = strap not adjusted, etc. But felt good and again, looked very nice. And as always, wrist shots doesn’t do “real life” experience justice. Always looks huge in pics... ;)

B2EA3E65-E092-4D2E-8149-455F2B27C7F7.jpeg

2229B20C-F971-4F59-9290-DD88B269CF5B.jpeg

Cheers,
Joe
Old 27 January 2020, 01:23 PM   #13
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Maybe try out one of the 8-Day range like the 564, 779 or 915? There are many more - just giving a couple of examples.

Ok I will try to track down these references at my local AD. Thanks for the suggestions.

Quote:
Not sure world wide. But one of the boutiques here in HK had it in stock mid Dec. Tried it on very quickly = strap not adjusted, etc. But felt good and again, looked very nice. And as always, wrist shots doesn’t do “real life” experience justice. Always looks huge in pics... ;)

Attachment 1104721

Attachment 1104722

Cheers,
Joe

Joe thanks for posting the wrist pics. Watch look awesome. I have always been drawn to the simplicity of their dials. Quick question, whats your wrist size?

Old 27 January 2020, 03:16 PM   #14
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quick question, whats your wrist size?
Just measured, and it’s currently at 6.9'/ 17.5cm. But varies a bit depending on humidity etc. My wrist is flat, which one should also consider when measuring a wrist. A flat 6.5 can sometimes work better with a bigger sized watch compared to a +7 inch “rounder” wrist. I used to own a 372 and never had any comments it looked to big. Sure, many people probably though it looked massive. Then again, they had probably never heard of, or seen, a Panerai before. As is usually the case in real life = outside this fantasy nerd forum world :chuckle

Cheers,
Joe
Old 27 January 2020, 03:24 PM   #15
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Just measured, and it’s currently at 6.9'/ 17.5cm. But varies a bit depending on humidity etc. My frist is flat, which one should also consider when measuring a wrist. A flat 6.5 can sometimes work better with a bigger sized watch compared to a +7 inch “rounder” wrist. I used to own a 372 and never had any comments it looked to big. Sure, many people probably though it looked massive. Then again, they had probably never heard or seen a Panerai before. As is usually the case in real life = outside this fantasy nerd forum world :chuckle

Cheers,
Joe

This is a very good point of a flat wrist. That’s one of the main reasons I never bought a ROO.

I think we have very similar wrist sizes so thats why I asked. I really like the loon of this Pam. Looks awesome.

Old 27 January 2020, 03:31 PM   #16
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Cool :) Yeah I agree. And again, it looks even better live. Also remember when trying on a watch in the boutique they usually don’t allow you to adjust the strap so it fits the wrist perfectly = hence the watch, in my experience, tend to hang a bit on the looser side compared when you adjust your own watch (to hopefully perfection). And wrist shorts, IMHO, always tend to look a bit weird, especially when it comes to a Pam = they look way bigger on the wrist compared to how it is in “real life”. :)

It’s definitely worth having a visit to your dealer/local boutique to see if they have this one.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 28 January 2020, 02:59 AM   #17
F131F
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Submariner 14060A
Quote:
I was asking about the 914. Our local boutique has had the 915 in stock since early December.
F131F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 January 2020, 10:12 AM   #18
multimedia
"TRF" Member

Yeah I saw that last night when I had already answered you. Sorry about that :)

It seems to be available here in HK because they have the price for it on the website which usually means it’s available. Though I haven’t visited one of the 3 boutiques we have here, so can’t know for sure. Also, prices are up on the website in UK, Ita, Can, etc. However not yet in the US.

Cheers,
Joe
Old 8 February 2020, 11:53 AM   #19
boogiebot
"TRF" Member

Quick update, this thread is about to take a serious turn. Stay tuned...